Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,202 members, 7,822,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2401) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4411085 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) (2402) (2403) (2404) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:37am On Aug 24, 2021
rotecch77:
Let me talk Generally on burglar bars
I’m not using this to support any side.
As I was thought in sch as building tech student then which I’m also putting into practice at site.

Case of burglar bars
Let assume your block opening is 1200*1200
You need to reduce 25mm from all four sides of the WALL OPENINGS.( this is for plastering gauge)

Then you will also consider 15mm reductions from all 4 sides agains ( for alignment)

Now you will left with 25+15mm =40mm
You final burglar size to be delivered to the site will be 1160mm * 1160mm.

This also applicable to door.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 5:23am On Aug 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I think it's acceptable. Not up to Topsy level but good enough. It's better than most nest of wires that I've been seeing.
/ grin grin

nest of wires.

/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 5:32am On Aug 24, 2021
rotecch77:
As I was thought in sch as building tech student then which I’m also putting into practice at site.

Case of burglar bars
Let assumed your block opening is 1200*1200
You need to reduce 25mm from all four sides of the WALL OPENINGS.( this is for plastering gauge)

Then you will also consider 15mm reductions from all 4 sides agains ( for alignment)

/

If that's the case, won't it be fair to quote 1160mm x 1160mm(since it is the actual build) instead of 1200mm x 1200mm? That is factoring in the reductions on both sides just to avoid confusion.

Life is simple.

/

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ggee(m): 6:13am On Aug 24, 2021
Exactly. As a professional what should be quoting is 1160mm x 1160mm with explanation to the customer of the reason for reduction.
This will avoid issues because some customers could have remove such allowances before giving out the job.

InvertedHammer:

/

If that's the case, won't it be fair to quote 1160mm x 1160mm(since it is the actual build) instead of 1200mm x 1200mm? That is factoring in the reductions on both sides just to avoid confusion.

Life is simple.

/

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 6:30am On Aug 24, 2021
We hv statements of work as agreed by both of us through WhatsApp messages. I need 3ft and thats what i paid for and needed in my building
UC92:

To be honest, your designer goofed by giving you a main entrance of 3ft.
Usually building components like doors and windows require tolerance for installation, reason for the 3 inches reduction.
Please next time ensure your vendor visits the site to take measurement, insist on developing a statement of work which both parties can agree on.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:51am On Aug 24, 2021
Naijapal:
Assumption can either make or mar you. Get it right and you'll be praise to high heavens; get it wrong and you'll be labeled names.

That's how it is done everywhere is not tenable. People want to go outside the box. Hauling insults when mistake is made is not a way forward.

I asked someone to do electrical piping for me. Even after I explained everything that I don't intend to use external changeover switch (that I have an DIN type I want to use in the DB and so every pipe should terminate in the DB), the contractor still went ahead and create the usual external changeover type. When I enquire he said he couldn't fathom how possible I could realise my dream, that he doesn't want to spoil his work. Of course, I was furious as the walls had already been plastered. His apology doused the tension. Breaking would have cost me more money so I had to make some adjustment and adapt. It's always very painful when what you get is not what you ordered for.

@michilin, you may feel that you took the right decision and that you're right. Service delivery goes beyond contract signing (agreement), to delivery and customers satisfaction. Without the bolded, you loose referrals.

If you and your client are willing, you can resolve this amicably. Put a call across; show empathy.
Words of wisdom.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:06am On Aug 24, 2021
rotecch77:

Case of burglar bars
Let assumed your block opening is 1200*1200

That won’t work for me and I made sure to tell my Mason, Tiler and Ironworker that I want my frame to be flushed to the walls.

Just an example on setting scope of work.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 7:18am On Aug 24, 2021
When you are fabricating a steel or wooden door from scratch then it can and should be made to order. Simples.

rotecch77:
Let’s do small tutorial on door ( let’s use ft and inches here)

Regular 3ft door as example,
- wall opening size width 3ft
- wall opening size height 7ft
Door frame 7*3 ft

Door leaf size; you will reduce 2” (50mm) from up, side A,side B and threshold[(this will take care of tiles or any floor finishings thickness)
( this reduction is for the frame)]
Now your door leaf size will be
- width 2ft 8”
- height 6ft 8”

So don’t expect your door to be 3ft by 7ft
When your builder, engr, or artisan deliver your door

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 7:28am On Aug 24, 2021
Yes and i was specific about the size of which he issued invoice for 3ft door as per my request. See above for the invoice issued to that effect .
somehow:

And madam, did you did ask questions on what to expect when you contacted him?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 7:29am On Aug 24, 2021
michlins:
oga mi I have tried my possible best to appease this woman. But she made it her ultimate goal to frustrate me.

