Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Finally Recruiters Are Learning. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Finally Recruiters Are Learning. (1177 Views)

Top 21 Jobs Recruiters Are Looking For In Nigeria 2017 / Upload Your CV Here. Recruiters And Job Seekers, Come In. / 5 Tiny Changes That Make Your Resume Easy For Recruiters To Skim!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by kaycodes: 6:43am On Aug 22, 2015
I have always maintained that rather than use degree to judge candidates, recruiters should involve technology more in their process.
Below is an excerpt you should read, very soon gone will be the days where you go to school get a 2.1, with no real skills to back it up.

Developing your self is the best assurance in a volatile job market.

Ernst and Young drops degree classification threshold for graduate recruitment
BY LINDA ONUEKWA ·

One of the UK’s biggest graduate recruiters is to remove degree classification from the entry criteria for its hiring programmes, having found “no evidence” that success at university was correlated with achievement in professional qualifications.

Accountancy firm Ernst and Young, known as EY, will no longer require students to have a 2:1 degree and the equivalent of three B grades at A level to be considered for its graduate programmes.

Instead, the company will use numerical tests and online “strength” assessments to assess the potential of applicants.

Maggie Stilwell, EY’s managing partner for talent, said the changes would “open up opportunities for talented individuals regardless of their background and provide greater access to the profession”.

Read more from the link below
Ernst and Young drops degree classification threshold for graduate recruitment

http://www.forelites.com/ernst-and-young-drops-degree-classification-threshold-for-graduate-recruitment

2 Likes

Re: Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by Akkord4gov: 6:46am On Aug 22, 2015
Ok
Good news for the OLODOS grin
Re: Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by kaycodes: 7:25am On Aug 22, 2015
Akkord4gov:
Ok
Good news for the OLODOS grin
And why you clutch your certificate, others are actually performing.... grin grin

If you have ever had to interview candidates for a role, you will know that 2.1 has lost its relevant as a recruitment criteria.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by Akkord4gov: 8:25am On Aug 22, 2015
kaycodes:

And why you clutch your certificate, others are actually performing.... grin grin

If you have ever had to interview candidates for a role, you will know that 2.1 has lost its relevant as a recruitment criteria.

So 2.2 and the third class candidates are now automatically the best grin.You are judging from a few angle without numerical research.Try ur conclusion on percentage.Gather 500 1stclass/2.1 graduates and 2.2/3rdclass graduates and interview them.Do that and give me the response

In Nig,whether u graduate with 1stclass or letter of attendance,u will always be in the same queue in the labour market but while firstclass graduates can boldly tell their children to work hard u will be ashamed cos your children if sharp would be like"but dad,u graduated with nothing".
grin
Re: Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 22, 2015
Yes, academic performance in school is not a guarantee of real world occupational performance. That does not neccessarily write if off as a degree somewhat to measure one's potential to the task at hand.

Let's face it, most of the lower grade students were either carried away, unable to learn fast enough or just plain lazy if not they'd've gained good degrees. Their attitude to academic work often gets carried on to real life work.

Exceptions're made only when child-rearing comes into play. Knowing you've children to take care of makes the difference between putting 100% into a profession or letting them starve form a non-challant attitude. Individuals with lower degrees learn after having children to sit up and put their all into the profession in a bid to ensure that cheque comes frequently at the end of the month and nothing threatens their job security.
Re: Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by kaycodes: 10:03pm On Aug 22, 2015
I beg to differ a bit. Truthfully, I don't advice people to play with their studies, but as someone who has been in operations, and staff management roles for a while, I have sometimes found it difficult to come to terms with the rationale behind 2.1 as a criteria.

For me, it doesn't really matter at what point you decide to sit up and become useful to yourself, the most important thing is you can get up and get things done when I need them done.

This write-up has nothing to do with being dull, rather it's more about putting round pegs in round holes. This will become a trend that will pick up with time.

I know guys who can write great code, but have never been in the four walls of a university talkless of getting great grades, and if you think programming is a joke, try build a website from scratch.

We have this stereotypical way of thinking as Nigerians that never really helps us. We don't seem to be able to change from what isn't working to trying new methods. The days of using degree class as criteria is fizzling out, in the future, expect to do personality tests, time based assesment and skills test. With the internet penetration level, it therefore means that technology can be involved more in screening candidates, which means that recruiters don't need to bother much about using class of degree to narrow down selection of candidates. They just need to open the pool to everyone, and test them wether 2.1 2.2 or 3rd class against the same criteria, and may the best man always win.

So for me it's simple really, don't feel entitled because you got great grades, if your only achievement 5yrs after leaving school is a 2.1 trust me, i'll pick a 3rd class who has put in effort in improving himself over the years any day.

On the job, ability is all that matters, and I will say with all confidence, it has absolutely nothing to do with grades.
Success is personal, at any time if you take your eyes off the goal you will miss it.
So because you missed it in school doesn't mean you should keep paying for it all your life.

I know guys who wrote Waec 3 times, but went to school to make a 2.1
So why shouldn't someone who got a 3rd class fight for the same opportunity with a 2.1

If you're good, you're good. It's got nothing to do with your class of degree, that's the whole point.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by nameo: 11:49am On Aug 28, 2015
Agreed
Re: Finally Recruiters Are Learning. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 28, 2015
kaycodes:
kaycodes are you a programmer? help a brother

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Please Pay Federal Workers November Salary... / What Is Linkedin And How Do I Use It Effectively / How Much Do Airline Pilots Earn Monthly In Nigeria And Also The Recquirements?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.