Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn (14283 Views)

Apostle Suleman To Dismiss Members Who Don't Believe In Him, Calls Them Demons / Apostle Johnson Suleman's Sex Scandal: "I Believe You Daddy!"- Lady Supports Him / God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 2:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
I believe in a God who creates the world we are in but I don't believe in the bible does it make me less a christian?

I had an argument with a friend of mine, he keep calling me an athiest because I said the bible is inaccurate and I can't leave my life based on a book with so many errors and contradictions.

I don't believe in all this supernatural stuffs either, like witches and wizards,demons etc or some silly doctorines we have in the bible like women being submissive and a divorcee not allowed to get married etc

I just believe in one thing: love!

So am I less a christian for not beliving the bible and all the other things I mentioned? If am not a christian what am I?

Cc:captainjune,winner01,malvinsguy212,
Johnydon22,hahn,davien, etc

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by boboLIL(m): 2:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
Yes and also a confused element
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
No,it doesn't..religion is a mirage.. Be pure and God would honor you even above some religious hypocrites..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 2:34pm On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:
Yes and also a confused element

So am now a confused person? Why? And Pls how can you explain why I m less a christian?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by boboLIL(m): 2:37pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:

So am now a confused person? Why? And Pls how can you explain why I m less a christian?
u cannot be a christian and say u don't believe in Bible..... Bible is the word of God and the word of God is life......so u can't tell me u love ur parents buh u don't believe in their advice.....

4 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 2:38pm On Aug 17, 2015
AlphaMoi:
No,it doesn't..religion is a mirage.. Be pure and God qould honor you even above some religious hypocrites..

Thank you, you know religion is a believe in some sort of power like a God. So are you saying that my belief in God is some sort of a mirage?
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 2:44pm On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:
u cannot be a christian and say u don't believe in Bible..... Bible is the word of God and the word of God is life......so u can't tell me u love ur parents buh u don't believe in their advice.....

The analogy of loving my parents and not believing in their advise is quite silly sorry to say. Yes I love my folks but I don't believe everything they tell me. For christs sake am human and not a robot that would take everything they tell me hook line and sinker.

How are you sure that the bible is the true word of God? If the bible is the true word of God then why the inaccuracies and errors? Isnt God perfect like we believe?

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by boboLIL(m): 2:49pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:

The analogy of loving my parents and not believing in their advise is quite silly sorry to say. Yes I love my folks but I don't believe everything they tell me. For christs sake am human and not a robot that would take everything they tell me hook line and sinker.

How are you sure that the bible is the true word of God? If the bible is the true word of God then why the inaccuracies and errors? Isnt God perfect like we believe?
oboy go to hell.....and ur devil ur father there
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Thank you, you know religion is a believe in some sort of power like a God. So are you saying that my belief in God is some sort of a mirage?
no,am saying u can believe in God and do right and nt believe totally on a book to live your life..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 3:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:

I asked a question and you tell me to go to hell? Is that the best you can come up with? Which planet did you come out from? Can't you talk without the use of vulgar words?
#Sigh

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by menesheh(m): 3:01pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:
I believe in a God who creates the world we are in but I don't believe in the bible does it make me less a christian?

I had an argument with a friend of mine, he keep calling me an athiest because I said the bible is inaccurate and I can't leave my life based on a book with so many errors and contradictions.

I don't believe in all this supernatural stuffs either, like witches and wizards,demons etc or some silly doctorines we have in the bible like women being submissive and a divorcee not allowed to get married etc

So am I less a christian for not beliving the bible and all the other things I mentioned? If am not a christian what am I?

Johndony12,hahn,davien, etc

What do you feel it made you?

Atheist
Deist
Agnostic
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by menesheh(m): 3:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:

Why using abusive statements?

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by menesheh(m): 3:06pm On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:

Why are u not a muslem or a Buddhist.
Or do you feel those under that umbrella are idiots?

Do you believe in Quran?

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 3:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
menesheh:

What do you feel it made you?

Atheist
Deist
Agnostic

Really I don't know. Kinda lost, but I don't think I can qualify for that atheist position. If you get what I mean, but why do you ask?
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by hahn(m): 3:19pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Johnnydon22,hahn,davien,plaetton, frank317,meneseh,atheist101 etc

So, I don resemble psychiatrist abi? tongue

Well, you're not a christian at least mentally because you have to believe blindly which you apparently have a problem with.

