Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? (7276 Views)

Military Officer Kneels Down To Propose To His Fiancee At Shoprite (Video, Pics) / How Did You Propose To Your Wife? / I Want To Propose To My Fiancee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by cococandy(f): 10:37pm On Aug 21, 2015
donephi:

Are there men of such?
Well then there is more to it than just that.

Yea some people are particularly traditional.
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by cococandy(f): 10:39pm On Aug 21, 2015
freecocoa:
I think if he can be put off by such, then he is not the one. That's for women like myself anyways.
Probably for the best I guess.
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by donephi(m): 10:40pm On Aug 21, 2015
MizMyColi:

grin
Am sure you've not seen a man of your dream and u re so much into who does not see anything wrong in u placing a demand on him as regards ur confidence to let him knw the butterflies down there wink. He will rather cherish u more for bringing his attention to it.

This is a civilised generation where airing ur views as a lady is no longer over stepping your boundaries. What happens to "what a man can do, a woman can do better", "equality"?
My dear you are entitled to your opinion but you shouldn't see anything wrong with that cos is not wrong
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by freecocoa(f): 10:42pm On Aug 21, 2015
cococandy:

Probably for the best I guess.
Definitely for the best for me.smiley
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by cococandy(f): 10:44pm On Aug 21, 2015
if the woman ever does, then that's because she sees him as not MAN enough and wants to carry his load for him.

I beg to disagree with this @ mizmycoli.

If she didn't think him man enough, she wouldn't want to marry him.
In fact she thinks he's manly enough that she doesn't want to wait and watch him to slip away.

A lady who does that must be seeing something very manly in the man that she's wiling to defy centuries-old tradition to make him hers. And we all know how hard going against tradition can be.

I'd be flattered out of my boots if I was the dude grin

3 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by donephi(m): 10:46pm On Aug 21, 2015
cococandy:

Yea some people are particularly traditional.
Traditional?
And his traditional mentality is only on this?
How come he has gone past tradition as regards his mode of dressing, shelter but this?
NB;
Men who see this as tradition are very POSSESIVE. Your opinion nor feelings are not valid in his life, you are only there to ans and not question his orders.
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by cococandy(f): 10:54pm On Aug 21, 2015
donephi:

Traditional?
And his traditional mentality is only on this?
How come he has gone past tradition as regards his mode of dressing, shelter but this?
NB;
Men who see this as tradition are very POSSESIVE. Your opinion nor feelings are not valid in his life, you are only there to ans and not question his orders.

Things change one step at a time.
I wouldn't consider a man who holds onto such tradition of proposal as very possessive or inconsiderate about the lady's feelings. Why? Because it is still a very wide spread tradition in many parts of the world. You can't really call him a control freak for still holding onto traditions that happen around him everyday with few if any exceptions.

Where's he to get the idea that it's actually okay if he hasn't seen people do it without dying of emasculation?

But with time, as it happens with many things, it will become more common place and many of them will not find it odd or emasculating that the lady proposes.
Then you can judge him if you want grin

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by donephi(m): 11:06pm On Aug 21, 2015
cococandy:

Things change one step at a time.
I wouldn't consider a man who holds onto such tradition of proposal as very possessive or inconsiderate about the lady's feelings. Why? Because it is still a very wide spread tradition in many parts of the world. You can't really call him a control freak for still holding onto traditions that happen around him everyday with few if any exceptions.

Where's he to get the idea that it's actually okay if he hasn't seen people do it without dying of emasculation?

But with time, as it happens with many things, it will become more common place and many of them will not find it odd or emasculating that the lady proposes.
Then you can judge him if you want grin

This happens everyday if u must knw, it must not be verbally, ladies propose to guy by their actions this days, which is widely known by u and me.
Is not so conspicuous Becos it's not verbal but is very pronounced by actions.
Accept this change after all we are in the era of change. Change with it wink
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by cococandy(f): 11:11pm On Aug 21, 2015
donephi:

This happens everyday if u must knw, it must not be verbally, ladies propose to guy by their actions this days, which is widely known by u and me.
Is not so conspicuous Becos it's not verbal but is very pronounced by actions.
Accept this change after all we are in the era of change. Change with it wink

Accept change? Hello meet the president of the club. grin

I'm only asking that you don't judge those who aren't flowing as fast as others too harshly.
I know ladies propose subtly all the time. But Subtle proposal and the direct one aren't exactly the same. It will take some time to transition into that seamlessly.

