Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,221 members, 7,860,412 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:38 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4499049 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (3693) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 12:12am On Oct 17, 2015
abdulwastecx:

i really love to build this simple flat for myself in suleja next year
the roof is low cost type, simple flat roof with long span aluminum roofing sheet
oh, i mistook the roof for what you're saying about polystyrene fascia, Allah would enrich you from his benevolence so that your dream would come to fruition. I'm always happy to see hardworking young men actualise their dreams.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:16am On Oct 17, 2015
mufutau55:

Wow. This is a very nice design. Designed by your company? Very nice.
What is the external dimensions.. trying to see if it can be used as a BQ at back of main building.

Hajji M.

But Hajj, don't you care about the BQ matching the main building for conformity?

Just curious Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:42am On Oct 17, 2015
befto:
Fellow NL,
Just need some advice on a few things.
I am currently in the process of finishing the first floor of my project which will lead into the roofing stage,
I plan on stopping for christmas in the first week of December and looking to continue in March/April when God blesses us with more funds.
I still have a long way but I am breaking things down into phases/milestones.
For now I plan on doing the roof, windows and doors by xmas.
Is this advicable? One school of thought says go for it and knock these out of the way and another says that I should only do the roof and leave the others till next year when I plan on doing more. The reason being that if I do the windows and doors now then there is some chance of getting them damaged/stolen etc before I continue again.
I just want to seek your opinion on the pro/cons of doing them now as opposed to next year when I plan on doing more.
I am definitely doing the roof so what's in question is whether to do the doors and windows now as well.

As usual thanks for all your candid responses

If you are going to do the doors and windows with burglary and actually install and plastered them to the walls, then go for it.
But if not... defer them until later. But make sure you also have the burglary to secure all the windows and doors to secure the entrances.
By doing the above, you can actually buy stuffs and store them inside the building. Just my opinion.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:51am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

But Hajj, don't you care about the BQ matching the main building for conformity?
Just curious Sir.

I will surely look for matching and conformity.. I am talking about how it is designed.. I have seen a lot of Duplex building same way...
And I am sure if Abdul was the one that designed that he can also design a nice duplex to go along with it. Look at some Fippycbk designs.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 12:52am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm sure someone can post some shyteshack.

What you call a "shyteshack" is home to someone. Another person may not be able to afford that shyteshack. It doesnt make that person less hardworking or less qualified. If you dont see that, you are best left on your own.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:54am On Oct 17, 2015
abdulwastecx:
polystyrene fascia: a way to save cost and reduce load on a building

This is what I and you have been talking about it. If you are the one installing this, please provide us with installation pictures and costs plus other relevant helpful info. This may be a good alternatives for not so heavy parapets.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:56am On Oct 17, 2015
adanny01:

What you call a "shyteshack" is home to someone. Another person may not be able to afford that shyteshack. It doesnt make that person less hardworking or less qualified. If you dont see that, you are best left on your own.

You Sir have a clinical level of inferiority complex.

While it's funny watching you but you may consider seeking help.

All this na story story, post the picture of your N2m 4 bedroom bungalow once and for all. You can't because it only exists in your fairytale grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 17, 2015
mufutau55:

This is what I and you have been talking about it. If you are the one installing this, please provide us with installation pictures and costs plus other relevant helpful info. This may be a good alternatives for not so heavy parapets.

Hajji M.

I personally can't wait for his data. I DO indeed love the parapets but not the cost. So this will be a win win for me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:01am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I personally can't wait for his data. I DO indeed love the parapets but not the cost. So this will be a win win for me.

Not only the cost... but the weight of situ parapet scares me.

He has also given me a private lessons on Pre-cast parapets and polystyrene decking slabs. The guy is good and informative.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 1:09am On Oct 17, 2015
mufutau55:

You know. I am also happy this thread was opened... If not where could be discussing varieties of topics like this.

Hajji M.

Thanks for the thread sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:11am On Oct 17, 2015
smiley001:

Thanks for the thread sir.

Thank you sir.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 1:14am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

You Sir have a clinical level of inferiority complex.

While it's funny watching you but you may consider seeking help.

All this na story story, post the picture of your N2m 4 bedroom bungalow once and for all. You can't because it only exists in your fairytale grin

Exactly like d other guy but i know it isnt he. Another one.

