Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,566 members, 7,827,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Saying Yes (when We Want To Say No) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saying Yes (when We Want To Say No) (311 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo: It Is An Insult To Say I Am Worth $150 Million, I'm Worth More / Bishopric crisis: Mbaise Catholics say no to the Pope / We Want Fridays Declared Work-free For Muslims Like Sundays – MURIC Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Saying Yes (when We Want To Say No) by yommyuk: 9:38am On Aug 16, 2015
In a fish’s belly, Jonah recommitted himself to the Lord’s purpose. But the popular Bible story about the consequences of disobedience doesn’t end with Jonah obeying God. The book actually concludes with him acknowledging why he didn’t want the job—and with the Lord chastising him for his selfish reasons. Jonah was afraid that the Ninevites, who were a threat to the Jewish people, might actually repent, and then his merciful God wouldn’t destroy them. The reluctant prophet admitted he wanted to see them wiped out: “Therefore in order to forestall [their salvation] I fled to Tarshish” (Jonah 4:2). When the Lord relented, Jonah’s trip became a success for everyone but him.

Believers resist doing God’s will for many reasons. Sometimes, although we don’t like to confess this, we say no because we dislike the probable outcome of obedience. As Jonah did, we also can lose sight of spiritually important things and focus on our own desires and comfort.

Our unhappiness with what we think might happen is not a reason to resist God’s plan. If the Lord calls us to act, He will take care of the end results. Our job is to obey.

What form of selfishness is keeping you from obeying the Lord? Maybe you are too angry with your spouse to work on your marriage or too hurt to welcome back a repentant child. But we’re not to be ruled by feelings, no matter how strong they are. Your heavenly Father expects obedience. The final results may surprise you, particularly how blessed you will be for having followed Him.

1 Peter 1:14
“As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance,”

1 John 5:3
“For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.”

Psalm 119:30
“I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me.

IT IS WELL. GOD BLESS wink
Re: Saying Yes (when We Want To Say No) by IamOpemipo(m): 9:45am On Aug 16, 2015
grin

(1) (Reply)

Spiritual Digest For The Day 17th Of August 2015 / God's Initiatives / Self Discovery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.