Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? (4353 Views)

The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship / The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 22, 2015
The legend was centered on the activities of one Bayajjida or Abu-Yazid. He was believed to be a prince from the kingdom of Baghdad in the Middle East. According to the story, he was a white skinned adventurer probably from Arab extraction. He was said to have developed a misunderstanding with his father the king of Baghdad and ran out of the kingdom with some of his loyalists due to that confusion. His movement took him to western Africa where he first took residence in Kanem Empire.
The Mai (king) of Kanem sheltered him and gave him his daughter Magira Daud to marry. The king separated him from his followers and this did not go down well with him. Having lost his followers, he became afraid of his life and fled westwards leaving his wife and the son of that union called Biram. On his way, he met a blacksmith and requested that a sword be made for him.
On his way he came to a town called Daura. The town as at that time was ruled by a woman queen called Dauranama. In Daura, he observed that the town was facing a major problem. The only well from where they got their water had a snake in it. The snake will not allow people to draw water form the well anytime it comes out. Bayajjida attacked and killed the snake. This act of bravery made the queen to marry him and made him to settle down in Daura. The union between Dauranama the queen and Bayajjida produced a son called Bawo.
Bawo was said to have gotten six sons who are believed to be the founders of six Hausa kingdoms. They were Kano, Rano, Katsina, Zaria (Zazzau), Gobir,and Daura. All these together with Biram the son of Bayajjida and the daughter of Mai of Kanem make up the Hausa Bakwoi States (the legitimate ones).
The queen as well was said to have made a concubine available for Bayajjida. The claim was that union of Bayajjida and the concubine produced sons namely Kebbi, Zamfara, Gwari, Jukun, Ilorin, Nupe and Yauna. These seven sons were according to the claim were the founders of another seven kingdoms. They are referred to as the Hausa Banza Bakwoi (illegitimate states).
Critical Analysis
The theorists of this claim believe that it can explain the origin of the Hausa but the legend has a whole lot of unresolved issues or make up.
1) This theory tends to explain to some level the foundation of some Hausa kingdoms. The theorists claim that it explains the origin of the Hausa is very wrong and unacceptable based on analysis.
2) The explanation about Daura and her queen created a picture of an already existing people with an organized political structured headed by a queen. For someone to claim that a visitor founded an already existing people may not be a very acceptable fact.
3) According to the tradition of the foundation of Gobir, Bawo was not mention as having played any role. The tradition did not explain the kinship or link towards Bawo or his father Bayajjida.

www.africablast.com/2013/05/the-legend-was-centered-on-activities.html?m=1

cc Lalasticlala fynestboi Philosopher Historian

Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 22, 2015
GST 111
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by scholes0(m): 9:51am On Aug 22, 2015
False of course
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by darfay: 10:52am On Aug 22, 2015
scholes0:
False of course
What exactly is your problem. This is false but the oduduwa trash is true. Smh
@fulaman,fulanimafia nd co hw come buhari is fulani man from daura if the same daura is regarded of one of the true hausa state
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by fulanimafia: 11:30am On Aug 22, 2015
darfay:

@fulaman,fulanimafia nd co hw come buhari is fulani man from daura if the same daura is regarded of one of the true hausa state

It's because of the Fulani conquests of Usmanu Danfodiyo, the founder of the Sokoto caliphate.
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by A7(m): 11:42am On Aug 22, 2015
Origin of Hausa? I say no, rather a fictitious tale, a very interesting one, but just a myth.
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 22, 2015
I think if you read the story you'd see the part that explicitly states that bayajidda met some people. I think the bayajidda story will be better suited to explain the origin of the language not the people, the language is afro asiatic afterall. But as to dp origin of the hausa people, that you cannot prove,I think the diversity of the hausa people proves that the hausas even the truest are not of the same ethnicity rather unified by the umbrella of language and culture.
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 22, 2015
ValhallaDrabek:
I think if you read the story you'd see the part that explicitly states that bayajidda met some people. I think the bayajidda story will be better suited to explain the origin of the language not the people, the language is afro asiatic afterall. But as to dp origin of the hausa people, that you cannot prove,I think the diversity of the hausa people proves that the hausas even the truest are not of the same ethnicity rather unified by the umbrella of language and culture.
So It's a fact to you? Not a myth..
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 22, 2015
Freemanan:

So It's a fact to you? Not a myth..

It's plausible concerning the theory of the origin of language, but that of him being the progenitor of the hausa people is very questionable.
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 22, 2015
ValhallaDrabek:

It's plausible concerning the theory of the origin of language, but that of him being the progenitor of the hausa people is very questionable.
I thought so too... And moreover, Iraq and West Africa aren't two places to tag along when Migrating...
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 22, 2015
Something that sometimes bothers me about these stories is this. They say the journey begins in the middle east. But how did they manage to cross the sahara desert in those days to get to west Africa? Or was there another route?

Cc freemanan
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
Something that sometimes bothers me about these stories is this. They say the journey begins in the middle east. But how did they manage to cross the sahara desert in those days to get to west Africa? Or was there another route?

Cc freemanan

If that is your cause of argument then you are utterly clueless. How did middle eastern scholars and traders make it to west Africa back then I ask?
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 22, 2015
ValhallaDrabek:

If that is your cause of argument then you are utterly clueless. How did middle eastern scholars and traders make it to west Africa back then I ask?
I'm utterly clueless. You're indeed very right.
I've never heard a chance to study them. Which is why I'm asking you guys. After all, we are all here to learn from each other. smiley
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:
I'm utterly clueless. You're indeed very right.
I've never heard a chance to study them. Which is why I'm asking you guys. After all, we are all here to learn from each other. smiley

I think a reliable route would be through north Africa and then proceed to west Africa. They cross the sahara like they cross desert in the Arabian peninsula. Camels are reliable means of transport.
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by macof(m): 10:37pm On Aug 22, 2015
1. coming from Baghdad
2. the illegitimate sons

these two are false cus there's no way a man can travel that distance in one lifetime...he didn't see any city to reside permanently? hard to believe

Nupe had a different history of their origin, Ilorin was founded by Yorubas

infact I doubt all the names listed there. ..they just appear cus at one time or another Hausa led by fulanis controlled those cities
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by macof(m): 10:39pm On Aug 22, 2015
darfay:

Oduduwa story is not false it has only been distorted by many ignorant folks
but there are still some who hold the true story
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by macof(m): 10:55pm On Aug 22, 2015
Teempakguy:

Cc freemanan
just like igbos love to claim israel

look muslims will love to claim arab origin
Christians and religious jews will love Jewish origin
Re: The Legend Of The Origin Of The Hausa: Truth Or False? by darfay: 11:25pm On Aug 22, 2015
macof:

Oduduwa story is not false it has only been distorted by many ignorant folks
but there are still some who hold the true story
Oduduwa met an already existing yoruba people in ife nd sent his son to rule over an already existing yoruba states.

(1) (Reply)

Divorce Procedure In Igbo Land And The Significance Of The Bride Price / A Stranger Buys You Food While You're Out On A Date With Another Man / Afemai Descendants Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.