Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device (2357 Views)

Best OBD2 Auto Mileage Correction Tool For VW Golf 6 ? / How To Pick A Good OBD2 Code Reader / Which Obd2 Tool Is Batter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hello Nairalanders

I got one of these cheap ELM bluetooth OBD2 scanner devices. I have used a friends's own on my car before and I decided to buy it.

Unfortunately for me, the ones(Two devices) I bought did not work for my car. The device is able to connect via torque but the app indicates that it cannot talk to the car ECU. I contacted the seller and she advices I should use the computer software, that it should work. I don't have my laptop around me and would only be able to do this during the weekend.

My question is; has any one used the PC based software to access the ELM bluetooth device after it failed to work with Torque app on android?

Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by abatically(m): 1:33pm On Aug 18, 2015
Iluv:
Hello Nairalanders

I got one of these cheap ELM bluetooth OBD2 scanner devices. I have used a friends's own on my car before and I decided to buy it.

Unfortunately for me, the ones(Two devices) I bought did not work for my car. The device is able to connect via torque but the app indicates that it cannot talk to the car ECU. I contacted the seller and she advices I should use the computer software, that it should work. I don't have my laptop around me and would only be able to do this during the weekend.

My question is; has any one used the PC based software to access the ELM bluetooth device after it failed to work with Torque app on android?

Forget torque, sometimes it is difficult to connect. Try obd car doctor which is easier to connect and better than torque in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by colossus2: 5:35pm On Aug 18, 2015
Bros simply get a plug and play scanner. Tried this bluetooth thing last year on my car and it worked just once then it couldn't communicate with ECU again.
With plug and play, no worries.
Now you have purchased 2 bluetooth devices which might have amounted to the cheapest plug and play device.
Just abandon those stuff bro and save yourself unnecessary headache.
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by abatically(m): 5:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
colossus2:
Bros simply get a plug and play scanner. Tried this bluetooth thing last year on my car and it worked just once then it couldn't communicate with ECU again.
Now you have purchased 2 bluetooth devices which might have amounted to the cheapest plug and play device.

Bluetooth devices work more than lots of plug and play. For me its either a professional plug and play (which are expensive) or a cheap bluetooth. A bluetooth elm327 can do a lot more than ur average plug and play that are sold for like 8-15k. Most of ur average plug and play can't read live data which a simple bluetooth elm327 can do with ease. It depends on the software u are using with it.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by adanny01(m): 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
colossus2:

Its either a professional or the cheap elm bluetooth devices. Those intermediate or the plug and play are not better in anyway. Obd car doctor free is perfect and has better parameter displays. It also displays only parameters compatible with the car you are scanning while torque free displays all whether those parameters are online or not. Torque is more tweakable but a little combersome while remaining available for tweaking offline.

The plug and play is not friendly espcially for reading live data but the elm is compatible with a computer and phone which will give you a very good display of your live data which a non professional can easy read and understand. Its not easy to read live data in a digit display format but very easy on a graphical or circular dail display.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by colossus2: 6:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
Okay abatically and adanny01. Didn't know all these. Had issues sometime ago with the bluetooth device cos it was stressful and frustrating when it didn't connect to ECU even when I tried using a laptop, so I opted for the plug and play....no stress, reads live data also. Thanks smiley
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by adanny01(m): 8:35pm On Aug 18, 2015
colossus2:
Okay abatically and adanny01. Didn't know all these. Had issues sometime ago with the bluetooth device cos it was stressful and frustrating when it didn't connect to ECU even when I tried using a laptop, so I opted for the plug and play....no stress, reads live data also. Thanks smiley

I think it is more stressful connecting with older cars.

Look at the pix below, you cant get such with plug and play but this you can get with the cheap elm.

Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by mexxy1(m): 2:08am On Aug 19, 2015
adanny01:

I think it is more stressful connecting with older cars.

Look at the pix below, you cant get such with plug and play but this you can get with the cheap elm.

Please are you using the same one the OP showed in his pictures? I bought same and it showed the same messages OP got so I returned it and asked for a refund which I got. I'm trying to get a better one if possible just to be able to scan my vehicle and do preventive maintenance. Thanks.
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by boldx(m): 3:55am On Aug 19, 2015
call me if you are in Abuja. i have helped people connect theirs. have you paired the elm with your phone. Delete the app from your phone and download again. 07019122591.
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by gambus007(m): 1:56am On Aug 20, 2015
Unpair bluetooth connection and pair again when done with pairing launch any of the software.better than so called plug and play scanners.most of dose scanners are made in china very cheap.our brothers will tag high prices before you buy any expensive scanner check aliexpress and compare prices.most seller buy frm them.i saw delphi Ds150e cloned type tagged 85k on konga.cloned delphi should not b more than 15k atmost.same thing goes to other scanner too
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by adanny01(m): 6:02pm On Aug 20, 2015
mexxy1:

Please are you using the same one the OP showed in his pictures? I bought same and it showed the same messages OP got so I returned it and asked for a refund which I got. I'm trying to get a better one if possible just to be able to scan my vehicle and do preventive maintenance. Thanks.

Yes
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by mexxy1(m): 8:17pm On Aug 20, 2015
adanny01:

Yes

Mine showed same messages on OP's phone so I returned it for a refund.
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 01, 2015
mexxy1:

Mine showed same messages on OP's phone so I returned it for a refund.

Please where did you buy from? And how did u return it?
Re: I Need Help with my ELM Obd2 Device by mexxy1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 01, 2015
Iluv:

Please where did you buy from? And how did u return it?

I bought it online on Konga. There is a return policy so if the time stipulated has not elapsed, you can request and they'll reply you.

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Xterra Issues / Lagos State Motor Vehicle Administration Agency (m.v.a.a.) / Corolla 2010 Gear Delay Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.