Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,437 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds (2996 Views)

It Was Sacrilegious For APC Governors To Boycott Ooni’s Burial – Afenifere / Aregbesola Shuns Ooni's Burial For Lagos Meeting / Osinbajo's Protocol Officers Clash Over Aregbesola's Table At Ooni's Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by AlexReports(m): 9:04pm On Aug 13, 2015
OONI of Ife Oba Okunade Sijuwade’s burial has been put on hold after a man elected to be buried alive with the monarch absconded unwilling to be the one to keep the king company in the afterlife. Unconfirmed reports from Ile-Ife indicate that the designated person to be buried alive alongside the monarch, known traditionally as the Abobaku, took to his heels for dear life…see the photo of the running man below:

In Ile-Ife culture, the Abobaku is a person selected by the traditional chiefs to live and die with the king and is treated well and showered with a lot of care and gifts while alive. Apparently, the incumbent Abobaku ran away following the confirmation of the death of the Ooni earlier this month. Despite denials of the death by the Traditional Royal Council of Ife, he refused to wait for confirmation and has been at large ever since.

According to Yoruba tradition, a king does not die alone and his burial rites include being buried with other people. An Abobaku lives his life for the king and is buried alongside the monarch. In the authentic tradition, just as there is a lineage that becomes king, there is also always a family dedicated to the ancient belief of dying with the king. It is not yet clear if the Traditional Royal Council will go ahead with the funeral following the disappearance of the Abobaku.

Earlier this month, the traditional authorities in Ile-Ife said that there will be no human sacrifice involved in the burial of Oba Sijuwade. Apparently, Oba Sijuwade abolished human sacrifices when he was still on the throne and was said to have appealed to the gods to help put a stop to human sacrifice, describing the act as barbaric, callous and inhuman.

Prominent Ifa priest, Chief Ifayemi Elebuibon, confirmed the abolition of the practice, adding that what will happen instead is that the cows will be dressed up to make them look like humans. Oba Sijuwade, 85, was the 50th monarch of Ile-Ife believed to be cradle of Yoruba civilisation and the ancestral home of all Oduduwa’s offspring.

http://www.alexreports.info/2015/08/obariogwa-ooni-of-ifes-burial-delayed.html

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by joystickextendr: 9:07pm On Aug 13, 2015
issokay
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by DuchessLily(f): 9:12pm On Aug 13, 2015
Why won't he abscond? Na who wan die??

Use one of the king's sons .. Barbaric tradition

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by ChappyChase: 9:14pm On Aug 13, 2015
Hello! Are some people still living at the stone age?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 13, 2015
Who no go run If Na you, you go stay?
Fire From above Burn Tradition!

1 Like

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by MrCounselor: 9:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
Even for say Naija no sweet nobody wan die notwithstanding.

1 Like

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by simeonii(m): 9:25pm On Aug 13, 2015
cheesy grin

4 Likes

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by seedgreen(m): 9:27pm On Aug 13, 2015
Following
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Juxtified(m): 9:29pm On Aug 13, 2015
They should bury one of his sons with him, afteralk who's better suited to keep him company than his own blood?

2 Likes

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Eeser: 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2015
Abobaku
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by micronut(m): 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2015
Alex Reporters, you know you can be sued for this crap you wrote? You brought skirmishes of old news together to feed the public with lies.... Please, do us a favour by showing the following;

1. Where. the interview with chief Yemi Elebubon was held? if i it is not outdated interview.

2. Where did you get your findings that "Ife king" had an abobaku? If so, kindly tell us his name for Nigerians, because we wish to know.

3. Thirdly why do you hungry bloggers just weave nonsense together just to sell and gain traffic? The picture u pasted there is during one of ifa annual festival weeks, the two men you showed are dead, one is Agbongbon of the source, chief Akanni Falolu.

If you can not provide answers to the given questions, then am seriously disappointed.

How bloggers and lie crooners have suddenly come up with nonsense on daily basis, is becoming worrisome... I laugh most time when i see fabricated stories just to feed uninformed Nigerians.

