Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,534 members, 7,843,646 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (754) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4461384 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (751) (752) (753) (754) (755) (756) (757) ... (3684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:39am On Aug 17, 2017
[quote author=EgunMogaji post=59549410][/quote]
Remember the HEAT @ page 419? lol grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 10:56am On Aug 17, 2017
zeelo2014:
Hi everyone. How can I estimate the number of buckets or litres of paint for the exteriors of a building. Tks

https://www.nairaland.com/2114041/segzy14-classroom-learn-more-buildings/1#35623032

How to calculate the right amount of paint ...

Also, cc: danny34

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:46pm On Aug 17, 2017
Timtol:

Well said sir.
Thanks.
I understand things better sir n will do so sir.
I was ignorant of the message others are trying to pass maybe how they presented it or maybe my thought.

Really kudos sir.
Thanks.

I declare that as we all r here for a reason or d other God will surprise us n after all life's struggles we won't miss heaven to rest but our today's choice will determine how the hereafter will b.

Thanks alot.
And also to all those I might have had clash with sorry.
Also thanks to u all.
May ur oil never run dry.
Thanks once again.
I'm exceedingly glad.

Happy Next rest.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 17, 2017
[quote author=Daboomb post=59568019][/quote]

You dis man ehn? grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 17, 2017
erico2k2:

Remember the HEAT @ page 419? lol grin grin grin

There were lot's of little skirmishes during the years. A heck of a thread this one grin

Do you remember when all the "erukus" were brought in to complain to the mods to ban me?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
EgunMogaji:

There were lot's of little skirmishes during the years. A heck of a thread this one grin

Do you remember when all the "erukus" were brought in to complain to the mods to ban me?

ofcos lol where are they now ahahaah

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2017
erico2k2:

ofcos lol where are they now ahahaah

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 4:46pm On Aug 18, 2017
[quote author=EgunMogaji post=59431082][/quote] my guy trump never carry you come back naija ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 4:47pm On Aug 18, 2017
AngelicBeing:
The dog belongs to me wink
good you self Na matured dog . I am not surprise .... Pls my fellow Nigerians , where is our president ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 18, 2017
AZUH:
my guy trump never carry you come back naija ?

How can he? grin

Even my Wife who joined me here 4 years ago is now a US citizen.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2017
AZUH:
good you self Na matured dog . I am not surprise .... Pls my fellow Nigerians , where is our president ?
undecided

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whalleh: 6:49pm On Aug 18, 2017
Hello people.

I just need some inputs and advice concerning my situation. 

I have just completed the foundation for my twin flats (2bed and 1bedroom) and I'm about to take a decision on the German flooring. 

Due to cost constraints I have at the moment, I'm forced to think of other options that will possibly achieve the same end results. 

Instead of German flooring, I'm considering a 150mm thick concrete layer on the blocks alone throughout the entire foundation. I'm of the opinion that this option will stop ingress of moisture from the soil to the superstructure, prevent insects and rodents from moving through the soil to the roof, offer some sort of atabilizatin for the building and of course drastically reduce the cost associaTed with filling the entire foundation with concrete.

I'll like that you please look into my idea and advise me based on your experience.

Thanks in advance
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2017
whalleh:
Hello people.

I have just completed the foundation for my twin flats (2bed and 1bedroom) and I'm about to take a decision on the German flooring. 

Due to cost constraints I have at the moment, I'm forced to think of other options that will possibly achieve the same end results. 

Instead of German flooring, I'm considering a 150mm thick concrete layer on the blocks alone throughout the entire foundation. I'm of the opinion that this option will stop ingress of moisture from the soil to the superstructure, prevent insects and rodents from moving through the soil to the roof, offer some sort of atabilizatin for the building and of course drastically reduce the cost associaTed with filling the entire foundation with concrete.

I'll like that you please look into my idea and advise me based on your experience.

Thanks in advance

Just suck it up and do the German flooring.

Good luck.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:26pm On Aug 18, 2017
whalleh:
Hello people.

Thanks in advance

I do not know your cash constraints but it would be economical to do the flooring with a mixture of sharp sand and fine coarse (3/8"wink or coarse alone.

Nonetheless I'm sure you know that which you intend doing will be reinforced.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2017
bixton:

I do not know your cash constraints but it would be economical to do the flooring with a mixture of sharp sand and fine coarse (3/8"wink or coarse alone.

Nonetheless I'm sure you know that which you intend doing will be reinforced.

@bold not true
Why will he need reinforcement?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 7:58pm On Aug 18, 2017
whalleh:
Hello people.

Thanks in advance
At least it is better than doing nothing.
U will know u can easily floor inner spaces with concrete flooring without breaking into the walls whenever u are ready. But remember to mix the concrete with waterproof admixture.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2017
johnson232:

@bold not true
Why will he need reinforcement?

Read his post again.
Have you heard about the word "chaining"?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whalleh: 8:09pm On Aug 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Just suck it up and do the German flooring.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input. The idea is just to wave the issue of German flooring for now. I'll still end up floorin the entire building at a later time.

How about that?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 8:09pm On Aug 18, 2017
bixton:

Read his post again.
Have you heard about the word "chaining"?

He is not doing a plinth beam sir.
What he is proposing is not new, it is the method adopted by most people who can't afford a complete dpc.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whalleh: 8:12pm On Aug 18, 2017
johnson232:

At least it is better than doing nothing.
U will know u can easily floor inner spaces with concrete flooring without breaking into the walls whenever u are ready. But remember to mix the concrete with waterproof admixture.

