Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,811 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (214) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388278 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:13pm On May 03, 2016
skimanski:
Oboy see class dey go on here ooo.

As for me I will work everywhere ooo. Each of my site has a supervisor designated and is been paid properly. Trained and has been working for me for long. I basically don't appear in some of my sites for weeks. But my guys already know what to do. All I need is to draw out what is required and they deliver. It took me a long time to get to this but from the begining it's what I have been aiming for. I want to be able to travel overseas in future for 5 months and not worry about whether the SkiManSki legacy is still ongoing. So if I don't force my self to do it now, will never get there. Do you think the bosses in Cappa and other big construction firms visits all their sites? The answer is no. So how do we get there if we are scarred of projects. I only feel it's because some people do not want to engage the services of competent professionals and logistic officers. They want all the project profit to come to them, that's why they want to manage their projects little by little. To me that's dreaming small and not dreaming big.

First thing first. Engrave your ideology into your workers. Create a chain of command. And leave the rest to them. It's not easy I must say, but when you get there is worth it. Because all I do these days is hold my camera like photographer and just patrol around. And also travel around too. Yes for sure when I see any shoddy jobs which is inevitable I repair it and count my losses there, also scold the workers so that they learn. But one things is surpose to be for sure, I must pay them well, because money is the motivation any Nigerian needs.

You are corrcet my boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:13pm On May 03, 2016
abdulwastecx:

it is very insensitive of you to label and individual that way

The only thing the OP did was not to give facts and details.
If you can qualify or justify and support your accusations with facts and details, then it is not wrong.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:16pm On May 03, 2016
skimanski:

As for me I will work everywhere ooo. Each of my site has a supervisor designated and is been paid properly. Trained and has been working for me for long. I basically don't appear in some of my sites for weeks. But my guys already know what to do. All I need is to draw out what is required and they deliver. It took me a long time to get to this but from the begining it's what I have been aiming for. I want to be able to travel overseas in future for 5 months and not worry about whether the SkiManSki legacy is still ongoing. So if I don't force my self to do it now, will never get there. Do you think the bosses in Cappa and other big construction firms visits all their sites? The answer is no. So how do we get there if we are scarred of projects. I only feel it's because some people do not want to engage the services of competent professionals and logistic officers. They want all the project profit to come to them, that's why they want to manage their projects little by little. To me that's dreaming small and not dreaming big.

First thing first. Engrave your ideology into your workers. Create a chain of command. And leave the rest to them. It's not easy I must say, but when you get there is worth it. Because all I do these days is hold my camera like photographer and just patrol around. And also travel around too. Yes for sure when I see any shoddy jobs which is inevitable I repair it and count my losses there, also scold the workers so that they learn. But one things is surpose to be for sure, I must pay them well, because money is the motivation any Nigerian needs.

That is what I am talking about. .. when we see your job here, we know this is skimanski job in respective of who is on site.

That is where I want Harney to be next year, that to me is medium term plan,. We want to be the best residential building developer in Nigeria, that is a dream we are working towards. for now, me and my partner do lot of traveling.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 4:26pm On May 03, 2016
abdulwastecx:

That is what I am talking about. .. when we see your job here, we know this is skimanski job in respective of who is on site.

That is where I want Harney to be next year, that to me is medium term plan,. We want to be the best residential building developer in Nigeria, that is a dream we are working towards. for now, me and my partner do lot of traveling.

Trust me nothing is Impossible although building a good name is more important. keep that in mind.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 4:33pm On May 03, 2016
Bro just be patient.

mufutau55:

The only thing the OP did was not to give facts and details.
If you can qualify or justify and support your accusations with facts and details, then it is not wrong.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 4:40pm On May 03, 2016
skimanski:

I agree, I have a lot of trained workers in this country, very learned professionals and highly skilled artisans that I can close my eyes and travel, leaving the site for them. I hope to visit yankee next year if I can afford to and I don't want any of my clients to have delays just because I went on summer break grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 03, 2016
abdulwastecx:

True that.

It's one thing to talk big ideas but another to just do the damn thing and let it speak for itself.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:46pm On May 03, 2016
Onuokwu:

If you are not looking for something fancy, you can try the iron wire mesh in picture. I believe it will be cheaper, serve the same purpose and reusable in multiple situations. It goes for between N18,000 - N20,000 for a roll of 20 meters. Of course you need to factor in the galvanized pipes to fasten it to.
brabus:

I don't have any pics to show you at the moment. It's been a while since I visited that area. But it's very similar to what you posted above.
Brothers, just got a quote for the iron fence i posted earlier, damn the quote is 1.791,000. Bricks (custom) Fence is 811k. Crazy difference!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 4:50pm On May 03, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I think you will get to the top. Just remain focused and diligent as you are now. The sky will not even be your limit.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 4:51pm On May 03, 2016
Is this the final quote after bargaining?