Let me set it straight, "No Such thing as Abobaku in Any Yoruba land again and even Ile-ife" I challenge you to come with your evidence and i stand to be corrected.

As an indigene of ile-ife with requisite knowledge of Ife chieftaincy and Culture... It is important to make many Nigerians know that the issue of"Abobaku" was last witnessed in any Yoruba land, almost like 4 generations ago, Ooni never had any Abobaku, and nothing of such even in the days of his immediate predecessor, Sir Adesoji Aderemi who died in 1980. The closest to Ooni of Ife in any form or loyalty rank is called "Sarun Odua" and he is even an High chief. I wish Nigerians should fear God, as they have nothing to gain by discrediting YORUBA culture, just to make a point. If there is anything of such, tell us the name of the bearer. People should not just sit in their room and start twitting what is never the truth...

We should endeavour to get our facts right and never join badwagons to Paint Our Culture red. We should only condemn what is inhumane and not be an advocate to issues that makes mockery of the revered "Traditional Institution".

This is not the best way to correct certain norms, a false alarm is not only detrimental but also undignifying.

16 Likes

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Duru1(m): 9:44pm On Aug 13, 2015
micronut:
Alex Reporters, you know you can be sued for this crap you wrote? You brought skirmishes of old news together to feed the public with lies.... Please, do us a favour by showing the following;
1. Where. the interview with chief yemi elebubon was held? if i it is not outdated interview.

2. Where did you get your findings that "Ife king" had an abobaku? If so, kind tell us his name for nigerians, because we wish to know.

3. Thirdly why do you hungry bloggers just weave nonsense together just to sell and gain traffic? The picture u pasted there is during one of ifa weeks, the two men you showed are dead, one is agbongbon of the source, chief Akanni Falolu.

If you can not provide answers to the given questions, then am seriously disappointed.

How bloggers and lie crooners have suddenly come up with nonsense on daily basis, is becoming worrisome... I laugh most time when i see fabricated stories just to feed uninformed Nigerians.

Let me set it straight, "No Such thing as Abobaku in Any Yoruba land again and even Ile-ife" I challenge you to come with your evidence and i stand to be corrected.

As an indigene of ile-ife with requisite knowledge of Ife chieftaincy and Culture... It is important to make many Nigerians know that the issue of"Abobaku" was last witnessed in any Yoruba land, almost like 4 generations ago, Ooni never had any Abobaku, and nothing of such even in the days of his immediate predecessor, Sir Adesoji Aderemi who died in 1980. The closest to Ooni of Ife in any form or loyalty rank is called "Sarun Odua" and he is even an High chief. I wish Nigerians should fear God, as they have nothing to gain by discrediting YORUBA culture, just to make a point. If there is anything of such, tell us the name of the bearer. People should not just sit in their room and start twitting what is never the truth...

We should endeavour to get our facts right and never join badwagons to Paint Our Culture red. We should only condemn what is inhumane and not be an advocate to issues that makes mockery of the revered "Traditional Institution".

This is not the best way to correct certain norms, a false alarm is not only detrimental but also undignifying.

The above post is a silly bunkum and waste of Internet bandwidth. Is Saul also among the prophets? You may hail from Ife but I bet you are far removed from the intrigues that surround the burial of Ooni of Ife.

2 Likes

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by micronut(m): 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2015
Duru1:

The above post is a silly bunkum and waste of Internet bandwidth. Is Saul also among the prophets? You may hail from Ife but I bet you are far removed from the intrigues that surround the burial of Ooni of Ife.

Funny, how do you know am far away from the intrigues? if i, a son of the soil is far away, how much more an abuja blogger who i can bet has not visited ife before, yet claim to know more.. I pity many Nigerians, this is same way they told us wrong buhari son, until the innocent guy came out to say he is not...... All i ask for is an evidence of an Abobaku in ife? Atleast the writer should know about him, since he knows so much about the inner intrigues....

