Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! (989 Views)

Abia Polytechnic Lecturer Killed By Car Carrying Iron Gate (Graphic Pics) / 19-Year-Old Girl Who Lives In A Plastic Bowl Dies / Nigerian Man Honored In USA For Saving Kids' Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by bbeckky: 4:17pm On Aug 21, 2015
I stumbled on this while surfing the net and i was really amazed at this man's life and achievement(s) against any odds. He is one lucky man... Thank God Nigeria has a polio-free record for the past 2years, please let us keep the years counting. Polio is a bastard and more often than not, it causes permanent paralysis

Before going any further, let us understand what an “iron lung” is: it’s not so much a lung as a rigid case fitted over a patient’s body to assist him in breathing by pumping air into his lungs with the aid of mechanical pumps. The iron lung is perhaps most commonly associated with polio, often going hand-in-hand with it, as most polio patients spent a large chunk of their life confined within the iron lung.

Another fact about the iron lung: it is only rarely used today, so much so, that they have stopped making parts for iron lungs. In fact, only 10 people use the iron lung today; seven of them are in the United States. One of them is Paul Alexander.
Paul Alexander , This man uses iron lung to breathe

Alexander, who hails from Texas, is now almost 68. He was left completely paralyzed by polio at the age of six, owing to which his lungs stopped working; he has been largely dependent on and confined to his iron lung ever since. It has now been 62 years that Alexander has spent in the iron lung: he still remains completely paralysed, and is only able to move his head, neck, and mouth.

However, that is not the remarkable bit: Alexander taught himself voluntary breathing, which allowed him to escape the iron lung for a few hours at a time. Besides this, Alexander has three college degrees to his name, which allowed him to forge a successful career as a lawyer and set up a successful private law practice. The few hours that he can spend out of confinement are used whenever he may be litigating a case or giving a speech.

While Alexander condemns the machine he is confined to, he also gratefully admits that had it not been for the machine, he wouldn’t be alive today: ‘It is my cage, but it’s also my cocoon,’ says he.
[source: www.washingtontimes.com]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by Rapzino: 4:24pm On Aug 21, 2015
W
Re: Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by dayjee: 4:27pm On Aug 21, 2015
Wow this leaves me speechless lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by bbeckky: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2015
you can say that again
dayjee:
Wow this leaves me speechless lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 21, 2015
And am worried i don't have a car..........."I was crying i had no shoes, until i saw someone without legs"...Lord am grateful sad sad sad
Re: Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by bbeckky: 6:55pm On Aug 22, 2015
mcchaka:
And am worried i don't have a car..........."I was crying i had no shoes, until i saw someone without legs"...Lord am grateful sad sad sad
I'm telling you
Re: Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by UyiIredia(m): 8:57pm On Aug 22, 2015
Nna men ! The guy's a challenge to me. Despite living confined and paralyzed still got a law degree and operates a chamber.
Re: Meet The Man That Lives Within The Confines Of An Iron Lung! by bbeckky: 10:33am On Aug 24, 2015
UyiIredia:
Nna men ! The guy's a challenge to me. Despite living confined and paralyzed still got a law degree and operates a chamber.
It is indeed a great challenge to every1...

(1) (Reply)

Woman Accepts Islam Because A Muslim Man Refused Her Sex / Happy Birthday Jamean / A Nairalander Painting A House.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.