Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,850 members, 7,841,213 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Oscar Pistorius's Release From Prison Halted By South Africa's Justice Minister - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Oscar Pistorius's Release From Prison Halted By South Africa's Justice Minister (448 Views)

Nigerian Man Arrested By South African Police Found Dead The Next Day (Graphic) / Nigerian Strangled To Death By South African Policemen / Oscar Pistorius Found Guilty Of MURDER! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oscar Pistorius's Release From Prison Halted By South Africa's Justice Minister by Vidamia(m): 4:59pm On Aug 20, 2015
Paralympian, serving five-year sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp, was due to be moved to house arrest but parole board is ordered to review case

Oscar Pistorius’s release from prison has been put on hold by the South African government. The Paralympian, convicted of culpable homicide for the killing of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, was due to be moved to house arrest on Friday after serving 10 months behind bars. But Michael Masutha, the justice minister, has referred the matter back to the parole review board, sowing legal confusion and doubts over the release date.

Mthunzi Mhaga, spokesman for the Justice Department, said the date would have to be reviewed again because the athlete was approved to be moved to house arrest too soon.

Oscar Pistorius prosecutors file appeal against murder acquittal
Pistorius should have served 10 months, or one-sixth, of his five-year sentence before being considered for release, Mhaga said. But he was approved for parole in June, eight months into his sentence. It is unclear when the parole board will meet to consider Pistorius for release, but it is unlikely that a new decision will be made before Friday’s initially planned release date.

Ian Levitt, a lawyer who attended the trial, praised the minister’s intervention. “The minister was acting prudently, acting responsibly,” he told the eNews Channel Africa. “He did exactly what he is entitled to do. The ultimate decision rests with the minister.”

Masutha received a petition on Monday from the Progressive Women’s Movement of South Africa expressing opposition to the release of Pistorius during the country’s Women’s Month. Asked about the timing of his intervention, Masutha, speaking from Cape Town, explained: “Ordinarily I do not consider decisions of parole boards … In this instance I had representations two days ago from a women’s rights organisation which requested that I review the decision.”

The organisation’s argument that Pistorius should not be released in Women’s Month was “not sound in law”, he added, but prompted him to study the parole decision and find fault in its timing. “I don’t go around looking at cases and checking whether they have been dealt with in compliance with the law. It’s only when a matter has been brought to my attention that I would deal with that.”

A statement from the Department of Justice and Correctional Services cited a law stating that a person sentenced to imprisonment must serve at least one-sixth of his or her sentence before being considered for “correctional supervision”, a form of house arrest. It said: “The decision to release him on 21 August 2015 was made prematurely on 5 June 2015 when the offender was not eligible to be considered at all ... One-sixth of a five-year sentence is 10 months, and at the time the decision was made, Mr Pistorius had served only six months of his sentence.”

Pistorius’s aunt, Lois, said: “We’ll wait for the people to decide. I’ve just heard the news and haven’t had time to think what I’m going to say. It’s not in my hands as Mrs Pistorius to comment or say anything about it.” Another family member, who did not wish to be named, said the family would accept the decision and seek legal advice on the available options.

The Women’s League of the governing African National Congress welcomed the ruling. It said: “The ANC Women’s League remains convinced that Judge [Thokozile] Masipa handed down an erroneous judgment and an extremely lenient sentence to Pistorius … setting a bad precedent in cases involving gender-based violence, especially in instances where women die at the hands of their partners.

http://www.theguardian.com. oscar-pistorius-release-date-put-on-hold
Re: Oscar Pistorius's Release From Prison Halted By South Africa's Justice Minister by ladyF(f): 5:00pm On Aug 20, 2015
Eeyah.

Reeva's family isn't contending the rather short jail time?
Re: Oscar Pistorius's Release From Prison Halted By South Africa's Justice Minister by Immanueladebol(m): 5:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
Re: Oscar Pistorius's Release From Prison Halted By South Africa's Justice Minister by xertyy: 5:07pm On Aug 20, 2015
ok
Re: Oscar Pistorius's Release From Prison Halted By South Africa's Justice Minister by BiggerBangs: 5:49pm On Aug 20, 2015
thank God

(1) (Reply)

France Confirms The Wing Part Found On Reunion Island From Missing Malaysian Air / Alleged Oil Sector Fraud: ‘ Why FG Is Not Charging Diezani, Others Now’ / Businessman Remanded In Prison For Producing Fake Syrup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.