Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,460 members, 7,850,608 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:46 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (291) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4478047 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) ... (3688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 8:40am On Jun 04, 2016
segcymoor:
Let's digress........ Check out the advanced raft foundation to reduce settlement drastically
This is money oo. cellular raft I guess.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 9:19am On Jun 04, 2016
In other NEWS, the "Legendary Boxer" Mohammed Ali has passed away, at the age of 74yrs!

"He floated like a Butterfly while stinging like a Bee".

RIP, to "The Greatest"!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 9:25am On Jun 04, 2016
segcymoor:
Not pilling though...

Hmmm. You're sure this isn't pile foundation? I can see pile heads with grade beams on top; with the spaces between the pile heads filled with weak concrete to support the grade beam reinforcement and help form a good level.

Well sometimes pictures don't tell the full story.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 10:15am On Jun 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Very nice job sir, how deep are those columns (pillars)? what are the center to center spacing of the foundation columns(pillars)? Are the foundation pillars founded on an isolated pad footings? How deep is the perimeter beams? Are you planning to you planning to filled the void spaces between these beams with sand before constructing the damp proof course (over site concrete)? Cost comparison if the dpc of oversite concrete is completely raised an decked as a suspended floor to filling the foundation before constructing the dpc/oversite concrete.

This is not a raft foundation but beam and slab on grade foundation because of the method of design and construction.

Method of design.
1. A short pile is design as either end bearing piles or skin friction piles depending on the location of strong soil strata. If the position if the strata is economically closer to the surface, an end bearing pile is used otherwise skin friction is employed.
Alternatively, an isolated pad can be founded on a good soil strata below the natural ground level ( not greater than 3m (10ft). The foundation columns are then designed as a N unbraced column with slenderness ratio of not greater than 10. Both ends of the column (point of contact with pad footings and point of contact with perimeter beams) are considered to be fixed in connection. The analysis is then carried out to determine the amount of steel and section required to transmit load adequately.

The grade beams are designed like every suspended beam independent of the grade soil on which it span. They are designed with loads from the ground floor DPC or oversite concrete, self weight of the partition walls on the beams and self weight of the beam. The beam then transmit the load to the foundation columns.

The dpc or oversite concrete is designed independent of the grade soil or filling soil, they are designed as a suspended slab carrying service load of occupancy, furniture and it's self weight. This slab is designed as a normal suspended slab with gravity load action game downward making the middle portion of each panels to be in sagging (positive moments ) and the support to in in hogging (negative moments). This slab loads are transferred to the beams.

Here is a simple mode of load transfer
Floor slab to grade beam to foundation column to isolated pad footings to soil strata below.

But for a raft foundation, mode of load transfer is
Raft slab to soil strata or
Raft slab to soil strata and beams to reduce punching in areas with high concentrated load (places of columns/pillar position)

Thanks for your comments.
Actually, I called that foundation a form of advance raft for easy comprehension of followers.
Your analysis is quite correct. But I must add that we consider that foundation as good for our work after we were sure that the site has already been filled with filling sand and it is already settle (about 12months now)
2. The foundation is to help us gain a substantial height for our foundation thereby helping us to completely eliminate water from the compound since the road level is low with the area.
Also, we intended to treat the beam and the over site concrete as a proper normal raft...that is, filling,damp-prove course,blinding and reinforcement...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 10:38am On Jun 04, 2016
semitunde:

Hmmm. You're sure this isn't pile foundation? I can see pile heads with grade beams on top; with the spaces between the pile heads filled with weak concrete to support the grade beam reinforcement and help form a good level.

Well sometimes pictures don't tell the full story.
D so called pile head or rather pile. Cap ve nothing is common with pile.. Having compacted the filling and doing blinding reinforcements in form of pile cap is done And what seem has weak concrete is just blinding which place on filling prior to reinforcements beam
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by semitunde: 12:10pm On Jun 04, 2016
segcymoor:

D so called pile head or rather pile. Cap ve nothing is common with pile.. Having compacted the filling and doing blinding reinforcements in form of pile cap is done And what seem has weak concrete is just blinding which place on filling prior to reinforcements beam

OK. And thanks, it is pile cap.

I'm limited by the info I can get from the pictures. You most probably have more info on this than I do...