What do you have, superiority complex? It seemed so.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:15am On Oct 17, 2015
@adanny01
@EgunMogaji
@abouzaid
@All other participants

Please let us move on... you guys knows what I mean. We have all made our points. We are all enjoying this thread. Thank you all.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ikhige(m): 1:33am On Oct 17, 2015
abdulwastecx:
polystyrene fascia: a way to save cost and reduce load on a building

@abdulwastecx

Please lecture us more on this, you go work for Benin-City? Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ikhige(m): 1:34am On Oct 17, 2015
adanny01:

@adanny01 and @EgunMogaji Bros abeg una dey corrupt my thinking with this una argument, e don do!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:39am On Oct 17, 2015
adanny01:

You're the common denominator you figure it out. I'm not your errand boy, just show me your N2m 4 bedroom bungalow or STFU already grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:41am On Oct 17, 2015
mufutau55:
@adanny01
@EgunMogaji
@abouzaid
@All other participants

Please let us move on... you guys knows what I mean. We have all made our points. We are all enjoying this thread. Thank you all.

Hajji M.

The Don has spoken and I'm done before I'm made an offer that I can't refuse grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:43am On Oct 17, 2015
Ive missed alot.

@abouzaid Im among the people who like you. I didn't know U were talking about 6" blocks. My bad. Thought it was 9" that U said they make 70-something per bag.

I did wrong by trying to do a cost analysis with you? Because I can see you started subbing me in your comments. I said 80 bags (which was a tentative number based on experience) and you should know that the number of bags used depends on your mix, thickness etc. I've used about 250bags for German floor of a 15x16m bugalow before (public building)

I don't think there's any conspiracy among builders here. There are people you expect to back you up but It's not by force for anyone to stick out their neck.

Bottom line- You're too emotional. Saddle up Sir.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 1:45am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

You're the common denominator you figure it out. I'm not your errand boy, just show me your N2m 4 bedroom bungalow or STFU already grin

Did you grow up in Ibadan? You sure sound like CityNG? This will be my second pointless argument with you this time around on your third moniker. Exactly the same argumentative methods and the same language.

If your identity is blown this time, would you deactivate this moniker like you did the 2 other ones i knew you.

So EgunMogaji abi na CityNG abi na Samarin, your language sells you out no matter how you change your moniker. Bring the next one and it wont change who you are.You have been stereotyped and i can smell you like fish from far away.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:52am On Oct 17, 2015
@befto After your Roofing, fix the burglary, fix the doors. Suspend the windows till later. If you dont want to spend d money, and you have a trusted Aluminium guy like @adeekiti, you can pay him about 70% upfront.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:59am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

The Don has spoken and I'm done before I'm made an offer that I can't refuse grin

From the look of that picture... as in Don Corleone. Scary! Thank you.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 5:43am On Oct 17, 2015
adanny01:

Did you grow up in Ibadan? You sure sound like CityNG? This will be my second pointless argument with you this time around on your third moniker. Exactly the same argumentative methods and the same language.

If your identity is blown this time, would you deactivate this moniker like you did the 2 other ones i knew you.

So EgunMogaji abi na CityNG abi na Samarin, your language sells you out no matter how you change your moniker. Bring the next one and it wont change who you are.You have been stereotyped and i can smell you like fish from far away.
he is who you think he is but let him be so that the powers that be won't go after you. i like your approach, it shows that you're very considerate of people around you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 6:11am On Oct 17, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I'm of the opinion that you were right and the engineer was wrong.
septic/soakaway system of solid waste treatment system is design based on the number of occupant, height of water table, nature of surrounding soil( sandy soil, clayish soil), rain intensity in the area and intensity of surface run off.

soakaway built on a soil with high water level will need to be constantly evacuated.
soakaway/septic tank built without consideration for number of users will need also need to be evacuated constantly.

Soakway are also very dangerous since they pollute underground ground water when built closer or inline with the bore hole position

Thsnk you. I spoke to my sources who work mainly in the locality and their comments is in line with yours.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:06am On Oct 17, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

i proposed this polystyrene fascia to the client for repair work in the east.
my reason for such proposal is due to the following reasons
1. the building was built with load bearing partition walls with the upper floor built with solid 6" block
2. the upper floor of the storey building lack any supportive edge column
3. the building is relatively weak and any torsional moment may be detrimental to structural integrity in future.
4. cost advantage of insitu cast fascia
5. time advantage over precast and insitu fascia.

