Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,449 members, 7,846,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:21 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4468033 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (3686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:22pm On Jun 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

If I am reading this correctly then we also need to be aware of the wind picking up the roof like a sail it the hang is too much.
cheesy grin
Well if all pockets are isolated then the wind will not find any to pick
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
erico2k2:

I dnt know how that will it a racy with sand from our shoes in Nigeria. Dnt forget our roadside are not paved.

Been there, done that, and actually have it now.

First choice - stained concrete floor
2nd choice - Various types of tiles
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
lastpage:

Thank you Brabus.

But please, dont just show me pictures of Burglar proof (l can self-search for those on the internet! undecided ).

What l want yo to please contribute on, is how to make it fulfil the requirements, as highlighted in Babalose's post that l responded to.

Lets share a "meaningful and creative design discussion" on that.

I know you have brilliant ideas at times.

Fire me joor! grin grin

Lastpage!

A sliding or openable burglar proof can serve both security and safety needs of a house if well implemented.

First, you don't want them to be openable from the outside.

One of the major drawback of sliding burglar proofs is that they were normally installed on the outer part of the building in order to easily access the sliding glass door/window.

This type of installation poses a great security challenge as the grill can be whisked off the wall at the point of installation by burglars.

Another drawback is the ease of movement. Unless the sliding burglar proof is installed with wheel which I'll prefer installing one with pocket roller for smooth operation. The ones I've used always give issues with opening and I had to grease at all time.

Locking mechanism. Again this is coming up as it's very important to have a very good locking mechanism. One lock that I've found useful is the latching door mechanism used on sliding gates. A similar type that can be accessible from inside the house won't be a bad idea. For now, most people who uses sliding burglar proofs uses chain and padlocks.

Pic: latching door lock mechanism.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 7:30pm On Jun 19, 2016
I think i prefer engineered wood flooring.

Laminates do degrade over time, if furniture is dragged on it, water damage as well or if something heavy drops on it and it has a gouge.
With proper wood flooring, every couple of years, you can sand it and lacquer it. Another lease of life without actually replacing the whole thing.
What I do not get is that despite the abundance of wood we have in nija, why dont we make proper wood flooring ?

Just a thought.

agarawu23:
Laminate your floors don't tile it grin https://www.nairaland.com/3175768/dont-tile-floor-laminate-it

durable? Affordable?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jun 19, 2016
I swear, I need a degree in reverse psychology. I won the bet grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 7:32pm On Jun 19, 2016
erico2k2:

I dnt know how that will it a racy with sand from our shoes in Nigeria. Dnt forget our roadside are not paved.
i don't know anything about it, t
Any questions should be trown to the op of the link i shared wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 7:36pm On Jun 19, 2016
When are we going to start discussing what is actually feasible and economical to implement in the construction/building related industry rather than some fanciful ideas borne out of google ? As in, new design principles or new products that have actually been successfully implemented (Light weight parapet from Abdulwastec springs to mind)
OR
Do I get the feeling that every now and then when reputation gets bashed (dodgy builder, no positive news apart from castle in the bush), we start our google search again to try to remain relevant or gain new following.

#PaymentAfter5Weeks

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 7:36pm On Jun 19, 2016
mavverick:
I think i prefer engineered wood flooring.

Laminates do degrade over time, if furniture is dragged on it, water damage as well or if something heavy drops on it and it has a gouge.
With proper wood flooring, every couple of years, you can sand it and lacquer it. Another lease of life without actually replacing the whole thing.
What I do not get is that despite the abundance of wood we have in nija, why dont we make proper wood flooring ?

Just a thought.

it's not recommendable if the bolded are true.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 7:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Dude tell me about it.

Hence why I started the small garage apartment.

Once I seal the main house (roof, doors, windows) then I'll jejeli come back to working on the small house.

Don't read roofing and window quotes unless you're sitting down grin
this got me lol grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:55pm On Jun 19, 2016
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:58pm On Jun 19, 2016

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 8:06pm On Jun 19, 2016
abdulwastecx:

The issue is more complex than most people think.

Global warming, in adequate drain age system, sewage with lower capacity to carry the surface run off are some of the problem

brabus:

We are aware of the problem and the probable cause. I think we should be talking about fixes and solutions now.

And that's what I'm up for. I only need a catalyst or moderator for the discussion.

Okay....
If Abdulwastecx and some other professionals are going to be involved, l would offer my own 'humble opinion'.

"If we dont know where we are coming from, charting where we are going, will be a difficult task". - Proverb.

Correct me if l am wrong, when we build, we intend to have a "dry Living room" at the very least (Never seen anyone sleeping in his/her swimming pool).
So, when Flood comes along inside our house or compound, we want to ask: Where did it come from?

It could come from two places: I will endeavour to explain in more details.

1.) Rising environmental water (Flash Floods, Rain run-offs, River over flow, e.t.c).
These are all effects of water SUDDENLY rising above ENVISAGED/EXPECTED LEVELS.

In my own opinion (based only on what l have done in the past),
*when we want to build, we should go around the location, look for the nearest River/Stream (which will be the eventual "BASIN" for water collection within that area).

