Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,877 members, 7,862,950 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:44 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (591) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506082 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) ... (3695) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:29pm On Jan 23, 2017
fash78:
Folks please be wary of an individual called sova. You can check one of his threads here https://www.nairaland.com/1811572/project-installation-fitted-walldrobe-lagos/5.
This guy was recommended to me by Hajji Muftau but he bleeped up big time. Hajji right now is regretting sticking his neck out for him to get him jobs. I gave him a job to design, fabricate and install all my kitchen cabinets and closets for my build. Most of you here know my project. The scope of work is 4 kitchens and 14 rooms. He billed me for both materials and labour. He promised to deliver the work by November last year. He has collected so far 92.4% of the total sum of the project. Right now he has abandoned the job and not picking calls.

He only finished 1 of the four units. The other three units were left uncompleted. he didnt bring the granite slabs for all the remaining 3 kitchens neither did he finish all the kitchen cabinets and the closets for the remaining units.

Folks do not fall victims to this guy i beg you in the name of God especially those in diaspora.

The guy is not picking my calls neither Hajji Muftau's calls also. I will go to any length to recover my money but I thought I should warn any other person contemplating giving him jobs, don't waste your money o. I have done my part.

I am glad this has come to the open forum... after we have tried to settle this offline. Thank you for your patience, Fash78.
I am sorry this has turned out to be a disaster for Fash78 and I. I have recommended so many artisans both on NL and Non-NL
before and I was never in this kind of swindle or absconded business. This has left me sad... Money is not easy nowadays.
I have recommended this guy Sova to more than 10 people and has done satisfactory job. I did not see this one coming.
We have been trying to locate this guy for several months now... but all to no avail. But I am still working hard on this.
I have always stood behind those that I recommended but this is the first time my name has been dragged in mud.
All I have ever done is to help the Client and the Artisans... never demanded any form of payback from anyone.
With this disappointment, no recommendation will be forthcoming from me anymore.
I have supplied all his pictures I have and all the known address but he is yet to be found, but he still pay for his crime.
This has left me perplexed.... and lesson to never trust anyone.. I will keep working on this guy.

Hajji M.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 7:36pm On Jan 23, 2017
All I want to do this year is to just read and learn..............................I will not be making too many colorful comments with big fonts. grin grin grin

Sorry Fash and thanks for calling the idiot out. Everybody be warned!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
twinskenny:
We are installing this for a client... He us wary of fire incident... Remotely monitor too
What do you mean "wary of fire incident"?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
back2sender:
Thats how one omonile came to my place to disturb in my fencing. Luckily my kid bro in the army from Borno was around. He was putting on the army desert uniform hence the omonile and his thugs said naa man o war. My brother go call some army colleagues in ajah axis (espirit de corp too bam for military guys). Army show in convoys omonile jar enter bush, one was caught and was dealt with and the army guys promised to come back.
Come see begging from the omonile and family. We finish fencing dem no near there. We went to make an entry in the police station down (proactive) incase of any future mistake from them and naa sars we go Use pick them next time from ikeja.
It took some of my time but its worth it, The message don spread like wide fire sey that my place naa no go area.
This is how you deal with omonile, artisans and thier likes.
I said something similar to this last yr but Egunmogaji disputed. I believe with pressure like this on them they would give up on you.

Lucky you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:49pm On Jan 23, 2017
back2sender:

No payment of any fee, naa if i like. They are now begging me that anything i have for the boys i should drop. I have 3 omonile living in my Street and every one of dem dey behave demselves now because they now know i have an army kid brother and a police officer as my senior and got to know where i work. Right now when dey pass my house they look the other way
Your the boss of the jungle grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
twinskenny:

In Nigeria we have hikvision and winpose both are quite reliable.. And can watch over sea..

We have them in both AHD and Analog
This requires monthly payment?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
mufutau55:

I am glad this has come to the open forum... after we have tried to settle this offline. Thank you for your patience, Fash78.
I am sorry this has turned out to be a disaster for Fash78 and I. I have recommended so many artisans both on NL and Non-NL
before and I was never in this kind of swindle or absconded business. This has left me sad... Money is not easy nowadays.
I have recommended this guy Sova to more than 10 people and has done satisfactory job. I did not see this one coming.
We have been trying to locate this guy for several months now... but all to no avail. But I am still working hard on this.
I have always stood behind those that I recommended but this is the first time my name has been dragged in mud.
All I have ever done is to help the Client and the Artisans... never demanded any form of payback from anyone.
With this disappointment, no recommendation will be forthcoming from me anymore.
I have supplied all his pictures I have and all the known address but he is yet to be found, but he still pay for his crime.
This has left me perplexed.... and lesson to never trust anyone.. I will keep working on this guy.

