Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Mating - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Mating (6123 Views)

Male German Shepherd For Mating(stud Services). / Mating In Progress... Golliath N Lucy 4rm Iroyal Kennel / Urgent!!!...Female bleeds after mating....Is it normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mating by Richybang: 1:49pm On Aug 23, 2015
Although it may seem like dogs can turn up pregnant in the blink of an eye, it's actually a fairly complicated process. Just ask any breeder who has repeatedly tried and failed to produce a litter from her champion bitch; sometimes things just don't go according to plan. Successful dog breeding is all about the timing, so take a closer look at the biological issues behind the process.
Heat Cycle Indicates When to Breed
Estrus
Simply put, estrus is a bitch's fertile time, generally referred to as a heat cycle or "season". The first heat cycle typically takes place between six and nine months old, but breeds that mature more slowly may not experience a first heat until twelve to eighteen months of age.
Cycle Length
A normal heat cycle lasts approximately three weeks. In the beginning stages, known as proestrus, a bitch's vulva begins to swell, and you may notice her licking herself more than usual. Male dogs will also begin sniffing her more as her hormones begin to produce a scent that signals she is becoming ready to breed.
Stages of Heat
*.Week One- Once the vulva begins to swell, the bitch will begin to produce a bloody discharge. The amount will vary from one bitch to the next, so it may or may not be noticeable.
*.Week Two- Sometime around nine to twelve days, the colour of the discharge lightens to a pinkish-tan colour, and it's usually around this time, referred to as estrus, that the vulva softens and eggs are released from the ovaries. At this point, you may notice your bitch flirting with other dogs; this is a sign she is ready to accept a male's advances.
*.Week Three- If the heat cycle is allowed to continue uninterrupted, by the third week, the discharge begins to look bloody again. The amount will trail off until the cycle has concluded with anestrus.
Yearly, Bi-Yearly or Quarterly Cycles
On average, a healthy bitch comes into season every six months. However, this can vary, and some bitches only cycle once a year while others come into season on a quarterly basis. Quite often, bitches that come in quarterly are not fertile every season.
Signs That It'sTime to Breed
Look for these signals that your bitch is ready to be bred:
*.General flirty/affectionate behavior
*.Tail held high and flagging
*.Pushing up rear when petted on the back
*.Willingness to stand and present vulva
*.Color change in discharge from red to pinkish-tan
The Mating
Breeding usually takes place naturally without any human intervention beyond introducing the dam to the stud. However a little direction may be required if one or both of the dogs involved have never been bred before. Typically, the male dog will become very excited when introduced to a receptive bitch, sniffing and licking at her vulva. Very quickly he will mount her from behind and begin to thrust. When all goes as nature has designed, he will penetrate the bitch's vulva; this causes two glands directly behind the penis to swell considerably.
In response, the bitch's vulva will clamp around this swelling; this is referred to as a tie, and it's the moment when the dog and bitch become "stuck" together. This period typically lasts from fifteen to thirty minutes, and it is at this point that sperm are being delivered to waiting eggs.
If the breeding has been successful and the bitch conceives, she will deliverher pups between 58 and 63 days later. You can easily find your dog's due date by consulting a canine pregnancy calendar.
Time Will Tell
Once a breeding has been completed, it will take some time to find out if it was a success. You'll be able to tell if a litter is on the way a lot sooner if you learn to spot the signs of pregnancy.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mating by tobolos(m): 3:21pm On Aug 23, 2015
Nice one OP!
You really did a good job by breaking it into pieces.
Just Last week while I was playing with my ladies after a long trip, I noticed 2 drops of blood from one of them.I started by checking their bodies to confirm the particular one on heat.only for me to discover that the blood was from the head injury one of them sustained during rough play.
Weldone bro
Re: Mating by casyrotts(m): 6:42pm On Aug 23, 2015
Nice write up bro
Re: Mating by emeka2847: 7:17pm On Aug 23, 2015
Thanks OP for the enlightenment. Kindly clarify if only one encounter is enough. Or do they stay together for days for multiple copulation? I just wonder if multiple copulation would increase likelihood of success. Pls clarify.

Thanks a lot.

