Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (112) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4395921 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:01pm On Jan 20, 2016
peaceland:

@ Excuzeme : Thanks a lot sir, really appreciate the insight.
@ EgunMogaji : Thanks a lot sir. And thanks for the education!. You got me reading up on graphite lube which is quite good. Thanks.
@ rotecch77 : Thanks sir. Was actually referring to door locks, not padlocks. Already have padlock on the pedestrian side but I have to keep knocking for someone to open from inside the padlock/throwbolt anytime I am out, local options is to cut a small slot for the one outside to be able to unlock the padlock. That cutting is what I want to avoid by using a door lock type.
Thanks.

I guess this is what you're looking for. Had this installed in my kitchen exit door and something similar at the main gate (don't have its pics now). It doesn't have handle outside. Costs N4,500 or something when I bought it in 2013.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 6:03pm On Jan 20, 2016
thanks

brabus:

I guess this is what you're looking for. Had this installed in my kitchen exit door and something similar at the main gate (don't have its pics now). It doesn't have handle outside. Costs N4,500 or something when I bought it in 2013.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 20, 2016
brabus:

Oga Brabus, you fall my hand.

Please change that toy lock asap unless your kitchen door is not an exterior door.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:15pm On Jan 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Oga Brabus, you fall my hand.

Please change that toy lock asap unless your kitchen door is not an exterior door.

Baba carry your hand go up back. grin grin

That lock is for the grill part. I don't want welder bolt. I want something that can be locked from inside in case madam decides to open the main door as shown in the last pic above. However, the main exterior door only open from inside. I remove the handle outside.

The main exterior door has this lock in pic below. It's a double door with good locks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 20, 2016
brabus:

Baba carry your hand go up back. grin grin

That lock is for the grill part. I don't want welder bolt. I want something that can be locked from inside in case madam decides to open the main door as shown in the last pic above. However, the main exterior door only open from inside. I remove the handle outside.

The main exterior door has this lock in pic below. It's a double door with good locks.

Those are all puny interior door locks grin

Come on man, get something designed for that purpose.

How are you supposed to engage a slippery round handle in the rain?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:16pm On Jan 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Slippery round handle inside the house. Not outside.

The other lock is for the grille door. Think of it as a window burglar proof which can be opened and closed with 1st level security (entry barrier)

Anything more than the above, I'll rather go for laser security system. I won't put my family at higher risk while trying to protect them.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 20, 2016
Look at the shanks on these babies, I call them impregnators.

You want a lock that will send a message to would be thiefs that you're going to do some work here buddy grin

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:47pm On Jan 20, 2016
Baba, the pics posted only form one part of the 4 way security lockset. Gbogbo aso ko la nsa loorun. One may be tempted to harm the innocent looking lock only to be shocked at the end.

Opening the door is even a major issue for we the inhabitant cos of ....

But the lockset you posted above though get as he be sha.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 20, 2016
brabus:
Baba, the pics posted only form one part of the 4 way security lockset. Gbogbo aso ko la nsa loorun. One may be tempted to harm the innocent looking lock only to be shocked at the end.

Opening the door is even a major issue for we the inhabitant cos of ....

But the lockset you posted above though get as he be sha.

Now you're talking Sir, stop posting those closet door locks grin

At the bolded is that literally or just a figure of speech shocked

Mental note to self not to touch Brabus gate lock. Knock once and take three steps back and smile at the CCTV grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:30pm On Jan 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Mental note to self not to touch Brabus gate lock. Knock once and take three steps back and smile at the CCTV grin

grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 10:27pm On Jan 20, 2016
brabus:

Thanks sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:09pm On Jan 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Oga Egugun Himself. Please research for good ones that we can buy and take home... I know this is your terrain.

Update: Just seen that you already did. Can you find one like Brabus with the push down/up handle.. I hate the ball handles.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2016
EgunMogaji:

FYI, Brabus got dogs... Just bring some meat...(lazed with sleeping formular, I don't know o) smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 20, 2016
mufutau55:

Oga Egugun Himself. Please research for good ones that we can buy and take home... I know this is your terrain.

Update: Just seen that you already did. Can you find one like Brabus with the push down/up handle.. I hate the ball handles.

Hajji M.

I'll do that Sir.

Swing handles much better if your hands are full or slippery in the rain.

We also need the set with deadbolt.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:13am On Jan 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'll do that Sir.
Swing handles much better if your hands are full or slippery in the rain.
We also need the set with deadbolt.

I trust you will. True I never liked any of those ball handles.
Yes, Deadbolt will also be nice o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onuokwu: 12:49pm On Jan 21, 2016
I need advice on how to use this type of iron mesh (i hope that is what it is called) to temporarily secure about an acre of land. I believe doing this will pass for effective occupation. Where can i buy it? How can this be done is a semi swampy but now dry land? etc....

Thanks ladies and gentlemen....and not so gentlemen grin

Madam gabby add your voice to this o.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 21, 2016
Onuokwu:
I need advice on how to use this type of iron mesh (i hope that is what it is called) to temporarily secure about an acre of land. I believe doing this will pass for effective occupation. Where can i buy it? How can this be done is a semi swampy but now dry land? etc....

Thanks ladies and gentlemen....and not so gentlemen grin

Madam gabby add your voice to this o.

We call it chain link fence over here.

It doesn't have to be temporary, you can embed the posts in cement and let vines grow over it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onuokwu: 3:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

We call it chain link fence over here.

It doesn't have to be temporary, you can embed the posts in cement and let vines grow over it.

