Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) (2907 Views)

8 Free Apps That Can Break Your Smartphone Addiction / 5 Free Apps To Make Sure You Never Forget Your Username And Passwords / 20 Best Offline Android Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) by MrCrown: 1:34pm On Aug 19, 2015
It's not hard to find great lists of the best apps to load into your android Phone. Google PlayStore conceals a wealth of apps that are really exceptional and important. I have sifted through the Playstore to bring you these hidden gems, apps that don't always make the "Loudest noise" lists (though some are), but deliver fantastic utility and interesting new features to your android phone or Tab.
Fasten your seatbelts, you really are spoiled for choice when it comes to apps, with the Google Playstore being home to thousands of them. But I must warn you, the huge quantity of apps doesn't mean they're all quality - far from it in fact. To make sure you never install a duff app, here is a quick guide.

1) Pushbullet- lets you view your Android phone's notifications and messages directly on your desktop PC. It means if you get a text message you can read it there and then without having to take your phone out of your pocket or bag. You can also quickly send files from your computer to your phone with only a few clicks.
2) Jumia- One of Nigeria’s biggest and best online shopping platform with doorstep delivery service. The Jumia app is packed full of features that make it easy to browse, buy and manage your experience whenever and wherever you are. (Konga, Dealdey, Efritin, Olx etc)
3) Shazam- You have stumbled on a music you’ve been dreaming of downloading but youre utterly confused about the artist or song title? Shazam (Soundhog) has made things easy, just activate this app and move close to the music and within minutes everything about the song comes up on your device and you know the good part, this is also saved on your history, just in case you forgot to download at that instant.
4) Linked-In By far the best social media app for professional circles, trust me this app has helped a lot of people change careers etc trust me you too can benefit hugely.
5) Kaspersky mobile- These days the internet is awash with so many viruses, malwares and worms meant to take over your device, wipe your phone memory etc, with Kaspersky youre covered to a great extent, with added features like anti-theft (a very cool feature)and don’t forget there are a couple of good ones i.e. 360 security, Avast, Norton, McAfee etc.
6) QR&BarCode scanner- It’s extremely easy to use; simply point to QR or barcode you want to scan and this app will automatically detect and scan it. No need to press any buttons, take photos or adjust zoom.
7) News24 Nigeria- This App is pretty good in case you’re the type who doesn’t like a lot of apps clogging your device, a one stop news app for happenings within Nigeria.
cool Quickteller- the best payment app in Nigeria and the safest so far. Pay for DSTV, PHCN etc
9) Office lens- We've seen document scanning apps before, but Office Lens is one of the slickest yet, helped in no small part by the office integration afforded by being a Microsoft app.
Pictures of documents and whiteboards are trimmed and enhanced and can then be converted into Word, PowerPoint or PDF files and uploaded to OneNote or OneDrive for easy access from other devices. While scanning a business card will turn it into a contact on your phone, ensuring the content is easily accessible and never gets lost.
10) Musicplus- Similar to Netflix or Spotify. Music+ has been pretty quick to establish itself as the top music streaming service in Nigeria, and this interactive app brings some great features to your Android device, turning it into a pocket jukebox that delivers your favorite tunes no matter what network you are using- even better its free.
11) BBC news- While we need to have an app that tells you everything going on around the world you live in, BBC news delivers this perfectly with easy interface and a few added features regularly.
12) Peelsmart- Just in case you can’t find your remote, use your phone with this app. It’s that simple, change channels, volume controls… (pranking)
13) Whatsapp- One of the most essential apps you can install on your Android device, especially if you have friends and family across the world. Rather than using up your SMS allowance by sending text messages, WhatsApp lets you send messages over any Wi-Fi or mobile data connection instead. You can also send and receive photos with no size restrictions, and if you're using Wi-Fi (or you have unlimited mobile data) they won't cost you any extra to send.
14) BBM- Now I have to admit this app is the best real time instant messaging service, with a few downsides (picture/video sharing size limitations), but I guess this is worth it all the way.
15) Twitter- Need I explain how this works? Well I guess not, Nigeria ranks among the best twit champs in the world.
16) Skype- There's a good chance that you've heard of Skype, the excellent voice and video service (with instant messaging thrown in for good measure as well). The Android app integrates brilliantly with your device, making it easy to make and receive calls. Calls to other Skype users over Wi-Fi are free, but you can also make calls to mobiles and landlines as well. You'll need Skype credit for this.
17) Twoo Or Baddoo- Dating apps are taking the world by storm, and it's easy to see why as it lets you view and connect with people nearby, and its simple interface could net you a match made in heaven. All you need to do is swipe through the photos of people who are using the app nearby and if you like the look of someone swipe right and if not swipe left. If someone likes you back, you'll be put in contact with them through the app. It's also compatible with Android Wear devices.
18) Mobile Banking App- This would largely depend on your bank, this service can save you a lot of time queuing up in the bank… On the go banking is the new thing I must admit.
19) Instagram- Upload photos, add quirky filters to them and share with the world. Over 300 million people use Instagram and thanks to the social aspects and effortless interface it's easy to see why it's such a hit. You're not limited to sharing your snaps on Instagram either, as you can easily add your photos to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and more with just a few taps.
20) Linda Ikeji- Hmmmmm, like it or not this is the best entertainment app in Nigeria.

