Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,015 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges (1062 Views)

Senate Orders Arrest Of CEOs Of Glo, Crown Flour Mills 28 Others / DISCOS’ Performance Worse Than NEPA, PHCN – Senate / NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by Freegift75: 8:09pm On Aug 14, 2015
www.punchng.com/opinion/letters/abolition-of-fixed-charges/

The direction by the Senate on Tuesday that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission should abolish the monthly fixed charges is commendable and absolutely a step in the right direction.

Indeed, the practice is unfair to the consumers. These
electricity distribution companies charge all consumers a monthly fixed rate of about N750 irrespective of whether or not service is provided.

There is no rip-off bigger than this one.

https://www.naij.com/515040-senate-urges-nerc-immediately-abolish-fixed-charges-electricity-consumption.html

The Senate on Tuesday, August 11, has asked the National Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to immediately abolish fixed charges on electricity
consumption, bulk marketing of villages and communities.

This was made known after a motion by Sen. Sam Egwu (Ebonyi North) titled; ‘Unfair Trade Practices of Electicity Distribution Companies (DISCOs) in Nigeria’ was raised.

It was co-sponsored by Sen. David Umaru (Niger East). Also, it directed NERC to ask the DISCOs to discontinue the practice of compulsory bulk metering of villages and communities in the rural areas as a consumer should have the right to elect to be part of bulk metering scheme or not.

The senate also directed NERC to a make a regulation to mandate the DISCOs to discontinue the practice of making consumers pay for meters, poles and transformers which by law are property of the DISCOs.
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by Mbkite(m): 8:10pm On Aug 14, 2015
k
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by Quadmaster(m): 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2015
This is a good step in the right direction. No more rip - off from NERC.

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by calmbabadee(m): 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2015
I am surprised someone is saying N750. I dey pay 21,500 as fixed charge in my office building
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by phyllosilicate(m): 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2015
I hope it materialise. As at now the transformer in our Area is bad. All houses are contributing two thousand naira to fixed it. The 750 monthly fixed charge we have been paying, only God knows what it is for.
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by honourhim: 8:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
good move
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by Freegift75: 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2015
phyllosilicate:
I hope it materialise. As at now the transformer in our Area is bad. All houses are contributing two thousand naira to fixed it. The 750 monthly fixed charge we have been paying, only God knows what it is for.

Be rest assured that if you stay six months in blackout and you are using prepaid metre, be expecting N750 x 6 = N4500 as fixed charges for that six months. Is that justifiable?
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by Freegift75: 9:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
Now I know that the MOD here are staff of PHCN. Why delaying this topic from FP...
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by phyllosilicate(m): 9:09pm On Aug 14, 2015
Freegift75:

Be rest assured that if you stay six months in blackout and you are using prepaid metre, be expecting N750 x 6 = N4500 as fixed charges for that six months. Is that justifiable?
That is the truth. Even the transformer, we contributed money to buy it. All the poles and wires, was community effort. Many things happening in this country is unjustifiable.
Re: PHCN: Senate Orders Immediate Abolition Of Fixed Charges by armadeo(m): 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2015
Lol.

i hope this lasts. the only way forward is prepaid meters all round. no light no bills simple.

(1) (Reply)

Kogi Poll: APC Supporters Reject Audu. / Serious Inferno In Aba As A Fuel Tanker Catches Fire. Houses Burnt(pics) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.