*Using appropriate equipment, ask for/ determine / identify the HIGHEST LEVEL of the Water body, ....on record. (Rainy season is the best time to determine this)

Thus, first thing to bear in mind is that your DPC MUST BE HIGHER than the highest level of that Water Body , at its highest point anytime, by a few FEET.
Otherwise, your house or compound will become the NEW "COLLECTION BASIN", when the floods come.

The above might initially imply that you will spend "extra" money on a higher than usual foundation but you wil have the last laugh!

Lastpage!

Contd.......
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 8:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
Contd from last post:

2.) The second source of water is actually as a result of our own house going below the water level, over time! (SINKING/SETTLEMENT).

Going by the fact that "majority" the whole of Western Nigeria is situated on soil layers that compact after a while (there are isolated Stone/Rocky locations but l am speaking in general terms.)... and surrounded by water bodies

Thus, we need to be very frank as to what reasonable level do we think this house will sink/go down to, after some years.
This is a "function of foundation" type used.

Until very recent, most people take the requirement for a Soil/Geo-technique Survey for granted (including me! ).
We also live under the false assumption that only a very high-rise building requires a soil test! WRONG!

I can tell you that depending on how really bad the soil is, l have seen Bungalows sink to their lintel, in some areas of Lagos and the Delta.

Only a Soil analysis can tell you "for sure", how bad the strata of soil some feet below, really are.
It could be "nice and solid" on the surface but shyte just a few feet down.

This brings me to the question of "Professionalism and competence" of our Soil Engineers:
[/b] The Client usually relies on their "experience and professionalism"... thus basing all their decisions on [b]what the Soil Engineer says.

But l have also seen soil Engineers who do the cheaper test (SPT vs CPT) in place of the more rigorous one that really tells you the answers you need to know, to make an informed decision (and if you leave it to the same Engineer, he simply gives you whatever he likes/does).... for maximisation of his own profit!

Let me point out that NOT ALL Engineers are into this shameful practice.

In addition to that, in areas were the Soil is really "bad-gan ni" (like a Silty, Brackish, Swamp Soil) and you are building higher than a Bungalow.....as expected, the Soil analysis would likely reveal a Pile, as the chosen method of foundation.

Now, Engineers in the house can bear-me-out that a "failed/broken pile" ....is as good as "No-Pile".

Just looking at the method used by some of our builders on Nairaland here (at least l have inspected a few, seen some in pictures as well), the possibility of a failure of a "at least one" of the Piles is very high (I am looking at say about 75%) WHY?

The method of pouring of the concrete into the Pile-Bore
(manual in most cases since the required equipment is costly beyond reach of most individual builders here) is very likely to lead to a Pile that is "mal-formed, broken mid-way, non-uniformly formed, e.t.c".... leading to a failed Pile.

"Friction Piles" dont necessarily fall into this category though such failure can also ridicule the "calculated friction" generated/required to keep the building upright.

Has anyone ever asked and wondered why so many buildings with "Pile Foundations" are sinking all over the place?
The answer lies in the above.

So, if the foundation is "bad", (as in failed Pile), in adequate, (as in wrong choice of foundation) or just poorly done, the house will start sinking over time.
Eventually, it will sink to the point where it will be below water level and therefore, water will either flow to the lowest level it can find (Your compound/Rooms) around, or it will start "seeping out" from the floor/ground.

Like said, the best way to guide against this is to[b] do the proper type and adequate type of FOUNDATION,[/b] using your Soil test results as a guide and using proper Engineers who have the right equipment, to do the job.

Lastpage!

Contd.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 8:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
Contd from previous post above

While DRAINAGE is key, it is not the most important of the three issues, because if your house is a BASIN (lower than the highest point of any nearby water basin) then Flood Water has the right to refuse to "climb up" any drainage you make! grin

Major Drainage (Canals and Waterways) are the responsibility of the Government as the are too financially intensive for a individual and again, the issue of "right of way" for such drainage cannot be addressed by individuals.

But "small-water drainage" within the compound is also essential to lead water away, especially from low-impact foundations like those of fences which are usually stand-alone and not connected in a mesh, which otherwise would have assisted in holding them together and afloat.

The worst problem this sort of drainage, if not done, will cause, is usually a weakening of the perimeter fence, which is it should fall, may allow bigger flood into the compound and expose the Main building foundation to unexpected forces of moving current.

Minor palliatives like use of water-repellent paint, Cement or composite mixtures are not intended to prevent flood or sinking, they are mostly for "aesthetic purposes" (Keeping walls dry and/or prevent water sippage).

The best solutions to prevent water trouble is to have a SOLID foundation and a high enough DPC.

The above are not exhaustive, just a snippet of my own thoughts.
`I am sure other professionals will offer different angles to the proble.

Lastpage!

@Brabus: Where is that your Book naa? Abi make we nor learn again? angry angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
-

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 8:16pm On Jun 19, 2016
n3xt:

A sliding or openable burglar proof can serve both security and safety needs of a house if well implemented.

