Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,929 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:55 PM

Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV (4273 Views)

Biafra: Listen To Nnamdi Kanu's Phone Call With Channels Tv / Abdulmumin Jubrin Revealed More, Read His Interview With Channels Tv / Nigeria Is Now A More Divided Country – Bishop Kukah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Splashme: 8:21am On Aug 17, 2015
In an interview with Channels Television monitored by ENIOLA AKINKUOTU, National Peace Committee member and Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Bishop Matthew Kukah, speaks about President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-corruption war and other issues

1) There were talks that some members of your committee had been approached to mediate in anti-corruption matters. Although you have debunked that, your committee has said that the Federal Government’s excessive talk on probe is distracting. Is this true?

Brutally, what you are asking is what I have heard people say and that is that former President Goodluck Jonathan has approached us to beg the President. First of all, I am a priest and anybody is free to beg me to beg someone or to beg God. But more importantly, there is no way that I or any member of the committee can be told to go and beg President Muhammadu Buhari for a favour in anything relating to corruption. His body language does not suggest that and only a fool would undertake that kind of mission. I think I can speak for the members of the committee. Before we went to see the President at 9am on that same day, we spent about an hour with former President Jonathan. And please let us not lose sight of what has happened in this country. Jonathan said it and I am sure Nigerians have heard it that when we met with the Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party, they also made it very clear that not all of them were in support of the singular decision that Jonathan took and I think that as Nigerians, we must become sufficiently serious and realise that that singular act is what has kept us as a nation. With all the billions and trillions in the world coming from the outer space, we would need to have a nation first. So, I think that even for that singular act alone, Nigerians must be appreciative of what President Jonathan did.

As for how this country will move forward, President Jonathan was eloquently clear in saying that he was not afraid of probe but we are saying that if you are going to a forest to catch a monkey, you don’t go blowing a whistle or beating a drum. And I don’t think that we should be preoccupied with how this probe is going to be undertaken. There are no charges against President Jonathan or anybody for that matter. And please let me make it very clear, anybody is free to approach the committee with any ideas, including former President Jonathan or President Buhari.

2) But from your interview with State House correspondents, it seems your committee is not satisfied with the manner this administration is going about with its fight against corruption. Is that right?

Please, let us not forget that the vice-president of this country is one of the best lawyers I know. He is also a professor of law. I don’t think people like him can preside over illegalities. What everybody should focus on is that it might be Jonathan today, and we don’t have a case against Jonathan on the table. Even if we do, this public lynching is not going to help anybody. Nobody knows whether when Buhari steps aside, he might face the same thing. What we are talking about is that we are not in a military regime, we are in a democracy and somebody has said there are no probes in a democracy but only investigations. We are not going to grow in this nation until we have finished probes. Let us not forget, Abacha has been dead for almost 20 years and we were promised his monies but some of the monies have not been recovered, so let us not kid ourselves. Even if you are going to go into a probe, it is not a substitute for governance and we are interested in the fact that every sane Nigerian must be conscious of the fact that it might be another person today and might be you tomorrow. And I think that we should not become so preoccupied with Jonathan to the extent that we forget the spectacular benefit that we gained under his presidency. Politics has ended and now is the time for governance.

3) How come all that was reported from your visit to Jonathan was that the treasury looters will soon be brought to trial?

That is simply because the media has its own prejudices just like the rest of us in Nigeria. There are people in the media who believe that Jonathan and the PDP and other bad people should be hounded out of this country or whatever and I have no problem with that. All I am saying is that if you have a problem, there are processes for dealing with that. The committee cannot inherit the prejudices of other people. For some inexplicable reasons, some sections of the media have made insinuations that impugn on the integrity of the members of the committee and as I said, I called every member of that committee to serve on that committee and I know how and why I called every member. I can vouch for their personal integrity and I know that they can speak for themselves. But I think it is not fair that the media should create the impression that somehow we should be out on this public lynching of people when we have no evidence against anybody.

4) Are you saying that if things (probes) continue the way they are, we might lose what we might have gained with the transition from one government to the other?

