Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,336 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus (2293 Views)

Man Compares Magician Who 'Walks In The Air' To Jesus (Photos) / Former Herbalist Is Confronted, Renounces Fetish Practices, Surrenders To Jesus. / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by Scholar8200(m): 4:42pm On Aug 20, 2015
MrPristine:

Did you read verse 25 at all The question Jesus was answering with that parable was how to receive eternal life. Go back and read it and stop this futile argument for Christ's sake.
In conclusion, consider a subject with respect to all that was said about it!

John 3:3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

P.S. : Why did the Angel direct Cornelius (Act 10) to seek for Peter to preach the Gospel to him in order to be saved if all Cornelius' good works and almsgiving were sufficient to earn him a place in the kingdom?!
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by MrPristine: 5:28pm On Aug 20, 2015
David0:
MrPristine

Obeying or following or accepting to adopt instructions or commandments of someone, requires u to first know that person, believing or trusting that person, accepting the persons idea, before following that person.

Jesus has told us He's d way, truth n life, no one comes to the father but by Him.

How can u follow His instructions if u don't even believe or accept who He is.

Jesus Himself said go preach d gospel. When u preach the gospel, what do u tell people?
U tell the unbelievers about Jesus who died for their sin. U want them to know who Jesus is.

Now d first step in their repentance is accepting Christ, accepting His purpose for us all. After which u learn more about Him, and what He expects from u which is to Love God and love everyone irrespective of who they are. That is what d kingdom of God is all about.

Of kos u can Love everyone, but u will b breaking d other part of d law which says love God if u don't accept Jesus Christ.

The parables u gave are d various ways Jesus thought us to show love to people.

How then can we love God so we don't fall short. God Himself said, This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased, Hear Him. Matthew 17:5

U can simply love God by obeying His instructions, serve Him and Him alone.

The parables Jesus gave in my examples above are on how to receive eternal life and not on how to show love. Don't get it twisted. Would you rather follow the teachings of Christ or the teachings of your pastor.
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by MrPristine: 5:29pm On Aug 20, 2015
Scholar8200:
In conclusion, consider a subject with respect to all that was said about it!

John 3:3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

P.S. : Why did the Angel direct Cornelius (Act 10) to seek for Peter to preach the Gospel to him in order to be saved if all Cornelius' good works and almsgiving were sufficient to earn him a place in the kingdom?!

What does it mean to be born again?
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by Scholar8200(m): 5:35pm On Aug 20, 2015
MrPristine:

What does it mean to be born again?
It means to be born of the Spirit;to be saved the condition being believing on, and receiving Jesus Christ.

John 3:6-8

Acts 16:31
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by MrPristine: 5:40pm On Aug 20, 2015
It is my firm belief that the term "born again" which is bandied about most pentecostal churches these days is grossly mis understood because a key part of what it manifests is never even mentioned in these churches and this critical part is Love. The only other place in scripture were the term born again is used is in 1 peter 1:22-23 were being born again is associated with loving the brethen.

1 Peter 1:22-23King James Version (KJV)

22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

If you don't love your fellow man then you can't possibly be born again.
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by MrPristine: 5:42pm On Aug 20, 2015
Scholar8200:
It means to be born of the Spirit;to be saved the condition being believing on, and receiving Jesus Christ.

John 3:6-8

Acts 16:31

Good, if you are born again then you must manifest the fruits of the spirit right?
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by MrPristine: 5:47pm On Aug 20, 2015
MrPristine:

Good, if you are born again then you must manifest the fruits of the spirit right?

The fruits of the spirit as stated in the bible are:
Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

So you agree with me that if you are truly born again you must have the above listed fruits. Kindly note that it didn't say belief in Christ or accepting him as your Lord and saviour and it is quite possible to have these fruits without necessarily being a christian.

