Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (482) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4389241 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 17, 2016
destruction11:
Mavverick, i am thru with my calls, should we do it privately , publicly or I should just forget about it? Yeah! I am bold to tell you that you are the same AGoro i know. 100% sure.

Lmaooooooo cheesy cheesy

You no get backbone sef. The guy is embarrased of you,
Shame leave you dey catch me. Who wants association with a family of thieves and thugs, a never do wells?

Beanie, I don't know maverick but I am just tired of your bullshit. Pay up!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:58am On Aug 17, 2016
44chux:

All those whatsapp stuff grin
Infact I swore there and then never to join issues with any faceless moniker online again (b4 them go publish my address and bank login details).

I have this time capsules/ achieve site that backsup NL which I use to view hidden and modified posts. Any time I am down I just go there to have a good laugh

You put way too much exaggeration on that grin grin

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2016
mavverick:
Obtaining a prepayment meter from EKDC

Since I just finished my meter installation, I thought it would be good to share the experience. Mind, they say 45 working days after payment you should have your meter, this is true in some situations and in others not so true. The truth is that you need to goto thier office to chase up the meter, promise to grease a few palms and your meter shall truly come out. Someone also told me that if I pay N10k each per meter, I can get express service. Well I didn't go down that route, so I cannot vouch for it. The 45 working day wait suited me as I needed to plan for the power installation for the project in order to ensure a smooth and hitch free installation.

The process of obtaining a meter.

1. This applies to EKDC, other electricity distribution companies might be the same or different.

2. First of all you complete the form with all the details of the property, the technical details such as the horse power etc, I left that for my electrician to complete since I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to get it wrong.

3. The form needs to be stamped by an electrical contractor, any experienced electrical contractor with the correct stamp can do this. Alternatively you can go to your nearest business unit or NEPA office and get them to do this for you. It comes at a cost of between N5k – 10K per form, depending on how well you can negotiate.

4. They do say that a MIZ inspector needs to come and inspect the property before and after the meter installation.

5. You then proceed to getting an invoice from the NEPA office, of which you will take that to your nearest Access bank branch to pay for the prepayment meter that has been requested for.

6. After payment, you should have a receipt and some form of a letter or documentation from the bank.

7. At this point onwards, it’s a waiting game. You need to ensure that you have entered your correct phone number within the form and check the slip given to you by NEPA that it has the correct phone number.

8. The phone number you provided is what they will call you on once your meter is ready.

9. Between the time of payment and getting your meter, you need to ensure that the following is in place.
A. Wiring for the house
B. Load wiring for the house, for example the cable that feeds the meters and goes to the change over boxes if you have one.
C. You also need to ensure that the location of where the meter will be is an open and accessible place, this is because the NEPA officials can come for random inspections for those who tamper with the meters.
D. Placing your meter location in a place that is locked or not accessible will not work, they will probably request that the location be changed or the meter will not be installed, this will cost you extra in terms of cabling and delays. So the planning is very important here.

10. Before the meter is installed, the installer will call you and perhaps visit the site to check that the site is ready for meter installation. If any changes are required, they will tell you. It’s a good idea to ensure that your electrician is there at this stage, so that they can state what should be done, i.e. run 10mm or 16mm cables for the load or perhaps use a recline cable or the need for a busbar to distribute to the various meters.

11. On the day of the meter installation, the installer will turn up with the meters, a top up point and also the antenna for each meter.

12. If your meter order consists of different types of meters, for example a combination of single phase and three phase then it is likely that it will not be installed at the same time or it could be different people who will do the installation.

13. Even though within the money paid per meter, there is an installation fee element, nothing as a free lunch in Nigeria, and the likelihood is that the installers will need to be settled as well.

14. Ensure that the meter is tested.

15. Ensure that the CIU, consumer interface unit is tested. This only works on mains power (NEPA) and you cannot topup using a generator.

Excellent.

Even though I won't be joining with Nepa I like how's easy you've written the process for others.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2016
I recently sent someone a link to this thread but I cringe thinking of what that person would be reading here.
We now have posters using explicit gutter language.
I think this thread should be closed ASAP. It's an embarrassment.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 17, 2016
Bibiana24:

Hehehe cheesy
So, for your mind, you think that you have been throwing rocks? You are just a resident clown.

And that's the truth grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by destruction11: 12:15pm On Aug 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

And that's the truth grin
yes!!! grin no wonder you started using report. Dont bite more than u can chew. I warned u not to pick on me.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 17, 2016
I'm shocked to see all these companies posting their ads on such a tumultuous thread.

Do you all have no image/brand to protect? sad

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 17, 2016
gbadexy:
I recently sent someone a link to this thread but I cringe thinking of what that person would be reading here.
We now have posters using explicit gutter language.
I think this thread should be closed ASAP. It's an embarrassment.

