Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,981 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS (31909 Views)

Dangote Features On Nasdaq Tower, New York / Kebbi To Export 2,000 Goats Daily To Saudi Arabia / DSS Raids Bureau De Change Operators In Abuja & Lagos, Forces Dollar Down To 400 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by ocloud81(m): 6:06am On Aug 24, 2015
All telecom providers should go to hell. Why are they complaining? Have they forgotten years back how they sold a SIM at exorbitant rate as high as 70k, 50k and 30k. Then Nigerians were blind flooded and they were making mush money. Now that we are wise that a SIM now cost 100# and they have lots of competitors, they are complaining. Is this another way to bamboozled us again? Pls telecom companies should just do their business and ignore sympathy because we know how mush you spend and how mush you make.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Bobbyjay001(m): 6:16am On Aug 24, 2015
Afrocatalyst:
Really? That's quite a huge amount if you calculate it in a year.
Why not make a one time investment into the power sector with that and ensure there is constant electricity. That will pay them more in the long run.

Might not be a wise thing to say. Just thinking outside the box. Heard it will cost us about 30billuon dollars to provide electricity to Nigerians. I see opportunity tho.
bros,well said. But this isn't possible in Nigeria at this era of ours. Some power drunk bizman who supply diesel to this companies and the country at large will not make this see the light of the day because of their own selfish interest. Femi Otedola (Zenon oil) has hand in the country's eractic power supply.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by obyrich(m): 6:22am On Aug 24, 2015
jnrbayano:
That's why we are there to offer top notch power solutions to these BTS and backbone telecom sites to effectively increase uptime and reduce deisel consumption drastically.

Our engineers are well trained to perform retrofit and power swapout without any downtime.

You are just a call away.
Sorry to derail. Is your company recruiting staff to be deployed to Aba?
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by jnrbayano(m): 6:25am On Aug 24, 2015
obyrich:

Sorry to derail. Is your company recruiting staff to be deployed to Aba?

At the moment, I doubt it.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Alal(m): 6:29am On Aug 24, 2015
Thanks, but what happens now that the power is becoming stable
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by obyrich(m): 6:32am On Aug 24, 2015
jnrbayano:

At the moment, I doubt it.
Thanks so much.
Someone called me few days ago asking me to help him recruit 10 maintenance engineers for a new contract with I.H.S ( They just acquired MTN infrastructures). He claimed he was from your company. I've been doubting the authenticity of his claim. Thanks once again.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by weijing3333: 6:34am On Aug 24, 2015
Solar power is a good choice.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 24, 2015
ugoezeik:
u really sound like ceo of one of dem

I wish....life would be so much better. I won't be managing in one one bedroom flat....and driving jalopy. grin
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Nobody: 6:45am On Aug 24, 2015
They are jokers! Why can't they install solar units? After all their are 15KVA inverters. With 5-7million they can power one single bases for 5years without buying fuel.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by jnrbayano(m): 6:47am On Aug 24, 2015
obyrich:
Thanks so much.
Someone called me few days ago asking me to help him recruit 10 maintenance engineers for a new contract with I.H.S ( They just acquired MTN infrastructures). He claimed he was from your company. I've been doubting the authenticity of his claim. Thanks once again.

Welcome
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by femiranking28(m): 6:52am On Aug 24, 2015
When they would be paying whisked and Co. Huge amount of money just to be ambassador pay me 50k I would do a good job
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 24, 2015
Consultville:
Telecommunications tower operators spend some N175 million every day on diesel which is used to power generators at their towers housing base transceiver stations (BTS) that make it possible for Nigerians to use GSM service to make and receive calls.

Telecom towers house base stations that Global System for Mobile communications (GSM), Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and 4G internet service providers use to deliver services to their customers.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek investigations revealed that a co-located tower which houses 3 to 5 base stations use 20KVA generator to supply power while a tower that houses a single base station uses 15KVA generator. More so, each generator consumes 50 litres of diesel per day especially in recent years when public power system is highly erratic.

Nigeria Communications Week gathered that presently, towers run on generator in an average of 20 hours a day. This means that 25,000 of towers in the country that use generators consume some 1.25million litres of diesel a day.

It was learnt that this quantity of diesel consume by generators at different towers cost tower operators about N175million at diesel pump price of N140 per litre.