Someone who couldn't stop me from waking up now wants me stop me from getting my goals. Are you my God or what exactly are you

Just calm down n be soft with your choice of words Chief. All is well

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 7:33am On Aug 24, 2021
michlins:
sir I am a vendor here and still I am human who deserves a respect. If you take offense with my response and feel ok with her statement, I don't know what to say about it.

She gave me a measurement saying she wants 7ft by 3ft. I deducted 3" from the measurements for the plastering. How on earth is this fraud? Go anywhere, this is the industrial standard. It has been discussed extensively here. She's quick to bring screenshots here. Do you know what she has said to me over the phone and how she has insulted me. Even a slave deserve a better treatment

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 7:34am On Aug 24, 2021
New arrival Spanish product here
Am blessedsunny2
WhatsApp:09077504287,07062955047

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:45am On Aug 24, 2021
Few months back, I recommended an aluminum guy for a very big job (running into several millions of naira) to one of my chairman here grin

It wasn’t funny when Oga asked me “Why am I still the one doing the quotation for the guy?” He was like “Abi you be middleman?” grin grin

I smiled and told him “I always do this to help my guys do well when handling project for other clients. It’s possible for the client to assume since this guy is coming from Brabus, he must be cool not knowing I have systems in place to prevent regrettable error.”

I told my chairman “The guy will prepare his quote but I validate it to be sure it captures every details.”

Despite submitting the quote to the client based on windows schedule provided by the Project Engineer, I still told my chairman that we will like to visit the site to take as-built measurement of the windows and also ask the project engineer some important questions.

Oga, this is the reason I do what I do - to prevent regrettable errors.

It doesn’t matter what it cost to do what’s right. Just take the pain to do it right.

_________

The only fix for this wahala is to .... lipsrsealed

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 7:45am On Aug 24, 2021
Gurus in the house, please I need help estimating the catoon of tiles for the following square meter and the cost per pack.
30 square meter (40x 40)
9 square meter. (40x 40)
8 square meter. (40x 40)
38 square meter. (25x 40)
16 square meter. (40x 40)
22 square meter. (25x 40)
Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:59am On Aug 24, 2021
n3xt:

Meanwhile here are samples of his work.

Oga mi, what size is this shower?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:06am On Aug 24, 2021
Enyinne:
I was very specific about my request. What price is 3ft door was my question and request and remember when u was sounding Rude to me on chat , i warned u about insulting me see attached screenshots
You will never have peace in this forum until u sort out this door issue . U short the pan and still make a one side design and charged 60k . Maybe u think i dont know whats called value for money for u to cheat to this great extent.
you're still my customer and you gave me your money. I don't want to bring chats here. It's ok to skip what you said to me over the phone and stuff.

Measure that pan, it's 2ft which is the size of pan. Everything about the job I did according to our agreement. Say I cut off 3", what will it amount to? Am I going to make another door with 3". Say that the size of materials are reducing from the producers whilst price keeps increasing.

I have been very detailed to you and asked you to get another anonymous welder to verify my claims. Go to your local market and measure the pans, they're 23.5". The manufacturers are creating all these issues while we the artisans answer the questions. To increase the size beyond what it currently is, I will add pipes in-between the doors and you won't like it. That's not alone, if I measure a job and it's 3ft,if I bring exactly same size to the place,it will never enter freely. You must break wall.

2-3" will never stop your household appliances. This is why I advise people to make all entry and exit points 4ft doors to avoid the issue of moving properties

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:14am On Aug 24, 2021
Here's another reason doors are getting smaller in size, the whole pan aren't even in size, so we trim off areas thereby reducing the already small size.

Without doing it, the job will be uneven and welding becomes a problem

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:17am On Aug 24, 2021
Eyinne, you said I defrauded and cheated you, the whole materials used on the job you haven't said they were inferior materials. If any fraud should happen, that's where

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:18am On Aug 24, 2021
Madam Eyinne, abeg please kindly let us find a way to resolve this issue.