This is just one thread, closing it without Seun loading an IP based banning scheme won't work.

IMHO.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

This is just one thread, closing it without Seun loading an IP based banning scheme won't work.

IMHO.
The more the drama, the more the traffic for the owner.
I see no reason someone as matured and level headed as hajj is not allowed to moderate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 17, 2016
19 more to go grin

Maybe I'll take a break from NL then to celebrate cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 12:33pm On Aug 17, 2016
Happykay:
Bosun davies shoyeye
It will be honorable if you can pay the balance of your debt
Don't listen to the council of the wicked
Bosun Davies shuteye I will repeat my self once again. If you pay Maverick 1kobo again you are a even bigger fool than Maverick grin

I don talk my own.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 12:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
I can see things from your POV !
Has Bosun prostrated and apologised to you ? If so, that must have been quiet.

EgunMogaji:
19 more to go grin

Maybe I'll take a break from NL then to celebrate cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 17, 2016
mavverick:
I can see things from your POV !
Has Bosun prostrated and apologised to you ? If so, that must have been quiet.

He didn't apologize but I told you all from the beginning that he won't. See, I understand people with corrupted moral fiber.

Same way I knew he had a set percentage of your money he was going to pay, he was never going to pay in full. So it wasn't anything you said or posted that made him stop. He reached a nice round figure that was precalculated. (Or maybe he's really broke and biz will pick up now that I'm off his case, grudgingly).

I eventually added him to the long list of real and fake userids that I consider banished because of the emails and stuff I was getting begging me to stop from folks.

I didn't consider downstream because the theme now became "EgunMogaji is killing Brabus business finish and he doesn't have money to pay us suppliers for material and labor that we supplied". I unwittingly became the excuse for a different sham.

In any case even though he hasn't admitted it but I got my point across and my thread stays for eternity.

PS: when userids are dead and buried they remain so. Someone's going to have to learn that he doesn't exist again no matter how much he tries. wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by destruction11: 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2016
Grown ups lying Like this shocked na wa o grin say that to newbie here sogbo? We all knew you turn your back at him when he dissed your roofing [size=44pt]Abe orule[/size] . cheesy cheesy

Apologize to people that aren't feeding you? God4bid. You are not Edumare so stop feeling important.

Hypocrites!!!

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:08pm On Aug 17, 2016
Hmmmmn

Interesting.

Are you serious that folks were reaching out to you complaining that you spoiling his business was the reason for them not getting paid. How are you sure that those user ID's are not one from Bosun himself trying to gag you.

I once asked a username here that emailed me for a contact number, and straight away they ran off grin. I have a sneaky suspicion the person is LastPage under a different disguise. I think the creation of new user ID's should not be as easy as the way it currently is, there are things that can be done, it will not eradicate it, but it will make it a little harder. For now, I do not reply any username that emails me, except for the tried and tested and the very few with integrity.

EgunMogaji:

He didn't apologize but I told you all from the beginning that he won't. See, I understand people with corrupted moral fiber.

Same way I knew he had a set percentage of your money he was going to pay, he was never going to pay in full. So it wasn't anything you said or posted that made him stop. He reached a nice round figure that was precalculated.

I eventually added him to the long list of real and fake userids that I consider banished because of the emails and stuff I was getting begging me to stop from folks.

I didn't consider downstream because the theme now became "EgunMogaji is killing Brabus business finish and he doesn't have money to pay us suppliers for material and labor that we supplied". I unwittingly became the excuse for a different sham.

In any case even though he hasn't admitted it but I got my point across and my thread stays for eternity.

PS: when userids are dead and buried they remain so. Someone's going to have to learn that he doesn't exist again.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 17, 2016
mavverick:
Hmmmmn

Interesting.

Are you serious that folks were reaching out to you complaining that you spoiling his business was the reason for them not getting paid. How are you sure that those user ID's are not one from Bosun himself trying to gag you.

I once asked a username here that emailed me for a contact number, and straight away they ran off grin. I have a sneaky suspicion the person is LastPage under a different disguise. I think the creation of new user ID's should not be as easy as the way it currently is, there are things that can be done, it will not eradicate it, but it will make it a little harder. For now, I do not reply any username that emails me, except for the tried and tested and the very few with integrity.

Trust me Bro they are legit.

The only way I could have been had was if he begged them to lie to me but it wasn't fake userids. I checked.

And this covers all types of supplies.

It'll be hard pressed for me to do business with, recommend to or take most folks other than already vetted people seriously on Nairaland until Seun starts banning based on IP address.

PS: I was also told that there are workers owed with no net access to come Nairaland come complain. I don't want their curses meant for Brabus to catch me even though my return to sender is blessed much and heavy pass grin

Maybe one day Battabox go pick up the trail and do an expo wink

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by destruction11: 1:35pm On Aug 17, 2016
They spent decades of their hustle on drinks and ashana. Thank God dollar is 380 grin grin

#abeoruleroofing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2016
Hi @Next,
With all the many flaws that people speak of, I want to believe you're truly a good person at heart. Things probably just caught up with you or you used the wrong middlemen and things happened. Not a basis to do the wrong thing but stuff happens.