The Guardian

http://nairametrics.com/see-how-much-telecom-tower-operators-spend-daily-to-power-bts/

We have filling stations and we run a gen evryday, thats 40 litres tops everyday, while I agree that its on the high side, you have to bare in mind that these guys charge the highest for services 70 percent of which arent rendered at all, they enjoy near monopoly status in the country
evade taxes, and engage in capital flight as all their profits are shipped to their home countries abroad, the only thing we get from them are the paltry wages and occasional handouts no thing more, theres no development , no tech transfer, imagine even things like bottled water are imported from sa, so our local content is excluded from their business.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Dottore: 7:20am On Aug 24, 2015
bushdoc9919:

And they have to pay staff, pay insurance,maintain the towers, replace the generators when they get stolen or break down permanently, do upgrades so that you can watch whizkid on your tablet, expand the network so that you can talk with your great grandmamma in your village, spend money on scholarships and training programmes, sponsor competitions,replace old and worn-out machinery, train staff abroad so that they can maintain your equipment, pay adhoc staff....eg those who dig tunnels for the wires,and pay compensation and buy land where they can erect towers.Oh...and they have to pay their expat staff very well....because do you expect someone to come from UK to live in Ajegunle or Nyanya...with all the problems. And they have to pay for security too...for staff and some vital equipment.

You Nigerians should stop demanding awoof. If you want empty hen, glow, and hair tell to be taken over by government, fine. Just don't complain when services start going bad because no money.

Even at that they still make a hell lot of money. If they make times ten of what they spend it is still a wonderful investment. Were you expecting them to rip off all Nigerians more than they are already doimg before you know they are hitting it big. Did they not know about these expenditures before they ventured into the biz. If the business isn't viable they would have long quitted. No oyibo company ever does anything without commensurate proceeds.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by ooshinibos: 7:40am On Aug 24, 2015
Consultville:
Telecommunications tower operators spend some N175 million every day on diesel which is used to power generators at their towers housing base transceiver stations (BTS) that make it possible for Nigerians to use GSM service to make and receive calls.

Telecom towers house base stations that Global System for Mobile communications (GSM), Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and 4G internet service providers use to deliver services to their customers.

Nigeria CommunicationsWeek investigations revealed that a co-located tower which houses 3 to 5 base stations use 20KVA generator to supply power while a tower that houses a single base station uses 15KVA generator. More so, each generator consumes 50 litres of diesel per day especially in recent years when public power system is highly erratic.

Nigeria Communications Week gathered that presently, towers run on generator in an average of 20 hours a day. This means that 25,000 of towers in the country that use generators consume some 1.25million litres of diesel a day.

It was learnt that this quantity of diesel consume by generators at different towers cost tower operators about N175million at diesel pump price of N140 per litre.

The Guardian

http://nairametrics.com/see-how-much-telecom-tower-operators-spend-daily-to-power-bts/

please tell your people to go and get solar panel installed to generate electricity , its cheaper and cleaner ..and common sense
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by ooshinibos: 7:43am On Aug 24, 2015
jcmaiah:
They are jokers! Why can't they install solar units? After all their are 15KVA inverters. With 5-7million they can power one single bases for 5years without buying fuel.
exactly , that's what I just told them , solar panels is the best way , it is getting cheaper and cleaner, I recently installed 14 panels for my house , cost me about 2.5 million , 3 years ago , it was 6 millions
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by tonimenia: 7:45am On Aug 24, 2015
This is not a small o!
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by dayodare49o: 9:20am On Aug 24, 2015
jaybee104:
ok
story for the satans they didn't know nigeria does not have power before they invested here.

Let them close their business and start farming
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Tunagee(m): 9:43am On Aug 24, 2015
Consultville:

The Guardian

who cares. give me good network is what i'm interested in
rested
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by jaybee104(m): 10:07am On Aug 24, 2015
dayodare49o:
story for the satans they didn't know nigeria does not have power before they invested here.

Let them close their business and start farming
lolz. true talk my bro. only God knows how much dey earn daily.. cos business without gain is not business, its charity
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by owobokiri(m): 10:11am On Aug 24, 2015
bushdoc9919:

And they have to pay staff, pay insurance,maintain the towers, replace the generators when they get stolen or break down permanently, do upgrades so that you can watch whizkid on your tablet, expand the network so that you can talk with your great grandmamma in your village, spend money on scholarships and training programmes, sponsor competitions,replace old and worn-out machinery, train staff abroad so that they can maintain your equipment, pay adhoc staff....eg those who dig tunnels for the wires,and pay compensation and buy land where they can erect towers.Oh...and they have to pay their expat staff very well....because do you expect someone to come from UK to live in Ajegunle or Nyanya...with all the problems. And they have to pay for security too...for staff and some vital equipment.

You Nigerians should stop demanding awoof. If you want empty hen, glow, and hair tell to be taken over by government, fine. Just don't complain when services start going bad because no money.