You can go ahead and add more app suggestions to the comments below, if you strongly feel I omitted any versatile app.
Re: Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 19, 2015
nice writeup. buh nt everybody needs these apps... so I can change channels on dstv with my phone
wow.

so Linda now has an app? cool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) by mjames: 1:55pm On Aug 19, 2015
ok
Re: Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) by MrCrown: 1:18pm On Aug 20, 2015
Oh yes! i omitted ''Truecaller" the app to block out pesky sms and silly numbers you dont want from your phone

2 Likes

Re: Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) by evanpan: 8:06am On Oct 07, 2015
MrCrown:
It's not hard to find great lists of the best apps to load into your android Phone. Google PlayStore conceals a wealth of apps that are really exceptional and important. I have sifted through the Playstore to bring you these hidden gems, apps that don't always make the "Loudest noise" lists (though some are), but deliver fantastic utility and interesting new features to your android phone or Tab.
Fasten your seatbelts, you really are spoiled for choice when it comes to apps, with the Google Playstore being home to thousands of them. But I must warn you, the huge quantity of apps doesn't mean they're all quality - far from it in fact. To make sure you never install a duff app, here is a quick guide.

1) Pushbullet- lets you view your Android phone's notifications and messages directly on your desktop PC. It means if you get a text message you can read it there and then without having to take your phone out of your pocket or bag. You can also quickly send files from your computer to your phone with only a few clicks.
2) Jumia- One of Nigeria’s biggest and best online shopping platform with doorstep delivery service. The Jumia app is packed full of features that make it easy to browse, buy and manage your experience whenever and wherever you are. (Konga, Dealdey, Efritin, Olx etc)
3) Shazam- You have stumbled on a music you’ve been dreaming of downloading but youre utterly confused about the artist or song title? Shazam (Soundhog) has made things easy, just activate this app and move close to the music and within minutes everything about the song comes up on your device and you know the good part, this is also saved on your history, just in case you forgot to download at that instant.
4) Linked-In By far the best social media app for professional circles, trust me this app has helped a lot of people change careers etc trust me you too can benefit hugely.
5) Kaspersky mobile- These days the internet is awash with so many viruses, malwares and worms meant to take over your device, wipe your phone memory etc, with Kaspersky youre covered to a great extent, with added features like anti-theft (a very cool feature)and don’t forget there are a couple of good ones i.e. 360 security, Avast, Norton, McAfee etc.
6) QR&
BarCode scanner- It’s extremely easy to use; simply point to QR or barcode you want to scan and this app will automatically detect and scan it. No need to press any buttons, take photos or adjust zoom.
7) News24 Nigeria- This App is pretty good in case you’re the type who doesn’t like a lot of apps clogging your device, a one stop news app for happenings within Nigeria.
cool Quickteller- the best payment app in Nigeria and the safest so far. Pay for DSTV, PHCN etc
9) Office lens- We've seen document scanning apps before, but Office Lens is one of the slickest yet, helped in no small part by the office integration afforded by being a Microsoft app.
Pictures of documents and whiteboards are trimmed and enhanced and can then be converted into Word, PowerPoint or PDF files and uploaded to OneNote or OneDrive for easy access from other devices. While scanning a business card will turn it into a contact on your phone, ensuring the content is easily accessible and never gets lost.
10) Musicplus- Similar to Netflix or Spotify. Music+ has been pretty quick to establish itself as the top music streaming service in Nigeria, and this interactive app brings some great features to your Android device, turning it into a pocket jukebox that delivers your favorite tunes no matter what network you are using- even better its free.
11) BBC news- While we need to have an app that tells you everything going on around the world you live in, BBC news delivers this perfectly with easy interface and a few added features regularly.
12) Peelsmart- Just in case you can’t find your remote, use your phone with this app. It’s that simple, change channels, volume controls… (pranking)
13) Whatsapp- One of the most essential apps you can install on your Android device, especially if you have friends and family across the world. Rather than using up your SMS allowance by sending text messages, WhatsApp lets you send messages over any Wi-Fi or mobile data connection instead. You can also send and receive photos with no size restrictions, and if you're using Wi-Fi (or you have unlimited mobile data) they won't cost you any extra to send.
14) BBM- Now I have to admit this app is the best real time instant messaging service, with a few downsides (picture/video sharing size limitations), but I guess this is worth it all the way.
15) Twitter- Need I explain how this works? Well I guess not, Nigeria ranks among the best twit champs in the world.
16) Skype- There's a good chance that you've heard of Skype, the excellent voice and video service (with instant messaging thrown in for good measure as well). The Android app integrates brilliantly with your device, making it easy to make and receive calls. Calls to other Skype users over Wi-Fi are free, but you can also make calls to mobiles and landlines as well. You'll need Skype credit for this.
17) Twoo Or Baddoo- Dating apps are taking the world by storm, and it's easy to see why as it lets you view and connect with people nearby, and its simple interface could net you a match made in heaven. All you need to do is swipe through the photos of people who are using the app nearby and if you like the look of someone swipe right and if not swipe left. If someone likes you back, you'll be put in contact with them through the app. It's also compatible with Android Wear devices.
18) Mobile Banking App- This would largely depend on your bank, this service can save you a lot of time queuing up in the bank… On the go banking is the new thing I must admit.
19) Instagram- Upload photos, add quirky filters to them and share with the world. Over 300 million people use Instagram and thanks to the social aspects and effortless interface it's easy to see why it's such a hit. You're not limited to sharing your snaps on Instagram either, as you can easily add your photos to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and more with just a few taps.
20) Linda Ikeji- Hmmmmm, like it or not this is the best entertainment app in Nigeria.

You can go ahead and add more app suggestions to the comments below, if you strongly feel I omitted any versatile app.

Hi, MrCrown.
Thanks for your nice sharing. I will check it later.

Best regards,
Pan
Re: Top 20 Best Free Apps For Your Android Device (For Naija) by Chillinmasoul(m): 9:48pm On May 08, 2018
Also see these top naija music apps and best naija new apps

(1) (Reply)

Is Airtel The Best Nigeria Network? Free Fb, Free Nairaland... / No Difference: Nokia 1280 Vs Iphone / Brand-new Kimfly 4G LTE Phone For Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.