Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1894) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391906 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1891) (1892) (1893) (1894) (1895) (1896) (1897) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 7:38pm On Jan 04, 2021
spyder880:

I am owing Michlins jobs, I know I have welders but I can't wait to give him something big to do for us in a site soon. The guy has impressed me.

Nice of you Spyder. I wished he was in Lagos. I would have engaged him when the time comes.

Keep it up. It is good to encourage those that are determined and hungry for success.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:48pm On Jan 04, 2021
megacontrol:
I fear who no fear you oh!

I dove my hat for you, man. You know how to piece it all together to get the point home.

...but you had your hands full. It was an herculean task to get hold of you and get you to consult.

That is one thing i think some of you experienced hands should consider more and be open to. I understand the reluctance to take on jobs mid-way but y'all should be open to call-out consultancy services as SMEs, especially for client's oversight functions irrespective of whether there is a builder on the job or not.

But yeah,it is what it is. Gracias!

In 2014, I wrote this:

brabus:

Yes but when I can do this is what I don't know. Why you may want to ask?

This is because the key to NextHomes' business model's success is in the attention to the details, creative outsourcing and collaboration. However, can I guarantee the same level of quality if a client's job is delegated? No! One person cannot possibly generate the amount of bandwidth the NextHome business model requires – I need help to serve all your needs.

Until I'm able to replicate as many Brabus as NextHome requires, our services will be limited to only clients within 3 - 5km radius of our Lekki Office.

However, if time-to-deliver is not of essence, then we game grin grin Otherwise, I'll simply let this pass!

Saying NO is never easy, but it is necessary at this moment as we are trying to maintain a high level of quality in all of our engagements. Saying YES to a client, and then doing a bad job due to lack of interest or time, is much, much worse in the long run than just saying NO.

Thank you for your interest in our service.

I hope and wish you can understand me better now. cool

Saying YES is easy grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrinceLat(m): 7:54pm On Jan 04, 2021
n3xt:

In 2014, I wrote this:

I hope and wish you can understand me better now. cool

Saying YES is easy grin

@n3xt. Is this you?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:56pm On Jan 04, 2021
PrinceLat:

@n3xt. Is this you?

cheesy grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:19pm On Jan 04, 2021
uncleteeh:

Well, I don't prefer this so called contemporary roofing styles, especially where there are parapet walls, our maintenance culture is so bitter in this country. Our climatic condition isn't very favourable for most building materials.
Besides, I hate to see the structures I design looking pale after few years.

For example, try visit Dugbe in Ibadan, there's a particular structure there that is looking so bad due to the introduction of parapet walls.

Note: parapet walls are walls that extent beyond the roofing sheet.

grin grin

Let's do this in the other room! kobocity.com

I'm for hidden flat roofs. It's such a big deal and it reveals the true creativity in an architect. Any jack can design pitched roofs, only creative minds can bring out the best in flat roofs.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:22pm On Jan 04, 2021
I did a project here few years ago, we started working on the roof right from the foundation.

That's the big difference!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sinorte: 8:26pm On Jan 04, 2021
kobocity:

IVe replies you twice but interestingly nairaland spambot has been unleashed.

All thanks to ineffective pm function.

The guy will do less than 500k. Check his contact information in my signature below.

Thank you. I'll reach out to him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:29pm On Jan 04, 2021
earthrealm:

Whats there to maintain?

There's lot. May God give me the energy and the appetite to share something on this topic. I've done a lot of these type of roof including a recent one which has a roof top garden. The client saw the design in Madrid and asked me to replicate it so we use EPDM rubber membrane due to its excellent resistance to environmental factors.

Make una ask this question on kobocity.com na

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:30pm On Jan 04, 2021
sinorte:

Thank you. I'll reach out to him.

You will? Or you have? He told me he's in talk with someone already. Well, I've told him to wow you or whoever called him grin grin

That's all I can tell you!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:52pm On Jan 04, 2021
Yay or Nay? rotech77, spyder880, timtol, abdulwastecx, KolaShangOne, saydfact (long time no hear) and others... what do you generally do?

I know most will say its the client's call but i believe there's a point where the benefits (if any) becomes insignificant and therefore the additional cost isn't justified. that's the decision point i'm looking for.

Pls feel free to chime in. any suggestions are without any liabilities so caveats are fine.

megacontrol:
Hello guys,

With the ever increasing price disparity between local and TMT iron rods, i have been wondering if paying premium for TMT rods makes any difference to concrete strength or structural integrity in general?

All things being equal, is it worth it?

What makes a concrete thick?

I am not one to fall for the psychological appeal. same way we all do Dangote cement by default but when push comes to shove we were all happy to take any brand in the market to get the job done.

If local rods will get the job done satisfactory, why pay 25-30% extra for TMT?

Again. all things being equal and standard work practices followed.

Yay or Nay?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:08pm On Jan 04, 2021
megacontrol:
Yay or Nay? rotech77, spyder880, timtol, abdulwastecx, KolaShangOne, saydfact (long time no hear) and others... what do you generally do?

I know most will say its the client's call but i believe there's a point where the benefits (if any) becomes insignificant and therefore the additional cost isn't justified. that's the decision point i'm looking for.

Pls feel free to chime in. any suggestions are without any liabilities so caveats are fine.

I take my reinforcements very seriously, although I use a lot of local brands but i might decide to improve on a structural specification if i am not sufficiently satisfied with the quality in the .market.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:18pm On Jan 04, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion.

n3xt:

I like the closing line. So far the steel you’re using meet BS8110 code specifications, you’re good!