Wrong analysis

Their much talked about running costs can never justify the exhorbitant charges and extortions that characterise their very poor services to Nigerians. .
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by nenergy(m): 10:15am On Aug 24, 2015
bushdoc9919:

You're a very logical homosapien. Na sound, unbiased and analytical minds like yours we need for 9ja!
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by dayodare49o: 10:17am On Aug 24, 2015
jaybee104:

lolz. true talk my bro. only God knows how much dey earn daily.. cos business without gain is not business, its charity
in 2008 I read three of them made 700 billions naira. Etisalat had not started operation and fewer nigerians were using phone then if will make adjustment by now they will be making close to 2 trillions naira. That is half of fed govt tax, that is more than lagos annual revenue, that is more than ten states alloation in a year they are thieves they are still stealing from poor nigerians
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 24, 2015
jnrbayano:
That's why we are there to offer top notch power solutions to these BTS and backbone telecom sites to effectively increase uptime and reduce deisel consumption drastically.

Our engineers are well trained to perform retrofit and power swapout without any downtime.

After you kill your workers with very long work hours. There are qualified jobless nigerians and yet you won't hire more personnels.
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 24, 2015
mtn makes at least 1billion naira in recharge cards sale per day....so 175million is no biggie
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by DedeNkem: 11:36am On Aug 24, 2015
Why not go Solar to cut cost?
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by Swiftboy(m): 12:52pm On Aug 24, 2015
rman:

So u want to use the abnormal as a case study? How many people load 10k at a go?

Let me give u an assignment, go to a small town and village and ask for mtn 1500 recharge card and see how difficult It is to get. The cards that move fast are the 100, 200 naira cards which is a reflection of the level of purchasing power of Nigerians.
you singled out that statements to address the whole comment. Read again the made 500 billion naira profit. I say again Profit. Minus every input from output. 500 billion naira profit is like 2 point something billion dollars. Thats not bad for a cooperation. How many companies make that much within a calender year in Nigeria?
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by rman: 1:02pm On Aug 24, 2015
Swiftboy:
you singled out that statements to address the whole comment. Read again the made 500 billion naira profit. I say again Profit. Minus every input from output. 500 billion naira profit is like 2 point something billion dollars. Thats not bad for a cooperation. How many companies make that much within a calender year in Nigeria?

Industry is different from industry. Same way u can't blame Apple for making billion dollar profits.

Telecoms industry is so volatile and flexible that, what seems profitable today will burn your fingers tomorrow. Investors study trends and the trend for telecoms in Nigeria is downwards.

We can all help fast track the collapse it or face reality and make it survive.

If it was so profitable and easy, why did NITEL and MTEL fail?
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by donshaddow(m): 1:08pm On Aug 24, 2015
bushdoc9919:

You forgot something VERY important!

They pay AGBERO and OMO ONILE on every diesel discharged and every time the gate is opened for servicing either the tower or generator.

I weep for my country!
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by luorquay: 2:07pm On Aug 24, 2015
So they spend this much in a day!! Why not all GSM operators (Glo, Mtn, Eti, Airtel) come together, pull resources together and help Nigeria work out the issue of power in the country as this would go a long way in solving their own problems as well.............Na onlu to charge excessively on calls and bill us die on data plan dey sabi
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by laudate: 7:59pm On Aug 24, 2015
jnrbayano:

What type of power solutions? Are you talking about solar systems or gas-powered systems?

And what kind of 'retrofitting,' do you carry out at the base stations?
Re: See How Much Telecom Tower Operators Spend Daily To Power BTS by laudate: 8:03pm On Aug 24, 2015
socialmediaman:
What baffles is, after spending all these money on diesel and petrol generators, government is unable to recover these money back in form of tax. Kudos to Buhari for appointing a man who has delivered aggressively in Lagos, hope he gets the job done and revamps Nigeria's ailing tax system.

Rain, Tax, it's inevitable - Celine Dion

Na God I take beg you... don't bring tax into this issue! Many of our tax officials are soulless, clueless, greedy neanderthals whose sole aim is to cripple a business, especially if such a business is an SME. shocked shocked

Their criteria for tax assessment is as changeable as the weather. And a lot of them are so corrupt, that it is mind boggling! angry

Thanks to the antics of tax officials in Lagos, a lot of businesses have closed down and moved to Ogun State, next door.

Maybe Fowler was appointed to head FIRS in order to replicate the Alpha beta nonsense they did in Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Roger Brown Steps Down As Seplat CEO Over Allegations Of Racism / Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only / GTBank Named ‘Best Bank In Nigeria’ By Euromoney Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.