Hajji M.
So sorry to hear this. I guess he built trust first before he spewed his venom.

But then, i think you should hope for the best until yo hear from him. Perhpas give him excuses he might be in hospital or have some sort of medical condition preventing him from reaching out to you? shocked

I want to believe this is beeing going on for a while

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by glogirl(f): 9:13pm On Jan 23, 2017
Maybe he went for the kill in MMM. A lot of artisans took huge unnecessary risks and are now on the run because the money is gone.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:01pm On Jan 23, 2017
Empiree:
So sorry to hear this. I guess he built trust first before he spewed his venom.
But the, i think you should hope for the best until yo hear from him. Perhpas give him excuses he might be in hospital or
have some sort of medical condition preventing him from reaching out to you? shocked
I want to believe this is beeing going on for a while.

The point is that he gave some excuses in the beginning when the disappearance first happened, and he apologized until I learnt late that he totally disappeared now. Regardless of the excuse he knows how to call me or Fash. Unless he has been kidnapped.. which I doubt.
This guy went as far as Enugu to do a friend's work, while will I doubt him in his home base of Lagos... I tire for Naija and trust o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 23, 2017
Empiree:
I said something similar to this last yr but Egunmogaji disputed. I believe with pressure like this on them they would give up on you.

Lucky you

I don't recall disputing the effect of military men. Perhaps you can quote the post for a proper rehash grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 23, 2017
fash78:
Folks please be wary of an individual called sova. You can check one of his threads here https://www.nairaland.com/1811572/project-installation-fitted-walldrobe-lagos/5.
This guy was recommended to me by Hajji Muftau but he bleeped up big time. Hajji right now is regretting sticking his neck out for him to get him jobs. I gave him a job to design, fabricate and install all my kitchen cabinets and closets for my build. Most of you here know my project. The scope of work is 4 kitchens and 14 rooms. He billed me for both materials and labour. He promised to deliver the work by November last year. He has collected so far 92.4% of the total sum of the project. Right now he has abandoned the job and not picking calls.

He only finished 1 of the four units. The other three units were left uncompleted. he didnt bring the granite slabs for all the remaining 3 kitchens neither did he finish all the kitchen cabinets and the closets for the remaining units.

Folks do not fall victims to this guy i beg you in the name of God especially those in diaspora.

The guy is not picking my calls neither Hajji Muftau's calls also. I will go to any length to recover my money but I thought I should warn any other person contemplating giving him jobs, don't waste your money o. I have done my part.

Sorry that this is happening but I want to salute you for being a real man by naming the offender. Some don't.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 10:14pm On Jan 23, 2017
mufutau55:

The point is that he gave some excuses in the beginning when the disappearance first happened, and he apologized until I learnt late that he totally disappeared now. Regardless of the excuse he knows how to call me or Fash. Unless he has been kidnapped.. which I doubt.
This guy went as far as Enugu to do a friend's work, while will I doubt him in his home base of Lagos... I tire for Naija and trust o.

Hajji M.
this is crazy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 10:17pm On Jan 23, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I don't recall disputing the effect of military men. Perhaps you can quote the post for a proper rehash grin
Police actually cheesy

Damn you expect me to back search all the way to mid-last yr? cool That's LOTS of work tongue
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:52pm On Jan 23, 2017
twinskenny:
We are installing this for a client... He us wary of fire incident... Remotely monitor too

This look like stand alone smoke detectors
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
back2sender:

No payment of any fee, naa if i like. They are now begging me that anything i have for the boys i should drop. I have 3 omonile living in my Street and every one of dem dey behave demselves now because they now know i have an army kid brother and a police officer as my senior and got to know where i work. Right now when dey pass my house they look the other way
Oh men you want kill me with laugh. Sometimes that approach could be the best option for them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Naijaswagg87(m): 11:07pm On Jan 23, 2017
Please I hope I can get a good brake down.
Am really confuse I want to build a room and parlour self contain. Can I get the estimate nd break down please.
The land is at agbowa in ikorodu.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:12pm On Jan 23, 2017
Empiree:
This requires monthly payment?
yes for the internet service
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:13pm On Jan 23, 2017
Empiree:
What do you mean "wary of fire incident"?

its a fire alarm sir... addressable
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
FastShipping:

Interesting.

