Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,612 members, 7,820,177 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War (10720 Views)

Saraki: Anti-graft War Is Five-minute Sensationalism / Ekiti Youths Declare Support For Fayose,Protest Buhari's Rascality(photos) / 49 PDP Senators Declare Support For Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Islie: 3:20am On Aug 24, 2015
By Clifford Ndujihe
LAGOS— IN support of the move to reduce the high cost of governance and to boost the war against corruption, the House of Representatives has declared its readiness to take salary cut and back President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-graft measures.

Making these disclosures, yesterday, in Lagos, Chairman, Ad-hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Hon. Mohammed Sani Zorro, said all members of the House of Representatives irrespective of party affiliations are on the same page with the President on the change agenda and ready to give him the necessary legislative backing to actualize the agenda.
Zorro, who represents Gumel/Gagarawa/Mai Gatari/Sule Tankarkar Federal Constituency of Jigawa State on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), said the need to streamline the funding of the House’s activities in line with best practices across the world and Nigeria’s economic fortunes was the reason the Reps set up the Dr Clement Nwankwo Committee.
Promising Nigerians a new wave of transparency in the conduct of affairs in the House, Zorro, a former national chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), said the lawmakers will abide by whatever recommendations the Nwankwo committee makes as regards oversight function allowance, sitting allowance, constituency allowance and all aspects of funding of the House of Representatives.

We’ll lead by  example
On whether the lawmakers can take salary cut, Zorro, who commended President Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and some governors, who have elected to have their salaries cut by 50 per cent, said they are willing to toe the same path because “we are conscious of our integrity. We want to live by example.”
He said that the decision of the House to review the funding of its activities was in submission to the wishes of Nigerians.
He said: “I am here to reveal to you that as a result of the consistent outcry by Nigerians, who have been taking critical exception to the funding of the National Assembly, the House has decided to review the holistic funding of its activities.
“This review will also result in right sizing the funding of the various aspects of our activities. We have already put a mechanism in motion to achieve that. It may also result in the drastic cut of our finances be they salaries, allowances and running cost. We are conscious of our integrity; we will lead by example.
“What I can assure you is that we are submitting to the will of the people as a responsive and responsible legislative institution. We can no longer ignore the popular wishes of the Nigerian people who elected us in the first place. Even if the measures that we will consider will inconvenience us, we will rather make that sacrifice and respect the views of the Nigerian people once and for all.”

Declare support  for anti-graft war
On the anti-graft war, he said: “We are ready to support unconditionally the war being waged against corruption as spearheaded by the executive arm of government under President Muhammadu Buhari.
“I can tell you this on behalf of the House. Whoever is averse to the war against corruption in Nigeria is not a patriot. All patriotic people, whether in the National Assembly or outside of it, must support this war because of the implication of the degenerative level of our own corruption, which has compromised everything that Nigeria used to be. We are ready to assist in the building of a strong and strategic Nigeria. This cannot come about with all these reports in the newspapers of pervasive corruption. So, unconditionally, the House will support the war against corruption.”
On call that the scope of the anti-corruption probe should be widened and extended to 1999, Zorro said it is the prerogative of the executive arm of government, which has control over the security and intelligence agencies, to decide “but what the parliament does is to check the excesses, if any, of whatever process that the executive implements.
“Once the National Assembly discovers that this anti-corruption pursuit is tilted unfairly, may be against a person or group of persons, they will query it. But as of now, we are not entertaining any fear. We will support it, even if that corruption probe will involve the National Assembly. We just have to clean up this country because corruption actually reduces our humanity to the barest level.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/reps-ready-for-salary-cut-declare-support-for-anti-graft-war/

lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by speaktome(m): 3:44am On Aug 24, 2015
We are watching!

Introvert and LadyF una neva wake up?

