Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,489 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1174) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4396176 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) (1176) (1177) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by YamahaR6(m): 7:13am On Jun 03, 2019
pweetyabiola:
Hi everyone, please i need your opinion, i want to get a house for my parent in around Airport Ibadan and my budget is 8million. should i build the house or buy an already made house? i dont have land yet. thank you. will appreciate your opinions

Do not buy a built property in Ibadan, most of them dig things inside the house, with your budget you can buy a land and build something good for your folks, but please don’t put your family in charge of the building, must the land or house be at airport area? Lands are cheaper in some other places, I live in ib
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Annypeace(f): 8:40am On Jun 03, 2019
Please I need a room self contain for 150 per annum onipan/palmgroove axis
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by pweetyabiola(f): 9:07am On Jun 03, 2019
YamahaR6:

Do not buy a built property in Ibadan, most of them dig things inside the house, with your budget you can buy a land and build something good for your folks, but please don’t put your family in charge of the building, must the land or house be at airport area? Lands are cheaper in some other places, I live in ib
thank you very much , which other areas has cheaper lands? can gou please contact me on omolabake88@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by iknowwhoiam: 9:09am On Jun 03, 2019
adanny01:

On whether its safe, the only thing that makes it safe is the design. You are safe to use steel even for far more than the 3 stories you are planning, it is the design that makes it safe or not.

There are quacks, draftsmen and even some uneducated fellows that would do RCD designs for you, but SSD is another game a quack would decline. So you will pay for the real deal.

To pass building planning and permits means vetting officers who are used to RCDs would cast an eagle eye on your project. Meaning you get delays and spend money at every corner and every boss is aware and monitors your project.

It is easy to determine quality of concrete but not for structural steel. The development control would want to see results. Building with RC is not just convenient, it doesn't require maintenance after construction. Very limited things affect concrete during its life span, such as sea water, fire etc. With steal, rust is a major issue so even without sea water. This means that steal would only be handled by professionals. You dont get to use 4k per day masons, you must use highly skilled labour.

You are also limited in building services that are cheap and easy to install. With a steel building, a small thing as an electrical socket needs expert handling to place. You don't get to weld structural members at will. You get to hire a crane for the duration of your build, that cant be cheap. You meet few experienced artisans which will not come cheap. You will pay huge electricity bills cos your project requires welding 24/7. I can go on and on and on. The cost in my projection can easily be more that twice what you would spend on RC.

Let me reiterate, it is doable, it is safe but can never be cheaper.

adanny01,

Many thanks for your insight. Your knowledge in civil/structural engineering is valuable.
Why am considering this option is because, where I leave (outside Nigeria), the people use SSD for their construction and it seems to be cheap.

Anyway, I will do more research on this matter.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by iknowwhoiam: 9:11am On Jun 03, 2019
gbadexy:

Some years ago while I was researching fire retardant paint for buildings, I came across an article that blamed the fast rate of collapse of the world trade center twin tower to the steel frame it was built with.
It was reported that while steel is very strong and durable in the right condition, it quickly looses it's strength under intense heat.
you may want to ask the experts of safety in the event of fire incident.

gbadexy, am not too sure, but that's another topic for different occasion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tipan(m): 9:23am On Jun 03, 2019
blacksta:
Need a painter and paints... What is the typical labour cost for a Self Contain and 2 bed flat

Good morning sir, Value Paints can supply you paints at factory price. Please contact for price list of our various paint types.

Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tipan(m): 9:30am On Jun 03, 2019
I work with VALUE PAINTS so I'm handling any paint purchases and painting jobs of individuals and corporate organisations for buildings within Nigeria.

Whenever you have quotation for number of paints needed, we can supply at factory price with free delivery in Lagos. We can also bring our painters to do the quotation and do the painting if you wish to at a reduced cost.

Also, buying from us will save people cost of buying paints at exorbitant prices from resellers. You can also call me to schedule an appointment at our office to finalise transactions. Our premium quality paints come with 5+ years warranty.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:49am On Jun 03, 2019
iknowwhoiam:

adanny01,

Many thanks for your insight. Your knowledge in civil/structural engineering is valuable.
Why am considering this option is because, where I leave (outside Nigeria), the people use SSD for their construction and it seems to be cheap.

