Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? (2411 Views)

FG Hands Over Seized Snakes, Spiders, Millipedes To University Of Uyo / How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) / Advantages Of Studying In A Nigerian Polytechnic Over A University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? by obynoses(m): 11:21am On Aug 20, 2015
I was wondering what could be done to make sure that Nigerian Polytechnic Education is seen as analogous to that of its University counterpart. I graduated from a Computer Science department in one of the many Nigerian Polytechnics sometime in 2009. During my NYSC program and while in the Labor Market between 2010-2011, i faced so many challenges of HND-BSC dichotomy. That pushed me to one of the famous Federal Universities in Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka where i anchored a direct entry program in same Computer Science. Sincerely speaking, i was the best student in my department. I organized tutorials even for the Final year students of my department in Programming and Hardware Maintenance Courses. Whenever i am writing a program, everybody will gather to learn. I was also introduced to the Computer Science Department President of University of Nigeria,Nsukka who coordinated tutorials for me in his department. I wrote final year project Programs for the final year student in my own second year at UNIZIK. I became so bemused that the almighty UNIZIK and UNN students knew little or nothing as regards practical approaches in my field. "Why then are these people rated high? Is it because of the unparalleled Admission Prerequisite between University and Polytechnic? Anyway, i am just in UNIZIK to obtain the almighty "Bsc"" I intermittently soliloquized. The Professors that we had in UNIZIK were just answering the name but don't know anything to teach. It is even the Phd.Lecturers that impacted knowledge to us. So why should Universities be rated high because they have Professors and Phd holders than the Polytechnic. All i learnt in UNIZIK were nothing new. I was a Professional in those courses in my HND days in the Polytechnic. In fact, I saw myself teaching the UNIZIK students with the same valueless Polytechnic Knowledge i learnt from Valueless Polytechnic Lecturers(BSC holders.ooo). Finally, i graduated as one of the best students in my department in UNIZIK. Now, i have the almighty "BSC". But this story is not why i am writing this. I am writing this to suggest to my fellow Nigerians and employers of labor to treat Polytechnic Graduates as same with University graduates. In my place of work, when computers malfunction, a University Engineer goes to a road-side repairer and gets it done, but a polytechnic graduate will just get his tools and tidy the mess. So, what are we talking about? Is it not a better work output that will want? Why then pay less to someone that is grounded in the work and pay high to someone that knows little than to pose with a certificate. Any sensible employer will even treat a Polytechnic graduate better. My own take on this is;
1. A graduate with NYSC should be seen as a graduate irrespective of his BSC OR HND Certificate
2. Test your employees brain and skills before employment and not Certificates.
MY ADVICE TO THE GOVERNMENT ON THIS:
1. Organize Polytechnic and BSC graduate tests to know the best products
2. Organize Inter-school examinations among Polytechnic and University undergraduates
3. Improve Polytechnic and Monotechnic Educational standards to meet with that of the University

Finally, i advise Polytechnics in Nigeria to brace up with the fact and improve in their Admission criteria and Academics planning. Like the Federal Polytechnic Oko, Anambra state has started writing departmental examinations with Computers. This is a good development. I must applaud whoever the Rector is. He is a dogged achiever to have installed such examination system in Nigeria. Apart from National Open University of Nigeria, I don't think we have upto 4 Universities in Nigeria with such a developmental strand. A brother of mine in the school said Lecturers do not mark their scripts now, that computer does everything for you as soon as you submit in just a button click. So, if things like this can be obtainable in other Polytechnics, then Polytechnic Education will be the best. But if you have the money and time, go for your "Big B" because Nigeria is still far from knowing the truth about this certificate dichotomy. I have got mine.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? by Ginaz(f): 11:45am On Aug 20, 2015
so true
Re: When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? by greatestunclebe: 11:48am On Aug 20, 2015
Nice one guy! I am a witness in the Federal Polytechnic OKO exams. No sorting again because na computer de mark am. So Lecturer no de do guy again. Our fine girls in Oko Poly no de suffer sexual harrasment again.Thanks to Prof.Godwin Onu, our Rector. the man of the moment. Buhari abeg kari dz OUR Rector up.o...He is changing this school to University standard. Na true, see Pictures below, no b for mouth.

1 Like

Re: When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? by anthoniaeze28: 12:08pm On Aug 20, 2015
Partially true! I graduated from the UNIZIK you are talking about. Some departments are just foolish. They dont teach anything especially in that science side. But Law students are the best. As for Polytechnic, i dont think it can be equivalent because we spend more money in the university than Polytechnic. Again, we suffer alot in securing a pass unlike the Polytechnics that sort Lecturers. As for Oko Rector, i think he is trying but he may not attain the University standard nomatter how he tries. I ran into the Rector's blog last week www.godwinonu..com/ and saw some of the things he is doing. He is trying because he is a product of UNIZIK. He was a Professor in Political science and that is why he is doing wonders in that poly. so, you need University products to make the polytechnic standard. As for practicals, poly is better and i am not in doubt. so the discrimination may be reduced or wiped off if i were in power, because i have many intelligent brothers in Yabatech and Auchi Poly.
Re: When Will Nigerian Polytechnic Education Be Equivalent To University Education? by dafuturis(m): 6:37pm On Jul 20, 2017
Please when did Polytechnic graduates started going for service?
I was just thrown this question by my boss.

Someone please help

(1) (Reply)

Chartered Financial Analyst (cfa), Abuja / Federal Poly Ilaro ND [FULL-TIME] Second Batch Admission List Is Out.. / Jamb 2017 Notice To All Students On The New Online Reg And Payment System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.