Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,298 members, 7,867,781 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 12:40 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (611) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4516163 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (3699) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 2:07am On Feb 15, 2017
mufutau55:

Yes. Smooth wall and all the cracks sealed. I did cement screeding and I can surely see the difference.

Hajji M.
please tell me what can be done here if you know. On my second floor front yard (terrace), I placed tiles there but the people living there use it to gym. So they always place there gym on tiles and it gets cracked. In the process water lodges through cracks and leaks downstairs directly in the room below it when it rains.

I'm suggesting using this rubber tiles to cover the ceramic tiles but do I need some sort of glue to glue it down on the tiles and would it stick or just place them ?

I do have gallon of very dark sealant used for shingles but I don't know if this may stick on the rubber?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:19am On Feb 15, 2017
Empiree:
please tell me what can be done here if you know. On my second floor front yard (terrace), I placed tiles there but the people living there use it to gym. So they always place there gym on tiles and it gets cracked. In the process water lodges through cracks and leaks downstairs directly in the room below it when it rains.

I'm suggesting using this rubber tiles to cover the ceramic tiles but do I need some sort of glue to glue it down on the tiles and would it stick or just place them ?

I do have gallon of very dark sealant used for shingles but I don't know if this may stick on the rubber?

I know the rubber tiles can stick to the bare concrete floor with glue adhesive but I am not sure about putting it on tiles.
That synthetic rubber may work if you lay it on top of the tiles... but with heavy gym equipment it may still break, you can try it though.
I am not sure what you can do in this case o. May be some other professional will chime in here.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 4:29am On Feb 15, 2017
back2sender:
Please has anyone bought spanish tiles of recent within last half of last year and this year so far? The tiles of which a carton contains 3pieces.
I need to know the amount at which it was bought back then, its for a projection am working on.
Thanks all in advance for your responses

I bought a lot of Spanish tiles Late last year and early this year. Price ranges from N4000 to N4500 for floor tiles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:47am On Feb 15, 2017
(hardwood for sale 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 3x4, 1x12) lifelightproperties@gmail.com, 08182481552, 08088574969, Whatsapp: 08182481552 Website: http://www.lifelightproperties.com. info@lifelightproperties.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:51am On Feb 15, 2017
HsLBroker:
(hardwood for sale 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x6, 3x4, 1x12) lifelightproperties@gmail.com, 08182481552, 08088574969, Whatsapp: 08182481552 Website: http://www.lifelightproperties.com. info@lifelightproperties.com
with all due respect to the house

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 15, 2017
mufutau55:

Clean up? Like what or how. I like to emulate whatever is good o... I might overlooked some of it. Thx.

Hajji M.

Just general yard and interior trash clean ups. You know how some of our local artisans are basically pigs. They eat banana and drop the peels right where they stand, pure water sachets.

I also clean up broken blocks, off cut wood, etc. I just can't stand a crap job site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 7:10am On Feb 15, 2017
spyder880:

I bought a lot of Spanish tiles Late last year and early this year. Price ranges from N4000 to N4500 for floor tiles.
Thanks Prof

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 7:17am On Feb 15, 2017
kopell:
Yes I did specifically last year October, there are to many tricks in tiles market. the tiles are sold by sizes. they will always try to sale to you with number of boxes or calculate more then you needed. Most of time the numbers of pies in the boxes are not accurate. make sure you calculate your total area multiply it with the size of your choice, always add 10% of your total required for brokerage. the prices depend on quality of what you want, the ones I bought were : 40 by 40cm, 8 pieces per box then is 3k. another one :40 by 40cm,12 pieces per box is 3800 the sizes per box I believe should be 12 pieces per box for 40by40, the others are 25by50 by 10mm thickness 15pieces. Pls pay attention to the thickness don't make them sale you 5mm thickness as the same price as 10mm and above. All above are of 10mm thickness, do your research about calculations all the information you need is in this forum. Sorry I don't care where it came from, I was told most of the tiles are made in Najia and repack as imported.
Thanks man i appreciate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 7:49am On Feb 15, 2017
My people in the house i saw this tiles this morning in the office. This is actually my first time si pardon me as i no be builder.
A carton contains 12 pieces i was asked if am interested and i said no because looking at it already shows its expensive, am looking for kobo kobo tiles like my Oga at the top Hajji agba Use to say.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zagadat1: 8:37am On Feb 15, 2017
Has anyone heard Prices of cement to increase by 250naira as from 20th of dis month... if you're having a building project it's beta u buy as many as possible before then.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:12am On Feb 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Just general yard and interior trash clean ups. You know how some of our local artisans are basically pigs. They eat banana and drop the peels right where they stand, pure water sachets.