Reminds me of myself back in the day. Even though I was raised by an atheist I chose to believe due to societal pressures, my mom becoming born again(she eventually got fed up with church), some hardship I faced and other factors and even though I never believed in all the superstition and even got labelled as an atheist, just like you, I really wanted to believe in something.

However, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing worth believing in is myself.

The concept of a supreme being doesn't really add up, especially from religious point of views. Since you believe in love I can only say you're on the path to understanding beyond the dogma that's being peddled in our society and from where I stand it's better to "love" than anything else. Religion will only hinder you from loving universally because it is always about us against them.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by menesheh(m): 3:23pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Really I don't know. Kinda lost, but I don't think I can qualify for that atheist position. If you get what I mean, but why do you ask?

ATHEIST : A person who believes that no deities exist (especially).
(broadly) A person who rejects belief that any deities exist (whether or not that person believes that deities do not exist).

AGNOSTIC :A person who holds to a form of agnosticism, especially uncertainty of the existence of a deity.

DEISM : A philosophical belief in the existence of a god (or goddess) knowable through human reason; especially, a belief in a creator god unaccompanied by any belief in supernatural phenomena or specific religious doctrines.

We have two concept here, either a god/gods exist or not. Agnosticism and deism don't fall between the two therefore it makes no sense.
If you feel you are deistic, if you ever propose a superhuman intelligence somewhere and you start recognizing, adhering or worshipping such, it automatically makes you a theist.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by kevoh(m): 3:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:

Christian, Muslim, Deist, Atheists, ATR practicitioners bla bla, Do not be bothered with these name tags and unnecessary classifications. You can be whoever you want to be as long as you don't go killing other people or disturbing the peace of the World because of your personal beliefs.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by CaptainJune: 3:31pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fearlesschicken, many people believe in God but that doesn't make them Christians. The Bible says even the demons believe God exists and they tremble.

Who is a Christian? A Christian is a follower or disciple of Christ. To be a follower of Christ, it means you have surrendered your life to Jesus Christ, and that you believe in His death and resurrection as recorded in the Bible.

The questions now are: have you given your life to Christ, and do you believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ?

A Christian is different from a passive believer of the existence of God. Your calling yourself a Christian depends on the answers to the questions above.

6 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by CaptainJune: 3:39pm On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:

I really don't understand this response. Will you be satisfied and happy to see him in hell? Is that how you show love to people? This is not Christlike, my brother.

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by johnydon22(m): 4:01pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearlesschicken:

[b]
I won't say i am expert in matters like this but i will still do the best i can to make things clear.

One do not necessarily need to believe everything in the bible to be a christian, there are many Christians who are very Choosy of what they want to believe..
And that position makes them place their beliefs under the judgement of their reason and they totally find the ideas very implausible and outrightly absurd but can still hold on to their Christian Faith that is when you see someone say "I believe there is a God and i believe in Jesus Christ" and thats just about it they aren't sure about it and so can fit in into the position known as "Agnostic Christian"

I understand your situation because once in a while one must go through that phase if you let reason and consistent logic play a part in your life and we sure do know that most of the religious beliefs we have defiles reason and logic.

So you are in a cross road " A huge conflict of the mind where your REASON is in conflict with your BELIEF and REALITY in conflict with your FAITH"

It is not a position to be feared but rather accepted, a chance to open up to more learning, a chance to give your reason the important job of running your life.

When reason sets in we all tend to disagree with many things we were taught as kids because they clearly become very implausible to us

(Thats why they were fed to us as kids in the first place because if your parents waited for you to get to this age before telling you a man and a donkey had a conversation you wouldn't have believed it)

So it comes from the fact that you even in a least way embraced Reason and it came into conflict with things you were taught to believe.. Like the guy who proudly asserted the BIBLE is the word of God, one cannot help but think "How the mythological historical antiquity of a set of people is the word of a God, is that God a story teller?

Buddha once said: Believe nothing, no matter where you read it even if i said it, unless it agrees with your own reason...