How many camera points comes with the package? What does it entail if I want to install CCTV on a 120ft by 120ft property with a 64 by 58ft house on it? I want to be able to view the property from all angles from anywhere. Give me more information and let me ponder about this if I need to go forward.

can i have your email address sir? i can send u some option quote... twinskenny@gmail.com
thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
topsy23:

This look like stand alone smoke detectors
not standalone sir.. its addressable
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
Hajji I fear most of these Naija guys even one blood brother moral don disappears for our believe country. Everybody just want chop anything way come their way ni o. I mean chorp man to bone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abike12(f): 11:21pm On Jan 23, 2017
back2sender:
Thats how one omonile came to my place to disturb in my fencing. Luckily my kid bro in the army from Borno was around. He was putting on the army desert uniform hence the omonile and his thugs said naa man o war. My brother go call some army colleagues in ajah axis (espirit de corp too bam for military guys). Army show in convoys omonile jar enter bush, one was caught and was dealt with and the army guys promised to come back.
Come see begging from the omonile and family. We finish fencing dem no near there. We went to make an entry in the police station down (proactive) incase of any future mistake from them and naa sars we go Use pick them next time from ikeja.
It took some of my time but its worth it, The message don spread like wide fire sey that my place naa no go area.

Lucky you. So far I've spent 700k on omo onile (500k foundation, 100k decking, 100k roofing) and they still had the NERVE to come and eat from the ram we cooked at the site over the holidays. I just dey look them lipsrsealed undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:49pm On Jan 23, 2017
twinskenny:

can i have your email address sir? i can send u some option quote... twinskenny@gmail.com
thanks

PM'd you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 11:50pm On Jan 23, 2017
fash78:

Seeing that those who recommend a Contractor/Artisan ..... (I have only ever recommended Abdulwastecx to QC-1 in his new project and he is yet to disappoint)... to a Client, mean well for both individuals, l have come to also accept that save for a very tiny few, most Contractors are dubious, to varying degrees!
The "horrible reality" of the Nigerian environment is that we are a "greedy lot", generally speaking.
We are people that dont show pity/empathy or any form of consideration for each other.

The "Rich Man" Client does not appreciate the "not so rich/Artisans" while the Artisans see the Client as someone they must "milk to death".
I have engaged an Artisan.... (This is someone that has probably never invested six years of his life in any form of education neither has he suffered himself to serious 'rigour of his trade' via a Trade School) ....who, when l responded that 'his charges are so outrageously high' compared to other Artisans like him, for the same type of job, retorted: "Oga, me too want to be changing Jeep like you, anytime l come to site"!

I was shocked and dont even know how to respond because he must have taught l was born yesterday or that we both have invested the same time and energy in ourselves, to be where we are today!

But the lesson l learnt form that experience is that "The Artisans see you as a passport to quick wealth" [/b]while forgetting that 'menial work' does not generate as much returns (due to the low investment in its set-up) as much as work that involves a lot of time & energy in learning it (such as tradesmen, professionals, e.t.c)
No matter how small the work you give them, [b]they think each job should buy them a car and if the remuneration agreed cant buy then the car, they may as well steal your "building materials" or just swindle you of the money you paid them, without performing the required service!

This kind of talk leads to a 'consequence or behaviour' where Artisans/Contractors abandon a paid job and disappear with the money or just do it half-way or just "disappear with the Client's materials".

No matter how many head-pans a labourer can carry in a day, he cant have returns, as much as say a Doctor, working the same number of hours.
That is one of the reasons that 'people in the know' still value Education.

Without prolonging the story, l will suggest the following (because l am getting really angry at this trend!)
1.) Despite coming "recommended", you (Client) must know in your mind that all of them are the same, just a small difference, and to varying degrees! Apologies to the exceptional, 'tiny fraction' who are upright..... too many bad apples means l dont even go near the bunch!

2.) With the above at the back of your mind, next thing is to decide that YOU (Client) CANNOT trust the Contractor/Artisan 100%.

3.) Thus, you have to put in "check & balances" to "limit the possible damage".......... because there is certainly, likely going to be "damage" form these Contractors.

4.) Negotiate "labour fee" separately ...... Agree and document the agreement on Paper.
When "push-turns-to-shove", such agreement makes prosecuting such criminal Contractor/Artisans very easy and it also can even prevent any disagreement in the first place. (Dont mind that the Artisan claims he is not learned.......l have a portion that says l have "read and explained" the document to him in a language of his choise that he understands and willing append his signature/thumbprint.

