Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,130 members, 7,835,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars (3270 Views)

Fuel Scarcity Hits Lagos, Litre Goes For 120 / Kaduna Beggars Protest Ban By Government (Photo) / Fuel Scarcity Hits Lagos, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by moneygurl: 7:49pm On Mar 23, 2009
The global economic recession that has hit the banks and drained the purse of some super rich men across the globe has eaten deep into the daily income of street beggars in Lagos state, P.M.NEWS can authoritatively reveal.

Investigations across the nooks and crannies of the state revealed that since the global meltdown started a couple of months ago, beggars on Lagos streets have been finding it difficult to survive. Some of them like Mallam Mohammed Baba, Mallam Ado Na Ahamdu, Abdullai Gambo, Sefiat, Barna, said they are also groaning, as their purses have grown lean.

A large number of the beggars, who reside at the Destitute Camp, Oko-Oba, Ebute-Metta, Lagos, complained bitterly that the number of muslims, especially those who usually give them the obligatory Zakat on Fridays, has dropped, while the number of christians who give them alms on Sundays, has also dropped sharply.

Speaking with P.M.NEWS, the secretary of the camp, Mallam Mohammed Baba, said: ”This is definitely not the best of times for us here at the camp. No more free movement on the streets to beg for alms; no more supply of water, electricity and healthcare at the camp. Only last week, some of us were arrested on the streets and we had to pay roughly N40,000 to bail them.”

Chairman of the destitute camp, Mallam Ado Na Ahmadu, also appealed to governor Babatunde Raji Fashola to assist the inmates at the camp or allow them to beg on the streets for survival. “Twelve year ago, we were moved here by the former military administrator of the state, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa, who was always giving us money for our upkeep. Fashola should allow us to beg on the streets if he cannot feed us. He should leave us alone to beg,” he said.

Speaking on behalf of the blind men and women at the camp, the Serikin Mogaji, Lagos state, Alhaji Abdul Amid, appealed to the government to stop arresting them while begging on the roads. ”They should leave us alone. We can not go back to our states alone,” he added. The general complain by all the beggars spoken to, in all the places visited by P.M.NEWS, is that of lean purses. At Obalende, a woman, who simply identified herself as Sefinat, described street begging as a lucrative business.

”I came from Maiduguri. Two of my children also beg for alms. Last year, I made as much as N2,000 daily but since last month I have been making less than N1,000. In my village, I am a proud owner of a hut,” she stated. At Ojuelegba, a physically-disabled young man on a wheelchair, who refused to disclose his name, vowed not to quit begging.

“I come here everyday from Alagbado Crossing, in Ogun state. Sympathisers going to their places of work usually drop money for me. I realise between N2,000 and N3,000 daily. Out of this, I will settle my aide with N600 or N800. But, since last month, my income has dropped. It has dwindled to between N1,500 and N1,000 daily,” he revealed.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/03/23/global-meltdown-hits-lagos

This is the problem with this beggars, they come from other states expect the government to help them, what about their own state government.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by SuperPap: 8:18pm On Mar 23, 2009
Only PM News would conduct such painstaking research into bullcrap.
Thank you PM News for an unnecessary, stupid article.
Thank you for a wonderfully informative waste of paper, wood and space. Thank you.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 23, 2009
haaaaaaaaaa cheesy

This beggars are complaining! They are Bagas!

Making 3k daily! Imagine! 90k per month! Currently making 1,000 - 1,500 NGN and dey making NOISE

EWO! EKO FOR SHOW!
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by devayid(m): 8:42pm On Mar 23, 2009
these beggars make more than a lot of workers and freaking hell they also have a proper bureaucracy, that's just wrong, wrong I tell you!
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by mustafar1: 8:51pm On Mar 23, 2009
funny stuff, they have Chairman, Secretary, P.R.O. those who call it a business no lie. cos dem sef they find bailout package.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by LeMoor(m): 9:00pm On Mar 23, 2009
Hmm, They might just be setting themslves up to be target for armed robbers, Apparently, they are cash rich.

Didnt realise it was such good business. No taxes, no rent, no transportation fees,
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Fhemmmy: 9:08pm On Mar 23, 2009
Na wa oh, they even have chairman, soon, they will be contesting to have a presido.
I wish the economy of the nation can get better, get some pple jobs and maybe they cld be off the street.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Pataki: 9:17pm On Mar 23, 2009
SuperPap:

Only PM News would conduct such painstaking research into bullcrap.
Thank you PM News for an unnecessary, stupid article.
Thank you for a wonderfully informative waste of paper, wood and space. Thank you.
I would not easily want to call it a stupid article if I were you. The report indicates that some people have now seen begging as a lucrative business, giving insights into how much is being made and what the global meltdown is having on them at the moment.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by tpia: 9:45pm On Mar 23, 2009
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Fhemmmy: 9:46pm On Mar 23, 2009
tpia:

In America, its welfare. In Nigeria, its begging.

Even with welfare, there are still begging in America
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Skywalker5(m): 10:00pm On Mar 23, 2009
This beggars make more money than some graduate.