I've seen mention that you attend RCCG and also seen you quote from Open heavens.

I will like to beg you in the name of whatever it is that you hold dear, what gives you that drive and makes you work hard, please refund whatever it is you made a promise to. There is no price too big to pay to retain your honor and integrity.

Forget whatever associated mud has been slung and if indeed you made a promise, then fulfill it.

Prove people wrong. Let their bets go wrong. Pls do the honorable thing.

Thanks in advance.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2016
NLresidentQS:
There is this slab I saw, opposite Eden garden at Utako, Abuja. It was a Sunday so there was no work going on at the site. And the place was locked, so I couldn't get close to take a shot.

I would love to incorporate it in any future build but I don't really understand the slab. First, I can't see any beams coming down below the slab. Then it is as if it is not a full slab... I mean..it is as if it is filled with clay at regular intervals. I really hope someone will have an idea.

Please educate.

@Abdulwastex, how are you feeling
@skimanski, spyder880 and other engineers in here.

thank you.

I am doing well sir....
Now in Abuja, a bit tired moving around.

What you saw is what is called ribbed slab or waffle slab.
Ribbed slab is having rib beam along one direction for one way slab with hollow block, clay block or polystyrene pod replacing some concrete layers below the neutral axis.

Waffle slab is having rib in the two direction of the slab I two way spanning slab.

All these slabs can have a concrete layer called typing which ranges from 40mm to 100mm depending on the floor functionality.

The clay block, sancrete block must have some minimum strength selling by bs codes.

These type of slab is useful for floors that are not heavily loaded.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2016
Someone came to me to complain as well, and the person does indeed have access to the internet. Some of those Cotonou boys go suffer pass, internet is not in their vocabulary and I dont blame them. You work, you get paid that is how it should be.

EgunMogaji:

Trust me Bro they are legit.

The only way I could have been had was if he begged them to lie to me but it wasn't fake userids. I checked.

And this covers all types of supplies.

It'll be hard pressed for me to do business with, recommend to or take most folks other than already vetted people seriously on Nairaland until Seun starts banning based on IP address.

PS: I was also told that there are workers owed with no net access to come Nairaland come complain. I don't want their curses meant for Brabus to catch me even though my return to sender is blessed much and heavy pass grin

Maybe one day Battabox go pick up the trail and do an expo wink

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 2:57pm On Aug 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Any chance of a pic or drawing? This sounds interesting.

Here are some pics....many high rise buildings in the Victoria Island area of Lagos are built using hollow clay pot floor slab instead of solid concrete slab.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2016
olumide4christ:

Here are some pics....many high rise buildings in the Victoria Island area of Lagos are built using hollow clay pot floor slab instead of solid concrete slab.

Thanks.

Seems straightforward. I think we discussed this before by AbdulWastecx.

I wonder why no one has used it yet in here.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 3:12pm On Aug 17, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am doing well sir....

Ribbed slab is having rib beam along one direction for one way slab with hollow block, clay block or polystyrene pod replacing some concrete layers below the neutral axis.

Waffle slab is having rib in the two direction of the slab I two way spanning slab.

All these slabs can have a concrete layer called typing which ranges from 40mm to 100mm depending on the floor functionality.

The clay block, sancrete block must have some minimum strength selling by bs codes.

I'm sorry Abdulwastecx, I beg to differ a bit on your definition.

NLresidentQS said he saw clay bricks within the floor. That's a hollow clay pot floor slab. If it were a ribbed floor slab or waffle floor slab, there won't be any clay bricks embedded in the floor.
In clay pot floor slabs, there are no indentations when you look at the soffit of the slab. You only see lines of clay bricks & lines of concrete showing the rib beams cast together with the clay pot bricks.
In ribbed and waffle floor slabs, you won't see any clay bricks at the soffit of the slab; all you see are lateral lines of concrete representing the rib beams alone (ribbed floor) or crossed lines of concrete representing rib beams crossing each other (waffle floor), giving the soffit of the floor a wafer-like view, hence the name waffle.

Pics 1&2 - hollow clay pot floors
Pic 3 - ribbed floor
Pic 4 - waffle floor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 3:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am doing well sir....

Also the waffle floor is formed using special forms...see pix below.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2016
Something tells me that itswell1, mavverick , egunmojagi , erico2k2 is .......