Also, l make them sign for every money, being part of the agreed labour-fee, that they collect. I hate arguments because l may get angry.

5.) Ask Contractor/Artisan to list all the materials he would need, for the job

6.) If you have the time (if you are local), Go and buy your materials yourself and then hand it over. Watch its usage and ask questions.
Ofcourse, the 'material list' would have been properly "inflated" so the Artisan can either go back and sell the excess or take the required quantity while going back to collect the money for the excess.

8.) The above (No 6) will likely be the first time you and the Artisan will experience "friction" though he may just chill and act like he is not angry but trust me, you have "spoiled business" for him.

9) Be particularly wary of those Artisans who intentionally "charge below average price" because those one have a strategy to make you pay, through materials 'inflation of quantity' or outright stealing of your material or even duplicating the supplied "original material" for less quality ones which are cheaper.

10.) The scenario above may be different for a Diasporean: You are not around yet you are relying on your "recommended artisan" to be upright with you!
Its never gonna happen. Our environment is not designed to operate on 'full integrity'! That is just the ugly truth.

Just think about it
: if Nigerians can loot and share money meant to prosecute a war, a terrorist war that has snatched away over 200 girls (children that could be my own daughters or your daughters or their daughters) ...what then do you think is beyond "the Nigerian", when it comes to greed?

11.) So, you must operate from a position of distrust, when dealing with Contractors/Artisans in general.... and then let the Contractor/Artisan prove they can be trusted. A very scanty-few Contractors have proven that already. It is after this "proof of trust" that you can then start dealing with such ones based on trust.

12.) So, for a Diasporean, it means you need someone who you can delegate your "responsibility" to, while you are not around.
I said "responsibility" because, it is your "hard-earned money" and you have a duty to protect it.
By just "transferring money" into the recommended Contractor/Artisan's bank account, you are shirking in your own part of the responsibility!
Sad as it is, that is the reality of our times, our country, our people

You need to either employ a "neutral" person (not necessarily an expensive Consultant) with basic knowledge of "product pricing, bargaining and commitment to see things done thoroughly"...... and pay them for just that service (To ensure that your money is spent wisely, used to buy what you requested, in the right quantity and quality)

Let me quickly share something with you: My nature of work means at times, l am not always on ground to monitor my projects. I could be away for two or even three months at a go!
So, l engaged this Plumber who was supposed to do my plumbing work. We agreed on a 'fixed amount' for Labour fees and He gave me a very long list of plumbing material and accessories, all inflated to about 50% - 70% extra in terms of price and quantity required!
He kept asking me to bring money so he can go buy the stuff but l kept stalling until l have the time, then l went to the Depot, got all the things (bought less of everything, got Pipes that are 3.2mm thick (for which he would have bought 1.7mm even at a higher price!) though l am willing to fill-in any shortage, from local supplier but it will be very minimal).
He used them and we even had a few left and in all, l saved around 700K. Same thing happened when l went to buy the Steptile Roofing sheet from the Factory. The inflation on that one would have cost me over a million Naira! I had so much excess.

You just have to create the time or get someone to step-in for you .........or you be ready to be swindled big-time.
It all depends on which is most profitable/valuable to you (Your time, your money, your material

13.) At times, you can just be around, no matter how much you try!
In such case, l will urge you to adopt the "Egungun Strategy" : Do your project "little-by-little", in short bursts, when you could make it down to Nigeria. I am sure he has saved himself a ton of money, ensured his job was properly done, to agreed standard and taste. It requires some sacrifice, ofcourse! YOUR REST TIME.

14.) Another interesting issue l have observed over time in my builds is that Artisans behave funny, when you pay them majority of the agreed fee before the job is started or done half-way.

Here is what happens: Let us assume the labour fee for a masonry/bricklayer job was agreed at #300,000.
The Artisan will promise to bring his "army of workers" to your site and finish the job in no-time (ofcourse we all love that).
He then uses that "promise of many workers", as a leverage to tell you to "advance him half or a large chunk of the Labour fee"! shocked
If you oblige, you do so on the assumption that he would "keep his own part" of the bargain .... but that is not the Nigerian way of doing things!
We are never "gentlemanly" about agreements!
undecided
He will impress you on the first day by bringing a few men but after that you will notice a drastic reduction in number of workers. To compound that, he will start asking for more money! God help you if you dont have an agreed payment schedule.
It so happens that when the project is about 50% complete, he has already collected about 80% of the labour fee.