WTF
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by server34(m): 10:35pm On Mar 23, 2009
Sky-walker:

Most graduates.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by royalicon(m): 10:49pm On Mar 23, 2009
I think the PM NEWS Newscaster is making a Business Research on Street Begging.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Em2va: 12:56am On Mar 24, 2009
U guyz shuld be careful d way U talk about the less privilged. U say they are making money? Are they the ones eating it, stop and think of that for a moment?!
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Ifygurl: 6:59am On Mar 24, 2009
So begging make this amount of money in Naija. Abeg, make i get into this business, sike but damn. Begging is kind of like a business. Why are they complaining, the people making money by begging should be the ones complaining.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 24, 2009
Proof that people in Nigeria DO NOT live on less than $1 a day. Now the United States Government/ the CIA needs to shut the f uck up.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by oluite(f): 11:26am On Mar 24, 2009
na wa.beggars are really makin it 2k a day dats 14k in 7 days since they beg daily n in a month dats abot 56k and they ar complaining, it has dropped !!wen they are earning more than some graduates!!Dont d papers av better news to report these days?
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by sleekp1: 11:35am On Mar 24, 2009
Sky-walker:

WTF

My friend don't be jealous, why not start your own begging business? Shebi most of you here said begging is easy?
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by desgiezd(m): 11:46am On Mar 24, 2009
Ifygurl:

So begging make this amount of money in Naija. Abeg, make i get into this business

Ifygurl, I pray this wouldn't be your portion.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by chrisical(m): 12:02pm On Mar 24, 2009
E no easy for this country o
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by emmaco24(m): 12:51pm On Mar 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Na wa oh, they even have chairman, soon, they will be contesting to have a presido.
I wish the economy of the nation can get better, get some pple jobs and maybe they cld be off the street.

You just don't get it.The economy getting better is not the solution.Some people just can't do without begging.It's in their blood.
Even if you give them a plum job today,they cannot perform because they are lazy and used to people giving them money.
Well sha, I'm not against them because I use them to attract blessings from God so I like giving them whenever I have the opportunity.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by gentlegg(m): 1:04pm On Mar 24, 2009
If you think begging is easy and gives money, just carry a plate and stand by Oshodi-oke bus stop begging from 12noon, till 3pm in the tick of the sun, then come back to nairaland and tell us how it was. And probably, by then you will have enough pity for beggars.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by waterworks(f): 2:20pm On Mar 24, 2009
EHNN CAN U IMAGINE? 3K DAILY FOR FREE AND THEY ARE STILL COMPLAINING?
THEY ARE MAKING MORE THAN A LOT OF PEOPLE!
making more than all dose jobless graduates out there. making mch more than some who even have jobs. i can say now that i actually respect them more now! wat the hell? can u imagine meanwhile u are bring from ure pocket to give those making more than u!
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by JustGood(m): 2:28pm On Mar 24, 2009
waterworks:

making more than all dose jobless graduates out there. making mch more than some who even have jobs. i can say now that i actually respect them more now! wat the hell? can u imagine meanwhile u are bring from ure pocket to give those making more than u!

That happens at most parties when they spray the millionaire musicians
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by moneygurl: 2:30pm On Mar 24, 2009
I think there is a bigger picture here. some men are using this children as a business, making them to go out and beg and collecting the money from them. The government should take this issue seriously.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by waterworks(f): 2:44pm On Mar 24, 2009
@ JUST GOOD.
i dey tell u.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by smurf1(f): 3:47pm On Mar 24, 2009
What else is to be expected, undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed its a chain effect, shocked shocked
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by akinalabi(m): 4:08pm On Mar 24, 2009
sugabelly:

Proof that people in Nigeria DO NOT live on less than $1 a day. Now the United States Government/ the CIA needs to shut the f uck up.

I never believed it for a second. You cant go hungry in Naija grin
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by comfort3: 4:30pm On Mar 24, 2009
:-x
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by Fhemmmy: 5:39pm On Mar 24, 2009
emmaco24:

You just don't get it.The economy getting better is not the solution.Some people just can't do without begging.It's in their blood.
Even if you give them a plum job today,they cannot perform because they are lazy and used to people giving them money.
Well sha, I'm not against them because I use them to attract blessings from God so I like giving them whenever I have the opportunity.

When you give, u make sure it comes from your heart and not only cos you want to attract the blessings of God.
When i give, i give with care, cos i will never give money to anyone that i know will use the money for smoking.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by mrofficial(m): 7:48pm On Mar 24, 2009
waterworks:

If you think they earn more than graduates, you too can start doing it, if you are one the graduates. Since it's lucrative. Nonsense, they wish they were like you. not living by welfare abi na begging.
Re: Global Meltdown Hits Lagos Beggars by tpia: 8:00pm On Mar 24, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pdp Urges Jonathan To Probe Looting / Kano Again!! Boko Haram Bombs Kano State Polytechnic / An Interview With A Soldier On Boko Haram.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.