Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1275) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388136 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1272) (1273) (1274) (1275) (1276) (1277) (1278) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 11:15am On Dec 12, 2019
vboss:

Hello nairalanders, good morning.
Please something has been troubling my mind. I'm currently constructing a three bedroom bungalow with concrete fascia ( parapet). The seasoned engineer handling the project refused to include any pillars on the foundation, saying there is no need.

For the past 2 hours I have been going through different pages of several projects here on this section of nairaland and I cannot say I'm not scared my foundation is without any form of pillars. I don't know if it's because he used 9" blocks on all outside walls.

Please I don't want my house to collapse. Please kindly let me know if there is anything I can still do. Or if the pillars can at this point be included. I'm scared please.

I just filled the foundation with sand. That's the stage the project is at currently.
same thing with mine...The engineer said I don't need a column at the foundation level since the building is on a dry land...we are at the roofing stage now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

same thing with mine...The engineer said I don't need a column at the foundation level since the building is on a dry land...we are at the roofing stage now

You need pillars at the sides since you’re doing parapet. 9inches block will not withstand the weight of the parapet and can lead to cracks in the future.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 11:24am On Dec 12, 2019
Helo professionals, please i need solution to this problem....The paints on the walls of my house is getting whitish and also some other parts are getting peelled off....I guess it is water action.... please,what is the possible solution to this....
Note: it is a rented apartment
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:31am On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:
Helo professionals, please i need solution to this problem....The paints on the walls of my house is getting whitish and also some other parts are getting peelled off....I guess it is water action.... please,what is the possible solution to this....
Good morning sir, a picture would give better insight.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 11:32am On Dec 12, 2019
segzy14:

You need pillars at the sides since you’re doing parapet. 9inches block will not withstand the weight of the parapet and can lead to cracks in the future.
so what should I do now?....and also what if I don't what to do parapet,will the building be fine?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 11:34am On Dec 12, 2019
gbadexy:

I thought as much sir..I am not in the house now but when I get home I will post the pictures....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 11:36am On Dec 12, 2019
gbadexy:

and also a painter told me he will d something like a screeding to the wall before painting it...he told me to get cement and white paint
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

so what should I do now?....and also what if I don't what to do parapet,will the building be fine?

Introduce pillars at the sides if you want to do a parapet and if you’re not doing parapet, the Building is fine.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:50am On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:
and also a painter told me he will d something like a screeding to the wall before painting it...he told me to get cement and white paint
Determining the source of water should be the priority. The whitish coloration suggests deposit of ground salt through evaporation of ground water on the surface.
When salt dissolves in water and moves together with the water to the surface, the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 12:03pm On Dec 12, 2019
Hi vboss,

Normally for a bungalow you DO NOT need columns.....
The issues I see with your construction are:

1. Foundation is too shallow (normally for such, it should be raft, concrete beam)

2. The block setting at 5 courses above ground - is too high (with no column, ground beam, deep foundation or tie beam etc)

3. Get someone else to supervise the job, better now than later

4. for parapet, you can use polystyrene parapets - it is light weight and would not stress the structure, see >> https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene

Goodluck...

cc: Bankyshinani

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by klark3: 12:03pm On Dec 12, 2019
saydfact:

something is wrong already - even without columns (THIS MIGHT COLLAPSE)
See link for reason >> https://www.nairaland.com/5002180/what-did-he-wrong-why

at this stage, your structure looks just like his....... (NOTE: not having columns is not the issue yet, thats another)
I went through the thread link u posted
Does this not more than five courses of blocks counting starts from the foundation trench or ground level? I asked because recommended depth for a duplex is up to 900mm and that will definitely swallow more than 5 courses of block to DPC level and I don't see engineers doing ground beam on all duplex. Thanks.

Cc rotech77 segzy14 et al
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2019
klark3:

Does this not more than five courses of blocks counting starts from the foundation trench or ground level? I asked because recommended depth for a duplex is up to 900mm and that will definitely swallow more than 5 courses of block to DPC level and I don't see engineers doing ground beam on all duplex. Thanks.

The problem wasn't the number of blocks buried....

The issue is the number of blocks exposed above G.L (ground level)....

