Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,751 members, 7,851,579 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:20 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (682) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4480575 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) (684) (685) ... (3689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:57am On May 10, 2017
mufutau55:

No. It was not me you quoted, may be somebody else who said that. I don't know much about water o....
Please check the original message again.
Just like Shaggy said, "It wasn't me o".

Hajji M.

Hajji grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 9:05am On May 10, 2017
@Mufutau55, @Spyder880, @EgunMogaji, @rotecch77, @Gbadexy.etc. Please help with this dilemma. My project has been plastered inside and outside, and the internal & external doors, casement windows, burglary proof, floor tiles, & plumbing have all been installed. For the next stage of work, which one should I do first, Surface wiring or Painting? I'm confused because I have some people who say painting should be done first, then surface wiring, and I have people who have advised me otherwise. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 9:08am On May 10, 2017
igwedehxy:
Hello gurus, please I need you guys to advice me on what to do. I am about to fix burglary for the windows and doors for the main entrance of my ongoing building project, so that it will be secure. But my builder is saying that I have to fix the window frame, and he will dress the window before fixing the burglary. Now my problem with this are

1. I don't have enough cash on me to add window frame to the burglary and main entrance doors.

2. even if I have the money, can't the person that want to fix the window frame dress the window, because if I involve my builder in dressing the window, then I will have to pay him for just that work and then pay him again when he is doing the plastering.

pls let your suggestions start rolling in

Oga I remember that your thread where you said

"I'm not an Engineer, I am something more"

You use style yab Engineers but this family will help regardless..

Dressing of windows after fixing burglary is tedious and won't be neat. your bricklayer is right.
Especially if your burglary is what they call (daabo) instead of "in-to-in".

If you have not done wiring yet, I think you should just wait to install your window frames.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by heartlove(m): 9:20am On May 10, 2017
pls our good engineer , it is advice to dig soak-away first to used the sand for fill, and also i want to know the good meter for 3bedroom flat
how meaning block i need 9'' or 6''
1. which meter is good for 3bedroom flat soakaway
2. which block is good for it 6'' or 9''
3. how much it will cost me to dig it AREA OF IMOTA IKORODU LAGOS STATE
thanks God blessed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:54am On May 10, 2017
@worldambassador.
the next stage as you explained the project is surface wiring, painting is the last thing then general cleaning and fumigation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 10:28am On May 10, 2017
kopell:
50-150k to test water quality? Why should its be individual or commercial entities business in the first place, it's should be government business to make sure sefe water get to the citizenry for consumption. All the water that go through pipes in my location is tested every 5 minutes, I repeat every 5 minute 24/7 throughout the years.
Well if govt provides you with portable water, then they should have tested it as required (even though we see historical cases of negligence in Flint Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and Texas. There is even a movie Erin Brockovich).

In Nigeria since you are your own water corporation, then its ur duty. Besides its cheaper to treat early than to deal with chronic symptoms of poisoning.

For companies they need proof (as regards occupational health & safety) that they provided approved safe water and wouldn't be liable (as regards insurance & workmen compensation) for any health related issue during and after your working career.

Benzene is carcinogenicand has also been linked to bone marrow failure, aplastic anemia, acute leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, acute lymphoblastic leukemia and chronic myeloid leukemia.

Too much Nitrate has a major impact on infants less than 6 months old and leads to a condition called methemoglobinemia (blue-baby syndrome) and could be fateful.

heavy metals such as Pb, Cd, Cu, Mo, Ni, and Cr. cause various problems like anemia, digestive disturbances and liver and kidney damage. Renal failure is related to contaminated drinking water with lead and cadmium, liver cirrhosis to copper and molybdenum, hair loss to nickel and chromium, and chronic anemia to copper and cadmium.

Bacteria found in tap water include cryptosporidium, legionella pneumophila, rotifers, copepods and Escherichia coli, more commonly know as E. coli

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 10:47am On May 10, 2017
Empiree:
you see when i told my cousin about descriptions of doors i want, I only suggested quality iron doors and gate for all main entrances. I said but all inside doors should be wood. He was like "hell no. everything iron all through" grin grin grin

have to believe him unfortunately cus he lives there. He knows how nija looks like. Honestly i hate burglary stuff but seems we got no choice even if we fence the house. SAD

There are very beautiful Israeli (Security)doors in the market.
There are even Turkish armoured doors that look very simple and elegant.

