Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,719 members, 7,847,896 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 10:26 AM

NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe (1042 Views)

Ask Abaribe, Others If You Are Looking For Nnamdi Kanu – Garba Shehu / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Signed By Jewish Rabbi & Enyinnaya Abaribe In Abuja (Photos) / Abaribe Presents To Saraki Abamade Military Kits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by Sanchez01: 9:11pm On Aug 20, 2015
The Senator, representing Abia South Senatorial District in the National Assembly,  Eyinnaya Abaribe, has alleged that N14.468bn was allocated to the National Identity Management Commission for the acquisition of computer software in two years, despite its failure to justify the huge public investment in it.

Abaribe, who disclosed this on Wednesday at the 2015 Annual Lecture of the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Benin, Edo State, ‎explained that the amount, consisted of N10.9bn and N3.568bn in 2013 and 2014, respectively.

The Senator, who is a former Committee Chairman on Information and Media in the 7th Assembly, described the amount as “humongous”.
“Even if the agency wanted to purchase a computer company whole and entire, it could have done so and still have a lot of money left. Yet, it was allocated this humongous amount year after year,”‎ he noted.

The Peoples Democratic Party senator also said the sum of N2.5bn was allocated for welfare packages, acquisition of computer software, and payment to professional bodies for the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, in the last four years.

Abaribe, who is an alumnus of the university, noted that the office of the SGF had N1.223bn as welfare package; N367.715m as “subscription” to professional bodies while N580m was for computer software.

According to him, a breakdown of the money appropriated in the last four years, showed that in 2012, the sum of N250m was appropriated for software acquisition, adding that the subhead appeared again, gulping N100m in 2013, while the sum of N580m was budgeted for the same expenditure in 2014.‎

The former Deputy Governor of Abia State said the huge inconsistencies in budgetary processes and duplication of sub-heads accounted largely for poor implementation of the Federal Government budget since 1999.‎‎

Speaking on the lecture titled ‘Our Country, Our Budget: A Critical Analysis of Nigeria’s Budgeting System’, said, “What could justify the allocation of N1.223bn to that office (SGF) for welfare packages? The same office also has N367.715m for subscription to professional bodies and N580m for computer software acquisition.
“Computer Software in this case constitutes a veritable sink holes for Ministries, Departments and Agencies seeking to pillage the treasury.
“Still on this office, let’s take time to examine this computer software acquisition.  In 2012, N250m was appropriated for software acquisitions. In 2013, the subhead appeared again, gulping N100m.  Now in 2014, N580m was appropriated for it.
“Pray, what is this computer software that a particular office acquires every year? Which privately-owned company acquires computer software to the tune of N100m – and more – every year? If you check the budget for every Ministry, Department and Agencies of the Federal Government, you will see identical provisions for computers, software and consumables, year in year out!”

According to him, under the laws, budget ought to be sent to the National Assembly by September every year, noting that “in my eight years in the National Assembly, only once has this threshold been met”.

He said the Central Bank of Nigeria, some agencies and parastatals refused the National Assembly oversight on their operating budget.

He listed the MDAs to include the Nigerian Port Authority, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency and the Federal Inland Revenue Service.

Other listed are the Department of Petroleum Resources, Nigerian ‎Communication Commission and Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

Abaribe said, “At the time the Emir of Kano(the then Governor of CBN, Lamido Sanusi), was excoriating members of the NASS, his CBN overhead that year was about N320bn; double the total budget for the entire legislative arm; for an agency.
“But he has refused to let the National Assembly look into his operating budget, citing the CBN Act.
“He was not alone. NPA, NIMASA,  FIRS,  DPR,  NCC,  NNPC et  al, all refused the National Assembly oversight of their operating budget citing enabling laws despite the Fiscal Responsibility Act and they were backed by the Presidency.”

www.punchng.com/news/nimc-got-n14bn-for-software-in-two-years-abaribe/
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by helpinghands(m): 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ok
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by Sanchez01: 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2015
Baba will force many to give account through the law and at the end of the day, their accounts would still not be balanced.grin

Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by natas22: 9:17pm On Aug 20, 2015
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by PentiumPro(f): 9:20pm On Aug 20, 2015
These people really finished Nigeria
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by Sanchez01: 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2015
According to him, a breakdown of the money
appropriated in the last four years, showed that in
2012, the sum of N250m was appropriated for
software acquisition, adding that the subhead
appeared again, gulping N100m in 2013, while the
sum of N580m was budgeted for the same
expenditure in 2014.
For softwares alone All these may never see the light of day had the former president been re-elected. They pump sums into an organization without asking for justification on how the sums vanish... EFCC, over to you...
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by doctokwus: 9:38pm On Aug 20, 2015
Annoying that this same people that scammed some people into believing that GEJ was d next best thing to Nnamdi Azikiwe knew all these financial scams that were occurring during his tenure,but kept quiet.
Now that the cluelessly corrupt fisherman is no longer in power,they are coming out,trying to look good.
I bet if GEJ had won re election,this same Abaribe would have been amongst those praising how efficient nimc is and how the appointment of Pius Anyim as the SGF was the best thing to have happened to the Ibos!
Bunch of nauseatingly hypocrites!!
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by bigtt76(f): 9:46pm On Aug 20, 2015
Even if na Windows 10 @ the rate of $199 per licence, e nor go cost dem N10million naira sef.. thieves all of dem grin
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by Sanchez01: 9:59pm On Aug 20, 2015
doctokwus:
Annoying that this same people that scammed some people into believing that GEJ was d next best thing to Nnamdi Azikiwe knew all these financial scams that were occurring during his tenure,but kept quiet.
Now that the cluelessly corrupt fisherman is no longer in power,they are coming out,trying to look good.
I bet if GEJ had won re election,this same Abaribe would have been amongst those praising how efficient nimc is and how the appointment of Pius Anyim as the SGF was the best thing to have happened to the Ibos!
It's as if you read my mind thoroughly. Exactly what I reserved within me. The so-called Senator could come out now because Jonathan has been flushed out. It saddens my heart to see that most of our politicians are not sincere to themselves, their conscience and to the person they sing his/her praise. Funny how a PDP senator has turned an EFCC spokesman overnight.
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by Sanchez01: 10:00pm On Aug 20, 2015
doctokwus:
It's as if you read my mind thoroughly. Exactly what I reserved within me. The so-called Senator could come out now because Jonathan has been flushed out. It saddens my heart to see that most of our politicians are not sincere to themselves, their conscience and to the person they sing his/her praise. Funny how a PDP senator turned an EFCC spokesman overnight.
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by Htown64(m): 10:04pm On Aug 20, 2015
Coming from a PDP senator grin grin
and he was in the house all this while
Re: NIMC Got N14bn For Software In Two Years – Abaribe by Sanchez01: 8:50am On Aug 21, 2015
Htown64:
Coming from a PDP senator grin grin and he was in the house all this while
You just have to fear the way these people play politics.

(1) (Reply)

SGF Appointment: Buhari Disappointed Me – Amaechi / Nigeria First IVF Baby Gets Admission Into European University To Study Medicine / Buhari The Thief!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.