Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,057 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa (8678 Views)

Breaking News : Biafran Agitators Granted Referendum By The US (VIDEO) / Break News: Biafran Agitators To Hit Guinness Book Of Record With This Video / Breaking News- Biafran Flags Now In Lagos (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by OfoIgbo: 7:54am On Aug 23, 2015
“Produits Fanmilk a vendre…des produits de Fanmilk a vendre. Nous acceptions Naira, Cedi, CFA, Dollars, et meme du Biafra Pound…Fanmilk products e dey for sale…fanmilk products e dey for sale….we dey accept am for Naira, Cedi, CFA, Dollar, and even Biafran Pound”, the dairy products’ vendor shouted to the hearing of everyone, in apparent attempt to get persons to patronize him. This was at Ilacondji, at the very frontiers of Benin-Togo. The vendor, a Togolese employee of the Fan Milk Company, a Nigerian international dairy firm, could speak some pidgin English and good French. He was obviously a well-travelled West African, who had probably worked in Nigeria and lived in Ghana. I needed to find out more about his Biafran Pound.

“Mon ami”, I politely called him, “avez-vous dit que vous acceptez Livre du Biafra”? (Did you say you accept Biafran currency here? “Oui”, he quipped, adding, “i lest legal ici au Togo et d’autres pays Francophones. Elle est belle et precieuse. Il est notre monnaie preferee” (It is a legal tender here in Togo and some other French-speaking countries in West Africa. It is beautiful. It is our favourite currency).

I probed further: “S’il vous plait, pius je le voir? Quelle est la valeur a Naira? (Please, let me see it. What’s its value compared to Naira?) The response dazed me: “It is currently N368 Naira to a Biafran Pound!!!” This was the most explosive part. N368 Naira to an illegal currency of a non-existent state? Who could be behind this mint and which Central Bank is regulating and standardizing it to the extent of giving it such a global value?

I took a snapshot of the money and handed it over to the Fanmilk vendor. I bought two products from him in Naira and looked around me to find out that a startled crowd was looking at me, JJC, who was just finding out for the first time that Biafran Pound was a major means of exchange in the Francophone frontiers in West Africa. The persons crossing the border like me were just wondering what drama I was putting up and soon took their eyes away from my spectacle the moment I bought my Yoghurt and allowed the poor vendor to be.

For me, it was a moment of rare discovery. I was lost in thought, perturbed, worried at the deeper implications of the seemingly interesting finding I just made. Who is behind the Biafran Pound? Which Central Bank is printing and regulating it? Why is it a legal tender outside Nigeria? Why are Francophone countries, our so-called good neighbours and co-members of ECOWAS the ones recognizing and accepting it as a means of transaction? How come it has so much value, even higher than the British Pound and other western currencies? Who and what is Biafra in the present-day Nigeria?

The journey to Aflao was characterised by mind puzzles. Could France, Nigeria’s biggest threat in West Africa be behind this pantomime? Could the Togolese government and its counterparts in Ivory Coast and other Francophone countries be boldly supporting the re-emergence of Biafra in order to break Nigeria? 

My discovery at Aflao was more worrisome. Ghana,  also recognizes and accepts the use of the Biafran Pound as a means of exchange! However, most Ghanaians and Nigerians of Igbo origin, I learnt, use the currency discretely. They are not as brazen about it as the Togolese, Beninoise and Ivorians. But the Biafran Pound is the most popular currency in Ghana. My take on the Ghana episode is that the “friendly” government of that country cannot not say it does not have any security report about a Biafran Pound-business that is said to be as old in Ghana (Aflao in particular) as immediately after the Civil War.