Absolutely. I don’t want to say this but frankly I am quite irritated by the way we are frittering away the opportunities that God has given to us. When you stand on quicksand for too long, it becomes impossible to get out. There are not many people in the world that want Nigeria to succeed. We’ve never had this show of goodwill before and I believe the rest of the international community and others must be laughing at Nigeria on how we are conducting ourselves in this way and manner and how we remain our own worst enemies. For goodness sake, governance does not foreclose people going to prison and so on, and I don’t believe that even if you recover all the monies that have been stolen from us, it will not go the same way. I think the challenge for me and for those in power is that the APC has to prove itself. Secondly, let us be faithful with little things so that we will know what will happen to us when greater things are entrusted into our hands.

5) But what has brought this concern to the fore for the committee?

I don’t know; you tell me. Because the journalists that started this scare mongering about the committee being approached by President Jonathan is as if we are saying that the government should not probe. Please, I am well over 60 and I think my records speak for me. I cannot be associated, by any stretch of the imagination, with anything dubious or hypocritical. I cannot see how any member of our committee can be associated with such an attempt. What will be my gain for example, for saying I don’t want XYZ to be probed? I am simply saying that it can be me tomorrow and it might be you tomorrow but for goodness sake, had President Jonathan not done what he did, let us look across the road and look across Africa and let us see the tragic situation that we are in in Africa. See what is happening in Burundi, see what happened in Cote d’Ivoire, see what happened in Rwanda. When the crisis of transitions meant that people put their personal interest before any other interest and I think that history will not forget what President Jonathan did and it is not in our interest to pretend that even if he stole all the money in the world, and even if the world is bringing everything into Nigeria, I am not sure where President Buhari will be, I am not sure if I would be sitting here, I don’t know where the vice-president or any of us would be today. I am saying let us keep our eyes on the ball.

6) It seems what you are trying to impress on the President is that governance must start. Do you believe that you haven’t seen anything in the direction of governance?

I think we didn’t all expect that we would have to wait till September to have ministers and I think that unless we want to be hypocritical, many of us have openly said that if this was the fourth time that President Buhari wanted to be President, and successfully became President, the truth of the matter is that you would have identified many Nigerians across the board who are fit to do the job but again it is his prerogative to decide how to govern. But I am saying that given what we heard the APC said, given the claims that the APC made, the level of their preparedness, the level of their decision to change, well, we need that change clearly spelt out.

That change cannot definitely just be a change of actors. It ought to be a change that we can visible see, a government that is fully prepared. The elections were concluded and there was a period of time in-between. Finally, all I am saying is that we need a bit of action, otherwise, Nigerians will expend their energies on the wrong things. We still have a lot of battles to fight and I think we will really need to focus on a lot of the problems that this country faces and to figure out by way of conversation and policy direction, where are we heading? Boko Haram may stop tomorrow but I can tell you that will just be the beginning of the most complex and complicated problem of trying to fix this country. How all these problems are going to be solved require a lot of thinking.

http://www.punchng.com/politics/no-case-of-corruption-against-jonathan-kukah/

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by izeeqpotter(m): 8:22am On Aug 17, 2015
YOU SIR HAVE DABBLED THYSELF WITH THE THINGS OF THE WORLD. THESE ARE PRICES.
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by izeeqpotter(m): 8:23am On Aug 17, 2015
The guy above is the FTC.
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Fianze93(m): 8:23am On Aug 17, 2015
K
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by natas22: 8:24am On Aug 17, 2015
grin long grammer no time, the summary of everything is I sense the presence of God in that man so my sai buhari should not joke with the man and take his word seriously.

2 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by donholy28(m): 8:27am On Aug 17, 2015
I swear that thing long pass encyclopedia
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Bern1992(m): 8:27am On Aug 17, 2015
who cares
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by seunmsg(m): 8:32am On Aug 17, 2015
I am simply saying that it can be me tomorrow and it might be you tomorrow but for goodness sake, had President Jonathan not done what he did, let us look across the road and look across Africa and let us see the tragic situation that we are in in Africa. See what is happening in Burundi, see what happened in Cote d’Ivoire, see what happened in Rwanda. When the crisis of transitions meant that people put their personal interest before any other interest and I think that history will not forget what President Jonathan did and it is not in our interest to pretend that even if he stole all the money in the world, and even if the world is bringing everything into Nigeria, I am not sure where President Buhari will be, I am not sure if I would be sitting here, I don’t know where the vice-president or any of us would be today. I am saying let us keep our eyes on the ball.

