Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,092 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! (1258 Views)

Dareylink (08141629384) Is A Scammer, Fraudster, Thief Etc / GTB Defrauding Its Account Holders In The Name Of Airtime Purchase / New Style Of Shoplifting, Shop Owners Beware! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by Opengates(m): 2:18am On Aug 21, 2015
I received this on my Whatsapp yesternight, when I read through, I felt I should let you people know about this to save you of pain, loss and agony that may accompany it if you fall victim. Please read on:

Please read this carefully, it may save you a few hundred, or a few thousand, or may be a few million bucks. It's a personal experience, a true event that happened this afternoon. I am Sunday Adewole, I just fell victim of fraudsters a few hours ago. I am an account holder with StanbicIBTC bank, I am trying to put fund together to pay for my daughter's tuition fee in CU in which case the institution already resumed last week. Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from somebody purportedly from StanbicIBTC who said "Am I speaking with Dr. Adewole" (called out my other names) to which I answered in the affirmative. He said he called in respect of my BVN which I was observed not to have done, I replied that I already had it done with Skye bank and he said the bank will send me a link so that my account with Stanbic will be linked with the BVN. True to our conversation, I receive a message from StanbicIBTC in which an OTP was sent to my phone. A few minutes later, he called to ask if I got the the SMS, I told him yes but I can't do anything about it cos I was driving. He said no problem I should call out the numbers which I did and he thanked me for my cooperation in a customer service manner. I heard nothing since then till this afternoon at precisely 13:00 hrs when I received a SMS from StanbicIBTC informing me of a debit transaction which cleared my account to the lowest thousand, i.e. I was left with a paltry N685 (six hundred and eighty five naira). I called my account officer who confirmed to me that I have fallen victim of fraudsters and he checked up on my account and saw that the recipient acct is in First Bank. My puzzle is how did they get my account details? How were they able to generate an OTP to my phone. I am waiting to see what my bank would do on it. In the mean time, please be aware of what the 419 people can do. I'll keep you posted on any new development. Pls beware many more fraudsters are out there to fleece you of your hard earned money o
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by Gboliwe: 2:31am On Aug 21, 2015
One just has to be careful. I mean, why would he give a caller his OTP? It is just not right. That's the key that opened him to being a victim
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by eddyline(m): 3:03am On Aug 21, 2015
sorry for your loss. pls what is an OTP. permit my ignorance
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by hola106(m): 3:19am On Aug 21, 2015
Noted
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by chachanga: 3:29am On Aug 21, 2015
Chei... shocked?!

What am I saying sef......

A thousand and 1 "Chei's shocked tongue embarassed"

Don't answer any stray "Customer Care" offering you unsolicited help!
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by Oshare2: 4:05am On Aug 21, 2015
eddyline:
sorry for your loss. pls what is an OTP. permit my ignorance
OTP: One Time Password
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by Nobody: 4:18am On Aug 21, 2015
Just don't know what is happening.
My nebor recently was heavily defrauded too.
She went for an international conference in country A and used her atm partially(though she was against going with it but her bank assured her of its safety), now after d conference,she went to country B annd then back home.
Since she left her phone behind(there was a reason for that),as soon as she put it on, see alerts.
Lo and behold,her money was cleared even d salary that just entered.

It happened that while she was in country B, her atm was being used in country A for shopping cos d person actually buys and pay over d counter.

Her card was cloned.

People should pls take note.
Her bank is still working on it.
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by Kirinwa: 4:42am On Aug 21, 2015
Okay
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by Teeboy22(m): 5:05am On Aug 21, 2015
this is serious oo
one just have to be careful MAY GOD HELP US ALL

Tunde Euro
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by Godmother(f): 6:31am On Aug 21, 2015
This is a sad experience OP and I hope your bank can have the situation rectified since they already know the receiving bank. You guys should get the EFFC involved so the thief doesn't get away with this and also do it to others.

Also, people should cultivate the habit of never carrying out a transaction online. If you get a call or receive an email advising youto do somthing just get to your bank for confirmation. I can't count the number of times I ave received emails informing me my First Bank account was going to be de-activated except I filled a for.

The first thing I do upon receiving those emails is trace the website and it always turns out not to be firstbank website. it would have firstbank name in it o, but wouldn't be the exact email firstbank uses.
Re: Bank Fraudster' New Style Of Defrauding Innocents! A Must Read! by charsobodo(m): 6:32pm On Feb 10, 2016
these thieves are getting more sophisticated hence, we must be much more careful to beat them at their game.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/profiles/charsobodo

(1) (Reply)

Any Thread To Help With The Current Exchage Rates Against The "ALMIGHTY NAIRA"? / Adenuga’s Mountain Of Debt: Several Firms Chase Billionaire For Unpaid Bills / Palm Kernel Nut Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.