Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1269) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388392 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1266) (1267) (1268) (1269) (1270) (1271) (1272) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 6:19pm On Dec 02, 2019
Hello,

Who are the good roofing vendors here?
I need to get accurate wood quantities first for the kingpost.

I'll like to hear recommendations from customers that have used their services ONLY.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:24pm On Dec 02, 2019
Nero2424:
House, I got a quote for electrical work from 2 electrician to wire a 6 blocks of flat of 3 bedroom each. The major difference between both quotes is, one quoted 16mm load wire while the other quoted 10mm load wire.... What's your input?

Both will work, though the 16mm looks like an over-kill.
He would probably buy you a 10mm for the load and claim money for 16mm, if he knows you dont know anything about thickness of wires. grin grin

The reason l said BOTH will work is that if you envisage that your load will be so heavy (five split A.C. Two Cookers, Water Heaters, Boiling Kettle..ALL WORKING SIMULTANEOUSLY), you might want to consider using a thick enough load wire of 16mm, to prevent overloading, possible melting of wire and other possible electrical problems....but l bet no one puts on all those heavy appliances at a go!

16mm wires are usually used for Service wire while 10mm is used for load wires, in residential buildings

I hope you intend to source for your wires from REPUTABLE Suppliers, YOURSELF, otherwise, l just pity you.
. cry
Let the Contractor list all the wires he wants, BUY them yourself (again, l repeat, from a reputable supplier or direct from the company) and keep them somewhere safe (within your property, like a strong room) and then let him have the wires according to his daily needs, ensuring that you verify where he used the last quantity you gave him, before giving out the next batch.
Otherwise, you will be buying a lot of wires that would disappear into thin air.
You wont believe that l still have wires that can run a threebedroom flat as EXCESS LEFTOVER, from what l used in running my building, and l did three phase installations all through! These wires is what my contractor would have stolen, if not that l was not vigilant....
and YES, the Contractor is on this Nairaland Thread. We eventually fell-out because his plans just did not work. grin grin

Please note: It is essential you buy original wires, direct from the producing companies like Coleman, etc.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by timesup234: 6:33pm On Dec 02, 2019
tikristinimi21:
Good evening everyone. Below is an estimate given for a 3 bedroom bungalow. 3 AC. No water heater

I want expert in the house to help counsel on the appropriateness of price and quantity.

Thank you.

cc twinskenny
topsy
Your electrician is not only a thief but a bastard as well
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:41pm On Dec 02, 2019
gbadexy:

I was just thinking the same while going through your initial post that we seem to work on similar projects more than I realize upon introspection.
Keep up your good work champ!

Three Things will make a Contractor stand out from the pack:

1) Honesty
2.) Knowlege of your Trade
3.) Not Over-Pricing your services/Product

Gbadexy ticks all the boxes, all the time, l have used his products twice and even recommended him to someone who used him and was impressed as well. i will trust him 101%
I have not engaged Rotech before but l have not heard any of his Client complaining about him as well so l am not surprised himself and yourself meet a lot on the same project. Rotech has built his own reputation over time as well.
I can only ask both of you to maintain your good reputation AT ALL COST.

BTW: It will help if Rotech adopts more Client-friendly pricing model for his customers, just like gbadexy, country is not smilling with the Purse at all. grin

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tikristinimi21: 6:42pm On Dec 02, 2019
timesup234:
You electrician is not only a thief but a bastard as well

Why did you say that sir?
Pls help!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:47pm On Dec 02, 2019
tikristinimi21:
Good evening everyone. Below is an estimate given for a 3 bedroom bungalow. 3 AC. No water heater

I want expert in the house to help counsel on the appropriateness of price and quantity.

Thank you.

cc twinskenny
topsy

I am NOT an expert but l can tell straight away that you dont need that much 1.5mm Green wire (earth wire)
Also, is he planning to use 2.5mm (Red and Black) to run A.C or where in that quote is A.C wire?

I fear your Electrician o. Seek a second quote from an experienced electrician and compare both.
Buy original wires, direct from factory please. fake wire can start electrical fire due to overload or when there is a surge.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:05pm On Dec 02, 2019
Daboomb:

1) Honesty

Gbadexy ticks all the boxes, all the time, l have used his products twice and even recommended him to someone who used him and was impressed as well. i will trust him 101%
I have not engaged Rotech before but l have not heard any of his Client complaining about him as well so l am not surprised himself and yourself meet a lot on the same project. Rotech has built his own reputation over time as well.