Father Kukah disappointed so many people with the above statement. What is he trying to insinuate? We should leave GEJ alone because he handed over after losing the election even if he stole all the money in the world. The peace committee should be disbanded immediately if this is the kind of advise they are offering the president. Nigerians voted for PMB because of his promise to fight corruption and all these so called elders should quit trying to blackmail the president into ending the fight against corruption simply because GEJ conceded an election he lost clearly.

4 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Paschal001: 8:35am On Aug 17, 2015
I greet you, my lord bishop

1 Like

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Splashme: 8:44am On Aug 17, 2015
seunmsg:
I am simply saying that it can be me tomorrow and it might be you tomorrow but for goodness sake, had President Jonathan not done what he did, let us look across the road and look across Africa and let us see the tragic situation that we are in in Africa. See what is happening in Burundi, see what happened in Cote d’Ivoire, see what happened in Rwanda. When the crisis of transitions meant that people put their personal interest before any other interest and I think that history will not forget what President Jonathan did and it is not in our interest to pretend that even if he stole all the money in the world, and even if the world is bringing everything into Nigeria, I am not sure where President Buhari will be, I am not sure if I would be sitting here, I don’t know where the vice-president or any of us would be today. I am saying let us keep our eyes on the ball.

[s]Father Kukah disappointed so many people with the above statement. What is he trying to insinuate? We should leave GEJ alone because he handed over after losing the election even if he stole all the money in the world. The peace committee should be disbanded immediately if this is the kind of advise they are offering the president. Nigerians voted for PMB because of his promise to fight corruption and all these so called elders should quit trying to blackmail the president into ending the fight against corruption simply because GEJ conceded an election he lost clearly.[/s]

A child like you may not understand that noble advise

7 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by ruffp: 8:53am On Aug 17, 2015
Splashme:

A child like you may not understand that noble advise

another TANoid...

1 Like

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by PassingShot(m): 8:54am On Aug 17, 2015
For goodness sake, governance does not foreclose people going to prison and so on, and I don’t believe that even if you recover all the monies that have been stolen from us, it will not go the same way.
This man must have definitely been compromised to spew this trash.

I cannot be associated, by any stretch of the imagination, with anything dubious or hypocritical. I cannot see how any member of our committee can be associated with such an attempt. What will be my gain for example, for saying I don’t want XYZ to be probed? I am simply saying that it can be me tomorrow and it might be you tomorrow but for goodness sake, had President Jonathan not done what he did, let us look across the road and look across Africa and let us see the tragic situation that we are in in Africa.
Are you talking of the same committee that includes AbdulSalami that looted the treasury in ten months? Same committee that includes the bling bling pastor who is known to be corrupt in soul and deeds?

That Jona conceded defeat was the normal thing to do. He is not the first even in Africa to do it and he won't be the last. Agreed that there might have been problems if he had not conceded defeat but such trouble could have consumed him too. Jona didn't do us a favour and please stop the blackmailing already.

This shameless man says it might be him or any other person tomorrow means what? What has the personality of the person found involved in corruption got to do with dealing with him/her fairly according to the law?

This man is one of the enemies of Nigeria. Anyone who speaks like this is definitely an enemy of the state.

People like him prefer that PMB forgets what GEJ's men stole, move on and loot as much as he and his men can also loot from our treasury. It is this same practice in the past that has brought us where we are today.

So so disappointed in this man. 50% of his integrity just gone down the drain!

4 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 17, 2015
I have listened to the video recording and not once did the guy say anyone whatsorever should not be probed,I wonder what the APC idiots are masturbating about?

He simply told you "stop crucifying people on the pages of newspapers and allow the EFCC and co do their jobs while governance continues.He also stressed the significance of GEJ's peaceful transition to Buhari.What exactly is wrong with that?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by hinwazaka: 9:23am On Aug 17, 2015
seunmsg:

Father Kukah disappointed so many people with the above statement. What is he trying to insinuate? We should leave GEJ alone because he handed over after losing the election even if he stole all the money in the world. The peace committee should be disbanded immediately if this is the kind of advise they are offering the president. Nigerians voted for PMB because of his promise to fight corruption and all these so called elders should quit trying to blackmail the president into ending the fight against corruption simply because GEJ conceded an election he lost clearly.
You probably can't comprehend written statements. Where in the highlighted text did Father Kukah indicate that he wanted the government to grant immunity to the ex-president. He simply stated that we should APPRECIATE the fair sportsmanship the ex-president displayed in the past election and take into cognizance the actions of other African leaders who found themselves in the same position: Gbagbo, Nkirinzuza, Mugabe. Please learn to read, comprehend and comment accurately.

