Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,931 members, 7,863,292 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:37 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (235) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506695 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 7:44am On May 18, 2016
Nigerians !!! If you still take all these men to the site without being there . They will do same thing . We'll it's my property and I think I have getting what I need . I will contact who I need to contact at the right time . God bless everyone . Na dpc carry me waka come . I hope lastma doesn't arrest me today . This head is not stable at all . They don't know the pain . Uwa
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:55am On May 18, 2016
AZUH:
Nigerians !!! If you still take all these men to the site without being there . They will do same thing . We'll it's my property and I think I have getting what I need . I will contact who I need to contact at the right time . God bless everyone . Na dpc carry me waka come . I hope lastma doesn't arrest me today . This head is not stable at all . They don't know the pain . Uwa

Not Spyder880, Skimanski, Aventures, AbdulWastecx, RichYoungRuler, etc

Now you may not be able to afford them like me.....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:59am On May 18, 2016
From the archives of nexthome

Fix applied

Drainage, Kerbs, Water-hungry plants, Concrete flooring.

The house has been built and nothing can be done about it. So we implement a water exclusion plan.

It's not just talking about it. I have fixed a lot of water issue. As a matter of fact I'm doing 2 presently in another site.

Brabus

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:08am On May 18, 2016
Water Issue | Wrongly Sized Inspection Chamber

Here's another culprit found on a site I just diagnosed. Their fence is giving way and we found out that the inspection chamber is blocked and the water is pushing the fence.

I'll show you the fix later on this thread. I have a site inspection to carry out.

Brabus

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:15am On May 18, 2016
Mr AZUH, forget the DPC for a moment. Stop the water.

I can choose to have a basement in my house if I have the proper water-exclusion strategy. I can choose to step-down some part of my build below natural ground level if I can do proper waterproofing.

Everything is all about getting water off your property first. Achieving 3m room is no big deal because you can play around with ceiling designs, do epoxy floors instead of tiles and explore everything that can give you extra space.

Even with all your complaints and fear, I can still take a bet that your headroom is not less than 2.8m - so what's the headache.

Oga, watch LASTMA o!

Brabus
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 9:58am On May 18, 2016
n3xt:
Water Issue | Wrongly Sized Inspection Chamber

Here's another culprit found on a site I just diagnosed. Their fence is giving way and we found out that the inspection chamber is blocked and the water is pushing the fence.

I'll show you the fix later on this thread. I have a site inspection to carry out.

I am having something somewhat similar. My neighbours' inspection chamber is leaking and the water is flowing into mine from under the fence. Since its a commercial (tenant) house I would prefer to handle it from my side of the fence without involving my neighbours if its possible to.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 10:06am On May 18, 2016
n3xt:
@ agarawu23, I don't think he's lying. I just think he's too emotional. He's playing the Ultimate Victim. Mr AZUH, no pun intended o. I'm just being realistic.

If he gets to see real construction defects on site, I wonder what he'll do.

The attached pic is from a building I bought in 2014. Wait to see what I turned it into by next week when I get chance to visit.

I wasn't talking. I was checking and fixing. I've never seen anyone talk a problem into solution.
Looooool< I don laugh tire. was that wood that was used to continue a reinforcement that want long enough. these ppl wont kill someone in this country.....Hope you removed this lintel totaly? cos will cause a great issue on the long run if left
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:38am On May 18, 2016
44chux:

I am having something somewhat similar. My neighbours' inspection chamber is leaking and the water is flowing into mine from under the fence. Since its a commercial (tenant) house I would prefer to handle it from my side of the fence without involving my neighbours if its possible to.

The beauty of this platform apart from Boise making, name-calling and chest-beating is information sharing.

A lot of water issues in most houses are from the inspection chambers, leaking drainages and faulty installations. Often times, these issues are unresolved due to wrong diagnosis.

One thing that I do when called for maintenance work like this is to try and recreate the problem.

I would have expected a question "How did the black sand shown in the pic above got into the chamber?"

The sand is from the paving stone. When the inspection chamber overflows, it pushes water under the paving stone damproof and fine sands are flushed into the pipes during heavy downpour. This is the reason why misdiagnosis can lead to bigger problem.

We all don't want a very large inspection chambers in our house. At the same time, I believe we don't want water issues too. A wrongly sized chamber is a bigger threat to foundations and is often the cause of cracks seen on most floors.