So it is a charge to embrace your reason and let the questions play out rather than fear them.

Because a subtle mind in error can yet give rise to useful enquiry that can determine truth of great value..

By the way bro my username is Johnydon22..you got it all wrong on your Op wink
[/b]

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 17, 2015
boboLIL:
see u preaching and u just asked sm1 to go to hell..nigga,u be dirty..

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 17, 2015
op you do not need to be a christian to believe in God. Christianity is only 2000 years old. Monotheism-the belief in a supreme being, is over 50,000 years old on this earth. So why should you feel any debt to christianity? Your own ancestors believed in a supreme being long before christianity was invented. So you're not answerable to christians or their bible in any way, shape or form. You must free yourself from their threats and deception which they use to keep you tied to them.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by elantraceey(f): 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2015
How can you believe in someone and not believe in his words?
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by David0(m): 5:38pm On Aug 17, 2015
Well sorry dear, dats not possible. It can b possible wt ur parents but not wt God.
The Bible is God's instructions to us, to teach us on how to reconcile with Him or maintain a good relationship with Him.
How can u luv someone from a distance even when u have d means to b with the person, u chose to remain faraway. That's not luv, dats called infatuation or deception.
In the beginning was the word, n the word was with God n the word was God.
U throw the word away, u throw God away.
If u truly luv God like u claim, u must luv whatever comes from Him.
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jesus didn't write a word in the Bible. Go ahead Son.

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by lepasharon(f): 7:19pm On Aug 17, 2015
elantraceey:

Which words the bible or Quran? undecided
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by lepasharon(f): 7:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
Op which which god do you believe in? Since there are quite a few gods that religions have come up with through history ?

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by johnydon22(m): 8:16pm On Aug 17, 2015
lepasharon:
Op which which god do you believe in? Since there are quite a few gods that religions have come up with through history ?
Lol... he mentioned BIBLE and Christianity. . .i think the God he is talking about is evidently clear

1 Like

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 8:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
hahn:

So, I don resemble psychiatrist abi? tongue

Well, you're not a christian at least mentally because you have to believe blindly which you apparently have a problem with.

Reminds me of myself back in the day. Even though I was raised by an atheist I chose to believe due to societal pressures, my mom becoming born again(she eventually got fed up with church), some hardship I faced and other factors and even though I never believed in all the superstition and even got labelled as an atheist, just like you, I really wanted to believe in something.

However, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing worth believing in is myself.

The concept of a supreme being doesn't really add up, especially from religious point of views. Since you believe in love I can only say you're on the path to understanding beyond the dogma that's being peddled in our society and from where I stand it's better to "love" than anything else. Religion will only hinder you from loving universally because it is always about us against them.

lol,you had to add your other folks come join.... grin tongue

wow raised by an atheist? mmmm....i can relate to this totally to wanting to believe desperately in something, going through somethings in my life right now believing in myself doesn't seem to be working.

true talk! it doesnt add up and it is quite difficult trying to shift away from what you have always known to be true.Thanks i really appreciate smiley

menesheh:

ATHEIST : A person who believes that no deities exist (especially).
(broadly) A person who rejects belief that any deities exist (whether or not that person believes that deities do not exist).
AGNOSTIC :A person who holds to a form of agnosticism, especially uncertainty of the existence of a deity.
DEISM : A philosophical belief in the existence of a god (or goddess) knowable through human reason; especially, a belief in a creator god unaccompanied by any belief in supernatural phenomena or specific religious doctrines.
We have two concept here, either a god/gods exist or not. Agnosticism and deism don't fall between the two therefore it makes no sense.
If you feel you are deistic, if you ever propose a superhuman intelligence somewhere and you start recognizing, adhering or worshipping such, it automatically makes you a theist.

mmm...quite confuse here, what is the difference between a deist and a theist then?

kevoh:

Christian, Muslim, Deist, Atheists, ATR practicitioners bla bla, Do not be bothered with these name tags and unnecessary classifications. You can be whoever you want to be as long as you don't go killing other people or disturbing the peace of the World because of your personal beliefs.