9 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by hinwazaka: 9:34am On Aug 17, 2015
PassingShot:

Are you talking of the same committee that includes AbdulSalami that looted the treasury in ten months? Same committee that includes the bling bling pastor who is known to be corrupt in soul and deeds?

That Jona conceded defeat was the normal thing to do. He is not the first even in Africa to do it and he won't be the last. Agreed that there might have been problems if he had not conceded defeat but such trouble could have consumed him too. Jona didn't do us a favour and please stop the blackmailing already.

This shameless man says it might be him or any other person tomorrow means what? What has the personality of the person found involved in corruption got to do with dealing with him/her fairly according to the law?

This man is one of the enemies of Nigeria. Anyone who speaks like this is definitely an enemy of the state.

People like him prefer that PMB forgets what GEJ's men stole, move on and loot as much as he and his men can also loot from our treasury. It is this same practice in the past that has brought us where we are today.

Where is your evidence that Abubakar fleeced the nation in his short stint in power
How does a notable and respectable man's opinion grant him the position as enemy of state
In the trial of individuals, their character and public representation plays a huge part in the way the investigation of allegations against them are carried out
It's high time you stop this bandwagon criticism of characters listed by your messiah as ENEMIES OF THE PARTY

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by hinwazaka: 9:37am On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:
I have listened to the video recording and not once did the guy say anyone whatsorever should not be probed,I wonder what the APC idiots are masturbating about?

He simply told you "stop crucifying people on the pages of newspapers and allow the EFCC and co do their jobs while governance continues.He also stressed the significance of GEJ's peaceful transition to Buhari.What exactly is wrong with that?
Precisely. It seems the supporters of the APC have a problem with comprehension

1 Like

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 17, 2015
The mods should move this to front page

1 Like

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Olaolufred(m): 9:42am On Aug 17, 2015
Good morning Engine-near Chu-kwu-di.

Welcome back to change.
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 17, 2015
Olaolufred:
Good morning Engine-near Chu-kwu-di.

Welcome back to change.
Olodo all I have seen so far in almost 100 days are just propaganda!!! Change indeed

1 Like

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by UmuEri(m): 9:43am On Aug 17, 2015
PassingShot:

the Bolden gave me concern. What about the Terrorist sultan? You refused to mention him?

3 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 17, 2015
UmuEri:

th Bolden gave me concern. What about the Terrorist sultan? You refused to mention him?
Don't mind the hypocrite.

3 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Olaolufred(m): 9:51am On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:

Olodo all I have seen so far in almost 100 days are just propaganda!!! Change indeed

Omowe, No 1 Change is Change Jonah. Or are you still not able to comprehend that reality?

No 2, is Probe his government which is new to you and many in your congregation.

Since it had never happened that a previous government is probed at the centre, it makes it a national shock to you folks.

However, don't worry, Buhari himself is open to a probe of his Government in future.

CHANGE WE ARE TRYING TO BRING IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY OF EVERY REGIME.

Your wife don't just spend money without letting you know how?

Ndo. Chukwu gozie gi.
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Iykopee(m): 10:05am On Aug 17, 2015
I personally wont advise anybody to probe a man who's near his grave after his short stay on power to avoid having his blood on ur hands.
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Iykopee(m): 10:11am On Aug 17, 2015
PassingShot:

^^^^ 'SHAMELESS MAN', ' BLING BLING PASTOR'. How about ur TERRORIST SULTAN? u must be an idiotic muslim.

3 Likes

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 17, 2015
PassingShot:

With this level of reasoning, maybe Zimbabwe should honor Mugabe and make him statesman if he loses an election and hands over peacefully. Africans are a living contradiction; we despise our current state with our mouth, and reject ideals that would help us move forward and build a better future. A great nation can not be built on fraud. Crime must be punished no matter how highly placed you are. We must hold public officers to a higher standard of responsibility and accountability. Building two or three roads and bridges doesnt grant any public officer the right to steal public funds.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Olaolufred(m): 10:15am On Aug 17, 2015
Iykopee:
I personally wont advise anybody to probe a man who's near his grave after his short stay on power to avoid having his blood on ur hands.

OH, YOU MEAN AN AGED PERSON SHOULD NOT BE ACCOUNTABLE?