#MySignature#MyBusiness#

3 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Bishop4bella(m): 3:48am On Aug 24, 2015
Not by mouth but action.
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by courage89(m): 3:57am On Aug 24, 2015
Action speaks louder than words...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by seunmsg(m): 4:04am On Aug 24, 2015
Taking salary cut is not enough. They should stop collecting all the illegal allowances that were not approved by the RFMAC, step up their oversight function and stop collecting bribes from erring MDA's.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by adeayaade: 4:21am On Aug 24, 2015
We are patiently waiting for the percentage they will cut out from their expenditures.

1 Like

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by omowolewa: 6:08am On Aug 24, 2015
Slash the salary and take it back in folds through allowances.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by noeloge82(m): 6:10am On Aug 24, 2015
We are waiting for d april 1
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by tos4u(m): 6:12am On Aug 24, 2015
Buhari is really causing change everywhere, NOW I SEE WHY HE WAS CRYING WHEN HE WAS CAMPAIGNING FOR SUPPORT FROM PEOPLE, because he discovered d earlier he he comes into power d better for Nigeria

13 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by dre11(m): 7:18am On Aug 24, 2015
If this is true...... Then it's a welcome development.

How I wish those senators could take a cue from them
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Kufie(m): 8:18am On Aug 24, 2015
Why do I feel it's just publicity stunt? Well, here's to hoping for the best
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by dinkyicon: 8:18am On Aug 24, 2015
k
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 24, 2015
Really? Really?
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by loomer: 8:18am On Aug 24, 2015
All these salary cuts, na how much be the salary self?
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by pet4ril(f): 8:18am On Aug 24, 2015
God bless their good hearts

1 Like

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by maxiuc(m): 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
Another mouth action
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Ayanko(m): 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
thank God.
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
K

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
tos4u:
Buhari is really causing change everywhere, NOW I SEE WHY HE WAS CRYING WHEN HE WAS CAMPAIGNING FOR SUPPORT FROM PEOPLE, because he discovered d earlier he he comes into power d better for Nigeria

No...someone has explained to the reps that the treasury is not exactly in a healthy state...so, better take a cut.

We may all have to take cuts.....unless you have a chance of convincing the King of Saudi to cut oil output

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by otijah(m): 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by fartkay(m): 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
oya make dem cut d pay n pay d rest in ma account. LOBATAN
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by thoollz: 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
one thing is cutting ur salary, another is to b willing to fight corruption.

I hope their colleagues in d senate can also tow d same path.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by mystical109(m): 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
Bishop4bella:
Not by mouth but action.
which implies mouth action

1 Like

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Seuncoded(f): 8:20am On Aug 24, 2015
Igba yii laro wey der grandmother cried for olosho
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by saintfizzo(m): 8:20am On Aug 24, 2015
Of course we are on course
Buhari's tha boss
Corruption is tha curse
With antigraft strategy
Senator's loss yo mehn yo mehn grin

Somebody shld coman goan feat me o, I dey rap pass MI cool
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by efilefun(m): 8:20am On Aug 24, 2015
i could remember when PMB announced his pay cut, how some wailers were wailing that its unconstitutional and later brought a dead report about how one drunkard also did the same thing....lol confused set of humans

6 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 24, 2015
Which implies allawee remain the same like sitting allowance, standing allowance etc abi?
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by YoursGEJ(m): 8:21am On Aug 24, 2015
My country people, change don come oo
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by EddyNumerouno(m): 8:22am On Aug 24, 2015
Maybe if my salary is N50,000 and my allowances and back door runs earns me a net pay of N450,000 per month, i'll reduce my 'salary' to earn some public favour. Its a win win.

The best jokes in Nigeria are;
1. Police is your friend
2. Sitting allowance.

5 Likes

Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by EmagNig(m): 8:23am On Aug 24, 2015
nice development

[size=16pt]sexyLADE[/size] says so

NIGERIA'S 1ST e-MAGAZINE? CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 24, 2015
with oil prices still falling( now $39), they ought to have realized that it cant be business as usual. They should cut the whole thing, both salary and allowances and stop taking us for fools. Laziest set of people have seen

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Has Won! / We Are Ready To Take Over Power In 2023, Labour Party Boasts / Jonathan Won’t Stay More Than Eight Years – Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.