BTW: It will help if Rotech adopts more Client-friendly pricing model for his customers, just like gbadexy, country is not smilling with the Purse at all. grin
Thank you very much for your kind words sir, I really appreciate it and would take it as a further motivation to serve better.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:24pm On Dec 02, 2019
Daboomb:

1) Honesty

Wow, what do I need to say again than to thank you for your motivational word.
I will keep it up sir.
And to the last sentence on your comet, our quotation are friendly,
Actually we do handle project in 3 categories.
Low class,
Medium class
High class.

But all the same we need to go back to drawings board to see how we can make thing more bearable to our esteem clients and to any member here to gain more clients.
Thanks so much I really appreciate sir.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:21am On Dec 03, 2019
tikristinimi21:

Thank you.

cc twinskenny
topsy
where is your location?

If it’s Lagos the prices of the cable are high and also the quantity...

And there is no 4mm for Ac
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 1:53am On Dec 03, 2019
Daboomb:

Both will work, though the 16mm looks like an over-kill.
He would probably buy you a 10mm for the load and claim money for 16mm, if he knows you dont know anything about thickness of wires. grin grin

The reason l said BOTH will work is that if you envisage that your load will be so heavy (five split A.C. Two Cookers, Water Heaters, Boiling Kettle..ALL WORKING SIMULTANEOUSLY), you might want to consider using a thick enough load wire of 16mm, to prevent overloading, possible melting of wire and other possible electrical problems....but l bet no one puts on all those heavy appliances at a go!

16mm wires are usually used for Service wire while 10mm is used for load wires, in residential buildings

I hope you intend to source for your wires from REPUTABLE Suppliers, YOURSELF, otherwise, l just pity you.
. cry
Let the Contractor list all the wires he wants, BUY them yourself (again, l repeat, from a reputable supplier or direct from the company) and keep them somewhere safe (within your property, like a strong room) and then let him have the wires according to his daily needs, ensuring that you verify where he used the last quantity you gave him, before giving out the next batch.
Otherwise, you will be buying a lot of wires that would disappear into thin air.
You wont believe that l still have wires that can run a threebedroom flat as EXCESS LEFTOVER, from what l used in running my building, and l did three phase installations all through! These wires is what my contractor would have stolen, if not that l was not vigilant....
and YES, the Contractor is on this Nairaland Thread. We eventually fell-out because his plans just did not work. grin grin

Please note: It is essential you buy original wires, direct from the producing companies like Coleman, etc.

Thanks for the explanation, the electrician that quoted 10mm did said if I get a 16mm quote they will end up buying a 10mm however am also looking at the future assuming electricity becos stable in the near future and everyone switches to electric powered appliances like hot plates
Electric coolers, 100% microwave usage etc. I this are the reason I will want to get the 16mm instead.

Yes I would be buying the wires myself and my security will handle the storage while they work and making sure wires are not jumping over the fence.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Waterway: 3:02am On Dec 03, 2019
Anyone on this forum have information on Victory Estate, Lekki FTZ. The developer is Kayode Obembe. Is this developer credible. I bought plots from this company in 2016 and yet until date, no allocations of plots. Now in 2019 , the company wants developmental fee ( more money ) which was not disclosed upfront. The company says allocation to be made after developmental fees paid. Is this company credible..??.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 5:08am On Dec 03, 2019
Good Morning correct People,
Please a friend of mine wants to commence his building and he wants to do foundation blinding. He was given quotation for gravel but I told him granite is better is better. His issue is that gravel He cheaper compared to granite.

I am trying to convince him to use granite but he wants to know the implications of not using granite.

Kindly assist with the comparison for both so that I can advice him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:13am On Dec 03, 2019
Muyi002:
Please a friend of mine wants to commence his building and he wants to do foundation blinding. He was given quotation for gravel but I told him granite is better is better. His issue is that gravel He cheaper compared to granite.

I am trying to convince him to use granite but he wants to know the implications of not using granite.