When the installation is complete i will present a detailed analysis including the cost, logistics involve in the purchase, transportation and installation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:44am On Oct 17, 2015
Ikhige:

@abdulwastecx

Please lecture us more on this, you go work for Benin-City? Thanks

We would love to come over for work sir...thanks for the offer .

As regards to the lecture, i will d my best to give as much detail as i can .....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 17, 2015
KolaShangOne:
@befto After your Roofing, fix the burglary, fix the doors. Suspend the windows till later. If you dont want to spend d money, and you have a trusted Aluminium guy like @adeekiti, you can pay him about 70% upfront.

I don't understand this part. Care to explain?

I'm always looking at ways to save money though I'm not at that stage yet obviously.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 17, 2015
abdulwastecx:

i proposed this polystyrene fascia to the client for repair work in the east.
my reason for such proposal is due to the following reasons
1. the building was built with load bearing partition walls with the upper floor built with solid 6" block
2. the upper floor of the storey building lack any supportive edge column
3. the building is relatively weak and any torsional moment may be detrimental to structural integrity in future.
4. cost advantage of insitu cast fascia
5. time advantage over precast and insitu fascia.

When the installation is complete i will present a detailed analysis including the cost, logistics involve in the purchase, transportation and installation

So this seems to be a retrofit.

It's impressive that you are able to ascertain all of this even though you didn't do the original work. Nice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 12:16pm On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I pose the same questions right back at you.

If I don't know and if the posters did not say as you suggested that they are building for farmers then how do you also know they are?

I haven't seen any 4 bedroom bungalows posted on Nairaland that was built for N2 million, If you have evidence then share the thread.

This is becoming like fishing in a stocked pond.

I have also not seen on Nairaland. The question is whether it is only on Nairaland that projects can be posted. How many people even post on Nairaland?. There are clients that some Nairaland members build for who do not want their projects to be displayed on Nairaland. So many building projects are being done everyday. How many of such gets to Nairaland?. A builder here never knew of Nairaland until he was introduced by a Nairaland member after he handled his project. There are so many of such people out there using economical ways to deliver projects on a tight budget.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 1:33pm On Oct 17, 2015
NL1960:

I have also not seen on Nairaland. The question is whether it is only on Nairaland that projects can be posted. How many people even post on Nairaland?. There are clients that some Nairaland members build for who do not want their projects to be displayed on Nairaland. So many building projects are being done everyday. How many of such gets to Nairaland?. A builder here never knew of Nairaland until he was introduced by a Nairaland member after he handled his project. There are so many of such people out there using economical ways to deliver projects on a tight budget.

bros please free him, i just want the issue to pass. it would have been a worthwhile discussion if he was a builder and i can't just see anything to gain from arguing with him, my only disappointment is the nairaland builders, i have no doubt that if i launch a thread now to build this house, many of them would start engaging in false criticism because they are protecting their interests so i have decided to be a passive observer on this thread henceforth, so please free him.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nameoh: 2:45pm On Oct 17, 2015
Experts in the house,
I am currently building on a waterlogged area. Am about to do the septic tank for seawage.
i was told it will be done with concrete from the bottom to the top as against the use of block on a dry land.
Please is there no way i can reduced the cost like using only conrate wall for like 3 coaches then use block work to complete the remaiing coaching.
i am thinking of using waterproof cement to plaster the wall of the septic tant so that ground water will not be able to enter the septic tank via the block works.
please what do you think , will i save cost and also maintain quality?
You opinion is also highly accepted.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 17, 2015
nameoh:
Experts in the house,
I am currently building on a waterlogged area. Am about to do the septic tank for seawage.
i was told it will be done with concrete from the bottom to the top as against the use of block on a dry land.
Please is there no way i can reduced the cost like using only conrate wall for like 3 coaches then use block work to complete the remaiing coaching.
i am thinking of using waterproof cement to plaster the wall of the septic tant so that ground water will not be able to enter the septic tank via the block works.

A brilliant and timely post.

I'm hoping one of the pros can do a write up on this .

How many sets of septic tanks are you digging and how large is your structure?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:27pm On Oct 17, 2015
nameoh:
Experts in the house,
Hmm I am afraid u may regret it.
Like u rightly said ...Water log....so it gona be pure concrete work.

-------
As a matter of fact, u may still have problem of water leakage even if not properly done with concrete.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (3693) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.