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by donephi(m): 11:13pm On Aug 21, 2015
grin
cococandy:

Accept change? Hello meet the president of the club. grin

I'm only asking that you don't judge those who aren't flowing as fast as others too harshly.
I know ladies propose subtly all the time. But Subtle proposal and the direct one aren't exactly the same. It will take some time to transition into that seamlessly.
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by pickabeau1: 11:25pm On Aug 21, 2015
freecocoa:
Why does it remind you of me oga pick?grin

I think it resonates with a lot of what you say about women having a more direct input in relationship directions
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by freecocoa(f): 11:29pm On Aug 21, 2015
pickabeau1:

I think it resonates with a lot of what you say about women having a more direct input in relationship directions
Alright.
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by raumdeuter: 11:54pm On Aug 21, 2015
What a man can do A woman can do

I think all the professed modern women on Nairaland should be able to do this easily. buy ring get on one knee and propose.

Dont you think allowing men only to do this is another way of subjugating women and denying them their rights

2 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by tohpahz(f): 11:54pm On Aug 21, 2015
Hnmmmm..

Personally

I can propose to a guy.(subtly ) i don't hv to buy the ring and do a surprise waheva for it. It's just by dropping hints, and the guy had bera pick up on them. .. i see Nothing big in it..

But traditionally we are used to the fact that a guy must be the one to propose.

I agree partially with d part that said something abt the guy bin ready before he proposes.
Well it depends on ur understanding of the guy... he might not be bold enough so u gotta lead him on as the lady.
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by donephi(m): 12:11am On Aug 22, 2015
tohpahz:
Hnmmmm..

Personally

I can propose to a guy.(subtly ) i don't hv to buy the ring and do a surprise waheva for it. It's just by dropping hints, and the guy had bera pick up on them. .. i see Nothing big in it..

But traditionally we are used to the fact that a guy must be the one to propose.

I agree partially with d part that said something abt the guy bin ready before he proposes.
Well it depends on ur understanding of the guy... he might not be bold enough so u gotta lead him on as the lady.

Good you know and also adhere
#teamequality
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by UjSizzle(f): 7:41am On Aug 22, 2015
Nah. If a guy wants to get married, he's got to pop the question. If he's dragging there are subtle ways to get him moving. If he doesn't understand subtlety, there are more in-your-face options grin

I do know some men don't like women proposing to them, and I haven't seen who likes it around here.

Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by jaybee3(m): 7:52am On Aug 22, 2015
UjSizzle:
Nah. If a guy wants to get married, he's got to pop the question. If he's dragging there are subtle ways to get him moving. If he doesn't understand subtlety, there are more in-your-face options grin

I do know some men don't like women proposing to them, and I haven't seen who likes it around here.

I like it and it's my style

There you go, that's an invitation already!
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by edwife(f): 8:39am On Aug 22, 2015
freecocoa:
I don't see why not, women propose to men all the time, they just don't know itgrin, the fact that they don't usually go on bended knee to do it, doesn't mean they don't initiate it.

Before a lady even gets the proposal, it's usually already clear where the relationship is headed most times, so I don't see what difference it makes who proposes.

You didn't disappoint,you are among the few i believe whenever i read something from you,especially of this nature. grin
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by Kimoni: 8:51am On Aug 22, 2015
There's something weird about this post Pick. I seem to agree with everything that has been said even though it's full of contradictory opinions. So I seem to be everywhere and no where sad

Personally, will I propose to a man? - No way! I make several sacrifices as a woman, so I must also enjoy the perks that come with it cool

Will I frown at people who do it? Not really, But then like the guy said, it could be an indication of a bigger problem if a woman gets to that stage. Relationship is all about communication right? So both guys ideally should have communicated their goals and timelines to each other and if the timeline comes, it doesn't happen, and there is no feedback as to why undecided I will be more interested in knowing why rather than popping the question myself.

But then it could also mean the guy wants to take a backseat in the marriage but if the woman is ready to take up his traditional role, then she should take the floor already. There is every possibility that the same trend will continue in marriage, so she had better brace up for it and not resort to calling him names after.