I also clean up broken blocks, off cut wood, etc. I just can't stand a crap job site.

thats what i dont do.. i cant u work somewhere and messed up the place without cleaning> ? instructions to my boys is that we must clean up 100% no strand of cable should be seen anywhere....

someone artisian usually claim its client responsibility but no

we once work on a site where the pop and tiler messed up the whole place. i had to pay to get it cleaned up before we start our job.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:12am On Feb 15, 2017
zagadat1:
Has anyone heard Prices of cement to increase by 250naira as from 20th of dis month... if you're having a building project it's beta u buy as many as possible before then.

thank you i just paid 2400 yesterday so we are looking at 2750?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:13am On Feb 15, 2017
back2sender:
My people in the house i saw this tiles this morning in the office. This is actually my first time si pardon me as i no be builder.
A carton contains 12 pieces i was asked if am interested and i said no because looking at it already shows its expensive, am looking for kobo kobo tiles like my Oga at the top Hajji agba Use to say.

sorry not sure though,, but this look like swimming pool tiles>? i might be wrong
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marilo(m): 9:45am On Feb 15, 2017
Hello All,

I feel I should share the following questions with some of the experienced people on here. These are questions for the discerning minds,

1. Why do some "professionals" insist that they must as a matter of compulsion be the one to purchase all the materials needed on site during construction. They only leave you with the choice of purchasing materials needed for "finishing"?

2. I have seen a number of builds here and NONE (I am yet to see one) that take into cognisance mobility for people with disabilities? We seem to have a number of staircases into our builds. Do we think about old age, for instance when mobility might be impeded?

3. Really and truly who should do the building construction...The Architect,the civil engineer, structural engineer or the "gbogbo lowo" engineer (By this,I mean the jack-of-all-trade engineer that we hear about on site)?

4.Why is it "difficult" to have condomoiums in places that are highly populated like lagos,abuja,Kano and Portharcourt just like we have in developed countries rather than have sprawling apartments all over?

5.why can't we have something as beautiful,elegant but simple as the below

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:59am On Feb 15, 2017
I surely would be very pissed if someone was dropping dumbbells on tiles, you need thick rubber mat as pictured like 1 inch and above thickness.
This is what is in use at most gyms.

Empiree:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 11:06am On Feb 15, 2017
I agree with you on this point. Just that occasionally you have the lousy professional who should know better but lack the commonsense to know when a conduct is unbecoming or they hope no one will be made aware of it.

lastpage:

Generally, "self-employed tenants" are bigger headaches, regardless of their tribal affiliations though, statistically, some have proved to be a bigger headache to Landlords.

Aside the unpredictability of income/profit, the simple reason self-employed tenants tend to pose greater headaches is because they have TOO MUCH TIME to Play with!
They can afford to stab work anyday.... and sue it to make trouble with their Landlord! Something someone employed corporately will think twice about, before doing!
Most think because they are in-charge of managing their time/work schedule, that "freedom" is best used to stress their landlord/lady.

An employee (at whatever level within the corporate ladder) has a "Social fabric" they are tied and woven into (colleagues, Company Name, e.t.c) ....that makes them think twice before engaging on a 'show of shame' with their House owner, something the self-employed does not have to worry about.

Maybe l am biased, but its just my opinion.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:51am On Feb 15, 2017
back2sender:

Nah true o, my brother. So what price is being quoted to you for the tiles. Just to know.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by imd: 12:07pm On Feb 15, 2017
lastpage:

Thank you for emphasising this Sir. I strongly concur.

Sir, Permit me to respond to the bolded by asking: IN WHOSE HANDS IS IT RIGHT NOW, if we agree with your assertion that it is no longer in the Government/Buhari's hands?
My position on the same question is that "It is in the hands of we Nigerians.
We can ease our buirden on ourselves or we can continue to do "all man for himself" and choke ourselves to death
undecided undecided

Sir, l am happy that you have narrowed it down to SCARCITY OF DOLLARS, (especially with regards to products whose origin is foreign and has to be imported)
The above represents a detailed ANALYSIS of THE PROBLEM.... but what about CAUSE of the problem.... and what about the SOLUTION to the problem?

To avoid repetition, l will "summarise" what l proposed was THE CAUSE of the Problem, in my earlier post.

