Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,302 members, 7,815,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? (945 Views)

What The Car You Drive Says About You / The Reason Why You Must Go Round Your Car Before You Drive Off / Subconsciously: At What Clock Hand Do You Drive At An Average Speed? Let's Share (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? by Ricmayak1: 6:05am On Aug 20, 2015
Hello nairalanders,

How can one drive down from a long, steep and rocky hill.
Apply brakes for too long, it might overheat
Engine braking can't be applied because one will be moving too slowly due to the rocks/stones. This can turn off the engine
Emergency brake application is not wise since it is not an emergency and will wear it out.
I am just wondering what the condition of the brake disk (temperature) will be in scenario, for average cars. Let's take Toyota Hulu as example.
Your thoughts.....
Re: How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 20, 2015
I've never driven down a steep, rocky road, but if I ever did, the brakes will be my best friend.
Re: How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? by nurey(m): 8:42am On Aug 20, 2015
Ricmayak1:
Hello nairalanders,

How can one drive down from a long, steep and rocky hill.
Apply brakes for too long, it might overheat
Engine braking can't be applied because one will be moving too slowly due to the rocks/stones. This can turn off the engine
Emergency brake application is not wise since it is not an emergency and will wear it out.
I am just wondering what the condition of the brake disk (temperature) will be in scenario, for average cars. Let's take Toyota Hulu as example.
Your thoughts.....

you just drive the car normally, there is no difference, just to apply common sense, the brakes are meant to be hot, just make sure you buy original to avoid wraping or breaking of the brake components.

the only difference I know is driving on steep slopes often wears the brake out more, reason why when you drive in Abeokuta (which is filled with lots of hilly drive) your brake pads wear out early
Re: How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? by kingreign(m): 9:40am On Aug 20, 2015
Wanna drive down a long steep rocky hill?

Simple, throttle hard and ensure your bottom plate hits every rock outcrop you can see and on those rock outcrop, ensure you brake hard so the bottom plate knocks against the rock.
Thats the way to come down a steep rocky hill safely.

But that hilux must always make 'KPOM' sound from the back when doing that descent.
Re: How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? by sultaan(m): 4:08pm On Aug 20, 2015
Simply buy a trail rated Jeep press the hill descent button and steer

1 Like

Re: How Do You Drive Down From A Steep Rocky Hill? by Ricmayak1: 10:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
grin grin
kingreign:

Simple, throttle hard and ensure your bottom plate hits every rock outcrop you can see and on those rock outcrop, ensure you brake hard so the bottom plate knocks against the rock.

But that hilux must always make 'KPOM' sound from the back when doing that descent.
grin
kingreign:

yeye guy

(1) (Reply)

Honda Trouble / Ford, Lincoln And Mercury. Transmission Disengagement At 2nd Speed. / Auto Electrician/technician Here Pls Help...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.