What kind of raft is it though? And what's the concrete underneath the raft r/f.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:08pm On Jun 04, 2016
back2sender:
I saw this been supplied this morning when i was doing Johnny walker in my area. Experts in the house what can be the tonnage of this supplies of granite.
I believe that truck is full 30tons, I stand to be corrected.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 1:58pm On Jun 04, 2016
Morning nairalanders, I found out something really cool yesterday on a new built in Canada. After curing a newly pour concrete for the foundation of a new home which is also referred to as basement, the builder wrap all around the foundation with a rubber like material which will prevent water from penetrating the foundation and also direct water away from the concrete foundation down toward an open drain piping placed around the foundation. This will prevent water or moisture from ever penetrating the pores or permeable areas of the foundation. Cool right? I will love to apply this material in Nigeria. My question to our experts in the house is has this ever being used in Nigeria? If yes, can I use this material on my raft foundation? Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 04, 2016
back2sender:
I saw this been supplied this morning when i was doing Johnny walker in my area. Experts in the house what can be the tonnage of this supplies of granite.

30 tons is my bet.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
lastpage:

I am still trying to relate your response to the question l asked? shocked shocked

Read my response to @msogunro , below, and this was on Page 287! undecided

BTW: They use Hollow blocks "abroad". Check your 'facts' properly.

Thank you.

Lastpage!
I did give an answer to your question. I said with a lil twicking a clever person can make one that fits Hollo blocks
And when I said abroad well I mean where I'm at ie the UK.no hlloow blocks.is outer red brick middle I slating inside solid. If not tell me how the fulfilment of insulation requirements would be fulfilled.
It must be for fencing and walls that needs no insulation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
ice4u999:
Morning nairalanders, I found out something really cool yesterday on a new built in Canada. After curing a newly pour concrete for the foundation of a new home which is also referred to as basement, the builder wrap all around the foundation with a rubber like material which will prevent water from penetrating the foundation and also direct water away from the concrete foundation down toward an open drain piping placed around the foundation. This will prevent water or moisture from ever penetrating the pores or permeable areas of the foundation. Cool right? I will love to apply this material in Nigeria. My question to our experts in the house is has this ever being used in Nigeria? If yes, can I use this material on my raft foundation? Thanks

It won't hurt to use it but the Canadian foundation isn't directly in water like yours in Nigeria might be.

Canada is protein against moisture, but you're most likely looking to protect against liquid water.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:16pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It won't hurt to use it but the Canadian foundation isn't directly in water like yours in Nigeria might be.

Canada is protein against moisture, but you're most likely looking to protect against liquid water.
You kno that idea is not bad at all.I might as well do that with my swampy build. I gt my thinking hat on now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 04, 2016
erico2k2:

You kno that idea is not bad at all.I might as well do that with my swampy build. I gt my thinking hat on now

Smashing..... grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:37pm On Jun 04, 2016
ice4u999:

You're in Lekki. Speak to Plusworld (Ikota, Lagos), they're in patnership with Hydroseal USA and they have the product you described and even more for waterproofing roofs, flashing and concrete decks.

Remember to tell them "NextHome" referred you for a little discount.

2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:53pm On Jun 04, 2016
@ ice4u999, this is exactly the type of product you're talking about.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 3:54pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It is something to try for sure because the builder said it was to protect the foundation against run off water, settling water and moisture by re-directing liquid away from the concrete to city drain via underground pipes.

But the question becomes how to apply it on my raft foundation. Hmmmm...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 3:56pm On Jun 04, 2016
n3xt:
@ ice4u999, this is exactly the type of product you're talking about.

@ n3xt you got it. That is exactly the material

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 3:57pm On Jun 04, 2016
[quote author=ice4u999 post=46271674]

[/quote

The blue wrap
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:06pm On Jun 04, 2016
ice4u999:

These stuffs are long in existence in Naija. It's just that so many people aren't aware and are comfortable with the traditional felt/coal tar solution.

A lot of this overseas company needs better representation here in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 04, 2016
ice4u999:

It is something to try for sure because the builder said it was to protect the foundation against run off water, settling water and moisture by re-directing liquid away from the concrete to city drain via underground pipes.

But the question becomes how to apply it on my raft foundation. Hmmmm...

The Canadian builder would have attended training by the manufacturers representative. My concern is if your Nigerian builder has done the same or if he will just order the material from the manufacturer and try applying it based on watching YouTube videos.

The material can work in Nigeria but it has to be applied correctly, make certain of that and make sure that they don't use it to hide shoddy work.