At this point, he has you in his pockets (or has you by the "balls", if you are the naughty type like me! grin )
He will either ask you to re-negotiate the price (and if you refuse, he will simply abandon your job and run away! It is now left for you to start chasing him around using your valuable time and some of them, you dont know their house or they come from very afar places that it is unprofitable to use resources to chase them around).
he is just no longer "motivated" to complete your work! he is looking for another job that can fetch him "fresh money". undecided

The alternative is to grudgingly agree to increase the "agreed" labour price!

My advice:
1.) Always have a drawn-out agreement with anyone whose labour fee is over #20,000.
a) Specify the Job schedule
b) Specify the agreed labour fee
c) break the work into small chunks or milestones (representing percentage of job completion) and attach a payment schedule to the COMPLETION of each chunk/milestone.
d.) Ensure that you never pay up to (not even above), the "level of work done at any stage" of the project.
Typically, l will pay a minimum of 10% less of the work done at any stage but l stick to 20%.
At completion of all specified job, l pay the balance of 30 or 25% outstanding .... but please, NEVER OWE your Artisans so that God will not be angry with you!
They finish, you pay them their balance the same evening. No Long Story. It is Evil to owe anyone who sweats on your build less you allow calamity to befall you in that build.

I always advice my own artisans to use the bulk money l give them after completion of work (sometimes as much as #150,000 - #200,000 to buy a "Tool of their Trade" which would make their work easier, better and faster. My Bricklayer even bought a small Concrete Mixer and my Welder bought Big, noisy Generator so he does not have to depend on Nepa and therefore not disappoint customers on the basis of power fluctuation)

The flip side to the above is that my Artisans dont "attempt" to run away without completing my jobs because they know they have "more to lose" if they dont complete the job.
I also dont have to worry about chasing any Artisan and will generally call their bluff if they misbehave as l have the leverage.
It makes my life easier as l am always pressed for time (my Holidays) when l am building so, time really counts and l dont want to waste it "dealing" with an errant Artisan (I am sure @FastShipper would have wished he does not have to arrest that his Window Fabricator before things start moving?).

For those Artisans/Contractors (a very tiny few) who have built their reputation on honesty, integrity and quality, I SALUTE YOU.
For those who think they are smart and can play games, we shall also be ready to deal with you (even if we have to pull resources together).
Rome was not built in a day and if you do a honest job and do more jobs, with some level of "funds management", you will eventually get to where you dont even dream of.
Dont forget, Julius Berger is someones name, Robert Pierce of "Pierce Construction" is somebody, just to mention two.
These "business" started from one person and developed a reputation "over time", that has now gone "global".
It did so based on GOOD REPUTATION..... not scamming customers, running -away with their money or leaving uncompleted jobs everywhere.

Clients are not fools, so stop trying to take advantage of their trust or absence.
Honesty is what grows and prosper business..........Those who Cheat others, will ALWAYS lack in life.

Lastpage!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 11:57pm On Jan 23, 2017
Fastshipping: ]
How many camera points comes with the package? What does it entail if I want to install CCTV on a 120ft by 120ft property with a 64 by 58ft house on it? I want to be able to view the property from all angles from anywhere. Give me more information and let me ponder about this if I need to go forward.

twinskenny:

thanks

Why cant you just put the information on here, just as Builders do when people ask them for costings of the build?
Whats the secrecy all about? ....on this type of forum? angry angry

I think we have gone past the stage where people/contractors hide prices.

Even AllCopacetic made a "priced catalogue" and it instead of making him lose market, he got more clients because it shows he is "openly honest" about his dealings with Clients and knows his stuff 101%.
I am yet to find one, single person that has complained about the goods he supplied.
He has supplied me Electrical stuffs in the past, without even knowing it was me. grin grin

Aahbeggi... shocked

Lastpage!

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:00am On Jan 24, 2017
back2sender:

This can only happen in Lagos o, so please people assess your environment first to adopt the appropriate response. In Warri you call police or soldier be rest assured you no go build that house. You call soldier, you will not see a single youth. You continue to build, close site and go home thinking you don win. The boys will come back at night and dynamite your build and disappear again. Then again it is your house and you will live there or rent there..........you no go come collect rent? They will be awaiting for you. My advise is always negotiate and cough up to the right group. Identify the right group, negotiate and pay..........Rest of mind.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 12:24am On Jan 24, 2017
twinskenny:
yes for the internet service
how much is average monthly internet service (remote camera) from oversea?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:39am On Jan 24, 2017
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Oga Hajji, this is not your fault. I don't like it when people make those who help them with recommendations feel bad when biz goes sour. One can not mention your name and not expect you to atleast come out with a disclaimer. But i didn't expect to see you do it with this tone!!!