Anyway, I will do more research on this matter.
@bold stop wasting your time and resources doing research, building methods and materials varies with location, in some part of d world steel is cheap to come by, but unfortunately not in Nigeria, steel is extremely expensive, people use steel to fight span without support in this part of d world. Since u are building a simple residential building with intermediate support u have no business with steel.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:50am On Jun 03, 2019
iknowwhoiam:

gbadexy, am not too sure, but that's another topic for different occasion.
He is right, steel has a very low fire resistance and weak in compression too, unlike concrete.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:59am On Jun 03, 2019
pweetyabiola:
Hi everyone, please i need your opinion, i want to get a house for my parent in around Airport Ibadan and my budget is 8million. should i build the house or buy an already made house? i dont have land yet. thank you. will appreciate your opinions
8m should build a moderate 3 or 4 bedroom in ibadan + land, probably in a not too expensive area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:24am On Jun 03, 2019
Rubbiish:

@bold stop wasting your time and resources doing research, building methods and materials varies with location, in some part of d world steel is cheap to come by, but unfortunately not in Nigeria, steel is extremely expensive, people use steel to fight span without support in this part of d world. Since u are building a simple residential building with intermediate support u have no business with steel.

True, the sandcrete/concrete building system we use here will not be applicable in very cold regions. Compared to wood, concrete conducts temperature more.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:38am On Jun 03, 2019
Rubbiish:

He is right, steel has a very low fire resistance and weak in compression too, unlike concrete.

You are very correct but there is a way or methods to protect steel against fire.
-spraying of chemical
-cladding
Boarding I.e concrete, block etc.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 7:32pm On Jun 03, 2019
pweetyabiola:

There is a place developing around erunmu, 5 to 10min drive to olodo, you can see land at 350k per plot, at olodo, yiu shud see land at 400 to 450 but it ll enter inside inside wink. With 5m you shud be able to build a simple 3 bedroom flat.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olatunji67POP(m): 7:43pm On Jun 03, 2019
My name is Olatunji, a POP expert. I am into POP artworks and designs.

Please consult me for your POP artworks and designs and you will NEVER regret you did. For superb works and affordable fees, I am at your service sirs and ma'am. phone number:07062567817

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 9:02pm On Jun 03, 2019
bixton:

What size of steel bar do you intend to use?

16mm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2019
sako28:
Hello everyone,
I want us to share knowledge about securing your property with Electrical fence or barbed wire.
Here I have 2 scenarios
1. Electrical fence in Nigeria that power supply is nothing to write home about. Am sure your reaction will be why not put it on solar and inverter since you have the money. My question is how long the solar inverter last to secure your fence and same time power the appliance in the house. Some will say you can use generator to support.

2. Barbed wire might not look fancy like the electrical counterpart but over years this product has serve and have been improved on. Now will have the anti-rust one that last years without any rust. Barbed wire does need to be electrified before your compound is secured.

I know there are other scenarios from the above, so please let share idea about these 2 two methods to secure house in Nigeria.
Personally, I told my installer I want barbed wire due to the power issue in the country. And now I’m looking for a way to put an alarm on it without electrifying it. Anyone with an idea?

the electrical fence doesnt consume much energy, in order not to kill a would be trespasser, it sends very low currents [milliamps] in pulses through the cable, am fairly certain a 1kva inverter, 1 unit 200ah battery and 2 units 250w solar panel is enough to keep the setup energized 24/7...365days, ie if you dont wish to add it to the home solar system
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 9:04am On Jun 04, 2019
iknowwhoiam:

Thanks adanny01,
I need to know if it is SAFE. Cost to me is not really a factor.
I know in other climes, it is used to build multi-story buildings, but in Nigeria the reserve is the case. I need to know technically if it is permissible to do so, cost aside.

On a side note, it could be cheaper, you never know!
Technically it is possible, cost wise it may be a little high, but aesthetically you may be restricted a little .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:33pm On Jun 04, 2019
pweetyabiola:
thank you very much , which other areas has cheaper lands? can gou please contact me on omolabake88@yahoo.com. thanks
contact @ Kolashangone also he might be if help
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:34pm On Jun 04, 2019
earthrealm:

the electrical fence doesnt consume much energy, in order not to kill a would be trespasser, it sends very low currents [milliamps] in pulses through the cable, am fairly certain a 1kva inverter, 1 unit 200ah battery and 2 units 250w solar panel is enough to keep the setup energized 24/7...365days, ie if you dont wish to add it to the home solar system
correct
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 3:41pm On Jun 04, 2019
YamahaR6:

Correct
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 3:51pm On Jun 04, 2019
pweetyabiola:
Check your mail
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by biliment(m): 6:36pm On Jun 04, 2019
Hello builders in the building. Please am having challenges on the new site am posted to. The site was constructed using frame structure and its a 2bedroom flat of 2 upper floors. I joined them on the second floor blockwork which has already been setout. My challenges now is that I noticed when my bricklayers follow block that has been set makes d blockwork deviate from the column at both sides for more than one inche. Though, we try as much as possible to make sure it align with the beam. My fear is, when the plastering will be done it may requires more plasters to cover those thickness. So, professionals, advice me if I should continue aligning my blockwork with the beams or I should set my blockwork with the columns which I think are the major cause of this challenges we are having.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 10:36pm On Jun 04, 2019
biliment:
Hello builders in the building. Please am having challenges on the new site am posted to. The site was constructed using frame structure and its a 2bedroom flat of 2 upper floors. I joined them on the second floor blockwork which has already been setout. My challenges now is that I noticed when my bricklayers follow block that has been set makes d blockwork deviate from the column at both sides for more than one inche. Though, we try as much as possible to make sure it align with the beam. My fear is, when the plastering will be done it may requires more plasters to cover those thickness. So, professionals, advice me if I should continue aligning my blockwork with the beams or I should set my blockwork with the columns which I think are the major cause of this challenges we are having.

Yeah that's one of disadvantages of frame structure,because block members are just partition, they serve as non load bearings walls. Either the blocks go align with beam or at path with colomn you will still be experiencing block deviating even after plastered or rendered.
Note: block sagging after plastered or rendered is just minors not structural.
Pre remedy:
@ Tyrolean of column surface / make columns surface rough

Post remedy:
@ Chiselling those joints and treat chiselled portion
i.e that's kind of reinforcing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:23pm On Jun 04, 2019
tritritri:

What d price of granite and gravel ? 10 tones ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:25pm On Jun 04, 2019
Rubbiish:

Sir what is the current price of dangote and bus cement? 10 tons of granite? Thanks
Dangote Cement@2500/bag min of 300bags
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:05am On Jun 05, 2019
biliment:

You are supposed to align your block form work course by course to the frame structure(columns-beams). That's the most simple form to build. And you have the house plan handy as guude to put any partition wall internally. Except if you feel the frame structure(columns-beams) are not aligned in the manner they ought to.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:31am On Jun 05, 2019
mank1234:

16mm

Okay.
Run 6 columns of size 225×150mm. Let the stirrup spacing on your columns be 150mm.
Run an external beam, centre beam on the deck when you mat.
Use a mix of 1:2:2.
Reduce the tank size to 1500 litres.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:15am On Jun 05, 2019
Does anyone residing in Delta State have an idea how much is a plot of land around the Uwagba axis?
Someone is in need of a 100×100........
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 8:08am On Jun 05, 2019
ANY FLATROOF ENTHUSIASTS, am in the process of converting my house plan design to a proper flat roof design , but the architect is saying flat roof will leak....be it in 5yrs time, or 25yrs time..and that remediation then would be super expensive.
this is the type of structure i hv in mind.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keepingmum: 9:05am On Jun 05, 2019
how much is granite 40 tons and 40 tons of chippings please? I also need a large tipper/truck to be able to deliver it to Kuje - quote me and drop your details please
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 9:49am On Jun 05, 2019
earthrealm:
ANY FLATROOF ENTHUSIASTS, am in the process of converting my house plan design to a proper flat roof design , but the architect is saying flat roof will leak....be it in 5yrs time, or 25yrs time..and that remediation then would be super expensive.
this is the type of structure i hv in mind.

Generally if a roof is not maintained, (I mean preventive maintainance )over a particular period of time it would leak.Regardless of whether its a flat roof or not.
mode of construction, Quality and type of material used, would determine how long a roof would last.

Factors like its design, slope, drainage and mode of construction have to be looked into.

If its well designed & constructed, a flat roof would last long.

Apart from cost , I am a keen enthusiast and specialist when it comes to facade design.So I know what I am talking about.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) (1176) (1177) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ikuku(m), waley007(m), agoro2u, Akerewe(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.