I SEE, IT IS HARD TO DO AWAY WITH THE OLD ORDER.

OK.
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by chernest2002: 11:09am On Aug 17, 2015
seunmsg:

bros you dont understand, we need a country first forget properganda from some nigerians,ibb took us to brink of war, abacha did same, gej cooled our land and give peace les not heat the polity with wich hunt, we can still get better if buhari government will be coruption free.i say peace or we nothing will move better.

1 Like

Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 17, 2015
chernest2002:
bros you dont understand, we need a country first forget properganda from some nigerians,ibb took us to brink of war, abacha did same, gej cooled our land and give peace les not heat the polity with wich hunt, we can still get better if buhari government will be coruption free.i say peace or we nothing will move better.
No allow them to continue to rant online. When the gbege will start, we will all be here to suffer it
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Happiness87(f): 11:53am On Aug 17, 2015
seunmsg:

liar Mohammed's grand son, una sabi twist gist.

show us where he said, gej should not be probe.

his stance is clear
probe should not substitute governance, Buhari should kickstart governance.

probes doesn't have end, it is a continuous process, from time to time, there will be need to probe processes, but the masses are yearning for dividends of democracy
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by Happiness87(f): 12:14pm On Aug 17, 2015
PassingShot:

don't allow Sahara desert adeola hype full your head, where did he say, probes show stop, you APC Ddudes love twisting stories.

his emphasis is clear
probe is not substitute for governance, after 100days in office, machineries of government should be in place, businesses are crumpling, investors don't know the next policy of government, Nigerians are yearning for dividends of democracy like they promised, that they would hit the ground running.

our democracy is still young and we should take advantage of the peaceful transition and build on it.

no need making noise about probes, investigations can be ongoing while government is doing what she was voted to do.

when a case is established, you invite the person for probe, simple

don't allow your affiliation to political parties cloud your sense of reasoning.

after probing some one, do you know he has the right to appeal, how long do you think it will take to finish the entire process of investigation, auditing, probing, appeals and prosecution.

Should Nigeria shut down, and wait till probes are done before, we know whether all, APC promised is possible to achieve
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by major466(m): 12:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:

The man made great points. Its quite infortunate that anyone with contrary opinion regarding national issues is painted with corruption by the apc led government. If care is not taking, Nigeria will slide back into dictatorship.
Re: Full Text of Bishop Kukah's Interview With Channels TV by PassingShot(m): 12:43pm On Aug 17, 2015
Happiness87:
don't allow Sahara desert adeola hype full your head, where did he say, probes show stop, you APC Ddudes love twisting stories.
You're too young to engage in insulting those older to be your uncle. Watch it!

his emphasis is clear
probe is not substitute for governance, after 100days in office, machineries of government should be in place, businesses are crumpling, investors don't know the next policy of government, Nigerians are yearning for dividends of democracy like they promised, that they would hit the ground running.
Do you have someone whose business is "crumpling"? Which investors have complained to you? Or you rely on propaganda to arrive at that conclusion? I guess dividends of democracy is not improved electricity supply, reduction in wastages, fighting corruption, etc. IS fighting corruption not part of governance? Or you thing any aspect of governance is suspended while the fight against corruption is ongoing?

our democracy is still young and we should take advantage of the peaceful transition and build on it.

no need making noise about probes, investigations can be ongoing while government is doing what she was voted to do.

when a case is established, you invite the person for probe, simple
So, the fact that our democracy is "young" at sixteen means we should allow people who have stolen your future and that of your children go scot-free?
Kindly point out what the FG has done that is not constitutional yet about the fight on corruption? Apart from the govt building cases against the corrupt people, I don't know of anyone being arrested or prevented from traveling out. Only the guilty employ foot soldiers to make noise on their behalf.

don't allow your affiliation to political parties cloud your sense of reasoning.

after probing some one, do you know he has the right to appeal, how long do you think it will take to finish the entire process of investigation, auditing, probing, appeals and prosecution.
So? How does this process stop governance?

Should Nigeria shut down, and wait till probes are done before, we know whether all, APC promised is possible to achieve
You're just too naïve for me to engage. You're innocently not matured enough on how things work or should work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pics: OBJ Deserves 2 Years Jail Term For This Insults On Fayose! / How We Intend To Stop Inconclusive Elections — INEC / President Buhari Writes Nigerians From London.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.