Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2522) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4415452 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2519) (2520) (2521) (2522) (2523) (2524) (2525) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 10:28am On Oct 13, 2021
Spanish products 30by60 floor tiles
Matt

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 11:36am On Oct 13, 2021
New arrivals Spanish wall products

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KelvinCoaster(m): 12:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
QSFemi:
Good evening all.

I want to write some notes on two terms that are not clearly understood in the context of construction contracts. I've said it here, times without number, that construction job is a contract either an expressly written contract was entered into or word of mouth agreement. As long as there is an offer to execute a job and a consideration (renumeration) for such job, a contract has already been established.

Construction job is very complex and complicated processes, as such there are bound to be issues during the construction stage. One of such prevalent issues is VARIATION. I've heard people use this word loosely, even in wrong context. So, I've make it my duty to define the word this night and differentiate it from another term that's confused for variation which is know as FLUCTUATION.

What's Variation?

According to Joint Contract Tribunal (JCT) 2011 with quantities, the term Variation means:

1) the alteration or modification of the design, quality or quantity of the works including:

(i) the addition, omission or substitution of any
work;
(ii) the alteration of the kind or standard of any of
the materials or goods to be used in the works;
(iii) the removal from site of any work executed or
site materials other than work, materials or
goods which are not in accordance with this
contract.
These are most recurring scenarios on site.

Fluctuation on the other hand refers to change in price of materials during the period of the construction contract.

Typical examples.

A change of window opening in the design to built up block work is an example of variation while the increase in the price of block from 250 during the contract bill preparation to 300 during the construction phase is an example of fluctuations.

NB: Variations in construction projects do not necessarily lead to increase in the construction cost.

These terms are very important in contract administration.

Let me stop here tonight.

Have a pleasant night rest to everybody here.
Thank you QSFemi for sharing!
This is quite enlightening!

Can we then say that: Variation is directly proportional to Fluctuation while Fluctuation can be inversely proportional to Variation? If and only if your definitions remain constant!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ollykay619(m): 2:48pm On Oct 13, 2021
Hello house, please where can i get this.. Picture attached

Polish steel ball/Shot steel ball. 1.2 mm

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:06pm On Oct 13, 2021
coldcandy:

My oga, how much should one pay for electrical fittings installation of a 5 bedrooms duplex (2 sitting rooms)?

Cc
twinskenny

Boss it depends on the type of fittings you are buying, Quantity and other factors

Also, remember the fittings you mentioned may include the underlisted items

-Light fittings (internal)
-Light fittings(External)
-Rope r strip light
-
-Switches
-Sockets
-Changeover
-Gear switch
-Cut out
-Termination of final sub circuit
-Termination water heaters

But you can budget between the range of 150-200k

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:13pm On Oct 13, 2021
QSFemi:
Good evening all.

I want to write some notes on two terms that are not clearly understood in the context of construction contracts. I've said it here, times without number, that construction job is a contract either an expressly written contract was entered into or word of mouth agreement. As long as there is an offer to execute a job and a consideration (renumeration) for such job, a contract has already been established.

Construction job is very complex and complicated processes, as such there are bound to be issues during the construction stage. One of such prevalent issues is VARIATION. I've heard people use this word loosely, even in wrong context. So, I've make it my duty to define the word this night and differentiate it from another term that's confused for variation which is know as FLUCTUATION.

What's Variation?

According to Joint Contract Tribunal (JCT) 2011 with quantities, the term Variation means:

1) the alteration or modification of the design, quality or quantity of the works including:

(i) the addition, omission or substitution of any
work;
(ii) the alteration of the kind or standard of any of
the materials or goods to be used in the works;
(iii) the removal from site of any work executed or
site materials other than work, materials or
goods which are not in accordance with this
contract.
These are most recurring scenarios on site.

Fluctuation on the other hand refers to change in price of materials during the period of the construction contract.

Typical examples.

