Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1497) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4430444 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excuzeme: 12:12am On Aug 03, 2020
diordaves:

I don't think it's the foundation as suggested by some. The problem is obviously the lintel. The lintel failed at that point.

Solution: join the balcony lintel with the window lintel or cast a column at that point between the balcony lintel and the window lintel. It's not a big problem.

Don't fall for over diagnosis and make a mole out of an ant hill and then waste so much money for nothing. It is a bungalow. For a bungalow, your foundation should be adequate for the most situation. If the crack is ONLY the point you showed, your foundation is fine.

What probably happened is during natural settlement. ALL built (foundation) settle evenly after a certain time. But with your project, the during the settlement, that point failed because of the block quality and block joint work between the balcony and the window.

Lintel is very important in a building. Badly done, you will experience crack. Not all cracks are foundation caused. More cracks are caused by poor lintel than by foundation. I've noticed in Nigeria we tend not to be aware of the importance of lintel work.

There is no foundation in that building, that can withstand the effect of swamp land and a river flowing just a few feet from it.
It he had a good foundation, the lower part of the building wont be sucking up water and be wet the way it is.
Look closely at the lower part of that building and you will see what l am talking about. undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 12:15am On Aug 03, 2020
mufutau55:

I already guessed he is not in any Issolation Center.
Isolation in always at Imo. The guy wey dey login and check his post here at night.
The Client need to use some iron hand with him.
Get some SARS to go after him, N3m not be chicken-change o.

Hajji M.

This is one of the reason why the idea of compiling "trusted" suppliers might not be a good idea.

Some people have transacted business with hslbroker successfully many times but here we are!!!

I really hope he didn't abscond with people's money, close to $10k??

Forget about covid, I would track him down with my hazmat suit..

This is just heart breaking!!,

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:22am On Aug 03, 2020
Badgers14:

Tell me o. N3m is not a chicken-change o.
I will hunt him from here to eternity.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excuzeme: 12:35am On Aug 03, 2020
mufutau55:

Yes. You can surely use sand dug from your soak-away to fill your foundation.
No problem, that is what everybody uses it for, and just add laterite from other place to it.

Hajji M.

It depends on the kind of environment, which also dictates the kind of sand!
If it is a dry land with dug-out laterite, that is okay to use

If it is in a swampy area with that brackish, decomposing mangrove swamp type of mud that is made up of decaying mangrove leaves and stumps, better avoid using that because it will continue to decay over time, creating voids in your foundation, with the result that your foundation will likely crack in no distant future.
Any sand that contains decaying, vegetable matter, is not good for sand-filling

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excuzeme: 12:47am On Aug 03, 2020
Adequate459:
Please,Is it advisable to use 12mm steel for gate pillar.

No, use 16mm.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 12:52am On Aug 03, 2020
coldcandy:
Somebody was so emphatic abt the hsl guy being in isolation center. He even showed us pics of lovely windows. Could he be fronting for him? N3m no be beans ooo.

You’ll be surprised at all sorts of shenanigans that we’ve seen here over half a decade grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:02am On Aug 03, 2020
Badgers14:

This is one of the reason why the idea of compiling "trusted" suppliers might not be a good idea.

Some people have transacted business with hslbroker successfully many times but here we are!!!

I say this with all due respect, the idea of a safe list is most ridiculous and unwise.

Some good guys have gone rogue on here. And those are the ones we read about. Many sordid issues were sorted offline that we never heard about. I have heard from a few diasporans who were duped but took their lumps and simply moved on. Some of the alleged duper’s are sons of the soil of this section,

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abbyrose: 1:17am On Aug 03, 2020
@smallsmall

Thanks, I discarded him immediately and even blocked him on my WhatsApp.I will get in touch with Sadyfact and remember your advice, one good turn deserves another for sure.

That is shameful!
We even give people DIT experience here, for free, just to assist you start something.
Toss him away like a used tissue. Barawo-banza.
Once you see people saying contact me privately, for something they can say here and now, be wary of them.
Someone like @Sadyfact will assist you.
And please do remember those that assist you, if you want to give out a job.
A friend in need, is a friend in deed.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excuzeme: 1:21am On Aug 03, 2020
Focusmind:

Please no body contacted me to launder any image, neither am I here to hold briefs for anybody. I gave my story and that is it. If you feel that you people have an unfinished business, get across to him. I got back to him and saw that my work had progressed against my initial thought.

Please follow up with him if you have any issue. My thinking is that this kind of things are common with artisans.

So, will it not be proper for you to raise this issue with him, since it appears you are speaking or holding brief for him, with yoru good references about him?
You have to go the whole hog, if you want others to beleive you are not ding an image laundering for him.
The fact that he did your job is not enough proof to exonerate him, he is sitting on someones #3M, whether in a Covid centre or in a five star Hotel.
If you can contact him and he can respond to someone setup by the victim, then he can also respond to the victim's accusation or tranfer his money back to him

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excuzeme: 2:26am On Aug 03, 2020
coldcandy:
Somebody was so emphatic abt the hsl guy being in isolation center. He even showed us pics of lovely windows. Could he be fronting for him? N3m no be beans ooo.