The problem arrises when using locally fabricated doors
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shofil2011: 11:02am On May 10, 2017
Good morning house, please i will appreciate if i can get any help regarding my question.
Please how many 9' block can a bricklayer lay in a day when superstructure/ walling is being done?. I have conflicting response from the 2 bricklayer i contacted and need the house input. one said 70 in a day another said 80pcs of 9' block in a day. Kindly help please.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 11:12am On May 10, 2017
kopell:
@ hajji I disagree with your opinion in that regard, how many people can afford to test water quality @50-150k even if it's was once a year. Every government form 1976 till date as failed us as people. I hope things turns around for better Soon

Where there is a will, there is always a way.
E.g. since access to school labs are relatively easy, a student can always run the test for you next to free. In my school days other students come to our school Lab to run their final year projects citing that their school lacked certain equipment. They just buy their consumables.

In the end, its cheaper to change ur car Engine oil when recommended than overlook and risk having to replace the whole engine.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 11:28am On May 10, 2017
shofil2011:
Good morning house, please i will appreciate if i can get any help regarding my question.
Please how many 9' block can a bricklayer lay in a day when superstructure/ walling is being done?. I have conflicting response from the 2 bricklayer i contacted and need the house input. one said 70 in a day another said 80pcs of 9' block in a day. Kindly help please.

Is it for duration planning or costing sake and what is the quality required. Left unsupervised, a bricklayer can do 150-200 bricks/day (at the cost of quality). They also count fragmented bricks as whole numbers. At same quality, different bricklayers should have different work-rate which is acceptable. They are also sometimes limited by the number of coaches done on a section/day to prevent buckling under its own weight.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lorhema(f): 11:41am On May 10, 2017
44chux:

How would you know if the water had issues that would take a long time to manifest symptoms.

Water quality should be tested annually for individuals and quarterly for organisations. They test for minimum of the following:

Total coliform bacteria
Nitrate/Nitrites
pH

Thank you for the information.

Thank you for the education.
Total dissolved solids (TDS).
Fluoride
Organic Carbon Contaminants (Pesticides, Industrial Pollution etc.)

In south-south it used to cost about 50k-150k and can be done by many laboratories including medical labs, petroleum analysis labs etc. Normally it preceeds borehole treatment but most folks just treat without testing.

On your own you can actually readup on likely/general profile of the water in your area online or the nearby university library as there are a lot of project topics by geology students at bsc and msc levels about borehole quality and groundwater contamination

DIY kits do exist for self testing but require basic knowledge.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 1:05pm On May 10, 2017
@worldambassador.
the next stage as you explained the project is surface wiring, painting is the last thing then general cleaning and fumigation.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 1:13pm On May 10, 2017
WorldAmbassador:
@Mufutau55, @Spyder880, @EgunMogaji, @rotecch77, @Gbadexy.etc. Please help with this dilemma. My project has been plastered inside and outside, and the internal & external doors, casement windows, burglary proof, floor tiles, & plumbing have all been installed. For the next stage of work, which one should I do first, Surface wiring or Painting? I'm confused because I have some people who say painting should be done first, then surface wiring, and I have people who have advised me otherwise. Thanks.
painting should be the last work.
It would cover up all traces of work and give it pristine look.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 1:26pm On May 10, 2017
gbadexy:

painting should be the last work.
It would cover up all traces of work and give it pristine look.
While painting I think the socket outlets and switches should be removed and putback later on to prevent paint stains

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 1:37pm On May 10, 2017
WorldAmbassador:
. What kind of structure did you put up that you intend doing surface wiring? Any way if that's what you intend doing, it all depends on the kind of paint you intend using. If your option of paint usage is the type that you "PRIME" then you do that and do your surface wiring before you do final coating.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:45pm On May 10, 2017
WorldAmbassador:
@worldambassador.

Thanks

Why surface wiring though?

And by the way if u do surface wiring and install socket and didn't get a good painter they will mess up the switches and socket with paint....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 3:32pm On May 10, 2017
44chux:

While painting I think the socket outlets and switches should be removed and putback later on to prevent paint stains
The painter could use masking tape to cover up the sockets and switches while painting.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shofil2011: 3:41pm On May 10, 2017
=Thank you for your input.The project is for a superstructure of a 3 bedroom all ensuite and a 2 bedroom 2 bath, The whole project is a 5 bedroom duplex with 2 unit of 2 bedroom flat on same plot. We just finished foundation and german flooring and started walling this week till i asked them to hold on because of the quote for this phase: the bricklayer charged 295,000 and he supervisor said he made him reduce it to 270,000. The supervisor of the project said 3400 9' block will be used for this phase and said the bricklayer will lay 70 block a day( this is when i started having misgivings). stating 4500/day (3,000/bricklayer and 1 laborer to a bricklayer:1500/laborer). 3400blocks /70 blocks per day =28 days x4500/day.= 216,000 and 54,000 for filling of 36 columns...makes 270,000 in all. Please help me. I am thinking of getting another person entirely to do this work now.
44chux:

Is it for duration planning or costing sake and what is the quality required. Left unsupervised, a bricklayer can do 150-200 bricks/day (at the cost of quality). They also count fragmented bricks as whole numbers. At same quality, different bricklayers should have different work-rate which is acceptable. They are also sometimes limited by the number of coaches done on a section/day to prevent buckling under its own weight.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 10:45pm On May 10, 2017
Good evening house. I got a quote of N900k for labour just to plaster the interior of my building at Sango Ota ( 4 x 3 bedroom flats). Is this reasonable or excessive? Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by barakah(m): 11:08pm On May 10, 2017
Hello house,

Please i have a challenge with my security lights.
They are 4 units of AKT 100Watt double cell LED lights.

1) When the power holding company (PHCN) decides not to hold their light which is rarely, the light come up randomly (As a result of drop in voltage).

2) Being security lights, i expect them to be up at all times.

Please what's the close alternative to this brand of light apart from Halogen?

What do you suggest can be done to solve the unsteady voltage challenge being experienced here?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 11:47pm On May 10, 2017
What did I miss O ?

Where is lastpage?
Excuzeme
Brabus (which moniker is he using now) Next2your$?
Azuh
Crayola master
Fastshipping

Lets spice this thread up a little. grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:53pm On May 10, 2017
3strikes:
What did I miss O ?

Where is lastpage?
Excuzeme
Brabus (which moniker is he using now) Next2your$?
Azuh
Crayola master

Lets spice this thread up a little. grin

Please. We got past that already... now we are talking about building constructions. Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 11:59pm On May 10, 2017
mufutau55:

Please. We got past that already... now we are talking about building constructions. Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.

Hajj Am just asking after them....I have not heard from them for sometime and as a good Nigerian, I thought it will be nice i check on them. Dont you think that should count for something? undecided

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:03am On May 11, 2017
3strikes:

Hajj Am just asking after them....I have not heard from them for sometime and as a good Nigerian, I thought it will be nice i check on them. Dont you think that should count for something? undecided

True o. But I think they are on vacation in Dubai.
You are a caring man o. grin

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:12am On May 11, 2017
So they went to Dubai without me?

Anyways no be by force to kuku go Dubai......in Davido's voice

mufutau55:

True o. But I think they are on vacation in Dubai.
You are a caring man o. grin

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:47am On May 11, 2017
3strikes:
So they went to Dubai without me?
Anyways no be by force to kuku go Dubai......in Davido's voice

You are too funny.... Anyway welcome back.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 5:58am On May 11, 2017
barakah:

Hello house,

Please i have a challenge with my security lights.
They are 4 units of AKT 100Watt double cell LED lights.

1) When the power holding company (PHCN) decides not to hold their light which is rarely, the light come up randomly (As a result of drop in voltage).

2) Being security lights, i expect them to be up at all times.

Please what's the close alternative to this brand of light apart from Halogen?

What do you suggest can be done to solve the unsteady voltage challenge being experienced here?

get a smart electrician, locate the light point, and connect it to a stabilizer............or if you have the cash, why not buy a central 10kva/15kva/20kva central stabilizer...and enjoy full voltage all the time?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 6:55am On May 11, 2017
q
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 6:55am On May 11, 2017

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:39am On May 11, 2017
WorldAmbassador:

Thanks

Do your surface CABLING before painting but tell your electrician to make sure that all the switches and socket boxes be buried in wall to make the installation neat. All the cables must be straight from junction boxes and use original PVC clip. After your painting he can come back to fix all the switches and sockets.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 8:26am On May 11, 2017
rabcnesbit:
Good evening house. I got a quote of N900k for labour just to plaster the interior of my building at Sango Ota ( 4 x 3 bedroom flats). Is this reasonable or excessive? Thank you

Anybody able to advise on the above, please?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 10:24am On May 11, 2017
gbadexy:

The painter could use masking tape to cover up the sockets and switches while painting.
Normally the painter should cover but nigerians usually disappoint even in the simplest things.

So except you will have somebody on ground to enforce this, I would prefer to use the first rule of safety which is to completely eliminate the possibility (where practicable).

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (679) (680) (681) (682) (683) (684) (685) ... (3689) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Zzyzxt(m), RockOfAgesAlumi(m), webfocus(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.