Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2754) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4415192 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2751) (2752) (2753) (2754) (2755) (2756) (2757) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2022
Hello guys,

I have some needs at finishing stages and hope to get leads from anyone here.

1. PVC Skirting boards for tiling. Pls where can I source from locally. Sales only or sales and install, either works.

2. Artificial grass for outdoor space similar to picture below. Supply & install.

Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 2:20pm On Jan 27, 2022
uncleteeh:

Well, it depends.
Is it even an iron scaffold or bamboo?
Bamboo. 450 pieces is needed

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cjfbn: 3:03pm On Jan 27, 2022
Hatesin:

Ok. But then will another German floor be done before tiling?
Yes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by seankim(m): 3:28pm On Jan 27, 2022
registerin:

Mr Rabiu kehinde Adeniyi, Ori yin ti daru sir grin.

Anyway, in honor of the elders, professionals and honest vendors on here, I will not derail the thread further.
I’ll do the needful elsewhere.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2022
sonnie10:

Bamboo. 450 pieces is needed
Ok, the cost of materials needed and workmanship could make it cost that much.
There's an idea we use over here these days, we only cover two sides at a time, when that's completed, we move the materials to the other side's just to save capital.
Have you explored the idea of renting iron scaffold? Maybe it can be less expensive.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Charisdesigns: 4:02pm On Jan 27, 2022
Lunarrz:

The iron bender that did the decking are to be blamed here. I think they didn't put internal beam across before reinforcement and you supervisor must be crappy for not speaking out

Hidden beam on floor slabs are just imaginary strength enhancement concept.
The use of hidden beam are not beneficial to the behavior of slab. The principle that deflection of solid slab obeys still remains constant. ( Depth)

The longer the slab span, the deeper the slab should be, some persons have wrongly adopted the 150mm (6’’ ) thickness. Well it’s not a one fix all thing.

It is also worthy of note that slabs are majorly designed for deflection rather than strength, and as such there’s a permissible value for it. His engineer should investigate that and advise him further.

To the OP
Cracking your slab and recasting will create a line of weakness in the crack zone, so therefore you need to be careful.

Possible solution
Your Engr might want to consider composite steel beam and then conceal with some creative Pop finishes

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Inception(m): 5:21pm On Jan 27, 2022
Charisdesigns:

The use of hidden beam are not beneficial to the behavior of slab. The principle that deflection of solid slab obeys still remains constant. ( Depth)

The longer the slab span, the deeper the slab should be, some persons have wrongly adopted the 150mm (6’’ ) thickness. Well it’s not a one fix all thing.

It is also worthy of note that slabs are majorly designed for deflection rather than strength, and as such there’s a permissible value for it. His engineer should investigate that and advise him further.

To the OP
Cracking your slab and recasting will create a line of weakness in the crack zone, so therefore you need to be careful.

Possible solution
Your Engr might want to consider composite steel beam and then conceal with some creative Pop finishes

Smart solution.
Use beams with sufficient profile (depth) to provide adequate sectional modulus to resist the slab deflection.

Connection of beam to slab can be via bolting (using concrete drilling machine to drill through) at specific intervals (depending on slab length and as per analysis) and passed through top and bottom beam flanges or using plates washers

Beams should have adequate connections to the ground (via either existing adjacent beams that have closeby columns or even making them have their own columns, cast or steel)

Beam numbers and spacing should also be sufficient.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Lunarrz: 5:31pm On Jan 27, 2022
Charisdesigns:

The longer the slab span, the deeper the slab should be, some persons have wrongly adopted the 150mm (6’’ ) thickness. Well it’s not a one fix all

To the OP

Possible solution

Thanks man , we learn everyday

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dubemcapital1(m): 6:56pm On Jan 27, 2022
redgem:

Height of?

Height of the building from top to the ground ( soil)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 7:22pm On Jan 27, 2022
You should be able to step up into your apartment incase of run-off or heavy down pour. So the surrounding level should be lower than that of the building.

Hatesin:

How do you mean?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:25pm On Jan 27, 2022
Charisdesigns:

To the OP

Possible solution

This is a very practical and cost effective solution. This is a widespread solution for such situation here in the UK. We call it RSJ - Rolling Steel Joist.

Five star advice. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2022
Scaffolding is expensive.

Either you're hiring steel scaffolding or buying bamboos; both are expensive depending on the area and height of your building.

sonnie10:
Why should I spend 500k on scaffolding alone? They said because its a mansion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:40pm On Jan 27, 2022
QSFemi:
Scaffolding is expensive.