Smh! I can tell u the names of ife chiefs, titles and line of duities.... NO one is an Abobaku, its a folklore or age long practices that the media just feel to play with...

7 Likes

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by bjprodint(f): 10:23pm On Aug 13, 2015
Make dem put abobaku pix online make we see I'm face
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Harmvirus(f): 10:34pm On Aug 13, 2015
So this rubbish tradition still exist? When he was born, did he come with anybody.
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 13, 2015
Yoruba people Sabi fear. Fear-fear people grin grin; they re cowards

No wonder Pa Awo killed himself
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by coolitempa(f): 10:45pm On Aug 13, 2015
i have actually been to the Ooni's palace a few times.......even thought I am not from ife but lagos and we are one......and I can tell you that.....tradition is not joked with....but......this abobaku stuff is nonsense.......it does not exist..... cheesy.....
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by TechRev: 11:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
The zooological republic of Nigeria. Some bury their own alive, some rape little kids and slaughter farmers while the constitution and the government mopes hopelessly with a dullard on the camel.
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by delpee(f): 11:14pm On Aug 13, 2015
Best thing is to ignore fake news. Those who know there's abobaku should give us his name. Yeye bloggers that can't do simple research. angry

1 Like

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by MozB: 1:05am On Aug 14, 2015
Lol... All this one una de here de make noise, Abobaku bin don run since. As we speak now, him still de run. I saw something run pass me not long ago. Long live nigerians, long live Ooni
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Ezyp(m): 1:24am On Aug 14, 2015

According to Yoruba tradition, a king does not die alone and his burial rites include being buried with other people.
Na waooo this people still de leave this kind stone age life
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Ghandi12: 5:43am On Aug 14, 2015
micronut:
1. Where. the interview with chief Yemi Elebubon was held? if i it is not outdated interview.
2. Where did you get your findings that "Ife king" had an abobaku? If so, kindly tell us his name for Nigerians, because we wish to know.
3. Thirdly why do you hungry bloggers just weave nonsense together just to sell and gain traffic? The picture u pasted there is during one of ifa annual festival weeks, the two men you showed are dead, one is Agbongbon of the source, chief Akanni Falolu.

Thanks for these information
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by ArodewilliamsT: 6:06am On Aug 14, 2015
micronut:

Why are yorubas still very fetish in this age. The blogger is even trying help your image by claiming that human sacrifices no longer happen in yorubaland but you and i know that's a big lie. yorubaland is not the Ritual capital of the world for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by engrlarex(m): 6:44am On Aug 14, 2015
I remembered 2008 when I was in federal Polytechnic ilaro, when the king died, what dey did was a 3 consecutive days Ooro and we never heard of anything like Abobaku. So I believe there is nothing like Abobaku Abeg.
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 14, 2015
LWTMB

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 14, 2015
cheesy cheesy
Nigga don run? grin grin
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by kuuljay(m): 7:59am On Aug 14, 2015
history or coincidence...those who have read Prof.Wale Soyinkas DEATH AND THE KINGS HORSEMAN. will understand me

meanwhile

Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 14, 2015
Dude already look dead to me. grin grin He should just surrender himself and do the needful.

On a serious note, does this barbaric act still occur in today's world? The rest of the world should stand up and demand for this man after Ooni's burial to make sure he survives him.
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by chronique(m): 8:13am On Aug 14, 2015
Before nko? When king dey alive,dem nor worship am as king but dem want make him die with king;which kind rough play be that? Omo,make d man run as fast and as far as him fit reach;the late oba should go home alone.
Re: Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds by BRAV0O(m): 8:37am On Aug 14, 2015
Alexrepoters u can lie sha , ah! Abeg any mod on duty should help us move dis jungle justice thread to joke section jare!

Oloju ede oshi angry

(1) (Reply)

Why Tinubu Is After Me-bukola Saraki / Britain Had Secret Plan Never To Educate Northern Nigerian Muslims - Sanusi L S / Meet The Nigerian Media Mogul Who Helped 3 Presidents Get Elected (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.