Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,947 members, 7,863,354 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:06 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (720) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506895 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:00pm On Jul 08, 2017

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:05pm On Jul 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Whenever I land in Lagos I get an itch to flee the city as soon as possible. I personally don't see the attraction.

Oh well.

Lagos is beautiful no doubt especially during the dry season.
I have peace of mind in ibadan.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 08, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Lagos is beautiful no doubt especially during the dry season.
I have peace of mind in ibadan.

Except now my stupid MaiGuard claims he was robbed of his N3,500 phone at gunpoint at Elebu Oja last night. I will never believe that in a million years. Not a stone throw away from Fele's house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Except now my stupid MaiGuard claims he was robbed of his N3,500 phone at gunpoint at Elebu Oja last night. I will never believe that in a million years. Not a stone throw away from Fele's house.

security in nigeria is an illusion.

any place in this country can suddenly become a den of crime

all you need is a few opportunistic miscreants

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 08, 2017
Please allow me to publicly thank RichYoungRuler https://www.nairaland.com/richyoungruler and Skimanki https://www.nairaland.com/skimanski for assistances that they rendered me on my project lately.

RichYoungRuler sent his Carpenter to Ibadan sometimes last year for me and Skimanski offered me detailed pictures of one of his products so I can copy the design (he could have simply ignored me or tell me that "I can sell it to you Oga"wink - imagine that grin

Thanks Guys.

http://kuluso.com/ads/dezyns-structures/

http://kuluso.com/ads/rich-ruler-limited/

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 08, 2017
oyb:

The thing tire me sef sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2017
diordaves:
End Product

Now will this actually be cheaper in Nigeria? The project was in Namibia. Can a moderate bungalow be delivered adopting this ecobag system for under two million in Nigeria?

I don't this system will be cheaper in Nigeria because do the following reasons.
1. The bags will be a bit expensive and you also need to filled the bags with either laterite or sharp sand that you will still need to buy. In the long run it will cost more per square meters compare to our conventional 6" or 9" blocks.

2. The frames are made from pre fabricated truss which also cost lots of money but when this is produced in commercial quantities, the cost will be reduced considerably.

3. This system required lots of skillful laborers and such labor cost will increase compared to our conventional building type.

4. The foundation employed hereay not work for sloppy, water logged terrain or soil generally with poorer bearing capacity. It also reduces foundation flexibility because you have a limitation to how well you can twist the building.

In summary, this system will be more expensive than alternative method of construction we have presently and

Construction is heavier

Foundation type not suitable for all soil conditions.

Such building lacks flexibility.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:33pm On Jul 08, 2017
diordaves:
Walling

What is in those sacs? Sand, which kind? What is the cost of each bag?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Please allow me to publicly thank RichYoungRuler https://www.nairaland.com/richyoungruler and Skimanki https://www.nairaland.com/skimanski for assistances that they rendered me on my project lately.

RichYoungRuler sent his Carpenter to Ibadan sometimes last year for me and Skimanski offered me detailed pictures of one of his products so I can copy the design (he could have simply ignored me or tell me that "I can sell it to you Oga"wink - imagine that grin

Thanks Guys.

http://kuluso.com/ads/dezyns-structures/

http://kuluso.com/ads/rich-ruler-limited/

Very good sharing.... but where is the "copy-cat" work? We may also want to develop the same...
The roof and the ceiling POP design?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 08, 2017
mufutau55:

Very good sharing.... but where is the "copy-cat" work? We may develop the same...
The roof and the ceiling POP design?

Hajji M.

Pic #1: Skimanski
Pic #2: EgunMogaji

To the ninnies who call me a Mr. KnowItAll in frustration, una see una life outside? I only copy and learn from the best grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 08, 2017
oyb:

In the whole world, security is an illusion, all we can do is reduce the odds by any which way we can.

They got to the Pope, Regan, etc

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:40pm On Jul 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:

To the ninnies who call me a Mr. KnowItAll in frustration, una see una life outside? I only copy and learn from the best grin

Very good... we discussed about this earlier. Forget about the "Ninnies", they just don't have open mind ni.
I like to copy too o, and then modify. When something is good, then it's good.
Good work. I like very much... something different... Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Innu: 8:42pm On Jul 08, 2017
Good day experts and students in the house. Kindly assist as I have a challenge needing solutions.

1. There are usually water-soaked patches on the wall just below the Windows (casement) after every downpour. These are usually found on both sides of the wall (below the window) and remains for a very long time before drying out after days of intense sunshine.
What could be the cause and what are the possible solutions? These started after the windows' fixing and wall plastering. The fear of mould growth, wall weakening, paint peeling etc...

2. What is the best way to resolve leaking roof sheets (metcoppo) - after roofing? Does the same principle apply for leaks along the gutters and the leaks on other sides?

3. When the roof-sheet 'ears' on the parapet is so shortly extended that the rain run-offs runs on the parapet wall, creating water soaked patch.
what could be the solution?