Brabus

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 1:12pm On May 18, 2016
the best thing in this country is to solve your problem without letting anyone know , they are still some house that i know thatt doesnt know anything called dpc and they are still strong going , just because i want this house to look like aso rock .@ Arnoldfish,AbdulWastecx, agarawu23 corrupt citizens of this blessed country wont let this work ,lol. well its okey .i m gone.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 1:37pm On May 18, 2016
Yawns

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 1:45pm On May 18, 2016
Kunle afolayan's building looks somehow, it's not my money but the design looks stupid. Even the house has over 98% negative comment angry

I am aiming to rap.e the architect and the owner soon angry

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 1:47pm On May 18, 2016
It looks boring even at night

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 1:48pm On May 18, 2016
n3xt:

The beauty of this platform apart from Boise making, name-calling and chest-beating is information sharing.

A lot of water issues in most houses are from the inspection chambers, leaking drainages and faulty installations. Often times, these issues are unresolved due to wrong diagnosis.

One thing that I do when called for maintenance work like this is to try and recreate the problem.

I would have expected a question "How did the black sand shown in the pic above got into the chamber?"

The sand is from the paving stone. When the inspection chamber overflows, it pushes water under the paving stone damproof and fine sands are flushed into the pipes during heavy downpour. This is the reason why misdiagnosis can lead to bigger problem.

We all don't want a very large inspection chambers in our house. At the same time, I believe we don't want water issues too. A wrongly sized chamber is a bigger threat to foundations and is often the cause of cracks seen on most floors.

I think what matters most is not the sizes of the chambers
But it's more paramount that it's laid to fall at
30 degrees.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 1:51pm On May 18, 2016
N3xt, make I comot mouth for Mr axuh topic.

On your building, baba go provide
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 1:51pm On May 18, 2016
agarawu23:
It looks boring even at night

It looks more like a scene out of a horror movie
Anyways it's his money

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 1:53pm On May 18, 2016
kolnel:

It looks more like a scene out of a horror movie
Anyways it's his money
no be lie.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 1:56pm On May 18, 2016
agarawu23:
Kunle afolayan's building looks somehow, it's not my money but the design looks stupid. Even the house has over 98% negative comment angry

Horrible architecture and horrible execution of project.

It is the same thing in almost 95% of projects in Nigeria.

What a sad building culture of operation we have in Nigeria. The artisans, architects, and engineers rush everything they do with no attention to detail. Everything is rushed even when there is no other work they look forward to. When I see projects start from foundation and move to roof in just six weeks, I just shake my head and you see people on nairaland hailing. I just shake my head all the time.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 2:04pm On May 18, 2016
FastShipping:

Horrible architecture and horrible execution of project.

It is the same thing in almost 95% of projects in Nigeria.

What a sad building culture of operation we have in Nigeria. The artisans, architects, and engineer rush everything they do with no attention to detail. Everything is rushed even when there is no other work they look forward to. When I see projects start from foundation and move to roof in just six weeks, I just shake my head and you see people on nairaland hailing, I just shake my head all the time.
too bad.

Apart from rushing the project, the design Is too boring. It looks like a face-me-i-face-u that was later raised and turned into a mansion . I can't blv such exposed dude will build this crap. Its saddening.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 2:10pm On May 18, 2016
everyone is going after money.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kenazuu(m): 2:13pm On May 18, 2016
nice window.

some type with mine but tint blue without design glass.

EgunMogaji:

I'll just tell you the design that I have for my garage apartment.

The ceiling is 12 coaches high which is about 12 feet, that's pretty high. I'm not using POP so I'll loose very minimal height for the actual finished ceiling. Heat trap will not be an issue because there will be a solar powered whole house fan that vents directly into the attic. There will be two gable vents on either side of the attic wall where the hot air should naturally escape.

I'm also using casement windows that have projections at the top. These type of window will allow me to at least crack open the projected windows during inclement weather or at night. That in conjunction with the whole house fan will make sure that air is moved throughout the house.

You should go for whatever design, style that floats your boat. It's your house and you won't be asking anybody to finance it. If you get a good Architect and a builder that doesn't think he knows what you need more than you then you'll be okay.

Costwise, windows design is the same price, whole house fan is maybe $150 and gable vents can be constructed by local artisan. I talked to my local welder and he thinks he can make the whole house fan. My stuff might look expensive but they really aren't. I just have a knack to thinking outside of the box, and I take my sweet time.

Edit:

Picture of installer with window is from Nairaland, and not my own picture.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 2:38pm On May 18, 2016
@house
Can someone help with the going rate for painters?