@ raumdeuter - I agree totally with your post.
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by freecocoa(f): 10:05am On Aug 22, 2015
edwife:

You didn't disappoint,you are among the few i believe whenever i read something from you,especially of this nature. grin
Lol, I'm glad I can deliver.grin
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by crackhaus: 11:11am On Aug 22, 2015
As far as the Nigerian system of marriage is concerned, it isn't quite logical for the woman to propose - it could very work in other places where men are not required to make traditional gestures to the intending wife's family.

I mean, so after she proposes, what happens next?
Isn't it the man that still gets to spend hundreds of thousands (even millions buying tubers of yams and drinks that her ancestors don't need?

Let's be honest, the dynamics doesn't just work with the way we go about our marriages in Nigeria.
This does not mean that any woman who feels the need to propose shouldn't go for it, she just needs to understand that she backs her man into a tight corner by so-doing...then there's also the fact that women don't handle rejection as good as men do.

A NO from that man will send her into depression and shock faster than 5000volts of lightning will do - and God help that man if she's someone like Sambarry, she will even end up taking the man's hair to her babalawo to make sure he never gets married to anyone else.

4 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by Godpikin4: 11:15am On Aug 22, 2015
Trouble maker grin
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by pickabeau1: 12:10pm On Aug 22, 2015
Kimoni

I am just wondering why you think there are inconsistencies

We are equal
Man can propose
Women should too...

Crackhaus...superb post

the priest angle is funny

Na picture them go use do d jazz
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by crackhaus: 12:25pm On Aug 22, 2015
pickabeau1:
Kimoni

We are equal
Man can propose
Women should too...

Crackhaus...superb post

Yes o, plus picture sef.

A Nigerian woman proposes and you refuse...omo na to sleep with one eye open that night. gringrin
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by crackhaus: 12:26pm On Aug 22, 2015
Godpikin4:
Trouble maker grin
Reveal yourself grin
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by Godpikin4: 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2015
crackhaus:

Reveal yourself grin

Godpikin tongue
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:56pm On Aug 22, 2015
By proposing are we referring to starting a marriage discussion?

Cos I don't get how this will play out o. Will the girl walk up to the guys and ask "darl, you are all I dream of in a man will you marry me?" Kneels bent with ring in one hand. Hehehehe grin
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by Kimoni: 3:02pm On Aug 22, 2015
Tgirl4real:
By proposing are we referring to starting a marriage discussion?

Cos I don't get how this will play out o. Will the girl walk up to the guys and ask "darl, you are all I dream of in a man will you marry me?" Kneels bent with ring in one hand. Hehehehe grin

This is proposal naa cheesy
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by Kimoni: 3:03pm On Aug 22, 2015
pickabeau1:
Kimoni

We are equal
Man can propose
Women should too...

Crackhaus...superb post

Not inconsistencies...contrary opinions. Some for, some against
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by edwife(f): 4:45pm On Aug 22, 2015
crackhaus:
As far as the Nigerian system of marriage is concerned, it isn't quite logical for the woman to propose - it could very work in other places where men are not required to make traditional gestures to the intending wife's family.

I mean, so after she proposes, what happens next?
Isn't it the man that still gets to spend hundreds of thousands (even millions buying tubers of yams and drinks that her ancestors don't need?

Let's be honest, the dynamics doesn't just work with the way we go about our marriages in Nigeria.
This does not mean that any woman who feels the need to propose shouldn't go for it, she just needs to understand that she backs her man into a tight corner by so-doing...then there's also the fact that women don't handle rejection as good as men do.

A NO from that man will send her into depression and shock faster than 5000volts of lightning will do - and God help that man if she's someone like Sambarry, she will even end up taking the man's hair to her babalawo to make sure he never gets married to anyone else.

Today is her owambe day,waiting sha.... grin
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by pickabeau1: 4:57pm On Aug 22, 2015
crackhaus:

Yes o, plus picture sef.

A Nigerian woman proposes and you refuse...omo na to sleep with one eye open that night. gringrin

Na so lol
Kimoni:

Not inconsistencies...contrary opinions. Some for, some against

Ok
Re: Should A Woman Propose To A Man...thoughts? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 22, 2015
She should if she thinks she would lose the man or she thinks she's the best wife the man could ever get and she loves him so much she doesn't want him to miss a good thing. grin.

Meanwhile, she better have bought the engagement ring. Because you can't propose without an engagement ring, right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Wrong To Marry A Single Daddy? / An Open Letter To Moms From Kid President / Married Women Should Stop Allowing Their Husbands Go Out Unkempt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.