Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1756) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4401594 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1753) (1754) (1755) (1756) (1757) (1758) (1759) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 3:11pm On Nov 15, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Diasporas on board, please read the bolded twice and memorize it.

The I know like me share the ideology that we invest in and live in Nigeria while consuming in Nigeria. The only ones I know that are making a killing are those that strictly come in to harvest raw materials. They’re not building factories or warehouses or dealing with staff. Come in grab exotic trees and natural resources and split.

And please don’t be sweet talked while sitting in the abroad. Come home and sweat with us for a few months to get the lay of the land. Then decide what investment that you want to get involved in.
Hian, come home and sweat it, mba, I am ok here on Mount Everest where I currently reside on top of the highest Mountain in the world, let me continue with my fresh fish pepper soup ontop this mountain with the snow and angel's that visit me daily, Lol but I agree with your post though grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jaytime(m): 3:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
topsy23:

Boss, the electrical piping has not been done and you have plastered the wall. Are you doing a surface wiring?

This is not my project. I'm into Decoration, not building Engineering.
But I see no reason why you would just look at a single picture of a room (roof for that matter) and just conclude that they've not done electrical piping.
FYI they've done piping in there, it's only cables they haven't run yet. Discrediting anything just because it relates to one's area of expertise is not the best way to sell one's self.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 3:31pm On Nov 15, 2020
jaytime:

FYI they've done piping in there, it's only cables they haven't run yet. Discrediting anything just because it relates to one's area of expertise is not the best way to sell one's self.

I missed any 'discrediting' in the original question. It was perfectly poised and many of us were similarly curious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:31pm On Nov 15, 2020
jaytime:

This is not my project. I'm into Decoration, not building Engineering.
But I see no reason why you would just look at a single picture of a room (roof for that matter) and just conclude that they've not done electrical piping.

I am not condemning the work. Just trying to point out observation.. Sorry if what I said was wrong

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:38pm On Nov 15, 2020
Temi1:
Hello Builders,

I have an ongoing project in Arepo ready for decking. I need a competent engineer to handle the decking. Also what would be the costs / quantities of materials needed to do the decking?
60tons Granite @₦195,000/30tons
Sharp sand 60tons ₦90,000/30tons
Iron Rod 6tons @₦295k/tons(TMT)
Cement 200bags @₦3200/bag
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jaytime(m): 3:42pm On Nov 15, 2020
jabolo:

I missed any 'discrediting' in the original question. It was perfectly poised and many of us were similarly curious.

If one cared to look at this picture, 2 conduit pipes are popping right there out of the wall into the roof space waiting for cabling.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 3:46pm On Nov 15, 2020
michlins:
good evening sir and thanks for your enquiry. The cost of the rails per meter is #33,000. Kindly note that everything on it is wrought iron just like he requested.

Attached is the final product. First one is the rails with anti rust paint and the other two are the final product. He chose the color and that didn't allow me to play with it.

Glad to know it came out nice.

What difference will the price be if it is made with iron steel bars and not wrought iron? The latter material is quite expensive.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:50pm On Nov 15, 2020
Focusmind:

Good write up. But note that there is no magic in exchange rate management. There is a limit to what the government could do. The country is simply not productive enough. Nigeria's export potential is simply not enough to earn her foreign exchange.

When you are an export economy, you will have sufficient hard currencies to support your own local currency. Nigeria doesn't have that, and the forces of demand and supply will continue to weigh down on Naira, thus making it weaker and weaker. Government won't perform any magic. Simple!

That's why you hear Government say they are defending Naira from their external reserve. The citizens and companies should be able to export goods and earn foreign exchange, which they will exchange back to local currencies for their operations, thus increasing the value of Naira.

"Government won't do any magic" is a worn out tired, old excuse. Government all over the world manage their exchange rate mechanism successfully.

You mentioned firms should export to generate foreign exchange which would eventually support the Naira. What you are saying is that firms should gain competitive advantage over foreign firms to be able to export.

However, to be productive and competitive, firms need to import machinery and spare parts and even raw materials for production. But firms cannot do this if the exchange rate is so prohibitive. Even firms with high local content like the cement companies still need to import machinery and spare parts for production.

So if the dollar exchange rate is high, the factory price of cement will reflect the dollar price. This is what is going on with Dangote cement and other cement companies.

We can't run away from a poor exchange rate regime. This is stiffling productivity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jaytime(m): 3:52pm On Nov 15, 2020
topsy23:

I am not condemning the work. Just trying to point out observation.. Sorry if what I said was wrong
Observe better next time so it's not misconstrued to mean condemnation.
More prove that there are pipes there��.
This is a hotel, the engineer couldn't have afford to make such blonder.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:01pm On Nov 15, 2020
jaytime:

Observe better next time so it's not misconstrued to mean condemnation.
More prove that there are pipes there��.
This is a hotel, the engineer couldn't have afford to make such blonder.