1.) Nigeria is a Mono-Economy: An economy which is heavily dependent on ONE SOURCE of foreign exchange (Dollar) receipt, which is Crude Oil.
2.) The above means that we have neglected other 'possible source' of forex/Dollars, over the years
3.) We are a heavily IMPORT DEPENDENT ECONOMY: This means that even if we are able to earn enough forex (by some magic), we are quickly depleting it as we buy/import almost everything from abroad
4.) The Only Product that we sell in order to receive forex (Dollars that are scarce) being crude Oil, has lost 80% of its value when the Govt took power. The implication is that Nigeria has lost 80% of whatever Dollars it used to have.
THIS IS THE FUNDAMENTAL SOURCE OF THE SCARCITY YOU ALLUDE TO.
Thus we cannot blame the Govt of Nigeria (led by Buhari) for this drop in price of Crude Oil because it is an "international phenomena" affecting many other Oil producing countries. The only difference is that countries like Quatar, Saudi Arabia, who are also in the same position as we are, have "WISELY" INVESTED their previous incomes (Forex/Dollars) in areas like Housing, Refineries, Roads, Health, Agriculture...... while our Own previous Governments LOOTED AND STOLE OUR OWN DOLLARS!
The Govts in question was not led by Buhari but by the likes of OBJ but specifically cancerous under Goodluck Jonathan!

5.) In addition to the above, despite the deep slump in Crude oil price (and our receipts), the little we export also got seriously cut due to the sabotaging efforts of fellow Nigerians from the Creeks who (rightly or wrongly, l wont go into that argument here) bombed and destroy Nigeria's oil flow stations... under Buhari's Govt. Thus, a Dollar revenue that has been down for about 80% due to global Oil price crash, also went further down because we could not meet up with our allocated export Quota! So, we the Govt was working under a sort of 15-18% Dollar/Forex receipts, for the first one year and few Months of its being in power.

This is the REASON for the Scarce Dollars you mention, that caused the price to rise as demand remains unabated, leading to the Manufacturer buying Dollar at a high price, passing it down to the distributor and trickle down to the final seller and then the "end-user of the product.

- How is the above scenario, caused by this Govt of Buhari?
- Did he crash the price of Crude Oil?
- Did he squander the forex we accumulated/reciept when the value of Oil price was high (he was not even the President then)
- Was he responsible for not investing wisely (like other countries did), the huge receipts of Dollars we had in the "good days"?
- Is he responsible for our penchant for imported products, even for goods that can be produced locally"
- Was he the one bombing and destroying oil flow stations all over the place?

The answer to these 'posers' is why l say we Nigerians are not honest with ourselves.

The second part of this discussion has to do with "goods"t that have very "low dollar input"......... yet the price keeps galloping at the same rate as the rise in Dollar exchange rate.
While it is easy to say everyone is responding to the "market forces" as Exchange rate rise forces price-rise in dollar-dependent products, the reality is that most "sellers" are just into "profit-taking", which is an act of selfishness and Greed.

For example, look at the increasing rate of House rent:
Some houses were built in the 1970's, with very low maintenance as it was built on solid ground, yet the owners have kept increasing the rent on such house at the rate of '"prevailing rising prices", citing the Dollar rate!
Question is: What is the "direct relationship" between the exchange rate and the Rent of such house.... that it should go along hand-in-hand, if not sheer exploitation of one another?.
If Dollar rate was rising at 20% monthly, why should the Rent of such house be at par with it? Why not a 10% increase say over two years?

[b]Well, most people that say the above have not provided any "alternative solution that is workable and viable" to justify their position infact, most only 'identify' the problem (which is very easy to do), fail to give an in-depth analysis of the CAUSE of the problem and hence, are unable to proffer any workable solution.
*I personally think the Govt can do more than it has done, for example, l dont like Govt banning items that people need but we are unable to produce in large enough quantity because it puts pressure on supply and as a result, price rise astronomically.
*I dont like a situation where Govt thinks throwing more money at a problem (like in the Electricity and Petroleum supply Sectors where the "Cabals" are always asking for tariff increase, since l was a small boy, claiming if given such increase, supply will stabilise!) will solve the problem.

*I think Govt should be "more aggressive" in dealing with saboteurs in those sectors.

*I think Govt should be more decisive in dealing with those who "fake/adulterate" products, those who fail to deliver on paid projects like infrastructures, reduce the fat allowance of the National Assembly members or make it a part-time job such that only a "honorarium" is paid each time there is a "House Sitting" and this should not be more than thrice in a month. That way, only serious and intelligent people will want to be "House members"..... as against now that every crook will murder their mother, just to become a Senator! [/b]

Having said that, l will score the Govt a pass mark on Agriculture, Security, diversification, nti-corruption, e.t.c though l am also aware that some of these issues take longer than one or two years to really bring out their full benefit.
Thus, l completely disagree that the Govt does not have the capacity to solve the problem or not solving it ..... l just think that we Nigerians are a very difficult lot to govern, as some of us are outright saboteurs, some are profit-takers irrespective of whether the country's moral fibre is ruined or not and problems created over a long time, dont take a year to solve!