After filling, and rain fall - the pressure on the inside didn't have a counter force on the outside, so the foundation (block above ground) gave way...

IF, i.e IF you dig 900mm and have 4 courses of block in the ground, there is no issue cos its in the ground. WHAT MATTERS IS WHAT'S ABOVE GROUND

If you must have more than 3or4 courses above, then columns, tie-beam, ground beam MUST be introduced..... tie-beam here refers to a beam on all the blockwork round b4 German floor, while ground beam (as used) is concrete raft.

Goodluck

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vboss(m): 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2019
saydfact:

something is wrong already - even without columns (THIS MIGHT COLLAPSE)
See link for reason >> https://www.nairaland.com/5002180/what-did-he-wrong-why

at this stage, your structure looks just like his....... (NOTE: not having columns is not the issue yet, thats another)

Thanks Boss for the Reply and the advice, I will talk to the engineer and make sure to impose what I want.

If possible Please I would love to see a picture displaying what I should... Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by vboss(m): 12:49pm On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

Oh really, are you doing a parapet?? I'm scared already o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 12:57pm On Dec 12, 2019
diordaves:

Try post pictures but if the cracks are occuring by the windows as you said, it may be your lintel work. Your lintel might be too short that is if you've done the lintel.

Post the pictures for a better diagnosis.
I have been unable to upload pxc since long ago hence I won't be able to do that. therefore, the crack has nothing doing with lintel has the building is chained round and the crack occur where the window bottom down to foundation blocks.

thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 1:30pm On Dec 12, 2019
vboss:

Oh really, are you doing a parapet?? I'm scared already o
I think I won't do the parapet again
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 1:44pm On Dec 12, 2019
gbadexy:

Determining the source of water should be the priority. The whitish coloration suggests deposit of ground salt through evaporation of ground water on the surface.
When salt dissolves in water and moves together with the water to the surface, the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind.
i guess the cause is the ground water because I could see the dampness of the part of wall slightly above the floor
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 2:10pm On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

i guess the cause is the ground water because I could see the dampness of the part of wall slightly above the floor
Alright sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:13pm On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

Why problems here and there theses days.
My observation is that all those people you called engr handling your project are not engr, it’s shows in them according to what you people said concerned there approaches. They are BRICKLAYERS.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2019
vboss:

Please something has been troubling my mind. I'm currently constructing a three bedroom bungalow with concrete fascia ( parapet). The seasoned engineer handling the project refused to include any pillars on the foundation, saying there is no need.

For the past 2 hours I have been going through different pages of several projects here on this section of nairaland and I cannot say I'm not scared my foundation is without any form of pillars. I don't know if it's because he used 9" blocks on all outside walls.

Please I don't want my house to collapse. Please kindly let me know if there is anything I can still do. Or if the pillars can at this point be included. I'm scared please.

I just filled the foundation with sand. That's the stage the project is at currently.

IN reference to your posted picture !

This foundation is faulty then prone to collapse

Reason: The land prone to water looking at it
from picture!
The foundation depths
Lastly the foundation heights may tends to collapse even at points of sand Filling and compacting , because the heights too much without having colomns it would be more better if u can add columns to some various points . And this should be done either you're using concrete fiscal or not !
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olazzeedris(m): 2:27pm On Dec 12, 2019
rotecch77:

Why problems here and there theses days.
My observation is that all those people you called engr handling your project are not engr, it’s shows in them according to what you people said concerned there approaches. They are BRICKLAYERS.

@ oga Rotech 77 guess you have attend to smiller case showing in your posted picture.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:46pm On Dec 12, 2019
klark3:

Duplex foundation method is diff from bungalow.
The recommended depth for duplex is 1m depth or more depends on the nature of the soil for columns (not block) and all the imposed load will depends on the columns not the blocks as that of bungalow.

The block that will go inside the ground at times for duplex is btw 2-3 block which is ( 450-675) that is for block , other block like 2-3 will remain outside (above the ground level).

The column will hold the foundation firmly, but I do introduce beam on any block above 5 courses in most of my work.

