Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Ten Commonly Confused Words Beginning With I-L [part 1] - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ten Commonly Confused Words Beginning With I-L [part 1] (416 Views)

The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / Top 10 Words Confused In English Beginning With Letter “M” / Ten Commonly Confused Words Beginning With I-L [part 2] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ten Commonly Confused Words Beginning With I-L [part 1] by TRWConsult(m): 7:56pm On Aug 12, 2015
Below are ten commonly confused word pairs beginning with the letters I-L

1. illicit / elicit
Illicit is an adjective meaning, “not allowed by law or social conventions.” Elicit is a verb meaning, “to draw out a reply or reaction.”

2. imply / infer
Increasing numbers of speakers ignore the distinction between these words, but it remains a useful one. Imply is “to suggest indirectly.” Infer is “to draw a conclusion.”

3. it’s / its
Despite the hundreds, perhaps thousands of explanations to be found on the Web regarding the difference between these two spellings, the mistake of writing it’s for its remains the most common written error of them all.

It’s is the contracted form of the words it and is. Its is the possessive adjective that corresponds to his and their:

Max has dyed his hair red.
The children have passed their exams.
The cat has paint on its tail.

4. jibe / jive
The most common error with this pair is to use jive, a word that derives from musical terminology, in a context that calls for jibe, a word that means, “to agree with.” Here are two correct uses of the word jibe:

His interpretation of the law doesn’t jibe with mine.
Your explanation does not jibe with the facts.

5. loath / loathe
Loath (pronounced with an unvoiced th like the one in thin) is an adjective originally meaning hostile, angry, or spiteful. In modern usage it means averse, disinclined, reluctant, or unwilling, as in this New York Times headline:” Inquiry Goes To Committee That May Be Loath to Act.” A variant spelling is loth.

Loathe (pronounced with a voiced th like the one in this) is a verb meaning “to feel strong aversion for” as in the title of a TED topic: “Why Do So Many People Loathe Their Jobs?”

Note: TED is a nonprofit organization that sponsors and broadcasts lectures on various social issues. The name is an acronym formed from the words Technology, Entertainment, and Design.

Credit: DWT

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

University Of MAIDUGURI UNIMAID 2015/2016 Post UTME Forms, Direct Entry Forms, D / Free Acca Lectures (knowledge Stage) - Sales Tax / Future Is Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.