There is no Silver-bullet to Nigeria's problem except if we INCREASE EXPORT so as to EARN more Forex ,via Agriculture, Manufacturing, Mining, while REDUCING IMPORT through local production so as to spend less of our forex reserve and shore-up the value of our own currency (Naira) but the above can only happen under two conditions
1.) Stable Power supply (2) Functioning Iron and Steel industry to power the industrial revolution that Nigeria needs.
These two things take an average of five years detailed and continuous planning, investment and development,, to show the first signs/result that one can point to.

This is where we are, this is who we are!

Lastpage!

The Best investment of all times is FOREX, you can either trade or invest with calculated risk.

Some brokers like http://www.rally.trade/?utm_source=introducingbroker-348636 have made it easier for us to cash on this great opportunity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 12:18pm On Feb 15, 2017
zagadat1:

These tiles are used mainly in the bathroom /toilet, some people with swimming pool also use them.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 12:39pm On Feb 15, 2017
mavverick:
I surely would be very pissed if someone was dropping dumbbells on tiles, you need thick rubber mat as pictured like 1 inch and above thickness.
This is what is in use at most gyms.

thanks man. You think I can just place it on the tiles just like that or use glue used for shingles?.

Thanks again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zagadat1: 1:20pm On Feb 15, 2017
twinskenny:

thank you i just paid 2400 yesterday so we are looking at 2750?

it's even still 2300 in some places close to me but from 20th it's gonna be above 2700... Prices are just skyrocketing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zagadat1: 1:24pm On Feb 15, 2017
Guys please is 3500naira per sqmetre okay for workmanship and materials for pop work?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:28pm On Feb 15, 2017
I will check a gym and see how they have done it, just give me some time. I would not want to put glue on it though, just thinking what if you decide in future not to use it as a gym, then you have that glue marks all over the tiles. those rubber mats are usually heavy piles, and should have some kind of surface that will not easily slip. If you also measure out the room, and cut it to fit, there is no where for it to slip/move to, that way if there is a change of use, just "KA NLE", roll it off the ground and back to your tiles.

Empiree:
thanks man. You think I can just place it on the tiles just like that or use glue used for shingles?.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 1:56pm On Feb 15, 2017
Truthinlife:

Na wao,
This keeps getting scarier and discouraging each day. If they increase the price so will others follow. I am even wondering how much Metcopo roofing sheets step tile might be costing now.

Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing

Check Out Picture Of The Wood Work For The Stone Coated Roofing Tile >> https://www.nairaland.com/1806964/check-out-picture-wood-work
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 2:52pm On Feb 15, 2017
Better tried than never. I sent email to the store where I bought bathroom accessories. This is what they said v v v

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:34pm On Feb 15, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Got it now. When they send me pics and I see all those dirty leftovers and I tell them to clean it... they always think I am crazy.
"Everything will be cleans when the whole construction is finished" is what they always tell me and I always say NO.
I also always like a clean environment even during construction. Good work Egun Man.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:59pm On Feb 15, 2017
That is mosaic tiles mainly for swimming pole price range 3000-5000
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by emmadejust(m): 4:48pm On Feb 15, 2017
back2sender:

It can also be used for your round pillars design

Check the pillar where the sun breaker is lapped

Consider
Staircase lift chair for the old and the disable person at home

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 4:51pm On Feb 15, 2017
Price of Cement hit N2700/bag Iron rod hit N290,000/ton
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2017
spyder880:

Are they planning to increase the price of cement again?
As it is said... A bag 2,700 or more from today.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 5:44pm On Feb 15, 2017
imd:

The Best investment of all times is FOREX, you can either trade or invest with calculated risk.

Some brokers like http://www.rally.trade/?utm_source=introducingbroker-348636 have made it easier for us to cash on this great opportunity.

Nice write-up and rich analysis of the state of the nation,profit taking in any venture embarked upon by any Nigerian whether individual of private establishment has really affected micro economic balance over the past two years as can be seen from fuel marketers,FMCG goods sellers .
The whole thing boils down to GREED!!!,if we can be sincere to ourselves and look inward things will improve within a space of 3 years with government sincerity in the implementation and execution vibrant economic policies ,we as individuals should reduce our crave for foreign goods consumption by at least 60% and see the improvement in our forex ,what most manufactures do is just to request for forex for importation of raw materials and sell them in. The parallel market .
We really need to change our orientation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by katcy4christ: 5:55pm On Feb 15, 2017
mufutau55:

Yes. Smooth wall and all the cracks sealed. I did cement screeding and I can surely see the difference.

Hajji M.

can I get your contract please

(1) (2) (3) ... (608) (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) ... (3699) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: CircleOfWilis and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.