Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Before You Buy Your Next Device... - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Before You Buy Your Next Device... (1559 Views)

See Chinese Phones With Crazy Specs Your Next Device Should Have / Why Huawei Mate 8 Is The Next Device You Need / Want To Test Infinix's Next Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Olaryeankarh(m): 8:00pm On Aug 20, 2015
Choosing the right and perfect smartphone for yourself can be a daunting task especially when you are surrounded by too many brands at a time. True, you have plenty options but if one is not careful, there could be regrets. Nobody really wants to purchase a smartphone today and decide to change it in a few weeks’ time. Only geeks do that, and they have a good reason for it!

There’s a bulk of things everyone should look out for in a smartphone. However, there is no ‘perfect smartphone’. A perfect smartphone for you might just wear out in three months when there is a much updated version in the market. You get the point? Nonetheless, when you know your onions, you’ll live with a smartphone you are happy with and the same which would last you for quite some time. Now, let’s see how we can help you select the best smartphone(s).

DISPLAY/SCREEN SIZE

Before now, what people considered as a perfect screen size was 4.0” – 4.5”; however it gets better and even more convenient with a 5.0-inch screen. Thankfully, out of every 10 smartphones out there today, 7 of them are about 5” in screen size. In essence, to find a mobile phone that would work for you, you might want to consider starting from a 5-inch screen model – big enough for easy typing, viewing videos and playing games. If you don’t mind, you can step up the game a bit with a 5.5-inch screen size. Only know that the larger the size of the screen, the bigger the phone gets to be. In case you would not like to carry a big phone around, there are couple of 4.5” smartphones around that you can choose from here.

Hint: Get a ruler, switch to the inch side and measure the diagonal of the screen (not the whole phone) to know how many inches a particular smartphone is.

-- * SCREEN TYPE

There are two major screen types to watch out for – IPS and AMOLED. Both have their own advantages. Discerning which to opt for can leave you clueless but let’s compare a little.

- IPS LCD: IPS (in-plane-switching) display is a technology that was built dust off the imitations of conventional TFT display. Basically, IPS LCD offers better response time [great for gamers], better color reproduction and makes for better viewing angles. IPS is great for daylight visibility. Experts say that it produces sharper images too. However, IPS appears to drain more power and requires a very strong backlight.

- AMOLED: AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode) is a composition of organic compounds that illuminates when electric charge passes through. Therefore there is no need for any form of backlight for luminosity. AMOLED screens are slimmer and they offer great contrast but may not be able to produce images as sharp as IPS. Because of the slim screen, AMOLED phones are usually less bulky compared to IPS. They can be expensive but quite affordable on VConnect.

--* SCREEN RESOLUTION

Most times, screen resolution is one major determinant of choosing a phone. Screen resolution is basically measured in pixels and the higher the resolution, the better. The resolution of a phone’s screen determines how clear, sharp and vivid the display would be. For instance, a display built for 720p resolution will be able to play your full HD videos as high as 720p without hassles. If however you intend to play a 1080p video with it, you could experience difficulties and may lose some detail in the course of playing. Also, the resolution of the screen contributes to how convenient it would be for a user to use the phone in bright sunlight. Again; the higher the resolution, the better.

Hint: 1440 x 2560 pixels– High Quality Display (1080p) [See Samsung Galaxy S6]

720 x 1280 pixels – Medium Quality Display (720p) [See Microsoft Lumia 640 XL]

480 x 800 pixels – Low Quality Display (480p) [See HTC Desire 500]

RAM CAPACITY

Another important thing you want to assure yourself is great performance. As with a bigger computer, the Random Access Memory (RAM) of a smartphone enables it to load programs and apps as well as to multitask effectively. The size of your RAM is a contributing factor to how smooth your phone will be running. Certainly, the higher the RAM, the better the phone – in terms of performance. To avoid facing series of ‘phone hangs’, make sure you choose a smartphone with RAM large enough to carry your burdens. RAM is measured is Gigabytes (GB). A phone with 1GB RAM will perform good but if you can spew more cash, going for 2GB RAM and above will guarantee you optimum performance.

Hint: Avid gamers should begin their search with 2GB RAM powered smartphones.

As seen on http://blog.vconnect.com/how-to-choose-the-right-smartphone/
[open to read full guide]

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by INTROVERT(f): 8:01pm On Aug 20, 2015
okay
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 20, 2015
cool
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Olaryeankarh(m): 8:12pm On Aug 20, 2015
jpsmart:
cool

Glad you like it. There's more on that link though....
Beware! don't buy now and cry later wink

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 20, 2015
Olaryeankarh:

Glad you like it. There's more on that link though....
Beware! don't buy now and cry later wink

thanks bro. But pls which android phone you suggest i did buy, that cost 15k and below.
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by kaayposh: 8:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
INTROVERT:
okay
you dun already book space for here abi
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Olaryeankarh(m): 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2015
jpsmart:

thanks bro. But pls which android phone you suggest i did buy, that cost 15k and below.

I really don't know which one wlil be good for you but try the new Infinix Hot 2 ---> http://www.mobileraft.com/infinix-hot-2-x510-review-specs-price/
It's above 15k though.
Or simply opt for one of those Lenovos or Huaweii phones. InnJoo Fire is a nice device too...