On return to Nigeria, I approached some senior Igbo colleagues in the academia, narrating my encounters and expressed my worries. Concerned but not new to them, they explained that it had been an old development, which has however gained momentum in more recent times. I was made to realize that the Igbos have not yet given up on “Biafra” and that there are grand plans to “regain” their independence. I gathered that the Pound had been a collectors’ item, which, ipso facto, would give it a lot of value, but explained that the tenability of the currency along the West African coastline is the machination of some powerful and unrepentant “Biafran leaders”, whose international goodwill and connections have pervaded West Africa and beyond.

http://ikoloreports..co.uk/2015/08/biafran-pound-as-legal-tender-in-west.html?m=1

Interesting....... I just hope Nigeria is restructured soon

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by zuchyblink(m): 8:09am On Aug 23, 2015
Biafran pound is our national identity

9 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by OfoIgbo: 8:10am On Aug 23, 2015
Things are beginning to get out of hand and I fear that the Nigerian authorities do not seem to be acting with haste to give everyone a sense of belonging such that the need for secession becomes unnecessary

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by OfoIgbo: 8:10am On Aug 23, 2015
Things are beginning to get out of hand and I fear that the Nigerian authorities do not seem to be acting with haste to give everyone a sense of belonging such that the need for secession becomes unnecessary sad

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by EasternLion: 8:12am On Aug 23, 2015
OfoIgbo:
Things are beginning to get out of hand and I fear that the Nigerian authorities do not seem to be acting with haste to give everyone a sense of belonging such that the need for secession becomes unnecessary sad

What is your problem, why did you have to recycle old news to ur ?
Kai sad

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by OfoIgbo: 8:14am On Aug 23, 2015
EasternLion:

Kai sad

Has that article appeared on nairaland before?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 23, 2015
I have been aware of that since early 2000s but I thought of late the currency was no longer in use.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by DaBullIT(m): 8:20am On Aug 23, 2015
hahahahahahahahahaha

hehehehehehehe

huhuhuhuhuhuhuh

And some people will swallow this hook line and sinker and still come back to say they are Israelite, Jews and the wisest in the world [size=14pt] LWKMD [/size]

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by OfoIgbo: 8:26am On Aug 23, 2015
Nigeria36:
I have been aware of that since early 2000s but I thought of late the currency was no longer in use.

Same here. I've been aware of the Biafran currency since the early 2000s spearheaded by MASSOB and accepted as legal tender is some cities of the southeast, but I received this article today on my email inbox which leads me to believe that this is a new development, and may be or may be not championed by MASSOB, with standardized exchange rate between it and naira
Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by 4stylz: 8:28am On Aug 23, 2015
EasternLion:

Kai sad

IGbos will not get biafra in the manner which it's going; just few eastern states?? Or you think calabar, rivers, bayelsa and Niger deltans will join you guys in your personal struggle /interests.

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by DaBullIT(m): 8:30am On Aug 23, 2015

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by cheruv: 8:54am On Aug 23, 2015
EasternLion:

Kai sad
Though it has appeared before, it think this is a new development. I know for sure that the Biafran livre/lira/pound is still legal tender in some francophones and for the exchange rate to be variable means its very much in use.
The last article about it said the exchange was about NGN800 to a livre..now its about NGN368 to a livre.
In Afrika excluding the northern parts of it,majority of Nigerians living in other parts of Afrika are Igbos.
And like the vendor said..its beautiful and simple to the eye,which makes it preferable to the naira undecided

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by cheruv: 8:59am On Aug 23, 2015
OfoIgbo:

Has that article appeared on nairaland before?
Are you not that Nri guy
Pls I'd love to know everything you know about Nri and its relationship with the surrounding ethnicities like Bini, Igala and of course Igbo.
Add me up with my pin

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by yorubatic: 9:39am On Aug 23, 2015
Everybody should support biafrans to have their biafra, so we can have peace in Nigeria. Their pounds have been trading in the francophone countries. ..I support odua republic

6 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by betty202020(m): 9:42am On Aug 23, 2015
DaBullIT:
hahahahahahahahahaha

hehehehehehehe

huhuhuhuhuhuhuh

And some people will swallow this hook line and sinker and still come back to say they are Israelite, Jews and the wisest in the world [size=14pt] LWKMD [/size]
simple Google search would have could have saved u from unnecessary arguement. meanwhile ur view of igbos are as goog as nothing cos u are not a determinant of biafra course.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by luckylucky: 9:52am On Aug 23, 2015
Igbo may suffer regret if they decide to take this wrong decision, they should not forget that the theory of citizenship will definitely apply to their point of entry when coming to Lagos. Those emeka and Ngozi that are forming lagosian should be preparing for nigeria visa. Arrant nonsense!