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 3:59pm On Aug 17, 2016
olumide4christ:

NLresidentQS said he saw clay bricks within the floor. That's a hollow clay pot floor slab. If it were a ribbed floor slab or waffle floor slab, there won't be any clay bricks embedded in the floor.
In clay pot floor slabs, there are no indentations when you look at the soffit of the slab. You only see lines of clay bricks & lines of concrete showing the rib beams cast together with the clay pot bricks.
In ribbed and waffle floor slabs, you won't see any clay bricks at the soffit of the slab; all you see are lateral lines of concrete representing the rib beams alone (ribbed floor) or crossed lines of concrete representing rib beams crossing each other (waffle floor), giving the soffit of the floor a wafer-like view, hence the name waffle.

Pic 3 - ribbed floor
Pic 4 - waffle floor

Structurally speaking their is no such thing as '' hollow clay pot floor '' it is called ribbed/waffle floor with hollow clay pot.

All those floor you explained above can either be ribbed or waffle slab, the difference been the method of construction and the type of former used.

For ribbed slab structurally speaking, we have ribbed with permanent former ( ribbed slab with form been part of the slab) this form can design to contribute to load resistant of the slab or just a member to replaces concrete section alone. When it is design to contribute to load resistance of the slab it must have a minimum strength of ( 14N/mm2 in accordance to BS8110). It can made of burnt brick like the one above, sancrete block, or polystyrene pod.

Ribbed slab with temporary former are the type where the form work are removed after the concrete of the rib and topping have set to gain the required strength after 28days. This type of ribbed or waffle slab have rib beam design like a T- flanged beam with the topping design to carry load. This ribbed or waffle slab can have higher center to center distance and when viewed from beneath after formwork is removed have serious of depressed region.

Rib beam in either ribbed slab or waffle slab can either be in-situ cast of precast. In-situ cast is used when formwork can easily be sourced and where building floors have irregular shapes. While, precast rib beam is suitable for a symmetrical floor system and involved the use of precast rib beam that will carry the clay port, polystyrene pod or sancrete block former and the topping is cast on site.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NLresidentQS(m): 6:21pm On Aug 17, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am doing well sir....

Ribbed... Waffle..
I love this no beam-showing idea.

Thanks for the great reply bro.

Speedy recovery oga mi.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NLresidentQS(m): 6:21pm On Aug 17, 2016
olumide4christ:

Pic 3 - ribbed floor
Pic 4 - waffle floor

Thanks boss.... Great explanation.

May God increase your knowledge.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2016
It's getting real!!!

Just received some pics of the fence construction from my brother-in-law. The excavation doesn't look as neat as I've see on NL, but since I'm not on ground there is not much I can do.

See how close my neigbor's building is to the boundary.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
msogunro:
It's getting real!!!

Just received some pics of the fence construction from my brother-in-law. The excavation doesn't look as neat as I've see on NL, but since I'm not on ground there is not much I can do.

See how close my neigbor's building is to the boundary.

That your land area... it's not surprise that the excavation doesn't look neat... too rocky. It looks ok though, especially in the last pic.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 7:58pm On Aug 17, 2016
mufutau55:

That your land area... it's not surprise that the excavation doesn't look neat... too rocky. It looks ok though, especially in the last pic.

Hajji M.

Very rocky. They've been digging for two full days now. I was told some areas were extremely difficult to dig.

Re: the alakuta's you mentioned sometime ago. My people have asked around and haven't been able to locate any alakuta's.

If anyone knows of alakuta's (manual boulder breakers) in Ibadan or that can travel to Ibadan, please let me know. Ese!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 8:01pm On Aug 17, 2016
mavverick:
Obtaining a prepayment meter from EKDC

Since I just finished my meter installation, I thought it would be good to share the experience. Mind, they say 45 working days after payment you should have your meter, this is true in some situations and in others not so true. The truth is that you need to goto thier office to chase up the meter, promise to grease a few palms and your meter shall truly come out. Someone also told me that if I pay N10k each per meter, I can get express service. Well I didn't go down that route, so I cannot vouch for it. The 45 working day wait suited me as I needed to plan for the power installation for the project in order to ensure a smooth and hitch free installation.

The process of obtaining a meter.

1. This applies to EKDC, other electricity distribution companies might be the same or different.

2. First of all you complete the form with all the details of the property, the technical details such as the horse power etc, I left that for my electrician to complete since I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to get it wrong.

3. The form needs to be stamped by an electrical contractor, any experienced electrical contractor with the correct stamp can do this. Alternatively you can go to your nearest business unit or NEPA office and get them to do this for you. It comes at a cost of between N5k – 10K per form, depending on how well you can negotiate.

4. They do say that a MIZ inspector needs to come and inspect the property before and after the meter installation.

I actually thought after you collect the form for free and you pay the meter fee, you don't pay any money again. One PHCN man in the Lekki environs told me I have to pay 10k per form and I told him to go to blazes. So is this money official or just a back end collection.

Madam gabbytabby, please any comment on this Ma'am?

(1) (2) (3) ... (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chimexdnice1(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.