Noted thanks

E ma binu

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 4:05pm On Nov 15, 2020
jaytime:

If one cared to look at this picture, 2 conduit pipes are popping right there out of the wall into the roof space waiting for cabling.

Easily missed the first time but thanks for taking time to point it out again. Peace.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jaytime(m): 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2020
No wahala.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 5:42pm On Nov 15, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/
In terms of investments, always bet against Nigeria and it is a sure win. Most people from diaspora that ventured into business in Nigeria lost big time. It is not worth the effort and time if your goal is to repatriate profits back to your country of residence. How can anyone remain sane in such chaos? If you have any sentimental attachment to Nigeria, save some cash and go in there to enjoy yourself and leave.

/
Repatriating
I will speak from my business(Trucking) point of view. Not all businesses fail in this accept.
Take for example you invest:
Brand new truck @$54,800(including clearing)
Monthly return after running cost is ₦1.4m equivalent is $2,979
In 1year $2,979x12months= $35,748
In 2years $35,748x24months= $71,496
Therefore in 2years you repatriate $16,696, whiie you have actually recoup your investment another 1year you repatriate $35,748.
Making a total of $52,444 in 3years

For used Truck
@$31,255(including clearing)
Monthly return after running cost is ₦1.2m equivalent is $2,553
In 1year $2,553x12months= $30,638
In 2years $30,638x24months= $61,276
Therefore in 2years you will repatriate $30,021

NB. Breakdown was done with ₦470 to $1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Katilo: 5:56pm On Nov 15, 2020
Dear all, I have a property measuring 253 sq.mtrs already roofed. How much will it cost to do the pop? Also I would like to know the cost estimate to construct a standard soakaway for the property. Thanks.

An astute thought.

So I'm still debating doing my build with 6" blocks on the exterior and using steel studs on that part facing inside and the entire interior partition. We have steel studs here in Nigeria and a Nairalander uses it a lot to do fancy wall work.

The thing is the cost factor. I am working out a spreadsheet to calculate all of this. I just haven't been able to get the cost of steel studs as well as the installation though I can supervise that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agoro2u: 6:26pm On Nov 15, 2020
jaytime:
Sales and installation

Pls how much is this?
What is the measurements?
How many pieces of this will I need to cover 12X12ft room?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:32pm On Nov 15, 2020
Xtopher123:

Structural engineers are not Builders.

There are people who are certified BUILDERS who have undergone the training of understanding complex building construction methodologies and can read and translate specifications of most industry consultants.

The structural engineers job is to design the structural system of the building with all systems specified leaving no room for THINKING and assumption on-site. Their job is to supervise the BUILDER to make sure they're building according to their specification.

Errrm. My point is that if you're building in Lekki you cant afford not to have a structural Engr on the team.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jaytime(m): 7:37pm On Nov 15, 2020
agoro2u:

Pls how much is this?
What is the measurements?
How many pieces of this will I need to cover 12X12ft room?
36 of it covers a 12x12 room.
And that will cost N56k for materials and labour.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 7:39pm On Nov 15, 2020
For the soak away, your location will determine the cost. That's exactly what's on my building schedule this new week, the total cost given to me by two different persons are a little less than 200k but I budgeted 200k (workmanship inclusive but excluding any form of piping or accessories).
This is for a 10ft x 7ft x 7ft (L*B*H) capacity.

Katilo:
Dear all, I have a property measuring 253 sq.mtrs already roofed. How much will it cost to do the pop? Also I would like to know the cost estimate to construct a standard soakaway for the property. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 7:58pm On Nov 15, 2020
diordaves:

"Government won't do any magic" is a worn out tired, old excuse. Government all over the world manage their exchange rate mechanism successfully.

You mentioned firms should export to generate foreign exchange which would eventually support the Naira. What you are saying is that firms should gain competitive advantage over foreign firms to be able to export.

However, to be productive and competitive, firms need to import machinery and spare parts and even raw materials for production. But firms cannot do this if the exchange rate is so prohibitive. Even firms with high local content like the cement companies still need to import machinery and spare parts for production.

So if the dollar exchange rate is high, the factory price of cement will reflect the dollar price. This is what is going on with Dangote cement and other cement companies.

We can't run away from a poor exchange rate regime. This is stiffling productivity.

Ok. You win!! But still note that we practically import everything in Nigeria. Government's management of exchange rate is not sustainable by all standard of economics. Just imagine what will happen to naira when we stop importing fuel.Without government intervention, you will see market forces in action. Naira will appreciate immediately.Up to 55% FX demand from CBN is for fuel importation.