PS: Kindly note that i am devoted Christian who is very passionate about the teachings of Christ.
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by Scholar8200(m): 6:45pm On Aug 20, 2015
MrPristine:

Yes
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by Scholar8200(m): 6:46pm On Aug 20, 2015
MrPristine:

The fruits of the spirit as stated in the bible are:
Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

So you agree with me that if you are truly born again you must have the above listed fruits. Kindly note that it didn't say belief in Christ or accepting him as your Lord and saviour and it is quite possible to have these fruits without necessarily being a christian.

PS: Kindly note that i am devoted Christian who is very passionate about the teachings of Christ.
How did you become a christian?
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by David0(m): 9:00pm On Aug 20, 2015
MrPristine:

The parables Jesus gave in my examples above are on how to receive eternal life and not on how to show love. Don't get it twisted. Would you rather follow the teachings of Christ or the teachings of your pastor.

Of cos that's d end purpose for showing love. But like Jesus said, Love God and Love ur neighbour as ursef. Abiding by dis 2 commandments eternal life is sure.

The parables u gave only demonstrates love for ur neighbour which certainly is not enough to gain eternal life. There's still that part where u must Love God also.

Now how do u Love God if u choose not to accept His only begotten son, who Himself instructed u to obey?

Now if u understand what Jesus Christ stand for, then ur argument is flawed.
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by MrPristine: 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
Scholar8200:
How did you become a christian?

I was born into a christian family but my christian faith was renewed and strengthened when i decided to study the character and teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the gospels. (i refuse to use the term 'born again' which most christians don't even properly understand.)
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by MrPristine: 4:19pm On Aug 21, 2015
David0:

Of cos that's d end purpose for showing love. But like Jesus said, Love God and Love ur neighbour as ursef. Abiding by dis 2 commandments eternal life is sure.

The parables u gave only demonstrates love for ur neighbour which certainly is not enough to gain eternal life. There's still that part where u must Love God also.

Now how do u Love God if u choose not to accept His only begotten son, who Himself instructed u to obey?

Now if u understand what Jesus Christ stand for, then ur argument is flawed.

Again you are wrong, we love Jesus because he loved us first and even died for our sins, the only way the bible teaches us to Love God is to love our fellow men.

1 john 4:20 If we say we love God, but hate others, we are liars. For we cannot love God, whom we have not seen, if we do not love others, whom we have seen.
Re: The Way To Eternal Life According To Jesus by David0(m): 6:08pm On Aug 21, 2015
MrPristine:

Again you are wrong, we love Jesus because he loved us first and even died for our sins, the only way the bible teaches us to Love God is to love our fellow men.

1 john 4:20 If we say we love God, but hate others, we are liars. For we cannot love God, whom we have not seen, if we do not love others, whom we have seen.

Going by ur interpretation, even a pagan or Atheist can make heaven just by loving their fellow men right? NO.

U misinterpreted that passage. The passage only quells the hypocrisy or the misunderstanding of love itself. U cannot claim u love God, if u don't love ur neighbor, that makes u a liar. Loving ur neighbour is a reflection of the love u have for God. Loving ur neighbour is wat God expects from u, obeying God's words is the show of love for God. These two are inseparable. God must be in the mix. Ur purpose for loving ur neighbour must be God driven. And it can only happen if u first accept Jesus Christ who is the only way the truth and d life.

Read this passage:
Matthew 19:16-22
The Rich and the Kingdom of God
16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

NB: Jesus answered the man's question by referring to the Ten commandments. Meaning Obeying God's instructions. Now there are two things involved here; 1. Loving God by obeying His instructions 2. Loving ur neighbour cos if u love ur neighbour u won't kill him, u won't steal from him etc.

Now read this:
Matthew 22:34-40
The Greatest Commandment
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Now back to my last question which ur yet to answer. How can u love God if u cannot accept Jesus Christ who Himself said is His only begotten son, Hear Him. Matthew 17:5?

If u know what Jesus stands for then ur argument is flawed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PROPHECY: Dr. Paul Enenche Of Dunamis Reveals What Will Happen In 2016 / See Evidence The Jesus With "Long Hair" In Churches Is False. / Five Fact That Shows Jesus Is God. And Most Superior And Influential

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.