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by DaBullIT(m): 10:00am On Aug 23, 2015
betty202020:
simple Google search would have could have saved u from unnecessary arguement. meanwhile ur view of igbos are as goog as nothing cos u are not a determinant of biafra course.

It haf pepper you abi ? I didn't say anything now , but now that you have touched the devil's breast , let me enlighten you

You did not search google yourself did you ? If you did , you would realize that Biafra pound is not a legal tender

For money to be a legal tender , the country must exist

According to history , Biafra was recognized by Gabon, Haiti, Côte d'Ivoire, Tanzania , not any developed nation even if they gave support codedly

Now , what determines exchange rate / value of a currency , Simple answer is demand and supply , Trades and exports , what the country is offering the world e.t.c.e.t.c , So realistically speaking , Biafran Pound is a piece of paper , it has no value , Reasons are simple

There's no Biafra, There's no economy , There's no export or import

The only reason why anyone may want to buy Biafran pound is if the person is a collector , and when he buys it , he will just laminate it

Unfortunately there's so much if that useless paper in circulation, no collector will pay top dollar to buy any biafran pound

SO THE STORY IS FAKE , BUT THE GULLIBLE ONES WILL FALL FOR THIS PROPAGANDA , THE SAME METHOD OJUKWU EMPLOYED AND FAILED

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by onenaira3: 10:05am On Aug 23, 2015
Where can I get Biafra notes? That's one money I'll br proud to hold onto
Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:15am On Aug 23, 2015
luckylucky:
Igbo may suffer regret if they decide to take this wrong decision, they should not forget that the theory of citizenship will definitely apply to their point of entry when coming to Lagos. Those emeka and Ngozi that are forming lagosian should be preparing for nigeria visa. Arrant nonsense!
hehehehehehehe...yeye.

Nothing like dt on google bro.

How will something be a legal tender when it is useless and not even on any part of the world's currency?

Lol...which bank wan collect waste?

grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by Dottore: 10:16am On Aug 23, 2015
Ya kpotuwa

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:17am On Aug 23, 2015
onenaira3:
Where can I get Biafra notes? That's one money I'll br proud to hold onto
dude, u sabi use corel draw?

Just draw anything, slap the name, put any denomination, call it Biafra pound or dollar. Whatever!

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by StOla: 10:20am On Aug 23, 2015
Take it to the bank and reveal your stupid.ity.
Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by StOla: 10:20am On Aug 23, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
dude, u sabi use corel draw?

Just draw anything, slap the name, put any denomination, call it Biafra pound or dollar. Whatever!

Exactly!

I'll ask my little niece to mint me 10Billion of Biafran pounds using her crayon.
Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:33am On Aug 23, 2015
DaBullIT:
hahahahahahahahahaha

hehehehehehehe

huhuhuhuhuhuhuh

LOL, the day they burn all the Naira with them for their Biafra currency is when they'll be taken seriously
- LOL; Igbo and money! that's the day many would commit suicide.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by Missy89(f): 10:35am On Aug 23, 2015
Breaking News: My Shite is now legal in my toilet cool

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by yorubatic: 10:36am On Aug 23, 2015
luckylucky:
Won't you be happy they apply for visa, just we apply for visa while going to Benin republic and ghana ..
Are you against odua republic? Are you a coward?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 23, 2015
Seriously?
Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by Armaggedon: 11:00am On Aug 23, 2015
luckylucky:
do you think lagos belongs to yoloba.
Awori pple will not follow yoloba in odua republic.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by cheruv: 11:12am On Aug 23, 2015
Armaggedon:
do you think lagos belongs to yoloba.
Awori pple will not follow yoloba in odua republic.
That's what I keep telling them...awori,ogu and ijebu are not yoloba. though they'd keep deluding themselves that those coastals are part of the Ofei' national fabrik! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by ArodewilliamsT: 11:30am On Aug 23, 2015
DaBullIT:

[s]It haf pepper you abi ? I didn't say anything now , but now that you have touched the devil's breast , let me enlighten you

You did not search google yourself did you ? If you did , you would realize that Biafra pound is not a legal tender

For money to be a legal tender , the country must exist

According to history , Biafra was recognized by Gabon, Haiti, Côte d'Ivoire, Tanzania , not any developed nation even if they gave support codedly

Now , what determines exchange rate / value of a currency , Simple answer is demand and supply , Trades and exports , what the country is offering the world e.t.c.e.t.c , So realistically speaking , Biafran Pound is a piece of paper , it has no value , Reasons are simple

There's no Biafra, There's no economy , There's no export or import

The only reason why anyone may want to buy Biafran pound is if the person is a collector , and when he buys it , he will just laminate it

Unfortunately there's so much if that useless paper in circulation, no collector will pay top dollar to buy any biafran pound

SO THE STORY IS FAKE , BUT THE GULLIBLE ONES WILL FALL FOR THIS PROPAGANDA , THE SAME METHOD OJUKWU EMPLOYED AND FAILED
[/s]

e dey this guy, sotey him wan cry. BIAFRAN POUND( which sell at N365) IS CURRENTLY IN USE IN WEST AFRICA AND YOU KNOW IT. THE OP STORYY WAS WRITTEN BY SHERIFF FOLARIN ON NATIONAL MIRROR NEWSPAPER( A YORUBA NEWSPAPER) SO WHERE IS THE PROPAGANDA?.
BURY YOURSELF IF YOU ARE ANGRY
grin grin grin

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/biafran-pound-as-a-legal-tender-in-west-africa/

SLIDEWAXIE YOU CAN JOIN HIM IN HIS GRAVE. grin grin grin grin

IN THIS BELOW AMERICAN WEBSITE, A COLLECTOR SELLS A BIAFRAN POUND FOR 14 US DOLLAR >>>>> https://www.katespapermoney.co.uk/category.asp?ID=46

HATERS ARE ALLOWED TO SWALLOW CYANIDE grin

1 Like

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by ArodewilliamsT: 11:44am On Aug 23, 2015
HAHAHA! HATERS WANT TO DIE. IS SHERIFF FOLARIN AN IGBO MAN?

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING NEWS!!!! Biafran Pound As A Legal Tender In West Africa by DaBullIT(m): 1:03pm On Aug 23, 2015
Very Stewpyd , Sheriff Afolarin may have written the piece, he may also have copied it from somewhere . if you fail to see that , then that's your problem, also the piece in the link is the same as the one on nairaland, besides , i maintain my stance that Biafran Pound is not a legal tender and it is not recognized anywhere

and for your pride about Biafra pounds being sold at 14$ a bunch , you no try at all he he he he

ArodewilliamsT:

e dey this guy, sotey him wan cry. BIAFRAN POUND( which sell at N365) IS CURRENTLY IN USE IN WEST AFRICA AND YOU KNOW IT. THE OP STORYY WAS WRITTEN BY SHERIFF FOLARIN ON NATIONAL MIRROR NEWSPAPER( A YORUBA NEWSPAPER) SO WHERE IS THE PROPAGANDA?.
BURY YOURSELF IF YOU ARE ANGRY
grin grin grin

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/biafran-pound-as-a-legal-tender-in-west-africa/

SLIDEWAXIE YOU CAN JOIN HIM IN HIS GRAVE. grin grin grin grin

IN THIS BELOW AMERICAN WEBSITE, A COLLECTOR SELLS A BIAFRAN POUND FOR 14 US DOLLAR >>>>> https://www.katespapermoney.co.uk/category.asp?ID=46

HATERS ARE ALLOWED TO SWALLOW CYANIDE LIKE grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

2017 Budget: Senate Receives Report, Fixes Thurday For Passage / N400m Fraud: Metuh Writes DSS To Allow Dasuki To Testify As Witness / PDP Inaugurates New Ebonyi State EXCO, constitute SE Zonal Caretaker Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.