Thanks so much for your input. That's actually the idea. I'll surEly take note of your advice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2017
whalleh:

Thanks for your input. The idea is just to wave the issue of German flooring for now. I'll still end up floorin the entire building at a later time.

How about that?

Okay, as an Ijebu Ode son of the soil, penny-pinching is in my DNA.

But I still did German floors on both of my buildings.

Your house will not fall down because you did not do German flooring. But after watching many professional builders on here, I came up with a decision that it is the right thing to do.

It's your house and your money, do what you think is right.

Good luck Sir.

PS: Run a search for the following astute, accomplished and demonstrated (over many shown builds) builders, Skimanski, Aventures, Spyder880, RichYoungRuler, ArchitectB, Darenyx and watch even their small bungalows and see the common element.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 8:39pm On Aug 18, 2017
whalleh:

Thanks so much for your input. That's actually the idea. I'll surEly take note of your advice.
Uwc sir.
Renowned builders have used this method before on this forum. Ensure u get a good carpenter to achieve a good level with the formwork.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 8:45pm On Aug 18, 2017
whalleh:

How about that?

Note that building a house involve stages ,things needs to be done in sequence.you can't lay the roofing sheet before doing the wood frames for your roof.
I think it's best to adhere to the stages to avoid stories that touch, I hope your build is not located within a waterlogged or lower water table area as this will have impact on your floor-leaking tiles from the ground and other issues associated with poor flooring.

Patiently wait to save enough to do the needful.just my layman advise times are hard

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ogedazzle: 8:50pm On Aug 18, 2017
AWESOME OFFER! UNBEATABLE PROMO

STAR GARDEN, BEST ESTATE WITH GREAT TOPOGRAPHY

StarCity Garden as the name implies is a sought for Estate. Great title, great proximity, great price good for investment and home ownership and owned by our very own great company Veritasi Homes and Properties Ltd

LOCATION: Igbogun Community, Ibeju Lekki 7minutes Drive from La-capaigne Tropicana.

TITLE:Survey
PROMO PRICE:N550k
PROMO:Buy 5 get 1 free PLOT.
Promo End Date: 25th August,
PLOT SIZE: 600SQM

Call/whats app:07039375005
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:02pm On Aug 18, 2017
johnson232:

He is not doing a plinth beam sir.
What he is proposing is not new, it is the method adopted by most people who can't afford a complete dpc.

Well I do not know what most people do over there.
This is what we do over here.
You can use R12(preferred) or R10.
Tell your iron bender to do same thing as for lintel. It should run continuous on all walls in the building. If you want to be economical you do it on all external walls and major walls cutting across the building. Depending on the span of your structure you can choose to introduce columns at all ends of your structure.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whalleh: 9:06pm On Aug 18, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Note that building a house involve stages ,things needs to be done in sequence.you can't lay the roofing sheet before doing the wood frames for your roof.
I think it's best to adhere to the stages to avoid stories that touch, I hope your build is not located within a waterlogged or lower water table area as this will have impact on your floor-leaking tiles from the ground and other issues associated with poor flooring.

Patiently wait to save enough to do the needful.just my layman advise times are hard

I really appreciate your candid opinion. The land is on a hard core area. Digging the foundation was quite a tough one at the time.

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whalleh: 9:10pm On Aug 18, 2017
bixton:

Tell your iron bender to do same thing as for lintel. It should run continuous on all walls in the building. If you want to be economical you do it on all external walls and major walls cutting across the building. Depending on the span of your structure you can choose to introduce columns at all ends of your structure.

Thanks. There are columns on strategic points in the foundation block wall. I'm considering using reinforcements on the extrenal walls only and on major internal walls.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 9:12pm On Aug 18, 2017
bixton:

Why do u think people reinforce german floor?
Did u see the thickness the poster is proposing?
If u remove concrete cover from such thickness, what do u think will be left for reinforcement to do chaining? Reinforcement done for german floor is slab like, not beam like, how are u going to chain a building with that? U chain a buildng with plinth beam, lintel & slab beam. not german floor. The reason for reinforcing german floor is different from chaining & it isn't necessary in this case.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by whalleh: 9:15pm On Aug 18, 2017
johnson232:

If u remove concrete cover from such thickness, what do u think will be left for reinforcement to do chaining? Reinforcement done for german floor is slab like, not beam like, how are u going to chain a building with that? U chain a buildng with plinth beam, lintel & slab beam. not german floor. The reason for reinforcing german floor is different from chaining & it isn't necessary in this case.

I think I'm really enjoying this discussion now.. What do u suggest I do sir? I'm looking at 150mm thick concrete
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:21pm On Aug 18, 2017
johnson232:

You keep mentioning german floor repeatedly. What I mentioned is for the walls alone(where blocks run). And I know all the reasons for it. Now as regards the concrete thickness he can choose to do a minimum of 4" thickness.

There are lots of less economical approach to the subject matter. It's all a matter of choice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 9:22pm On Aug 18, 2017
whalleh:

I think I'm really enjoying this discussion now.. What do u suggest I do sir? I'm looking at 150mm thick concrete
That is the purpose of the thread...for learning
150mm is the standard thickness for german floor, mix it with waterproof admixture. When u want to floor the inner spaces, u can cover it with polythene to serve as damp proofing. While your admixture is serving as damp proofing for concrete capping on walls, your polythene will serve same purpose for inner spaces. So issue of water rising is considerably solved. Damp proofing is a major reason for doing concrete capping.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (751) (752) (753) (754) (755) (756) (757) ... (3684) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.