The contractor had no intention to defraud you. This is a simple case of business misunderstanding and his misinterpretation of your complaints as a personal attack when it’s very unnecessary.

I’ve been there before so I know how it works.

Abeg, my sister! Pls allow peace to reign.

As a matter of fact, it was this your eye-opening complaint that made me to go and measure all the doors (local, foreign, wooden, steel, Turkey, 5ft, 3ft etc) in my house.

_________

@michilins the best thing to do now is to keep your cool and try to see things from the clients perspective.

Pls don’t assume that your brilliance was not being recognized. Try to see how your proactiveness, genuine help and smartness is not doing what you wanted them to; rather than add clarity, they added confusion.

The pros here know you’re not wrong but how do we explain this to an already aggrieved client without sounding insensitive.

It takes tact and diplomacy.

I’d advice you to stop responding to every comment on this matter and start looking for a way to get this matter resolved to the clients satisfaction.

God bless you!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 8:22am On Aug 24, 2021
n3xt:

Remember to lock the gate and give the key to Baba Bili!

Good Night!!
noted, gud morning boss

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 8:24am On Aug 24, 2021
michlins:
sir I am a vendor here and still I am human who deserves a respect. If you take offense with my response and feel ok with her statement, I don't know what to say about it.

She gave me a measurement saying she wants 7ft by 3ft. I deducted 3" from the measurements for the plastering. How on earth is this fraud? Go anywhere, this is the industrial standard. It has been discussed extensively here. She's quick to bring screenshots here. Do you know what she has said to me over the phone and how she has insulted me. Even a slave deserve a better treatment

I'm still trying to understand how a 3ft door will fit exactly in a 3 feet space. I think either the space is broken above 3 feet or the size of the door is reduced 'slightly'.

I won't be expecting an exact 3ft door that will make me break walls just to accommodate a door. Also, I don't think 1.5" reduction is an obstruction to passage of furnitures. I had to read over and over again to be sure I saw the 1.5" clearly and other reasons for the complain. May God save us all.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 8:25am On Aug 24, 2021
Dear Landlords,

What is the best approach to engage a Lawyer in a resisdential building? Am planning on given one a letter of power of attorney. What are the pros and cons.

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:26am On Aug 24, 2021
megacontrol:
When you are fabricating a steel or wooden door from scratch then it can and should be made to order. Simples.

I don't about wooden doors but right now with the sizes of iron reducing daily with 12mm looking like 10mm, 3" pipes now 2.8", you can't make exactly 3ft doors without joining. Ask any welder around you. Rails, windows, standing tank and others are the jobs you can determine the sizes. Even H beans that used to be 40ft are now 37ft 10". You take it to site and you're scrutinized as if you are the one who cut off the rest. 18ft pipes are barely 17ft 6" now. I don't make these things, I just buy them just like everyone else

12 by 12 planks are now 9" and they're still called 12". T

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:27am On Aug 24, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Oga mi, what size is this shower?

1200 x 1200

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 8:37am On Aug 24, 2021
Bring chat where i insulted u and let me bring chat where u was practically talking down on me cos u hv collected money . I was specific of my demand and u issued invoice to that effect. Tellin me about choking the door hence u reduced the door . Did u discuss that with me ? Hv u seen the place where the door will be installed before? U made a one face design on ur own accord without sharing the information with me and same u are shorting the door size too ? What exactly did i pay 60k for if not to serve ur greediness . Come and pick up the doors and refund me . I'm not having this slide too .
I bought 4Ft turkish door and 3 ft turkish doors all fit perfectly to my space and when measured it's exactly 3ft and plus .
Oga i demand u pick up this door and refund me to whoever it pleases . What i paid for was 3ft door and no less
michlins:
you're still my customer and you gave me your money. I don't want to bring chats here. It's ok to skip what you said to me over the phone and stuff.

Measure that pan, it's 2ft which is the size of pan. Everything about the job I did according to our agreement. Say I cut off 3", what will it amount to? Am I going to make another door with 3". Say that the size of materials are reducing from the producers whilst price keeps increasing.