@
Mufutau
Spider 880
Hajj
Skimanski
Etc over to you sirs.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 08, 2017
mufutau55:

Very good... we discussed about this earlier. Forget about the "Ninnies", they just don't have open mind ni.
I like to copy too o, and then modify. When something is good, then it's good.
Good work. I like very much... something different... Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.

I'm just sickened that I actually had to install burglary and barbed wire sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:42pm On Jul 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You are not the only one... it's only for deterrent that is not even 100% effective.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 08, 2017
mufutau55:

You are not the only one... it's only for deterrent that is not 100% effective.

Hajji M.

Oh for sure, this is why I did not go ape shit over the design of my burglary, the barbed wire and burglary are just two parts of a multi step defense system.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:36am On Jul 09, 2017
KolaShangOne:
The Lekki flood is here again..

Featuring Lekki
VI
Banana island etc..

What baffles and annoys me the most is that most of our neighbours build houses valued close to #70M, yet they cant spare just #1M to construct a frontage, street Gutter!

Every House owner should at least do his/her own frontage gutter to a prescribed 'standard' size so that rain water can flow easily.
Greedy b@st@rds! angry angry

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:44am On Jul 09, 2017
Daboomb:

What baffles and annoys me the most is that most of our neighbours build houses valued close to #70M, yet they cant spare just #1M to construct a frontage, street Gutter!

Every House owner should at least do his/her own frontage gutter to a prescribed 'standard' size so that rain water can flow easily.

1 million is too much sef..

I discovered it's a Nigerian thing. Most houses in Port-Harcourt do not construct drainages. For states like Lagos and Rivers that are at sea-level and with high volume of rain fall, it should be a criminal offence not to construct a drainage for every landlord.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:46am On Jul 09, 2017
EgunMogaji:

It's probably true. Fele is not always around.. But why use gun to collect a 3,500 phone.. lol..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:54am On Jul 09, 2017
Innu:
Good day experts and students in the house. Kindly assist as I have a challenge needing solutions.

1. There are usually water-soaked patches on the wall just below the Windows (casement) after every downpour. These are usually found on both sides of the wall (below the window) and remains for a very long time before drying out after days of intense sunshine.
What could be the cause and what are the possible solutions? These started after the windows' fixing and wall plastering. The fear of mould growth, wall weakening, paint peeling etc...

2. What is the best way to resolve leaking roof sheets (metcoppo) - after roofing? Does the same principle apply for leaks along the gutters and the leaks on other sides?

3. When the roof-sheet 'ears' on the parapet is so shortly extended that the rain run-offs runs on the parapet wall, creating water soaked patch.
what could be the solution?

@
Mufutau
Spider 880
Hajj
Skimanski
Etc over to you sirs.

2. Are your sheets 0.45mm or 0.55mm? Leaking is always difficult to trace.. Hard work. Buy Felt. Then, Watch out for corrugation points under the purlins. It's difficult but that's the only solution.

3. Quite difficult to rectify. You cannot extend ears. You many need to do a water collection system.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 9:34am On Jul 09, 2017
Builders in the house,

What does the term 70 naira per block, 80 naira per block above window level means in relation to labour cost of bricklayer setting of blocks?
Are cement mixers and block carriers paid daily?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by baaliyah(m): 10:39am On Jul 09, 2017
KolaShangOne:

2. Are your sheets 0.45mm or 0.55mm? Leaking is always difficult to trace.. Hard work. Buy Felt. Then, Watch out for corrugation points under the purlins. It's difficult but that's the only solution.

3. Quite difficult to rectify. You cannot extend ears. You many need to do a water collection system.

Oga Kola, you omited question 1.
I think the man has wet walls below the windows and needs possible solution. Your response would be appreciated.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 11:16am On Jul 09, 2017
rabcnesbit:
A quick question my people. How many bags of cement (estimate) will be required to plaster the interior of a 3-bed flat (3 bedrooms, one en-suite, toilet and bathroom, kitchen, living/dinning room, small store). Thank you.

My peeps, nobody able to assist me with my question above?

Also, with the price of cement being Dangote N2700, Lafarge N2650, and Elephant N2600, is there any particular reason why one can't use the cheaper Elephant as opposed to the more expensive (but popular) Dangote? And what is the difference between Dangote 42.5R and 52.5R?

Why the price of cement is still this high baffles me, as these prices were set when the naira was very low against £ and $ (about N600 to £1) and that was the reason given for the high prices of cement and other building materials. The naira has since appreciated significantly for many months now (about N455 to £1 at present), so what is their excuse now!

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 11:24am On Jul 09, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Not possible bros..
This looks like it's just an experiment in alternative building practices and not a cheaper mode of construction if you understand what I mean.

With those equipments in use, etc, it will probably cost more to build this in Nigeria than our usual bungalows.
My thought exactly...no be something like steel i dey see so....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 11:44am On Jul 09, 2017
Daboomb:

Abi ooo
they can spend 5m on high roof...just for people to see they have money...
Advise them to spend just 500k on drainage posing great threat to d building worth 70m....they won't...God help us in this country...

