Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

The History Of Aborigine Ogboni FRANTERNITY. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The History Of Aborigine Ogboni FRANTERNITY. (5470 Views)

Life History Of Mrs Olufunmilayo Ransome Kuti / Where Can I Get "The History Of The Burn Book" / Where Can I Get "The History Of The Burn" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The History Of Aborigine Ogboni FRANTERNITY. by ferdvict2(m): 5:47am On Aug 15, 2015
The History of Aborigine Ogboni, could be traced to that era of primordial civilization of 'MAN' sometimes around 4500BC in Ife-Oodaye. That period of antiquity and a geological era, very long ever before the arrival of the legendary Oduduwa himself to lle-ife around 4th - 5th centuries A.D(Oduduwa was their acclaimed father of Yorubas). In the beginning, there was ife-Oodaye, as earlier mentioned. The language spoken was 'Ife' and not 'Yoruba' people. Maybe one might wondered and asked, who then are the yorubas? the answer to this, is a different issue and perhaps which some past issues of 'Aborigine' has answered among its previous inferences, that had explained among others, that the calling of all descendants of Oduduwa generally as YORUBA today, was the making of the Colonial British Authority in their desire to have unique identities for the colonised Nigerian people during the early part of the century.
While no one could precisely say what motivate 'ogboni' cult or confraternity, to come into being in Ife-Oodaye, but postulations in Yoruba mythology, shed light on the pre-Oduduwa era in the IIe-Ife, when 'Obatala' and Oreluere were the ruling chieftains of the Aborigine Ife-speaking community. 'Awo' ogboni, among so many other 'Awos'(i.e cults) in Ife then, became so prominent and relevant, more as a pressure group to protest the unceremonious arrival of the great colonial master in history, (i.e.) Oduduwa, just as certian people of today's Nigeria, first resisted the coming of the British imperialism, so also, the aboriginal Ife people and their particularly leader, Obatala; vehemently resisted the unexpected arrival of Oduduwa and his followers into Ile-ife. But when they could not withstand the might and high political network of Oduduwa, these ancient Ife people, resorted to cover activities, by making use of their ogboni group to determine oduduwa's authority. And in most cases, against oduduwa's people themselves, who were not their members. Most of these terrorist acts take place during the life time of Queen MOREMI, an Ofa indigene, married to ORANMIYAN, one of the Ife kings at that time. A paragon of beauty she was. Moremi used this as a leverage to entice their enemy's leader, so as to decode the antics of these marauders, which was, possibly a faction of the 'omo Iya' (later referred to ogboni today), who used Igbomokun, one of the riverine settlement areas, 'Ondo state' of today as their base, from where they regularly launched their offensive attacks against their 'colonial maters' in Ife land. But with the eventual penetration of the setters(i.e oduduwa and his people), into these aboriginals 'secret cult', who perhaps were using this secret society as a weapon of resistance, this Egbe Omo Iya, or Ogboni, as popularly know, eventually became a cult synonymous with oduduwa, hence. 'N'mesi awo Oodua, later became a popular clinched for the ogboni people. But what Awo Ogboni was, in Ile-Ife in the beginning, was not what it later looked like, in other parts of yoruba land, as at the time it started to spread. For examples, in place like Egba, Ijebu, Remo etc., Ogboni was more or less the SENATE and dispensers of justice in the communities. The power of the ogboni otherwise called OSUGBO, among the Ijebu people, was so enormous and very deadly. Among so many
The Aborigine Ogboni Fraternity is the Traditional Religion of the Yoruba's and indeed African Traditional Religion Worldwide. The importance of every good thing in life is faith and believes. The truth is, if you find a faith with no obstacles, it is most likely to be a faith that doesn't lead to anywise important.

Source: baogboniagbaye.org/History%20Of%20Ogboni.html
Re: The History Of Aborigine Ogboni FRANTERNITY. by greatness22(m): 6:56am On Aug 15, 2015
Whether ife or ifa, all i know is that the Yorubas are nice people... (Am a proud Deltan) **listening to king sunny ade music** cool
Re: The History Of Aborigine Ogboni FRANTERNITY. by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
OA! OA!! OA!!!

(1) (Reply)

Short Stories By Talius Dike / Love In A Bar 18+++ / I Need E-books Written By Johanna Lindsey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.