Say I want to paint inside of a standard plot (36 x 18m) fence, how much is this going for now?

Is there a typical price per sqm.?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:55pm On May 18, 2016
battleaxe:
@house
Can someone help with the going rate for painters?

Say I want to paint inside of a standard plot (36 x 18m) fence, how much is this going for now?

Is there a typical price per sqm.?

Thanks.
call goodnews
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 4:43pm On May 18, 2016
agarawu23:

Its possible what was Designed was Different from what was Built. And its also possible he gave the project to someone with a Relationship instead of a proper Professional.

That house no just try at all. Reminds me of Linda Ikeji's House. very poor Architecture for such an amount.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:46pm On May 18, 2016
agarawu23:

I'm sorry those guys can't attract the best in the trade. Forget the headlines.

What kills most of these architectural 3D work is the use of wrong materials. Wrong in this case doesn't mean "inferior" or "cheap"

If a good makeover designer handle that building, what he's going to change is the facade and the feel. He's not going to demolish it. So, that tells the difference.

The house look like father xmas' grotto at night. POP spot lights boku like hell.

______
@ Babalose, I'm happy to inform you that I've found a place where vinyl and polycarbonate was used to replicate the design you posted a few weeks back. I'll get you the pics when next I visit. However, it's obvious the materials used on the original design you posted is WPC.

Brabus

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:49pm On May 18, 2016
skimanski:

Its possible what was Designed was Different from what was Build. And its also possible he gave the project to someone with a Relationship instead of a proper Professional.

That house no just try at all. Reminds me of Linda Ikeji's House. very poor Architecture for such an amount.

I watch the video where he alluded that though, the house was designed by a young architect but he tweak the house to his taste,. He continued by saying that all the interior are his ideas...

I kind of like the concept of the house but execution and interiors were terribly odd

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 4:52pm On May 18, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I watch the video where alluded that though the house was designed by a young architect but tweak the house to his taste,. He continued by saving all the interior are his ideas...

I kind of like the concept but execution and interiors were terribly odd

Interior his Idea!!? hmmm I wander ooo. I will like to see how that came out too. considering what he did with the Exterior.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:55pm On May 18, 2016
agarawu23:
N3xt, make I comot mouth for Mr axuh topic.

On your building, baba go provide

Mr AZUH na my person o. grin grin

I guess he got a very HOT welcome from the seniors. He'll get used to the class with time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 5:02pm On May 18, 2016
@n3xt. ..am waiting to see the picx then
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:25pm On May 18, 2016
Contemporary Front Door Maker Wanted

In 2013, I met one of the best wooden door maker in Lagos. He did some jobs for me back then and I'm good for it.

Sadly, I've lost his (Olu's) contact details and the contemporary job is here once again and it requires the masters' touch.

Can you do any of the doors below or something even better and you have a reference site to show your work? I'm more interested in the double door. Call 0700-NEXTHOME or 08023429122 or email bosun@nexthomebuilders.com

Material Preffered: Solid Oak.

Brabus

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 18, 2016
kenazuu:
nice window.

some type with mine but tint blue without design glass.

My Chief, how far?

How are the windows working out for you?

Please say hello to madam.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:32pm On May 18, 2016
n3xt:
Contemporary Front Door Maker Wanted

In 2013, I met one of the best wooden door maker in Lagos. He did some jobs for me back then and I'm good for it.

Sadly, I've lost his (Olu's) contact details and the contemporary job is here once again and it requires the masters' touch.

Can you do any of the doors below or something even better and you have a reference site to show your work? I'm more interested in the double door. Call 0700-NEXTHOME or 08023429122 or email bosun@nexthomebuilders.com

Material Preffered: Solid Oak.

I like this door below.

Don't you know the workshop of the person who made the door last time? If you lost his phone number, you should know his workshop still.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:39pm On May 18, 2016
FastShipping:

I like this door below.

Don't you know the workshop of the person who made the door last time? If you lost his phone number, you should know his workshop still.

I'll get him. The last time I tried getting someone else to do the same job, the guy who has never met him before confessed he (Olu) is the best in the game.

Those wood are not ordinary woods. He takes time to ferment and process them before usage. He's type that will tell you to go to bed and he'll call you when he's through with his installations. So, I got to meet him through referral and the referee told me the same thing I just said above.

I'm sure by the time I check all my contacts on iCloud, I'll recover his details.

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: psychologist(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.