A change of window opening in the design to built up block work is an example of variation while the increase in the price of block from 250 during the contract bill preparation to 300 during the construction phase is an example of fluctuations.

NB: Variations in construction projects do not necessarily lead to increase in the construction cost.

These terms are very important in contract administration.

Let me stop here tonight.

Have a pleasant night rest to everybody here.

Thanks for sharing this.

If the contract is a fixed contract that means there would be no variation and 70-80% of the contract value must be paid so that contractor can get all the materials ready to avoid price increase.

But what of additional work added on site and the client is still claiming that the contract is a FIXED contract. What can someone do in this situation?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dammywapes(m): 3:45pm On Oct 13, 2021
Good afternoon in here , please how many tipper of sand will be enough to fill 3 bedroom foundation make with 600 blocks?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2021
Great engineers in the house, please I need your criticism on this as I intend to utilize this plan for my structure which was done by a kind gesture from this great platform.
Thank you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:43pm On Oct 13, 2021
We setup this office at ikeja…
Electrical
Cctv
Done by yours truly.

Pop & screeding by @bolu1986

Paint supplied by oga gbadexy

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:51pm On Oct 13, 2021
twinskenny:
We setup this office at ikeja…
Electrical
Cctv
Done by yours truly.

Pop & screeding by @bolu1986

Paint supplied by oga gbadexy

Lovely setup.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by coldcandy: 6:40pm On Oct 13, 2021
topsy23:

Boss it depends on the type of fittings you are buying, Quantity and other factors

Also, remember the fittings you mentioned may include the underlisted items

-Light fittings (internal)
-Light fittings(External)
-Rope r strip light
-
-Switches
-Sockets
-Changeover
-Gear switch
-Cut out
-Termination of final sub circuit
-Termination water heaters

But you can budget between the range of 150-200k
Many thanks sir.
This is why you are the best in your field.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nomyth: 6:52pm On Oct 13, 2021
Hello guys

I just want to ask, must there be wall tiles in the kitchen wall to wall?

I ask because recent samples of kitchens that I've seen and intend to copy don't really have wall tiles.

Again, what's the consequence of not tiling the kitchen walls wall to wall.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2021
Nomyth:
Hello guys

I ask because recent samples of kitchens that I've seen and intend to copy don't really have wall tiles.

Thanks

It's your house. Your family is going to live in there. Not the builder or NairaLanders.

Jump on Pinterest (which is where a lot off the zowie graphics on here comes from) look at designs that pleases you and works with your families lifestyle. Employ someone (Bricklayer/Electrician/POP/Cabinet) that can help you materialise your idea.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2021
Additional work should be treated as VARIATION. It's part of the definition of variation that I explained.

topsy23:

Thanks for sharing this.

If the contract is a fixed contract that means there would be no variation and 70-80% of the contract value must be paid so that contractor can get all the materials ready to avoid price increase.

But what of additional work added on site and the client is still claiming that the contract is a FIXED contract. What can someone do in this situation?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2021
5 to 7 trips of 20 tons truck.

dammywapes:
Good afternoon in here , please how many tipper of sand will be enough to fill 3 bedroom foundation make with 600 blocks?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 7:42pm On Oct 13, 2021
Nomyth:
Hello guys

Thanks

Wall to wall tiling is our Nigerian way of building, am not a fan though. Like u said, must of the beautiful kitchens ive also seen only have tilles where needed and that how am planning the kitchen of my on going project. The workers and supervisor are already singing it to my ears that i will have to tile kitchen and bathroom to the top but i just dey look them when that times comes i will ask them to tile it to the top with their own money, at the end they will tell me its your house and the case will be closed.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 8:18pm On Oct 13, 2021
Laudbtc:
Great engineers in the house, please I need your criticism on this as I intend to utilize this plan for my structure which was done by a kind gesture from this great platform.
Thank you.

mechanical point of view,

1. Waiting room toilet : not spacious enough the width shouldn't less that 900mm, if you are substract the width of the small of basin(300mm) from 750mm, the clear zone is going to be too small for easy passage especially for big people,