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by blessedvisky(m): 9:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
Good to know
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by slimmyjimmy(m): 9:51pm On Aug 20, 2015
grin
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by lilwayneme(m): 12:23am On Aug 21, 2015
well said... but dem niccurs have to let their pocket decides... grin grin grin
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by chemmerfrank(m): 12:39am On Aug 21, 2015
Before you buy your next device check your money and cut your coat according to your size.
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Olaryeankarh(m): 8:38am On Aug 21, 2015
lilwayneme:
well said... but dem niccurs have to let their pocket decides... grin grin grin

chemmerfrank:
Before you buy your next device check your money and cut your coat according to your size.

You can't be any right! However, knowing your onions will save you loads of pains and regrets; money too in the long run.
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Segadem(m): 11:15am On Aug 21, 2015
chemmerfrank:
The man is absolutely correct, I bought an itel phone without checking the RAM now I can't install any apps from either play store or mobogenie all it says is "you can't install because of insufficient memory"( after I have downloaded the apps)
Do u know the size of the RAM? 512mb(itel 1500).
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Olaryeankarh(m): 11:18am On Aug 21, 2015
Segadem:
The man is absolutely correct, I bought an itel phone without checking the RAM now I can't install any apps from either play store or mobogenie all it says is "you can't install because of insufficient memory"( after I have downloaded the apps)

Exactly! Now, Imagine if only you had seen that earlier and knew what RAM size would suffice for you from the onset.
Sorry tho. I bet you won't make that mistake again smiley

1 Like

Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by femimike1(m): 12:07pm On Aug 21, 2015
Nice job bro … I'm confused in Which phone to buy, I v it in mind to buy the new Redmi note 2 phone (http://www.kulimart.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-2) but a friend of mine showed me a clean iPhone 5 16gb (used ) for 45k .. so I'm totally confused on which one to go for
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Olaryeankarh(m): 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2015
femimike1:
Nice job bro … I'm confused in Which phone to buy, I v it in mind to buy the new Redmi note 2 phone (http://www.kulimart.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-2) but a friend of mine showed me a clean iPhone 5 16gb (used ) for 45k .. so I'm totally confused on which one to go for

Hi, from the look of things, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 packs some cutting edge features and it a gizmo of its own. It looks good and the specifications promise to deliver smooth experience. However, you know how well people respect iPhone users in this region and anywhere in the world. The iPhone 5 may just work fine for you and there's a market for it already here in Nigeria which means you can easily get repairs or solutions to any hardware issues you could face in future. For Xiaomi, I don't think they have a company or support center in Nigeria yet. Should anything happen to the device, you have to send it overseas [if it demands an expert's touch].

You can still make a choice all by yourself if you finish reading the guide @ http://blog.vconnect.com/how-to-choose-the-right-smartphone/ or see http://www.mobileraft.com/smartphone-buying-guide/

If you have any questions, please ask.
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Bosun13: 1:45pm On Aug 21, 2015
Pls I'm Confused between blackberry Z30 nd iphone 5s. I av power power to get one out of d two..... I dnt kn which one to choose.... I need advise nd xplanation
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by chemmerfrank(m): 2:14pm On Aug 21, 2015
Segadem:
how much did you buy it?
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by femimike1(m): 7:20am On Aug 22, 2015
hmm, I see … thanks for the inform, its really helpful
Olaryeankarh:

Hi, from the look of things, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 packs some cutting edge features and it a gizmo of its own. It looks good and the specifications promise to deliver smooth experience. However, you know how well people respect iPhone users in this region and anywhere in the world. The iPhone 5 may just work fine for you and there's a market for it already here in Nigeria which means you can easily get repairs or solutions to any hardware issues you could face in future. For Xiaomi, I don't think they have a company or support center in Nigeria yet. Should anything happen to the device, you have to send it overseas [if it demands an expert's touch].

You can still make a choice all by yourself if you finish reading the guide @ http://blog.vconnect.com/how-to-choose-the-right-smartphone/ or see http://www.mobileraft.com/smartphone-buying-guide/

If you have any questions, please ask.

Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by asekefatima(f): 12:45pm On Aug 22, 2015
Do u need infinix phones at affordable prices and free delivery? Just chat with me on 07032540604
Re: Before You Buy Your Next Device... by Olaryeankarh(m): 9:10pm On Aug 22, 2015
femimike1:
hmm, I see … thanks for the inform, its really helpful

You are welcome wink

Bosun13:
Pls I'm Confused between blackberry Z30 nd iphone 5s. I av power power to get one out of d two..... I dnt kn which one to choose.... I need advise nd xplanation

iPhone 5S could be a better option for me but how about you? What are your needs? Do you want productivity over class? Photography over Connectivity? Gaming over office work? Why do you want to get your next device?

To be factual now to an extent, the iPhone 5 holds more value but the BlackBerry Z30 could play fine if you want something that will keep you chatting and online on-the-go for less.

(1) (Reply)

Have This Number Called You Before / Injoo Max2&max2 Plus Discussion Thread Alternative To Hot Note / BOOM J8: What People Are Saying About The Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.