Look at this pics (I introduce beam here after 5 courses)

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 3:13pm On Dec 12, 2019
gbadexy:

Alright sir.
what is the solution to this,sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cindino20(m): 3:31pm On Dec 12, 2019
Does anyone here know any company around Benin city or the Edo/Delta region where I can get casement windows?

If yes Kindly drop the name of the Company...

Thanks in anticipation for prompt replies.

Hint: I am asking for companies as against people who fabricate it along the road to ensure quality and avoid issues with non delivery of job after payment.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 4:02pm On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

what is the solution to this,sir?
You may do concrete floor slightly sloping away from the building in the compound to minimize rain water saturation of the ground.
The pros in the house can give more useful suggestions on what can hopefully be done if waterproof barrier wasn't done at the foundation stage.
Is the area a sand filled place?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bankyshinani(m): 4:32pm On Dec 12, 2019
gbadexy:

You may do concrete floor slightly sloping away from the building in the compound to minimize rain water saturation of the ground.
The pros in the house can give more useful suggestions on what can hopefully be done if waterproof barrier wasn't done at the foundation stage.
Is the area a sand filled place?
i dont know if it is sand-filled..it is a rented apartment
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:06pm On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

i dont know if it is sand-filled..it is a rented apartment
OK sir, I was wondering if the ground is perpetually prone to damp.
You may have your bricklayer use waterproof cement mixed with paint to screed the wall like he suggested and do the concrete floor if it's not done if you are willing to do so.
On other matter, my instagram handle is regalaic where I try to post ongoing projects as a backup.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 6:49pm On Dec 12, 2019
rotecch77:

Duplex foundation method is diff from bungalow.
The recommended depth for duplex is 1m depth or more depends on the nature of the soil for columns (not block) and all the imposed load will depends on the columns not the blocks as that of bungalow.

The block that will go inside the ground at times for duplex is btw 2-3 block which is ( 450-675) that is for block , other block like 2-3 will remain outside (above the ground level).

The column will hold the foundation firmly, but I do introduce beam on any block above 5 courses in most of my work.

Look at this pics (I introduce beam here after 5 courses)

I beg to differ with some of this explanation... Foundation depth is subject to nature of the soil... With this analogy, one can't build on a hill or Rocky mountains without blasting which isn't so... Again, imposed loads are live loads, so your dead load also matters... Gk most times is always greater than Qk... The minimum depth recommended in all foundation engineering textbooks that I know & while I did Geotechnics is 300mm with soil B.C greater than or equal to 150KN/m²

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 6:56pm On Dec 12, 2019
Bankyshinani:

It is as a result of capillary rise... Ground water movement in the soil which causes dampness... There are a lot of Anti-damp that u can use buh most aren't that effective so take your time to look for an admixture that's tested & trusted to solve the issue

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 7:07pm On Dec 12, 2019
vboss:

1. Most people aren't engineers like somebody pointed out, they just had experience working with one & different problems might require different approach...

2. Thou, there are load bearing walls in engineering but this days, blocks are not mould to the required specifications & because of the porous nature of our country, SON isn't concerned about this things, even if they are, their staffs will probably sabotage by collecting bribe so "Worse case scenario" method of construction is being deployed

3. Stiffners otherwise known as columns which aren't heavily reinforced (Our firm Definition) should be deployed at strategic points which gives the frame structure the required stiffness, rigidity, strength & balance that's required... Even if it is going to be at large intervals to support the fascia which will b accompanied by a roof beam

4. Conclusion: If the blocks are solid & could withstand the load, you can do the fascia or better still, introduce Stiffners at strategic joints & hinges

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:25pm On Dec 12, 2019
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:45pm On Dec 12, 2019
Hajivince:

I beg to differ with some of this explanation... Foundation depth is subject to nature of the soil... With this analogy, one can't build on a hill or Rocky mountains without blasting which isn't so... Again, imposed loads are live loads, so your dead load also matters... Gk most times is always greater than Qk... The minimum depth recommended in all foundation engineering textbooks that I know & while I did Geotechnics is 300mm with soil B.C greater than or equal to 150KN/m²

Go back an read my post again

(1) (2) (3) ... (1272) (1273) (1274) (1275) (1276) (1277) (1278) ... (3667) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.