Richybang:

............. This period typically lasts from fifteen to thirty minutes, and it is at this point that sperm are being delivered to waiting eggs.
If the breeding has been successful and the bitch conceives.........
Re: Mating by Richybang: 9:13am On Aug 24, 2015
emeka2847:
Thanks OP for the enlightenment. Kindly clarify if only one encounter is enough. Or do they stay together for days for multiple copulation? I just wonder if multiple copulation would increase likelihood of success. Pls clarify.

Thanks a lot.

they don't need to stay together for days just one encounter is ok what you need is to know the right time to mate her 9 to 12 days of her in heat is ok to mate her
Re: Mating by knyte(m): 2:48pm On Aug 24, 2015
Now this is enlightening
Re: Mating by darmilolah(m): 6:56am On Aug 25, 2015
At what month can one start to use Lhasa male to cross
Re: Mating by Richybang: 8:15am On Aug 25, 2015
darmilolah:
At what month can one start to use Lhasa male to cross
a male dog can start mating at 6month don't let the male dog mate any female dog until he is a year or more by that time he will be matured same thing goes to the female
Re: Mating by Richybang: 8:21am On Aug 25, 2015
a male dog can start mating at 6month don't let the male dog mate any female dog until he is a year or more by that time he will be matured same thing goes to the female
Re: Mating by darmilolah(m): 7:07pm On Aug 25, 2015
Richybang:

Thanks
Re: Mating by pajabs(m): 9:59am On Aug 29, 2015
pls op, my female caucasian dog is 20 months old is still hasnt come on heat . What can i do?
Tnx a million. Wil do just dat. U r d bamm grin
Re: Mating by Richybang: 4:15pm On Aug 29, 2015
pajabs:
pls op, my female caucasian dog is 20 months old is still hasnt come on heat . What can i do?
bro not all breed goes into heat on time mostly large breed like (co,gsd,rott,and so on go to any good vet you know ask them for PG600 its has been used many times to bring bitches into heat. Made for swine, but used on canines with success. It is given by injection IM and the bitch should come in within a week. The injection burns like nothing else. Have your bitch muzzled and someone to hold her while another gives the injection. The injection site will be very sore for the following few days, but other than that it is safe. Or if your friend dog is in heat keep yours with it one female dog in heat can make 500 female dogs to go in heat that's to my best of knowledge I hope I have answered your question

1 Like

Re: Mating by pajabs(m): 10:50pm On Aug 29, 2015
Tnx a Million bro!! Will do just that. grin
Re: Mating by Richybang: 8:38am On Aug 30, 2015
You are welcome
Re: Mating by Richybang: 8:38am On Aug 30, 2015
You are welcome
Re: Mating by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
It's either lalasticlala hates dogs or seun got bitten by his dog that's why threads from pet section stopped hitting FP. grin
Re: Mating by Ayjay9: 3:05am On May 11, 2018
Thank you so much for this useful information . My question is,how do i get my dog to mate, it is his first time, its caucasian and he tries to but doesn't put it in the right place. How am i to give the little direction needed. She has mated before but not with him.
Thanks in anticipation of your reply.
Re: Mating by Dafman25(m): 11:27am On Jun 03, 2018
I have searched for pg.600 no one seems to have it anywhere?
Re: Mating by jayned: 1:09pm On Jun 03, 2018
Ayjay9:
Thank you so much for this useful information . My question is,how do i get my dog to mate, it is his first time, its caucasian and he tries to but doesn't put it in the right place. How am i to give the little direction needed. She has mated before but not with him.
Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

Well, the owner of the bitch will have to hold her in place preferably with her mouth guarded. while u sit and ... I hope this picture explains the positions.

Re: Mating by vinotinto5: 6:10pm On Jun 03, 2018
For High quality, exotic dogs of all kinds, kindly call Dr. Gold Obiejesi, the CEO of Vingold Veterinary Consult & Farms Limited (RC NO.1307444) (Location is Abuja, but delivery can be made nationwide) on 09099568813. Or Head of breeding department (Vincent Obiejesi) on 09098383299.

We offer 1st class breeding and animal health (veterinary) services of global best practices.

We also process the exportation and importation of your animals (pets).

Company's Motto: Great integrity maintenance & more good times to clients.

See you there.

(1) (Reply)

Puppies born 11-12-14 (PDG princess x DLJ warrior) / Cool Breeds Of Dogs Forsale / My boy Marshall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.