You Smart die~! grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:39am On Aug 03, 2020
Excuzeme:

It depends on the kind of environment, which also dictates the kind of sand!
If it is a dry land with dug-out laterite, that is okay to use

If it is in a swampy area with that brackish, decomposing mangrove swamp type of mud that is made up of decaying mangrove leaves and stumps, better avoid using that because it will continue to decay over time, creating voids in your foundation, with the result that your foundation will likely crack in no distant future.
Any sand that contains decaying, vegetable matter, is not good for sand-filling

Of course you are right. We are assuming the normal sand not those mangrove swampy potopoto sand o.
Thanks for more clarifications.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:42am On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I say this with all due respect, the idea of a safe list is most ridiculous and unwise.

Some good guys have gone rogue on here. And those are the ones we read about. Many sordid issues were sorted offline that we never heard about. I have heard from a few diasporans who were duped but took their lumps and simply moved on. Some of the alleged duper’s are sons of the soil of this section,

I agreed with you totally.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SoldierPikin: 5:29am On Aug 03, 2020
Please, I need sand and broken concrete removed from my site in Kubwa, Abuja. Anyone who can do this can get in touch.
I need people who are well-referenced on this site.
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SoldierPikin: 5:31am On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Buyer and service provider reviews can capture the essence of these transactions.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 6:30am On Aug 03, 2020
SoldierPikin:
Please, I need sand and broken concrete removed from my site in Kubwa, Abuja. Anyone who can do this can get in touch.
I need people who are well-referenced on this site.
Thanks.

Just imagine! A clear scenario of "one man's meat is another's poison"... Exactly what I need to fill and level my site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:38am On Aug 03, 2020
rotecch77:

The 1st drawing can’t work that way,if tank A filled up it can’t enter tank B bcs both tank have the inlet at same level.
The best for that system is for the both tank to supply each other from the bottom inlet.

See attached pics for that

Now if the system is for commercial for diff tenant then the second diagram (see attached pics) will be perfect for such.

Their will be a valve from the bore hole or from the municipal pipe into the two tank through only one pipe line then you will separate the pipe into each tank with valve on each branch, then if mr A need to pump water he will shot off MR B tank supply valve same applicable to Mr B if he needs water vise-visa. More so both can open the valve at a go to have water from the main source

Good advice. A valve at the borehole end is the way to go.

I have a 2 tank setup with a valve at the borehole end.

Tank A is for the building (bath, kitchen etc) and the Tank B serves the water need in the compound (car wash, sprinkler and other uses).

The Tank A is large enough to meet the daily needs of the property and we had 2 taps outside the building to use in case tank B is out of water.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:00am On Aug 03, 2020
SoldierPikin:

Buyer and service provider reviews can capture the essence of these transactions.

Like the buyer that came to post glowing reviews about HSLBroker and how he’s in a coma? grin

Do you know how many people on this thread have been caught with numerous alternative userids over the years?

I laugh in Swahili.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:43am On Aug 03, 2020
SoldierPikin:

Perhaps if we could have some kind of escrow service powered by seun on nairaland or partner with jumia that could help.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:46am On Aug 03, 2020
LastWeek1:
Hi house. Installing of Heat Extractor (Hood Range) to the kitchen,Is Boring hole to the wall necessary or not; and which one of better?

Regards

Boring hole is a must because the heat should be extracted out. You need to pipe it out using 75mm PVC pipe.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:50am On Aug 03, 2020
gbadexy:

Perhaps if we could have some kind of escrow service powered by seun on nairaland or partner with jumia that could help.

The issue here is that most of the artisans that I’ve run into don’t have financial facilities to do a job before being paid which negates the idea of an escrow.

So if I pay N100K into escrow for painting my house hippopotamus yellow. As it is now they’ll ask me for advance abi. Is the advance coming from the escrow? If so and they painted my house agama agama pink, who is the looser? Am I not out of the advanced money?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:51am On Aug 03, 2020
raymondFirstborn:

I have been in contact with ibibioson , who is a client in diaspora.
I prepared the BOQ of the said project. From my investigation so far, HSL BROKER, is not in any isolation center. He has absconded with my clients N3m and is using COVID19 to buy time.
We have told him to provide the location of the Isolation center to verify his claim. But he is yet to respond.
It's been a month now, stories upon stories.

Very sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:04am On Aug 03, 2020
People should take personal responsibility to do due diligence on a potential vendor and protect themselves from the risk of default.

All this talk of creating a list "of verified" contractors is still you relying on someone else to do the vetting for you. Take personal responsibility!

NL is a good place to source and initiate the convo,but once the transaction eventually moves offline (as expected) then you should treat every transaction like you would with any other vendor you meet on the street.