Thanks Baba Egun, i guess for a waterlogged area i need to do some casing to enable the cement set well. Is there any standard specification of distance in between posts?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 3:46pm On Jan 21, 2016
Onuokwu:

Thanks Baba Egun, i guess for a waterlogged area i need to do some casing to enable the cement set well. Is there any standard specification of distance in between posts?

3m interval. For waterlogged site, use small drum. Fill up with concrete and set your poles in it. If depth is not much you can use a paint bucket. And don't forget to use aluminum wire to tension it at the top, middle and bottom part.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 3:51pm On Jan 21, 2016
Pls help me

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onuokwu: 4:07pm On Jan 21, 2016
brabus:

3m interval. For waterlogged site, use small drum. Fill up with concrete and set your poles in it. If depth is not much you can use a paint bucket. And don't forget to use aluminum wire to tension it at the top, middle and bottom part.

Thanks Brabus. Its beginning to make more sense now @concrete in drum/paint bucket. Please clarify what you mean by tensions. Any visuals to facilitate understanding?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 4:19pm On Jan 21, 2016
Onuokwu:

Thanks Brabus. Its beginning to make more sense now @concrete in drum/paint bucket. Please clarify what you mean by tensions. Any visuals to facilitate understanding?

There's Aluminium wire which looks like binding wire but more stronger that they sell where you'll buy the fence wire. You'll run it through the top, middle and bottom to make it stand strong.

But if you're using galvanized poles for the braces, it's not necessary.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Akpuoru: 5:08pm On Jan 21, 2016
Hi good people. Am about to do electrical piping. Went to the market in PH (Okija) with hope of getting ABB or MEM distribution board. Was told that those brands had lots of imitations that I should go for SMART which is a new product hence no imitation yet, now confused. I will appreciate advice on choice of DB and cooking unit.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PeoplesArmy: 5:26pm On Jan 21, 2016
Akpuoru:
Hi good people. Am about to do electrical piping. Went to the market in PH (Okija) with hope of getting ABB or MEM distribution board. Was told that those brands had lots of imitations that I should go for SMART which is a new product hence no imitation yet, now confused. I will appreciate advice on choice of DB and cooking unit.

Keep an eye out for the original and stick to what you want. They are trying to sell what the have to you. If you can't tell fake from original, get somebody who can, to accompany you to the market.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 5:43pm On Jan 21, 2016
Akpuoru:

I think you should get an independent electrician, and go with the person to the shop, also ask around. I definitely used ABB made in England or so. And it was what was recommended to me by electrician and also the supplier.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
Here's an example of pressure treated wood that can be used for direct ground contact. Meaning it can co habitat with moisture and insects. Now that being said, one should always direct water away from the structure and also take secondary steps to spray for insects. For example there are solutions that will directly inject the soil around the perimeter of the house to deter termites and also another system that will spray insecticide directly inside the wall structure.

I plan on building my future Mai Guard house out of wood but on top of a poured concrete slab (American style, no concrete block). I think it's a perfect opportunity to finally put this allegation that Nigeria is not fit for wood structure to test.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onuokwu: 8:46pm On Jan 21, 2016
brabus:

There's Aluminium wire which looks like binding wire but more stronger that they sell where you'll buy the fence wire. You'll run it through the top, middle and bottom to make it stand strong.

But if you're using galvanized poles for the braces, it's not necessary.

Okay. Gotcha.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 9:12pm On Jan 21, 2016
tevanso:
Pls help me ,i need a job
I graduated from the dept of building tech, AMBROSE alli university in the year 2009.i av worked with RCC ,but since last year september we have been layed off because the federal govt didn't fund the ongoing project we are working ,right now I need a job as a site supervisor | engineer in order to be able to feeud my family .08060506857
please where did you reside?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:37am On Jan 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I plan on building my future Mai Guard house out of wood but on top of a poured concrete slab (American style, no concrete block). I think it's a perfect opportunity to finally put this allegation that Nigeria is not fit for wood structure to test.

Says who? Baba, whatever you can think of, you'll find them right here in abundance. Stop patronizing lazy men who cannot see beyond their nose. Their perceived notion is that everything is impossible or that some things are only achievable in the heavens.

There are coy that pressurize (ferment) woods around. Some are into big time export to China. Ai'rin jina lai ri abuke okere.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:03am On Jan 22, 2016
brabus:

Says who? Baba, whatever you can think of, you'll find them right here in abundance. Stop patronizing lazy men who cannot see beyond their nose. Their perceived notion is that everything is impossible or that some things are only achievable in the heavens.

There are coy that pressurize (ferment) woods around. Some are into big time export to China. Ai'rin jina lai ri abuke okere.

Says the fact that I've never seen anyone feature a wood built structure in this forum and that over time the subject comes up no one has said anything positive about it.

Everytime I bring it up I'm told that there is a specially made termite by Lucifer himself that carries away wood structures during the night cheesy
How many wooden structures have you constructed from this eloquent sources that you mentioned?

On your Hacienda, as a vocal builder on here, is there a single wooden structure on the premises? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 2:14am On Jan 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

How many wooden structures have you constructed from this eloquent sources that you mentioned?

On your Hacienda, as a vocal builder on here, is there a single wooden structure on the premises? grin

I haven't done much with woods but I have a lot of experience about this and im taking my time to get it right.

My Chateau is still a work in progress. I intend to have pergola structure in some areas. But time and chance no dey. It's long overdue.

______
Pic: My Mai guard and gen house slabbed awaiting the pergola structure.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 7:27am On Jan 22, 2016
segcymoor:

please where did you reside?
I stay in lagos / ibadan; I don't mind relocating to any part of the country .u can reach me with 08060506857

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: otedola1(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.