Imagine an area like lekki where rich people reside is flooded like one small rural town with only farmers...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 12:10pm On Jul 09, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Infact Oga EgunMogaji got it 150%. Lovely. I wander why you are not in this Line of Business to always satisfy customers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:16pm On Jul 09, 2017
skimanski:

If you can use the Pictorial depiction to calculate how much this will cost, you'd be surprise there are cheaper ways already been adopted in Parts of Nigeria. Because looking at the Pictures, even if one sac on this picture cost as Low as N50 it still a massive amount of sacs and the difference in cost of installing bricks might not be significantly more expensive.

We all know Nigerians like cheap things, so who wouldn't want a cheap construction? Just that the economy doesn't favor any cheap method.

I'm also of the view that it may not be cheaper if you contract the project, but if you go DIY to a major extent, it may be cheaper. If you go through Spyder880's comment and Adulwastecx comments as well, you will noticed they've pointed out some salient points and very vital points about this method. Like Spyder880, I will improve on the foundation, possibly adopt our normal foundation and take it from there. Adulwastecx commented about flexibility. Good point, but what is "fexibility" in a project like this? Can it be cheaper? So let's break things down like you said and crunch some numbers: This is for a Bungalow

Foundation

The bags are like the black jute bags in Nigeria sold for N10 retail or about N6 wholesale. But I will not use this method for foundation. I will use our normal method and for a moderate three bedroom Bungalow about N350K should deliver it.

Walling

Na here wahala start. How? Like Abulwastecx observed those timbers used in the eco project are very straight and as we know in Nigeria, we have a huge problem with affordable straight timber. Take a look at the timbers we use for roofing, they are ALL crooked and warped in most places. The crooked timbers don't come cheap. So this may mean we have to adapt a different way to overcome this. So either we turn a blind eye and use the crooked timber like we normally do with roofing or we build columns with just ONE rod in the column to save cost. So how many column will one build for the project? Quite a lot. If one adopt the use of timber and the "Z" metals holding the timber together, this alone can go for about N450K just for timber as you will need hardwood not just any cheap softwood.

RED MUD SAND(laterite). How many trips of 911 tipper at N10k per trip? 10 trips? that is N100K
Small black Bagco bags at N6 per bag? 3000? That is 3000 times 6 naira = N18K
Labour cost? No labour cost, it's DIY or minimum labour cost.

ROOFING
No cost advantage. Roof na roof, normal built or eco built. Roof na roof.

PLASTER
It will be more expensive to plaster the eco built as one will need to buy chicken wire to wrap the walls to hold the plaster to the bags. If not, the plaster mortar will not stick to the bags.

WIRING, WINDOW, PLUMBING, TILING, PAINTING, KITCHEN ETC

No cost advantage. All remain the same as normal build. So lets compare:

Foundation N350,000
Wood 450,000
Laterite 100,000
Bags 18,000

TOTAL: 918, 000 This is to roofing level. At this stage, the difference in costing stops. All other stages to completion that one will need to do will be the same cost as normal build.

Now the question to ask to get a clearer perspective between both approach is can one deliver a normal moderate bungalow to roofing level with N918,000 ?

If the answer is yes; then there is no cost advantage

If the answer is no, then there is a cost advantage. But how much is that cost advantage?

If the answer is less; then the normal build is cheaper.

So to all contractors in the house, Spyder880 and Abdulwastecx included, can you deliver a "moderate" bungalow with N918,000 to roofing level?

To all of us (my humble self) included, clients Egunmogaji and KolaShangOne aslo included; can we deliver a "moderate" bungalow to roofing level with N918, 000 or less?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 09, 2017
skimanski:

Infact Oga EgunMogaji got it 150%. Lovely. I wander why you are not in this Line of Business to always satisfy customers.

My Chief, I work in healthcare and have to provide 110% customer service or else someone dies or their future quality of life suffers grin

150cc of any drug is 150cc and must be delivered, you can't do "yodi" like our gravel/granite people in Nigeria.

Thanks once again Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2017
baaliyah:

Oga Kola, you omited question 1.
I think the man has wet walls below the windows and needs possible solution. Your response would be appreciated.

I think he said it's after it rains? Then his building is just facing frontal rainfall. Pipe leakage is also suspected.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:01pm On Jul 09, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Very necessary. At least it will deter all these little thieves.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 09, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Very necessary. At least it will deter all these little thieves.

IF they make it to the burglary then they're to be congratulated wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ibiboss: 6:11pm On Jul 09, 2017
Good evening nairalanders, i am back again and i need ideas on how to cut down cost and as well get good thing... I just finished roofing and doing d plastering which means we have done d wiring but honestly wiring alone cost a whole lots of money (over 2m on wire alone from coleman). Now i am running out of cash and d little i have left i need to tile d house. For now i need good and veru affordable tiles (i dont mind nigeria tiles), cheap and good doors for entrances (i dont mind iron doors so far it is strong and beautiful).Good and cheap sanitary wares (any good one aside tyford). Also i need to put light in d house (any idea of where to get it cheap). Also for painting, i need good paint that ia cheap and will not fade. Moreso, if not for my kids that are small, i woudnt have done d railings but i have to do them. Pls if you have idea of where to get all these cheap and i wouldnt mind...

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Buharidgeneral and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.