Empiree:
Brothers, just got a quote for the iron fence i posted earlier, damn the quote is 1.791,000. Brick (custom) Fence is 811k. Crazy difference!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 4:53pm On May 03, 2016
I like to think that I like the idea of new ways of doing things, however I dont like the idea of just posting everything you see on google all in the name of marketing/packaging and not really giving the audience the full picture, things like cost/practicality (In the western world, before a product starts to market, they usually do what they call R&D, to see the practicality / ascertain warranty etc, I just see pictures here from google but no info to back it up to say that its suitable for the Nigerian market etc). I saw the other day what was termed as a medium finishing, now what would have been good is for the OP to state the estimated costs as well, so that the audience can judge if they term it low / medium / high finishing.

I have seen things like precast chambers which i thought was cool, only if i knew the cost. I have also seem lightweight paraphet as well from Abdulwastec which i thought was quite innovative. Bottom line, its nice to educate us with new creative ways / ideas / products, but think about the practicality and info on things like the cost would be good as well. Then people can be well informed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:54pm On May 03, 2016
sensegiver:
Is this the final quote after bargaining?

No, just the quote for now. There has been no negotiations so far.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 4:56pm On May 03, 2016
Bros.

Am not surprised, it could be that the galvanise is imported from Turkey. Whereas the blocks can be ordered from Baba Lati down the road and they can use 911/land rover to deliver it sharply. Just one of the VERY GOOD examples of educating the audience, new concept and backing it up with the costs, so all man can make an informed decision.

Empiree:
Brothers, just got a quote for the iron fence i posted earlier, damn the quote is 1.791,000. Bricks (custom) Fence is 811k. Crazy difference!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 4:58pm On May 03, 2016
Empiree:

Can you share the breakdown? I'm sure you can still have a plot of land done under a million.

A 3m iron fence panel using 1" square pipe with 1.5 x 4 frames can not cost you more than 20k per panel. And the perimeter is not more than 108m which means you need only 36 panel.

Do the maths! 36 panels x 20k = 720k. Add installation, transport and logistics at 10k per panel. That's 30k x 36 panels.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 5:00pm On May 03, 2016
Oga spyder880

I hail as usual.
You need that break oo, and if u decide u are going, let me know so I will ring Obama to lend you Airforce 1 grin. Much respect

spyder880:

I agree, I have a lot of trained workers in this country, very learned professionals and highly skilled artisans that I can close my eyes and travel, leaving the site for them. I hope to visit yankee next year if I can afford to and I don't want any of my clients to have delays just because I went on summer break grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:03pm On May 03, 2016
brabus:

Can you share the breakdown? I'm sure you can still have a plot of land done under a million.

A 3m iron fence panel using 1" square pipe with 2 x 4 frames can not cost you more than 20k per panel. And the perimeter is not more than 108m which means you need only 36 panel.

Do the maths! 36 panels x 20k = 720k. Add installation, transport and logistics at 10k per panel. That's 30k x 36 panels.
I didnt communicate with the dude directly. My brother got the quote from him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:07pm On May 03, 2016
brabus:

A 3m iron fence panel using 1" square pipe with 2 x 4 frames can not cost you more than 20k per panel. And the perimeter is not more than 108m which means you need only 36 panel.

Your quote here though is reasonable
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:12pm On May 03, 2016
mavverick:
Bros.

Am not surprised, it could be that the galvanise is imported from Turkey. Whereas the blocks can be ordered from Baba Lati down the road and they can use 911/land rover to deliver it sharply. Just one of the VERY GOOD examples of educating the audience, new concept and backing it up with the costs, so all man can make an informed decision.

At least I gave it a try
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:13pm On May 03, 2016
Empiree:
Your quote here though is reasonable

Not my quote o. Just an idea.

1" light pipe is N900 and you'll require 10 lengths at 150mm spacing in every 3m panel. That's just 9k. The frames and electrodes maybe another 9k.

Welder shouldn't take more than 4k per panel for welding and painting.

Thick pipe is 1300 per 18ft length but not good for outdoor installations. It rust quickly.