Imagine what will happen to naira when we stop importing some of the food items we could produce here. My brother, forces of demand and supply will continue to affect the value of naira. For how long will the government continue to sustain and support naira from depreciating further? Using their strategic reserve which is fast depleting?

Bro, we need to be productive, export more, consume more of what we produce, import less of what we produce and avoid wastages in governance. Government intervention in the management of exchange rate regime is never a sustainable policy.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:01pm On Nov 15, 2020
Chekitaut:
Repatriating
I will speak from my business(Trucking) point of view. Not all businesses fail in this accept.
Therefore in 2years you repatriate $16,696, whiie you have actually recoup your investment another 1year you repatriate $35,748.

For used Truck

I have for long run Trucking & Granite on dollar.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
Chekitaut:
I have for long run Trucking & Granite on dollar.
Realy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:41pm On Nov 15, 2020
Chekitaut:
Repatriating

For used Truck

Your analysis sound good on paper, in practical term there are a lot of on for seen forces that mostly make it difficult to run businesses in Nigeria. There is a lot of opportunities to make money if only the environment was less vexing, we the people should be sincere to ourselves in most of the dealing that we do, plus the government is not helping the situation.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by superbouck(m): 8:57pm On Nov 15, 2020
Pls how much is 400mm and 600mm tiles
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by superbouck(m): 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2020
I need services of POP Man at Egbeda Ibadan

call 08053125520
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2020
kopell:
Your analysis sound good on paper, in practical term there are a lot of on for seen forces that mostly make it difficult to run businesses in Nigeria. There is a lot of opportunities to make money if only the environment was less vexing, we the people should be sincere to ourselves in most of the dealing that we do, plus the government is not helping the situation.
All unforseen is taking care of in the running cost.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
superbouck:

call 08053125520

Cc: Dominion
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Muyi002(m): 9:51pm On Nov 15, 2020
Hello Tiles Guru,

Please I need information on the number of bags of cement that will cover per sqm for

1. Floor tiles
2. Wall tiles

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:27pm On Nov 15, 2020
kopell:

grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 10:38pm On Nov 15, 2020
superbouck:

call 08053125520

cc: dominionng.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2020
Chekitaut:
Repatriating

For used Truck

/
There are bound to be exceptions. That’s why I said “most people”. Your calculations are enticing...until an investor buys a truck. Then stories go enter am.

/

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2020
I always wonder whenever I see old people age range 50-70yrs living happily in this Nigeria, I feel like "how do they manage to make it work"! angry
One4me:

If it is 'a share' they are after, maybe that can be arraigned but you will be shocked to hear that the moment you start your Refuse Management Company, one 'Big Man Politician' from somewhere will suddenly realise you are making money from it and then decide to use his children or a front to setup a sham Refuse management Company and INSIST that ONLY THAT COMPANY can do refuse Management Business in that state, and your Company is ruined.

I have seen things like this happen a lot, let me share my own experience.
I once submitted a complete, packaged and fully funded proposal to Govt, the DG said Govt is not ready because there is no fund, three months down the line, l saw another company doing exactly the same project but like an amateur (infact, you could easily see that they dont have the knowledge at all) and when l checked their Registration details at CAC, l saw that the company was registered about three weeks after l met the DG of the Govt Agency, with my proposals and when l dug further, l realised it was the same Agency that was sponsoring the Project. That really got me annoyed and l went to do further search on the Project Manager, found out that it was the Cousin of the DG who is not even a graduate nor knowledgeable in that field.
Long story, cut short, l petitioned and wanted to go to Court but my Lawyer, after contact with their legal dept, made it clear to me that under our laws, the Agency has the right to determine who it gave jobs to and when it initiates any contract and that since l dont have a 'Patent' over the technology, l cannot claim that no one else can implement it!
But in essence, the DG stole my project, gave it to his Cousin to implement at over ten times what it would have ordinarily cost and TODAY, the project is dead and money is gone. By the way, Armed Robbers came knocking on my door for the first and only time in my life, around that period but they did not steal anything, just fired shots into the house and left. Friends told me it was a "warning shot" from those l am dragging issues with.
I just gave up on Nigeria, its not worth dying for. Too violent, too dangerous and too risky for normal humanbeings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 11:03pm On Nov 15, 2020
Sounds fantastic on paper...until reality hits hard...was born in trucking business...something i grew up before I packed my bags for greener pastures elsewhere...still ongoing in family although now company haulage only..
Until they need engine rebuild....get into accident/s...hit someone....rainy season which are normally off peak periods... falls off ditch.....there are quite alot unfortunate circumstances which comes with all business...biggest hurdles are Government policies can change any day without any consultation.....

Chekitaut:
Repatriating

For used Truck

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1753) (1754) (1755) (1756) (1757) (1758) (1759) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.