lol! funny, but well put...thanks smiley

CaptainJune:
Fearlesschicken, many people believe in God but that doesn't make them Christians. The Bible says even the demons believe God exist and they tremble.
Who is a Christian? A Christian is a follower or disciple of Christ. To be a follower of Christ, it means you have surrendered your life to Jesus Christ, and that you believe in His death and resurrection as recorded in the Bible.
The questions now are: have you given your life to Christ, and do you believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ?
A Christian is different from a passive believer of the existence of God. Your calling yourself a Christian depends on the answers to the questions above.

yes i have given my life to Christ, like i said i don't believe in the bible anymore like i used to. i find that part of the bible questionable.

so what is your view now?

btw avoid that troll abeg and am female not male.
Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 9:15pm On Aug 17, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]
I won't say i am expert in matters like this but i will still do the best i can to make things clear.
One do not necessarily need to believe everything in the bible to be a christian, there are many Christians who are very Choosy of what they want to believe..
And that position makes them place their beliefs under the judgement of their reason and they totally find the ideas very implausible and outrightly absurd but can still hold on to their Christian Faith that is when you see someone say "I believe there is a God and i believe in Jesus Christ" and thats just about it they aren't sure about it and so can fit in into the position known as "Agnostic Christian"
I understand your situation because once in a while one must go through that phase if you let reason and consistent logic play a part in your life and we sure do know that most of the religious beliefs we have defiles reason and logic.
So you are in a cross road " A huge conflict of the mind where your REASON is in conflict with your BELIEF and REALITY in conflict with your FAITH"
It is not a position to be feared but rather accepted, a chance to open up to more learning, a chance to give your reason the important job of running your life.
When reason sets in we all tend to disagree with many things we were taught as kids because they clearly become very implausible to us
(Thats why they were fed to us as kids in the first place because if your parents waited for you to get to this age before telling you a man and a donkey had a conversation you wouldn't have believed it)
So it comes from the fact that you even in a least way embraced Reason and it came into conflict with things you were taught to believe.. Like the guy who proudly asserted the BIBLE is the word of God, one cannot help but think "How the mythological historical antiquity of a set of people is the word of a God, is that God a story teller?
Buddha once said: Believe nothing, no matter where you read it even if i said it, unless it agrees with your own reason...
So it is a charge to embrace your reason and let the questions play out rather than fear them.
Because a subtle mind in error can yet give rise to useful enquiry that can determine truth of great value..
By the way bro my username is Johnydon22..you got it all wrong on your Op wink
[/b]

mmm.....johny you and your long speeches cheesy

choosing a part of the bible to adhere to, doesn't it make one some sort of a hypocrite, choosing what only suits them? is it right?

agnostic christian? mmmm.....maybe i would go and read up on this stuff.

at bold....contrary to your opinion i m actually afraid of going father than this, maybe sitting on the fence would seem better....not sure yet. Sometimes i get headache thinking about this stuff sef.

lol, this your grammar sef, you sound like a prof...hehe anyways i really appreciate your comments. sorry about the username and btw am female. i m okay wiith the bro at least it aint baby grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 9:24pm On Aug 17, 2015
David0:
Well sorry dear, dats not possible. It can b possible wt ur parents but not wt God.
The Bible is God's instructions to us, to teach us on how to reconcile with Him or maintain a good relationship with Him.
How can u luv someone from a distance even when u have d means to b with the person, u chose to remain faraway. That's not luv, dats called infatuation or deception.
In the beginning was the word, n the word was with God n the word was God.
U throw the word away, u throw God away.
If u truly luv God like u claim, u must luv whatever comes from Him.

whatever comes from him? including discriminating against women,people of a different sexual orientation, race, genocide? etc

so if God tells you to kill, would you? dont say God cant tell you to kill because it is in the bible. so i have to believe in his words to prove i love him? do you have to believe in what your friends do to prove that you love them?

isnt God love? if God is love then why is there a need to love his word again?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe In The Bible But I Believe In God Does That Make Me Less A Xiatn by fearlesschicken: 9:26pm On Aug 17, 2015
elantraceey:

check my reply to the other guy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Is A True Man Of God? / RCCG Holy Ghost Congress 2016 (Day 4) / The Naked Truth About Pastor Lazarus Muoka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.