Guest room toilet : centralised door to have better toilet layout, WC and shower area, are facing each other, while the basin is located opposite the entrance door, but the implication of this is that your toilet door is opening outwards

Master bedroom toilet : not spacious enough to conveniently accommodate the bathtub, this will make the toilet to be very choky, widen the width of the toilet to 1900mm, this it will make a difference,

Tell the architect to define the TV in those rooms & clearly position all the sanitary fixtures and bed, sink and cooker, chairs, this will help in AC positioning. You can share it here, again after that,

Get your toilet layout right at the planning stage, the plumber can not perform any magic, if your layout is messed up,

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 8:46pm On Oct 13, 2021
dammywapes:
A tipper is 5 tons.
Consider a max of 10 trips.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 8:52pm On Oct 13, 2021
Laudbtc:
Thank you.
Well. I wanna say one or two things.
It's a great design.
The lobby will be dark, therefore, introduce some openings above each bedroom's door so as to throw light into the passage.
The importance of the waiting room seems a little bit defeated to me.
Try give the guest room cross ventilation.
Your architect must av worked hard to achieve this, kudos to him/her.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 9:52pm On Oct 13, 2021
For detailed MEP design and installation, or for MEP advice or technical input (free) , check my signature,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 10:21pm On Oct 13, 2021
Laudbtc:
Thank you.
No two projects are exactly the same.
Better relate this floorplan to your survey plan for you to get an informed critic.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:49am On Oct 14, 2021
Nomyth:
Hello guys

Thanks

Check out this episode on kitchen in Ghana. Zero tiles as far as I could see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_qiHRAulc

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 2:19am On Oct 14, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Check out this episode on kitchen in Ghana. Zero tiles as far as I could see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_qiHRAulc
this lovely

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dammywapes(m): 3:26am On Oct 14, 2021
Thanks
uncleteeh:

A tipper is 5 tons.
Consider a max of 10 trips.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dammywapes(m): 3:28am On Oct 14, 2021
Thank you
QSFemi:
5 to 7 trips of 20 tons truck.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Giftedinterior1: 4:21am On Oct 14, 2021
Check in for ur interior decoration here
WALLPAPER
CENTER DECOR TILES
VERSACE DESIGN LINE DECOR

ALL AVAILABLE AT GIFTEDINTERIOR LTD

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:23am On Oct 14, 2021
Laudbtc:
Thank you.

4 doors leading into the kitchen and you would struggle to have a decent workspace and sink area.

Can the entrance porch double up as the waiting room as there are security implications of having a waiting room so far into the house and so isolated. This will also allow you have more space to play with.

The guestroom should move into the waiting room area for cross ventilation.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:17am On Oct 14, 2021
When the request is “wow me”

Pic 1 & 2 | Ilé Ode 1 by NextHome
Pic 3 | Attached Pergola Fins for Ilé Ode 2 by NextHome
Pic 4 | Shape of things to come “Ilé Ode 2”

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 6:00am On Oct 14, 2021
Nomyth:
Hello guys

Thanks

It's not a must sir. It's just our way of moving with the crowd.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Horlardorjah(m): 7:28am On Oct 14, 2021
Nomyth:
Hello guys

Thanks

The only area u might need wall tiles in your kitchen are both where you have your kitchen sink and your cooker to avoid backsplash of water or your ororo while cooking however other materials can suffice like using glossy/ silk or other cleanable paints, polished woods et all.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 7:28am On Oct 14, 2021

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 14, 2021
What did you use to screed the Kalsiboard?
n3xt:
When the request is “wow me”

Pic 1 & 2 | Ilé Ode 1 by NextHome
Pic 3 | Attached Pergola Fins for Ilé Ode 2 by NextHome
Pic 4 | Shape of things to come “Ilé Ode 2”

(1) (2) (3) ... (2519) (2520) (2521) (2522) (2523) (2524) (2525) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.