Buy or get few samples, take it to the state materials testing laboratory to confirm if it meets approved standard.

Don’t fall for psychological appeal!

Over 1000+ iron rods from different brands used in 10 local government in Lagos state were tested in 2018 and 70% came out successful.
BS8110 code specificied of 460 N/mm2 and not the 410 N/nm2 that’s now a common practice.

Structural Engineers - over to you!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:19pm On Jan 04, 2021
Thanks chief. points noted.

spyder880:

I take my reinforcements very seriously, although I use a lot of local brands but i might decide to improve on a structural specification if i am not sufficiently satisfied with the quality in the .market.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 9:23pm On Jan 04, 2021
BuildingProject:

Like I have offended him during the festive period. Perhaps because I didn't buy him chicken. Can someone please suggest a good engineer to me to submit his own quotations or an engineer to supervise this project. Kindly contact me ASAP.
Where is your location?
WhatsApp me on 08108408732
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by taskcompleteng: 9:26pm On Jan 04, 2021
taskcompleteng:
2 plot of land at back of Shoprite monastery road lekki Ajah

Title.Global CofO

Asking 16m each

Also available same location.

5BR uncompleted buildings on a full plot

going for 30m

Title.Global CofO

For inspection and further enquiries
Call 07061960316
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by taskcompleteng: 9:27pm On Jan 04, 2021
taskcompleteng:
Toks 30Tons Howo Truck forsale

Location. Ibeju-lekki

Price: 19m

Call 07061960316

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by taskcompleteng: 9:28pm On Jan 04, 2021
30tons Howo truck is what we need

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:32pm On Jan 04, 2021
taskcompleteng:
30tons Howo truck is what we need

I know someone who have one 30 tons Howo Truck (for sale) but he’s currently looking for 100 trucks to hire.

grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Leezah(f): 10:26pm On Jan 04, 2021
rotecch77:

Yes, but at times if part of the foundation is faulty it can be re- strengthening by underpinning methods.
With this you don’t need total demolition
hmmmmmm "part" is key word here. What if it's in a water logged? does the same method apply?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:46pm On Jan 04, 2021
In 2021, y’all need to be pulling the trigger... good opportunities don’t last.

kobocity.com

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sunixasy: 11:16pm On Jan 04, 2021
Need to get your stamp concrete floor done to the best of standard contact us at sincera concrete .Call on 08163879292
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:13am On Jan 05, 2021
mountmoriah:
Hardwood available for sale payment on delivery check my signature

Wow! We want you on Kobocity.com

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 12:55am On Jan 05, 2021
earthrealm:

I dislike the high roof, and prefer contemporary roof, however this your choice of contemporary roof is too simple,.. i also dont like it.
Try using a better style of contemporary roof as in pics below.

I like contemporary roof cos of the following

1. More pleasing to the eye
2. You can install solar panels DISCREET LY ,&optimally and also solar water heater.

3. Easy to combine roof sitout
4. Cheaper than the common steep roof
/
High roofs are nice if put on the right design but because of our penchant to abuse everything, some people will put it even on a shack. There are some buildings with high roofs on them that will leave you scratching your head. And if I may quote kobocity, some architects’ choice for the height of king post is as the spirit led.

/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 12:56am On Jan 05, 2021
2021: First Day at Work

- SDGs Project nearing 90% completion
- We broke ground at Ijebu Ode Affordable Housing Project - Latogun, Ijebu Ode

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 1:04am On Jan 05, 2021
michlins:
they're uniquely skilled and inexpensive but they waste materials like mad. I have been to many site they have worked on and it's not worth it at all.

At a time it was as if they were taking over plastering jobs in this town but not anymore. Not when cement is too expensive. These people will mix two bags of cement around 5:45pm and close work around 6:10pm and they will dump the cement in any available holes they can find. If you ask them, they will tell you if you are not rich, you won't be building a new house.

The economics isn't in their favor at all
/
What happened to no mixing of cement after 5pm? And if they choose to mix without using it all, the cost will be deducted from their payments. Such warning should be handed out before giving them the job. It sounds more like a problem of poor supervision.

/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 1:16am On Jan 05, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/
High roofs are nice if put on the right design but because of our penchant to abuse everything, some people will put it even on a shack. There are some buildings with high roofs on them that will leave you scratching your head. And if I may quote kobocity, some architects’ choice for the height of king post is as the spirit led.

/

That name triggers the spambot o!

High roof is nice on small footprint. When the building is quite large, then a creative architect understands there’s need to introduce variations. This is where architects like ihebrooke comes handy.

I’ve worked with a lot of architects, ihebrooke’s work always stand out.

There are building plans and then there’s ihebrooke’s well detailed building plan. Even a novice will shine grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 1:28am On Jan 05, 2021
This is a typical example of a very lazy architect design.

It’s also called “roof plan” grin

No matter how good the builder is, the house will be very boring.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Omonjoe(m): 3:33am On Jan 05, 2021
When you can, could you pls check your email? I just emailed you now
michlins:
ok cool. I await your response when you're ready

Modified

On a second thought, I believe if you have other jobs on the said site like hand rails, window burglaries, I can come to site to take measurements myself and if after the job when I'm making delivery I can also do the standing tank if it's available
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Omonjoe(m): 3:38am On Jan 05, 2021
@dominionng, could you check your email?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1891) (1892) (1893) (1894) (1895) (1896) (1897) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dammybrite, arcike(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.