IMO, some of the factors that contribute to these cases are:

1/ Anonymity: Some clients want to stay fully anonymous and still do transactions. This sets you up to be taken advantage of by shady contractors.

2/ Seems people are getting carried away when they hear others (especially diaspora folks) saying they did transactions worth XYZ millions with ABC remotely without meeting them in person. While this is a great attestation to the parties involved, it should not be seen as a badge of honor that you also want to cop.

If you can; meet the person, know their office/shop/biz location, check them up at other work locations,meet their workers, send your rep if you have to or you are not available or you want to be anon.

It is your money, don't do follow follow.

P.S: I have done multiple transactions anonymously with NL service providers but always ensured adequate risk mitigation at all times. All satisfactory services received, if any issues does arise (hopefully not) I won't be relying on NL intervention alone cos I will already have all i need offline.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:11am On Aug 03, 2020
I still can't get the person involved with HSLBroker about the sum of N3m, i hv never come in contact with him in person but the person is not alone here, we will make sure you get justice to it, if he had not communicated with you, that is not professional of him.

I am a vendor, i hv handle delivery & supervision over 10m from a client, but some delivery failed its part of the problem we face in carring out services, sometimes ago despite done transaction with abulwastex i hv a failed delivery, he call for immediate refund not that i can refund but fund stock a NL here paid less 150k on my behalf because he also is part of where fund is stock.

On behalf of the integrity of the forum, i assure you will receive justice. HSLBroker can not & will never abscond with your fund. when him no be witch, snake or Gorilla like in our political context.

Pls bear with him on the delay
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:19am On Aug 03, 2020
I will not be in a party to nail or destroy anybody, but Engineer, Homeowners, DIY Vendors non is perfect, we all build relationships on trust but where it fail we should learn to manage it and still carry on. "Person we dey do you good before if smtin happen no means say him no fit do you good again"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:21am On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

The issue here is that most of the artisans that I’ve run into don’t have financial facilities to do a job before being paid which negates the idea of an escrow.

So if I pay N100K into escrow for painting my house hippopotamus yellow. As it is now they’ll ask me for advance abi. Is the advance coming from the escrow? If so and they painted my house agama agama pink, who is the looser? Am I not out of the advanced money?
I think artisans doing labor work are easier to deal with as they can be paid bit by bit as they work.
Like any other transaction, there's a way you confirm what you are paying for in physical transactions. You couldn't ask for a white paint to be used and yellow is used. There must have been an agreement between both parties and if the contractor does contrary to that, he bears the cost of correction.
My Idea of the escrow is the full supply is made with the assurance the money is accessible once completed and not drawing advance out of it before completion.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:29am On Aug 03, 2020
Thanks but never mind.
I looked up your posts and didn't find anything on doors, other than the occasional posts but still no pictures.

At best, it would seem that's a side gig or maybe not your core biz. I may be wrong tho. I will need something more focused as it is wooden doors we need.
Already speaking to some of the people that displayed their work here.

babeline:
What type of doors are you looking at getting? I have MDF & Hardwood doors for sale. Chinese, American & turkey. Also German doors. How do I contact you to send sample you pictures?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 8:51am On Aug 03, 2020
megacontrol:
Thanks but never mind.
I looked up your posts and didn't find anything on doors, other than the occasional posts but still no pictures.

At best, it would seem that's a side gig or maybe not your core biz. I may be wrong tho. I will need something more focused as it is wooden doors we need.

Checkout @Person2person, he has nice doors.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 8:55am On Aug 03, 2020
LastWeek1:
Hi house. Installing of Heat Extractor (Hood Range) to the kitchen,Is Boring hole to the wall necessary or not; and which one of better?

Regards

your choice of hood will determine if you are boring hole or not

there are ducted hood and ductless hood, you will need to bore hole for the ducted hood while there won't be any need for hole for the ductless hood.

the ductless hood has a charcoal filter which may need periodic replacement (may be once in a year).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 8:57am On Aug 03, 2020
saydfact:

Use between 3300mm to 3900mm
11ft to 13ft

Goodluck
Sorry to bother you Sir. Please to what extent would this 13ft affect the estimated measurement of 384.9mts that @perfecttouchade gave me up there?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 03, 2020
I just recently started commenting & posting here again after a few years break and my first posts since then where about houses for sale (as I was advised) which is actually my side gig & not the door business (which is the main thing I do). So don't be quick to judge. Someone here advised me to open a thread for the doors so the pictures will be seen, & I will do just that. Hope you check it out.

Thank you

megacontrol:
Thanks but never mind.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 10:18am On Aug 03, 2020
MrOkenwa:

Sorry to bother you Sir. Please to what extent would this 13ft affect the estimated measurement of 384.9mts that @perfecttouchade gave me up there?

I do not know the parameters he used - BUT the higher the more wood and roofing sheet required.... by my rough estimates, i also got 383m2 - I doubt it would be much different thou.

cc: perfecttouchade

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.