First, you don't want them to be openable from the outside.

One of the major drawback of sliding burglar proofs is that they were normally installed on the outer part of the building in order to easily access the sliding glass door/window.

This type of installation poses a great security challenge as the grill can be whisked off the wall at the point of installation by burglars.

Another drawback is the ease of movement. Unless the sliding burglar proof is installed with wheel which I'll prefer installing one with pocket roller for smooth operation. The ones I've used always give issues with opening and I had to grease at all time.

Locking mechanism. Again this is coming up as it's very important to have a very good locking mechanism. One lock that I've found useful is the latching door mechanism used on sliding gates. A similar type that can be accessible from inside the house won't be a bad idea. For now, most people who uses sliding burglar proofs uses chain and padlocks.

Pic: latching door lock mechanism.

Thanks a lot Brabus, for the above post.

Let say in the case of fire:
*There is Smoke everywhere and life/death decisions have to be made within "three seconds".
*Add "PANIC" (The yeeeyee, Fire! Fire!! ) to the mix.
*The only route of escape is the Bedroom window.
*This window has a sliding window..... with a LOCK!

What kind of lock can it have, that one can open it within three seconds, get kids thrown-out through the window and jump-follow, without succumbing to smoke inhalation?

You dont want to be looking for any key at that point (They dont ever find it!) .... yet you dont want the Burglar-proof to be openable by just anyone who is able to break the Glass window from outside.

These are the challenges we need to discuss and solve.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
Alright who's going to use PVC windows or who has used it so I/we can learn from it.

Need to "window" the garage/apartment soonish.

Muchas gracias mi amigos y amigas grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 8:20pm On Jun 19, 2016
n3xt:
@ lastpage,

I'm taking notes from your keynote speech. I don't expect much attendance now as intelligent discussion has begun.

1. Identify the source

I am watching Switzerland Vs France (Live Euro 2016)

"Pogba" had hit the Swiss Bar TWICE! shocked shocked

So, please understand that l am not concentrating too much but l enjoy the "exchange of ideas/learning discussion" l am having with you and other peeps who can "focus" on real issues that benefit mankind.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Happykay: 8:28pm On Jun 19, 2016
n3xt:
@ lastpage,

I'm taking notes from your keynote speech. I don't expect much attendance now as intelligent discussion has begun.

1. Identify the source

What's the intelligent discussion?

Your mates are busy breaking new grounds

You are here building on nairaland pages

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 8:30pm On Jun 19, 2016
Did I offend anyone to get such an astronomical quote for EBM?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 8:36pm On Jun 19, 2016
What do you all think? High or fair?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:37pm On Jun 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 8:38pm On Jun 19, 2016
mavverick:
I just laugh.
It was actually his idea, he came up with it and I will provide evidence.
how many builders are sleeping on on NL instead of actually building houses. How many times do our see sege, skimanski, spyder spend the amount for time you spend here talking rubbish or hailing the chateau in the bush. They are busy doing good things for themselves, did I make the mistake of calling bosun a builder ? Lol

The other day egun molested him, he came to me crying for help. Egun molestation is just the beginning. My dossier is nearly complete.

He got help from the kingpin of fraudster, The head of the Snakes hiding in america. The senile old fuul, A sissy! When you make you stance known they will say its character assasination but they are not bold to have such shyster Builders handle thier building projects. Awon Omo ale jatijati.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 8:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
FastShipping:
What do you all think? High or fair?
Ode, go and ask your son. Baba Oshi Omo ale jatijati

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 8:41pm On Jun 19, 2016

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2016
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:55pm On Jun 19, 2016
--
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 8:56pm On Jun 19, 2016
FastShipping:

I wasn't joking when I called you inconsequential son of a slut. grin

I'm glad you confirmed that here.

When are you showing us the receipt of cement or blocks you've ever bought in your life if any?

Ode arindin omo aja.

Your mates are building gigantic homes while you are busy displaying stupidity and foolishness passed to you from home. You have been definitely cursed.
Baba slowpoke oba Awon fraudster. A sissy and a she man. Please na beg we dey beg you if america no good for your body oya ko tete padda wale oooo. Abi make we do osusu for you? You know sey your wife naa cheerful giver in america, A donatus freely dashing to your neigbhours. Have you cut off your tail behind your back? Baba Oshi Omo ale jatijati.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 8:59pm On Jun 19, 2016

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 9:09pm On Jun 19, 2016
FastShipping:
[s][/s]

Seek a mental health intervention. You have been cursed. You really need help. Your mates are building homes while you are here looking for phantom fraudster to fight on the internet. Seek help before you hit market. cry cry
I am already in the market na today yansh dey back. Kingpin of fraudster, have you sons Sent you owo onje? From the proceeds of thier fraudulent activities. Remember not to forget the DNA checks on your children because some of your children get yellow pash pash for leg and face. No sey i no tell you and if you you need contribution to bring you back no shame to let us know, we know sey things no easy for that side

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 9:16pm On Jun 19, 2016

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:21pm On Jun 19, 2016
-

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (3686) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1Teethosin(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.