Now when you're doing more than 20 panels, there should be economic of scale. 1 gallon of paint can paint almost everything. 2 packets of electrodes etc. That's the area you make more savings.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sensegiver: 5:24pm On May 03, 2016
Ask him to break it down and show you how he arrived at that figure while you use Brabus's template as a guide during negotiation but take it with a pinch of salt.

you know you can also get quotes from other people or DIY.

Empiree:
No, just the quote for now. There has been no negotiations so far.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 5:27pm On May 03, 2016
You did reply to me before. But this response was much more informative. Thanks so much.

Please on average how much is it to construct a terrazzo floor. For example. The job done in the picture you posted for the school? How much was it? And if it was polished up to 3 stages how much would it have cost? I want to start saving.

KolaShangOne:

i don't know if i've replied this before.. but,
Its not a finished job..
Also, There are 3 stages in the polishing of Terrazzo. In order to minimize cost, we only do one or two stages these days..
If you can afford it, you can ask for even a 4th stage polishing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:31pm On May 03, 2016
sensegiver:

Ask him to break it down and show you how he arrived at that figure while you use Brabus's template as a guide during negotiation but take it with a pinch of salt.

you know you can also get quotes from other people or DIY.

Sure, I know.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlawoomey(m): 5:41pm On May 03, 2016
skimanski:

Spot on Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:47pm On May 03, 2016
Empiree:
My man are you sure 811k will pull that block fence for you, I don't think so. Pls tell whom ever gives you that quote, show you the cost step by step, quantity of material of every step. I can assure you at the end the job it will cost you over 1 million at the minimum. This is from experience ok.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:58pm On May 03, 2016
kopell:
My man are you sure 811k will pull that block fence for you, I don't think so. Pls tell whom ever gives you that quote, show you the cost step by step, quantity of material of every step. I can assure you at the end the job it will cost you over 1 million at the minimum. This is from experience ok.
Ok, let me throw in a little more info. This land in question is a plot and half with pre-existing neighbour's partial fence. That's discount number 1.

Besides, I have another land elsewhere in the same town which is a plot. It is this same contractor that fenced it for same quote, 811k. He told me when am ready to pay same amount for the plot and half as well. You want to see the quality job that 811k did for me?. It's even high that family members consider it waste of money. They thought i spent close to a #2m. I will show you at least 2 pix of the fence at your request.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:27pm On May 03, 2016
Empiree:
Ok, let me throw in a little more info. This land in question is a plot and half with pre-existing neighbour's partial fence. That's discount number 1.

Besides, I have another land elsewhere in the same town which is a plot. It is this same contractor that fenced it for same quote, 811k. He told me when am ready to pay same amount for the plot and half as well. You want to see the quality job that 811k did for me?. It's even high that family members consider it waste of money. They thought i spent close to a #2m. I will show you at least 2 pix of the fence at your request.
Pls where is this location if you don't mind, again let try to give full details of information that may help those that as similar plan to help them better prepare. Do the guy did the plastering @ that cost, anyway I will get in touch to see what he did. If his cost is porker friendly with good finish, then I may need his service.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:46pm On May 03, 2016
kopell:
Pls where is this location if you don't mind,
Somewhere in Ogun state

Do the guy did the plastering @ that cost,
Excluded

anyway I will get in touch to see what he did.
See attachment.

If his cost is porker friendly with good finish, then I may need his service.
that's good

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 03, 2016
Empiree:
Somewhere in Ogun state

Excluded

See attachment.

that's good

This looks very good Chief, well done.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:02pm On May 03, 2016
erico2k2:

I think the 4 coach window is perfect in the Nigerian context,that's what i call window height lol

I agree.

My architect drew 2 coaches but my builder decided to do 4 for security on the padlock chicken coop.

I'm going to insist on 2 coaches though for the main house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:15pm On May 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I agree.

My architect drew 2 coaches but my builder decided to do 4 for security on the padlock chicken coop.

I'm going to insist on 2 coaches though for the main house.
yeh, but two coaches for bungalow in Nigeria, bro I don't think so,
What will be the ground clearance between your lower window seal and the floor of your yard? that will be like two feet right?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:20pm On May 03, 2016
erico2k2:

yeh, but two coaches for bungalow in Nigeria, bro I don't think so,
What will be the ground clearance between your lower window seal and the floor of your yard? that will be like two feet right?

With the height of his foundation, 2 coaches from the floor will be a perfect window.

Below is the picture of a house with two coaches from foundation.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:29pm On May 03, 2016
Empiree:
Somewhere in Ogun state

Excluded

See attachment.

that's good
Wow look very good, when was this job done.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.