Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,815 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* (1767 Views)

Russia Unveils Superman Suit That Allows Soldiers To Walk Through Fire&Explosion / Top Six Most Endangered Animals In Nigeria(pics, Video) / Paul Allen Unveils World's Largest Plane With Two Cockpits(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by khalhokage(m): 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2015

Newest flexible technology. LG Display

LG Display continues to be the leading pioneer in flexible technology - debuting its new flexible TV panel at an event in Korea this week.
18 inches wide, the screen offers high definition viewing and 1 million megapixels – but can be rolled up into a 3 cm radius without damage to the screen or technology.

The screen was made possible by its OLED , or organic light emitting diode, technology, which allows it to be lighter, thinner and more flexible than standard LCD screens.

At an event in Korea earlier this week, LG demonstrated its newest flexible display screens, which are 55 inches wide and paper-thin at 0.97 mm thick, and weigh just 1.9 kg – all the while still offering high definition. Attachable to surfaces via magnets, the new screen can be fitted to curved walls.

Paper thin TV display can be stuck to curved surfaces via magnets. LG Display.

The benefits of this technology are that eventually, bendable TVs, tablets and smartphones will be much easier to transport and a lot less likely to sustain damage. Other companies such as Apple and Samsung have also been developing the technology – but although Apple offered up its most malleable iPhone yet in the form of the 6th generation smartphone, and Samsung previously promised flexible smartphones in 2015, neither have released any devices with the new fully-flexible technology.

LG Display uploaded a video to YouTube showing the screen in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbHpXE4VM0

Source: CNET
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 14, 2015
With the help of technology, i think we can boast of heaven on earth
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Kingsasian(m): 3:33pm On Aug 14, 2015
Choi! Technology!
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 14, 2015
Nice technology.
Unfortunately, it may not be successful.
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by khalhokage(m): 3:52pm On Aug 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
Nice technology.
Unfortunately, it may not be successful.
What do you mean?
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2015
khalhokage:

What do you mean?
holograms.
Computers that project screens into the real world. These screens can be resized, bent, and manipulated in anyway because they are virtual constructs.
Who needs a flexible screen when you can have five or more, following you around anywhere you go? And that you can resize at will?

So, one can only hope that we find this technology attractive enough to choose it.
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by khalhokage(m): 4:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
holograms.
Computers that project screens into the real world. These screens can be resized, bent, and manipulated in anyway because they are virtual constructs.
Who needs a flexible screen when you can have five or more, following you around anywhere you go? And that you can resize at will?

So, one can only hope that we find this technology attractive enough to choose it.

Holographic displays are still a concept, when they become a reality then maybe they'll outpace current display technology, like flexible displays which exist now.
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 14, 2015
khalhokage:

Holographic displays are still a concept, when they become a reality then maybe they'll outpace current display technology, like flexible displays which exist now.
kindly google search microsof hololens Demo wink

after that, go on to google magic leap.
Then tell me what you think. smiley
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by khalhokage(m): 4:56pm On Aug 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
kindly google search microsof hololens Demo wink

after that, go on to google magic leap.
Then tell me what you think. smiley

You're talking about Augmented reality? seriously man 1st those are not hologram displays,
2nd these two technologies have different applications, they're not competing with each other, it's like saying the oculus rift is going to replace pc monitors.
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 14, 2015
khalhokage:

You're talking about Augmented reality? seriously man 1st those are not hologram displays,
2nd these two technologies have different applications, they're not competing with each other, it's like saying the oculus rift is going to replace pc monitors.
you're right. They're not competing. In fact, this technology might be later used to power augmented reality devices.

I'm agreeing with you on this one. cheesy the technology seems to have potential, now that I think of it, so, we will have to wait and watch.

Meanwhile, holographic displays now have a new meaning . . . apparently. Much different from what you think they are . . .
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 14, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by khalhokage(m): 9:21pm On Aug 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
you're right. They're not competing. In fact, this technology might be later used to power augmented reality devices.

I'm agreeing with you on this one. cheesy the technology seems to have potential, now that I think of it, so, we will have to wait and watch.

Meanwhile, holographic displays now have a new meaning . . . apparently. Much different from what you think they are . . .

Ok let me correct you one more time, it may power virtual reality devices not Augmented reality.

And yes holographic displays now seem to mean something different to what everyone thought they would be in the past.
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 14, 2015
khalhokage:

Ok let me correct you one more time, it may power virtual reality devices not Augmented reality.

And yes holographic displays now seem to mean something different to what everyone thought they would be in the past.
nope . . . you didn't get this right . . . consider the hololens. It has a visor. This visor is made of a display screen. Right? And you're saying LG basically discovered a flexible screen. Then simply replace the current screen on the device with a flexible one. That way, the device can also function as a cap . . . and then pulled down to make the visor in which the CGI is displayed to produce augmented reality.

In short, this invention will power anything that uses a screen.

Okay, so, I understand you may mean that the technology is opaque. Fine. Then we can simply devise new methods to achieve transparent versions of this. smiley
Re: LG Display Unveils Incredible New Flexible Televisions*Pics*Video* by khalhokage(m): 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
nope . . . you didn't get this right . . . consider the hololens. It has a visor. This visor is made of a display screen. Right? And you're saying LG basically discovered a flexible screen. Then simply replace the current screen on the device with a flexible one. That way, the device can also function as a cap . . . and then pulled down to make the visor in which the CGI is displayed to produce augmented reality.

In short, this invention will power anything that uses a screen.

Okay, so, I understand you may mean that the technology is opaque. Fine. Then we can simply devise new methods to achieve transparent versions of this. smiley

You're right, I didn't think of it that way.

(1) (Reply)

Scientific Proofs That The Earth Is Actually Stationary (Part 1) / Google 2 Step Verification Not Accepting Nigeria / A Brief History Of Physics(the Four Physical Forces)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.