About 45% of genuine artisans who collect lumpsum contracts are in this mess.
Normally they collect your advance and use it for immediate pressing needs. Later they raise funds from other means to complete the project.
The problem this time is that the economy has so contracted, that it takes them forever to raise the funds, by which time the raw materials cost has doubled due to inflation.
The ones with confidence and people management skills come back to you for contract variation while the others run and hide out of confusion.

The more threats of punishment, the further they run.
Just pretend you don't care about harming them but just want to discuss about extra help you can provide to facilitate the execution coz ur time constrained, and they show up miraculously.

Note this is for the artisans that come recommended due to previous completed projects
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:21am On Jan 24, 2017
44chux:

Oga Hajji, this is not your fault. I don't like it when people make those who help them with recommendations feel bad when biz goes sour. One can not mention your name and not expect you to atleast come out with a disclaimer. But i didn't expect to see you do it with this tone!!!

About 45% of genuine artisans who collect lumpsum contracts are in this mess.
Normally they collect your advance and use it for immediate pressing needs. Later they raise funds from other means to complete the project.
The problem this time is that the economy has so contracted, that it takes them forever to raise the funds, by which time the raw materials cost has doubled due to inflation.
The ones with confidence and people management skills come back to you for contract variation while the others run and hide out of confusion.

The more threats of punishment, the further they run.
Just pretend you don't care about harming them but just want to discuss about extra help you can provide to facilitate the execution coz ur time constrained, and they show up miraculously.

Note this is for the artisans that come recommended due to previous completed projects.

My brother... that is the only way or tone I can respond. Surprisingly to many people here... Me and Fash are actually brothers.
Fash is not blaming me at all, he is just trying to say how I was involved. He knows his loss is my loss.
It could have happen either way, even if it was not me who recommended Sova.
Sova was recommended because of his past work and honesty with other Clients in the past; he has gone to Ondo, Enugu
and several other places with my recommendation... It's just that this project is unfortunate.
You are right with everything analysis above. I speak to Fash very often about this and he never in his tone of voice
demonstrated that the blame is on me. Noone can be blamed but Sova himself for defrauding Fash and shame me.
Even if I was not involved from the beginning, I will still find a way to help. But I have let the dogs out on him.
Afterall, Sova was not the only person I have recommended to Fash without any problem.
Thank you for the contribution.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:27am On Jan 24, 2017
abike12:

Lucky you. So far I've spent 700k on omo onile (500k foundation, 100k decking, 100k roofing) and they still had the NERVE to come and eat from the ram we cooked at the site over the holidays. I just dey look them lipsrsealed undecided
Na waooo, ibi like say U dey print money. I beg where is that your location way you the dish out cash like that? Are you aware there is new law in town? They can not just come to your site like those days. All you need is to agree on a little stipend with them not that kind of amount of money, as if you're buying another land from them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 1:49am On Jan 24, 2017
FastShipping:

I'm tired of these Nigerian artisans. Similar thing just happened to me with another nairalander who promised to deliver my EBM windows since end of November. It has been one lie after another. He gave four different delivery dates. This guy took money from me and did nothing. I surprised him by letting top brass in the police deal with him. He's now doing my window with top speed after knowing what we have in stock for him.

Where is your project located? Let me know if you need police connection and let the police pick him up and deal with him.
Thanks bros. I will PM you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:49am On Jan 24, 2017
kopell:
Hajji I fear most of these Naija guys even one blood brother moral don disappears for our believe country. Everybody just want chop anything way come their way ni o. I mean chorp man to bone

I know my brother... Fact is that I never recommend anyone I have not used personally. Sova just blew it.
When @Rotecch77 was piping my plumbing. he actually told me to pay him when he finishes the job and that
was close to 1m, that is what I call trust because he knows I will never run away with his money, but I paid him
some money upfront because I know he will need to buy materials and gave him the balance when the job was
completed.
@Aventures used some of his money when I was doing my decking, not that I don't have the money but because
he trusted me and was well paid in the end.
I never start a stage on my build without having enough to do the job.
There are still good people around... we just need to find them. And Yes, even in Nigeria.

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) ... (3695) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: rukyboy(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.