Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat (44738 Views)

Amala(yam Flour) Better For Diabetes Than Pounded Yam / Wheat Flour A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Fufu, Amala And Semovita / YOUR HEALTH: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by Faith111: 1:52pm On Mar 21, 2016
Op
1. Wheat contains a Protein called gluten which only poses hazard to those that are allergic to it. For instance my daughter did not feed on any corn related cereal through her infancy cos she was seriously allergic to it but She was very okay with wheat based cereal and had no allergy for gluten.

2. Contrary to what you said, Whole wheat does not have a High GI. It takes time to get broken down. The degree of processing just like must flour might affect its GI.
So whole Wheat grains are very healthy and contains enough fibre which aids digestion and bowel movement. And is very Ok for diabetic patients provided its labeled Whole Wheat or Whole Grain.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by Seun(m): 1:38pm On Sep 27, 2016
Only people with celiac disease should be worried about gluten. Gluten is also present in bread, pastries, noodles, spaghetti, etc.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by Onegai(f): 1:42pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seun:
Only people who have celiac disease should be worried about gluten. Gluten is also present in bread and all pastries so if you're avoiding gluten...

Gluten-free and Paleo diets are actually causing problems in the U.S. In their fear of Celiac disease, they've caused more complications. It's best to do everything in moderation

4 Likes

Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 18, 2017
I only came here through google because i thought i rediscovered whole wheat flour for making fufu. I ate this "delicious goodness" twice and when i was eventually forced to the toilet, i nearly shat out my intestines too and felt really empty and weak. Now I'm really scared.
Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by ifnyioj22(m): 3:15pm On Apr 18, 2017
What do you make of children consuming wheat a lot? E.g Friso wheat and goldenmor and the rest!or they different from the normal tuwo wheat?
Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 18, 2017
ifnyioj22:
What do you make of children consuming wheat a lot? E.g Friso wheat and goldenmor and the rest!or they different from the normal tuwo wheat?
I'm not an expert in this area but i think that it's ok for children's metabolism and other factors. Considering that for most bread, biscuits and instant cereal for kids the wheat contents are fortified with RDA of vitamins and minerals. Unless you're talking about you using unrefined and unfortified wheat flour to make children's food, in which case i would suggest daily multivitamin food supplements for them(in tablet or chewable sweets or drinking form) if you're sure they're not getting it at school.

About my earlier experience with whole-wheat fufu and toilet, i was also told that it's normal because it helps to clean the intestines. But i don't think I want to have that experience again.

Another thing, whole-wheat flour that's the topic of discussion here is probably the white or brown refined wheat flour that has been made near-worthless by the industrial blanching process. The one i ate was pure traditional medium chapati/atta whole wheat that's just finely ground grains without any chemical additives. But I have decided that cassava/plantain/yam/cocoyam/oat flour is better.

1 Like

Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by Uajoku: 10:27pm On Apr 27, 2017
You can't make an assessment of wheat based off of the incidence that one man has come to complain about, and then read of different studies that say Gluten is bad. Many studies will claim Gluten or wheat is bad, while many will claim it is ok. The important thing when bringing awareness or attention to something that may be of concern, especially something like this that may have a large effect on the thinking of a community about a certain food, it is important to give the facts first before studies to show.

Gluten is a combination of proteins (Giladin and Glutenin). Issues that some people may face with gluten = Celiac disease, gluten sensitivity, or an allergy to wheat or gluten.

I have actually studied human nutrition and physiology, so I am not pulling this out of thin air.

1. Celiac Disease - this is an autoimmune disease where the protein gluten triggers an autoimmune response where the white blood cells in our body that is supposed to be for protection, senses gluten and attacks the lining of the small intestine. When the lining of the small intestine is damaged, absorption of nutrients from food becomes difficult and these nutrients will pass through your intestine, causing diahrrea, abdominal discomfort, gas, depression...Not everyone has this autoimmune disease! But if you experience any of these symptoms when you consume wheat fufu, bread, or other products containing the gluten protein, check with your doctor to test for this autoimmune response when gluten is consumed.

2. Gluten sensitivity - The immune system sees gluten as a foreign substance, and attacks, causing symptoms with the body in general, like tiredness, attention deficit disorder, some digestion problems like celiac disease, joint pain, headache. (Celiac disease effects your digestion specifically, that is the difference here).

3. Wheat sensitivity - Even though wheat is made up of 75% of the gluten protein, there are other carbohydrates there that people may be sensitive to. These carbohydrates in wheat may cause inflammation and similar types of symptoms to the two issued explained above.

Now, with this knowledge, it is up to you to see if you can tolerate wheat and gluten. There are different ways you can check which type of issue you have if you develop a reaction from eating wheat fufu. Remember, wheat and gluten is in A LOT of other foods that you may eat besides the fufu and bread. It makes up 20% of our diet around the world. Our downfall sometimes is to read these posts or messages that we get on whatsapp meant to scare us and send us all to paranoia, but if you take the time to do your own research and see how things pertain to you, then you will be better off. Don't fall for all these scare tactics to make you give your money and time to those trying to take advantage of you. Be smart.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by Wilmtexx(m): 2:44pm On Nov 15, 2019
wink I have never used wheat since I learnt about the gluten rather i use guinea corn ,pearl millet ,finger millet mixed with unripe plantain as swallow for over 2 months now and I feel very great,am off garri

1 Like

Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by yinkeys(m): 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2021
@darkchocolate Please what can I use as substitute for swallow. I’m trying to cut out lots of carbohydrates from my diet to fight arthritis
Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by yinkeys(m): 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2021
Wilmtexx:
wink I have never used wheat since I learnt about the gluten rather i use guinea corn ,pearl millet ,finger millet mixed with unripe plantain as swallow for over 2 months now and I feel very great,am off garri
If only I can see a picture or link of how this is done. What’s the name.
Re: Wheat Flour Is A Dangerous Substitute For Garri, Amala And Pounded Yam. Dont Eat by segun50: 11:20am On Apr 07, 2021
In response to the topic
This article is totally misleading and does not believe in this. Yes, it is true that wheat flour has gluten but apart from those with celiac disease, the amount of gluten in wheat flour does not constitute a danger to healthy living. In fact, wheat flour is mostly recommended by doctors for healthy living because of the significant amount of fibers in it. Wheat flour is typically enriched with vitamins and minerals, including iron, folic acid, and other B vitamins, and whole wheat flour supplies fiber. You can't count on gluten-free flours to provide the same nutrient profile. Simply swapping regular bread, cakes, and other baked items for gluten-free products without any regard for calories can easily lead to weight gain. Doctors warn that gluten-free baked goods won't necessarily help you with weight control, and they may hinder weight control efforts. Although there's no shortage of refined carbohydrates in most commercial gluten-free baked goods, most are lower in fiber. When there's no gluten in a recipe, it takes far more gluten-free ingredients to produce a tasty product. Gluten-free or not, it always pays to be aware of your personal calorie budget for weight control. To condemn wheat flour and consider it dangerous to health is totally misleading - Richmond Adebiaye

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm About 3 Weeks Pregnant. How Do I Get Rid Of It? / Hard Drugs Affect Man Who Couldn't Get A Job In Delta / 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.