I have been very detailed to you and asked you to get another anonymous welder to verify my claims. Go to your local market and measure the pans, they're 23.5". The manufacturers are creating all these issues while we the artisans answer the questions. To increase the size beyond what it currently is, I will add pipes in-between the doors and you won't like it. That's not alone, if I measure a job and it's 3ft,if I bring exactly same size to the place,it will never enter freely. You must break wall.

2-3" will never stop your household appliances. This is why I advise people to make all entry and exit points 4ft doors to avoid the issue of moving properties
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:38am On Aug 24, 2021
Godisgreatest1:

I'm still trying to understand how a 3ft door will fit exactly in a 3 feet space. I think either the space is broken above 3 feet or the size of the door is reduced 'slightly'.

I won't be expecting an exact 3ft door that will make me break walls just to accommodate a door. Also, I don't think 1.5" reduction is an obstruction to passage of furnitures. I had to read over and over again to be sure I saw the 1.5" clearly and other reasons for the complain. May God save us all.
sir you won't understand. It wasn't that long that an engineer gave a client a measurement and I did same. Did the job to site and it couldn't fit. The engineer said I should have known better to reduce the sizes. In his words, "I should know better"

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by africaflozy(f): 8:45am On Aug 24, 2021
gbadexy:

I will send you some color charts sir.

Please, can I get the color charts sir.
adepojubunmi19@gmail.com.
How much do you charge for
Delivery to ibadan?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:47am On Aug 24, 2021
Enyinne:
Bring chat where i insulted u and let me bring chat where u was practically talking down on me cos u hv collected money . I was specific of my demand and u issued invoice to that effect. Tellin me about choking the door hence u reduced the door . Did u discuss that with me ? Hv u seen the place where the door will be installed before? U made a one face design on ur own accord without sharing the information with me and same u are shorting the door size too ? What exactly did i pay 60k for if not to serve ur greediness . Come and pick up the doors and refund me . I'm not having this slide too .
I bought 4Ft turkish door and 3 ft turkish doors all fit perfectly to my space and when measured it's exactly 3ft and plus .
Oga i demand u pick up this door and refund me to whoever it pleases . What i paid for was 3ft door and no less
you have continually called me a thief,cheat and other degenerative words without cause and yet you don't feel it's wrong. Wow

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:57am On Aug 24, 2021
n3xt:

Thanks chief that is the post.
Final door with frame should be 3f, 4ft 5ft etc
————
General note.
There is diff btw “wall opening size” and *door leaf size*

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:01am On Aug 24, 2021
Rexology:
Is this job well done by the electrician?

This look too busy and clumsy.

We have done this in the past

Below is our past installation

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 9:02am On Aug 24, 2021
On this door issue, it's somewhat difficult to wade in without appearing siding with one party at the expense of the other. However, I just want to lend my voice towards finding an amicable solution.

First of all, we cannot shy away from the fact that both parties already have a very strained relation as regards this issue. The buyer's dissatisfaction on the one sided design which has earlier been raised and settled albeit unsatisfactorily to her. Coupled with her finding of the shortage in the width of the door, which in all honesty, wasn't an attempt by the vendor to make illicit gains. It's a normal thing in door sizes.

Instead of the dissatisfied clients to live with resentful thoughts towards the vendor and the doors while using them, why don't we suggest that the doors be returned to the vendor to be sold to other interested buyers? This comes at a cost which I understand fully. The cost of transportation of the doors from Lagos back to the East and waiting period for the doors to be sold. The cost of transportation can be shared by both parties equally while I implore Enyinne to exercise patience while the doors are sold so that she can recoup her money. I guess this is a more suitable approach than trading blames and insulting one another.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 9:04am On Aug 24, 2021
michlins:
sir you won't understand. It wasn't that long that an engineer gave a client a measurement and I did same. Did the job to site and it couldn't fit. The engineer said I should have known better to reduce the sizes. In his words, "I should know better"

The whole issue is neither worth wasting thread space nor response.
There is NO SINGLE fraud or intention to cheat whether consciously or subconsciously. No matter the angle you look at it.

Was the door made in normal size? Yes
Was the vendor a 'cheat' in reducing the width? No

Please carry on with your job and have a wonderful day.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) (2402) (2403) (2404) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Johnadelaide00 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.