GRAVEL is good but not as good as GRANITE

Reason
Gravel has a lot of impurities content which is not good when it’s mixed with cement it’s do weaken the strenght of the cement.

For you to have good gravel you needs to remove all these impurities in it by:
Washing.
Sieves.

But have in mind that 30pec of the tonnage will go away after all these exercises.

But why all these stress when there is granite out there for you, unless you get the gravel at VERY cheaper rate or FREE.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by beebah247: 7:34am On Dec 03, 2019
Waterway:
Anyone on this forum have information on Victory Estate, Lekki FTZ. The developer is Kayode Obembe. Is this developer credible. I bought plots from this company in 2016 and yet until date, no allocations of plots. Now in 2019 , the company wants developmental fee ( more money ) which was not disclosed upfront. The company says allocation to be made after developmental fees paid. Is this company credible..??.

Do you know if this Kayode Obembe lives in Magodo Brooks estate, Magodo and has his office somewhere around lekki? If it is the same person I can help you find out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:41am On Dec 03, 2019
Waterway:
Allocation is supposed to be before development fee. What are they developing if people are yet to get their land let alone start building? Look for other persons that bought land from the same estate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:47am On Dec 03, 2019
Muyi002:

Granite will produce a concrete with better strength. But do people still build with gravel? Haven't seen it for a long time now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tikristinimi21: 8:34am On Dec 03, 2019
twinskenny:
where is your location?

If it’s Lagos the prices of the cable are high and also the quantity...

And there is no 4mm for Ac

Location is Niger state.
Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mrsdaniel: 8:51am On Dec 03, 2019
Hello house, I need someone to help seal a leaking overhead tank area located on the top of building.I see most use a black stuff on most building top to avoid leakage penetration.. pls quote me if you can assist
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:58am On Dec 03, 2019
rotecch77:

Wow, what do I need to say again than to thank you for your motivational word.
I will keep it up sir.
And to the last sentence on your comet, our quotation are friendly,
Actually we do handle project in 3 categories.
Low class,
Medium class
High class.

But all the same we need to go back to drawings board to see how we can make thing more bearable to our esteem clients and to any member here to gain more clients.
Thanks so much I really appreciate sir.

The SKY.... will even be below your limit.
More Power to your Elbow Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:13am On Dec 03, 2019
Nero2424:

Thanks for the explanation, the electrician that quoted 10mm did said if I get a 16mm quote they will end up buying a 10mm however am also looking at the future assuming electricity becos stable in the near future and everyone switches to electric powered appliances like hot plates
Electric coolers, 100% microwave usage etc. I this are the reason I will want to get the 16mm instead.

Yes I would be buying the wires myself and my security will handle the storage while they work and making sure wires are not jumping over the fence.

I understand you but your worries are unfounded ..and l will explain.
10mm will conviniently do all those things you mentioned. I use all those things you mentioned, have a large family and because l also have an alternative source of Power, my electricity is always-on, 24/7. And my internal wiring is also 10mm.

The key to the Power Scalability you are concerned about, is to wire your building such that heavy-duty equipments dont share the same line of wore.
For example, l wont join the terminal/socket box of my Electric Boiling Kettle, Iron and Microwave (even though thi sone is used intermitently) or Electric Rice Cooker on the same line of wire. Each of these items will take their power on separate wire, directly from the Distribution Box (DB).
This method also have the davantage that when their is a fault, only that particular item's socket is tripped on the DB.

As long as you dont cut corners, (use original wires, do proper, direct wiring for heavy equipments and let an experienced professional do your wiring, get separate DB for each flat and run a direct (from Pole) 16mm Service Wire for each flat), 10MM wire is adequate for your internal wiring.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:29am On Dec 03, 2019
tikristinimi21:

Thank you.

cc twinskenny
topsy

The quantity is much and price is also high

For standard 3bedroom flat below is the list cables require
1.5mm for lighting
Red 4
Black 3

2.5mm for socket and water heater
Red 3
Black 3
1.5mm green 3

4mm for AC
Red 1
Black 1
2.5mm green 1

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:32am On Dec 03, 2019
Daboomb:

I understand you but your worries are unfounded ..and l will explain.
10mm will conviniently do all those things you mentioned. I use all those things you mentioned, have a large family and because l also have an alternative source of Power, my electricity is always-on, 24/7. And my internal wiring is also 10mm.