Either you're hiring steel scaffolding or buying bamboos; both are expensive depending on the area and height of your building.

personally I think buying bamboo is cheaper on the long run. He will still need it for painting after plastering. Hire now and then hire later for painting will overshoot the cost of the job. At the end, you will still have your bamboo to sell or use it domestically as energy source

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2022
If you're doing up to 5 or more stories project, bamboos become inapplicable. So, it can depend on the type of build.

On a normal everyday one or two storeyed projects, bamboos will make a cost effective and efficient choice.

michlins:
personally I think buying bamboo is cheaper on the long run. He will still need it for painting after plastering. Hire now and then hire later for painting will overshoot the cost of the job. At the end, you will still have your bamboo to sell or use it domestically as energy source
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 7:49pm On Jan 27, 2022
QSFemi:
If you're doing up to 5 or more stories project, bamboos become inapplicable. So, it can depend on the type of build.

On a normal everyday one or two storeyed projects, bamboos will make a cost effective and efficient choice.

well this is one storey building with penthouse. Total of about 38ft tall
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2022
Bamboo will make a better choice.

Cost of one bamboo in Lagos (Ajah) is an average of #600 per one with an average length of 6metres.

michlins:
well this is one storey building with penthouse. Total of about 38ft tall
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:01pm On Jan 27, 2022
QSFemi:

grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 8:06pm On Jan 27, 2022
Inception:

Smart solution.
Use beams with sufficient profile (depth) to provide adequate sectional modulus to resist the slab deflection.

Connection of beam to slab can be via bolting (using concrete drilling machine to drill through) at specific intervals (depending on slab length and as per analysis) and passed through top and bottom beam flanges or using plates washers

Beams should have adequate connections to the ground (via either existing adjacent beams that have closeby columns or even making them have their own columns, cast or steel)

The best is for him to take a competent structural engineer down to the site to diagnose the problem. The problem cannot be solved without seeing deficiency.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 8:08pm On Jan 27, 2022
Oga mi sir, are these bamboos?

They look slimmer than our everyday bamboo here.

EgunMogaji2:

grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 8:09pm On Jan 27, 2022
SAY No To FRAUD
SAY NO TO SCAM

STOP SCAM DON'T BE UNFORTUNATE HUMANBEING

LIKE OMOWUNMI OMOTAYO ALLEN

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:12pm On Jan 27, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

grin
this picture is triggering my phobia for height. I don't sit at my balcony like this else it feels like I'm falling.

How do you guys deal with this type of heights
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:14pm On Jan 27, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

grin
not me.. won't climb that

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArcToyin(m): 8:37pm On Jan 27, 2022
michlins:
this picture is triggering my phobia for height. I don't sit at my balcony like this else it feels like I'm falling.

How do you guys deal with this type of heights

You can. It may seems daring at first but when you gain mastery in mounting, the phobia will disappear.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:38pm On Jan 27, 2022
ArcToyin:

You can. It may seems daring at first but when you gain mastery in mounting, the phobia will disappear.
not me sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:39pm On Jan 27, 2022
ArcToyin:

here's the thing, I will not try. How can I master when I'm yet to try at all

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 8:57pm On Jan 27, 2022
Inception:

Smart solution.

Very accurate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 9:35pm On Jan 27, 2022
Please how do you know the difference between the 3 roofing sheets ?

Thanks

dongc:

Bozac any day...where is your site located ....sdm uses coils from Bozac...so same same almost.
I thought you were getting help from kolashange ?? Or not.
Also looking at your building my guess the roof height is under 20feet.i would put 0'45mm roofing sheets..0'55 maybe an overkill..offcourse it's your house and your money and your call.cheers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hajivince(m): 9:50pm On Jan 27, 2022
Charisdesigns:

To the OP

Possible solution

Accurate AsF
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 10:02pm On Jan 27, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

grin
Well, there are companies who deal only in scaffolds, this job must be from one of such.
But am not sure I can climb this ooo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:42pm On Jan 27, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

grin
baba you stepped in like a boss grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by debeey87(m): 10:52pm On Jan 27, 2022
ArcToyin:

Holy Crown a property agent? I think I know him.

Yes o. He even won a position as PRO for the association recently sef. His office is opposite Obasanjos farm

(1) (2) (3) ... (2751) (2752) (2753) (2754) (2755) (2756) (2757) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: HossanaHeights and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.