You can find the material in Nigeria no doubt, there's no material that exists out in the west that can't be found in Nigeria (Europe is only a 5 hour flight away). The artisanship and pride of workmanship are the issue.

Good luck.

PS: If I were you I would use this weekend to become an expert on this stuff so you don't get bamboozled grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 4:39pm On Jun 04, 2016
n3xt:

You're in Lekki. Speak to Plusworld (Ikota, Lagos), they're in patnership with Hydroseal USA and they have the product you described and even more for waterproofing roofs, flashing and concrete decks.

Remember to tell them "NextHome" referred you for a little discount.
Oh. Brabus u are close to Bros

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:55pm On Jun 04, 2016
segcymoor:

Oh. Brabus u are close to Bros

Bros dey near us na and he's really doing so well. Na leg we dey take waka go see am. Hin wan make we dey collect rebate sef on referrals. But you know the game na, na boys I send o!

I really love the roof restoration they're doing and I believe you'll agree with me that it is cool.

Those bros has really done well for themselves in the industry.

_____
Baba, you dey patronize the big Bros for Coastal Hire for construction equipments. Their prices are reasonable o and they have everything to make life easier for you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Demainman1: 4:55pm On Jun 04, 2016
Brabus, keep up the good work. It cannot always be negative for you. You have it. With little fine-tuning it will show.

Interior decorations is an area worth considering or like I adviced you before, partner with a good structural engineer and complement them with your IT skills and innovation. You will become a finished product.

I dey gbadù é

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ahmedonia4real(m): 5:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
AZUH:
@ egunmogaji ? This must be your hand work !! What are you building this time ? Mosque or police station ?

Lol.....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:07pm On Jun 04, 2016
erico2k2:

And when I said abroad well I mean where I'm at ie the UK.no hlloow blocks.is outer red brick middle I slating inside solid. If not tell me how the fulfilment of insulation requirements would be fulfilled.
It must be for fencing and walls that needs no insulation.

What I have seen in some New York City build is that they use the same regular 9inch hollow blocks but then at the back of it they also use those small color bricks.. so some sort of two layers; and no painting needed on those bricks. One day I will get a photo of it.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:21pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

What I have seen in some New York City build is that they use the same regular 9inch hollow blocks but then at the back of it they also use those small color bricks.. so some sort of two layers; and no painting needed on those bricks. One day I will get a photo of it.

Hajji M.

Hajji, the truth be told. Most of your guys are back in naija doing exactly what was done abroad. Establish company and plants where all this things are produced.

This (first pic below) is what you're talking about, right?

I wrote about this thing some days ago but my busy schedule last week couldn't allow me to give an update.

I was given an order to supply those bricks and this (pic 2 and 3) is what I could get but couldn't deliver before I went out of town last week.

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:30pm On Jun 04, 2016
n3xt:

Hajji, the truth be told. Most of your guys are back in naija doing exactly what was done abroad. Establish company and plants where all this things are produced.
This (first pic below) is what you're talking about, right?
I wrote about this thing some days ago but my busy schedule last week couldn't allow me to give an update.
I was given an order to supply those bricks and this (pic 2 and 3) is what I could get but couldn't deliver before I went out of town last week.

Exactly in the photo Brabus... it's good for insulation too... Thanks.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

The least coast has similar build conditions to Europe, mostly, due to weather.

Out here on the best coast, they mostly use textured concrete blocks with no need for the colored bricks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:44pm On Jun 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The least coast has similar build conditions to Europe, mostly, due to weather.
Out here on the best coast, they mostly use textured concrete blocks with no need for the colored bricks.

True sir. I have seen those too... Thx.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:47pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

Exactly in the photo Brabus... it's good for insulation too... Thanks.

Hajji M.

Sure, there's a weather resistive barrier (membrane or coating) in between the walls. A very good way to cut energy. It'll always be cool inside.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:48pm On Jun 04, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Ok I would love to see photo. Cos if U use 9 inch hollow blocks plus 2 inch brick then 2 inch in the middle for insulation then your wall o's 13 inch thick b4 plasterboard.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:50pm On Jun 04, 2016
erico2k2:

Ok I would love to see photo. Cos if U use 9 inch hollow blocks plus 2 inch brick then 2 inch in the middle for insulation then your wall o's 13 inch thick b4 plasterboard.

Look at the photos Brabus just posted... just like that. Mostly use on the external walls though

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) ... (3688) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.