The key to the Power Scalability you are concerned about, is to wire your building such that heavy-duty equipments dont share the same line of wore.
For example, l wont join the terminal/socket box of my Electric Boiling Kettle, Iron and Microwave (even though thi sone is used intermitently) or Electric Rice Cooker on the same line of wire. Each of these items will take their power on separate wire, directly from the Distribution Box (DB).
This method also have the davantage that when their is a fault, only that particular item's socket is tripped on the DB.

As long as you dont cut corners, (use original wires, do proper, direct wiring for heavy equipments and let an experienced professional do your wiring, get separate DB for each flat and run a direct (from Pole) 16mm Service Wire for each flat), 10MM wire is adequate for your internal wiring.

There is a calculation i have posted here that u need to follow. But just that anytime i posted it the message would be deleted and also ban for 24hrs. I would have love to share it to everyone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 11:31am On Dec 03, 2019
mrsdaniel:
Hello house, I need someone to help seal a leaking overhead tank area located on the top of building.I see most use a black stuff on most building top to avoid leakage penetration.. pls quote me if you can assist
please throw more light on what u need help for ma
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:57am On Dec 03, 2019
Hi,

I want to go into the property business as an investor. Like building flats for rent. My only concern at the moment are the outrageous rates land are being advertised in Lagos. I see some plots and you hear 5million

Are there any area in Lagos or outside Lagos where I can get Lands for an affordable price and still have a decent rental value after construction.

Useful advice will be welcomed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 12:25pm On Dec 03, 2019
sgtponzihater1:
Hi,

I want to go into the property business as an investor. Like building flats for rent. My only concern at the moment are the outrageous rates land are being advertised in Lagos. I see some plots and you hear 5million

Are there any area in Lagos or outside Lagos where I can get Lands for an affordable price and still have a decent rental value after construction.

Useful advice will be welcomed.

there are some parts of Ikorodu where you might get land below N5m.
Towns like Agbowa, Adamo in ikorodu etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtponzihater1(m): 12:28pm On Dec 03, 2019
raymondFirstborn:

there are some parts of Ikorodu where you might get land below N5m.
Towns like Agbowa, Adamo in ikorodu etc

I need areas with rental value. I heard people rent flats for 100k in Ikorodu
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hezbola: 2:06pm On Dec 03, 2019
Please Engrs in the house help me study this critically. Is there need for any amends. This what was given to me.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jiday4(m): 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2019
Makogi inside Magboro is your best bet, affordable land and rent is fair enough .2bedroom goes for #250,000 depending on the facilities in the apartment.

Hi,

Useful advice will be welcomed. [/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 2:15pm On Dec 03, 2019
Hezbola:
Please Engrs in the house help me study this critically. Is there need for any amends. This what was given to me.

for a house OF THIS SIZE, the bathrooms and master's dressing are too small...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 2:52pm On Dec 03, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

I need areas with rental value. I heard people rent flats for 100k in Ikorodu

thats not true, I stay in Ikorodu. A mini flat in ikorodu is between 140 and 180k.

2bedroom flat is between 200k and 500k depends on the area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sgtponzihater1(m): 2:55pm On Dec 03, 2019
raymondFirstborn:

thats not true, I stay in Ikorodu. A mini flat in ikorodu is between 140 and 180k.

2bedroom flat is between 200k and 500k depends on the area.

Great, thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 3:08pm On Dec 03, 2019
topsy23:

There is a calculation i have posted here that u need to follow. But just that anytime i posted it the message would be deleted and also ban for 24hrs. I would have love to share it to everyone

It is very unfortunate, that the spambot is banning it! angry

Can you do us the favour by posting is as an attachment in PDF or just snap the pages and aspictures and attach it to oyur post, so as to avoid the spambot?
That would be nice to see.`

I am aware that one can calculate load for each appliance (VA in Kilowatts) and use that to calculate the thickness of wire required to carry the current equivalent to such load, within appreciable tolerance) but l just dont want to go into such details with the poster but rather gave a "general, rule of thumb" advice that will still work.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1266) (1267) (1268) (1269) (1270) (1271) (1272) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.