Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,304 members, 7,829,711 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (885) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4430229 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (882) (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 11:00pm On Feb 27, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Can we discuss this adjustable height doors that I keep hearing about.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks.

The word adjustable means 2 things to me in this context; wooden doors that millimeters of the top and bottom can be shaved down by planing or steel doors that come from factory with a height adjustable fixture.

The common one i have seen of type 2 is the Isreali Steel door commonly available it Nigeria.

Tried to find pictures that will show it very well but this is what i can find.

Pic 1- note the bottom space, door frame is taller than door
Pic 2- note that frame is still taller than door after installation but a solid colour part of the door protrudes and now covers the bottom space. Also notice both doors in the picture have same protrusion
Pic 3- close up shot of the protruded fixture that seem to hang down from inside the door panel. Also notice an adjustment screw.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:22am On Feb 28, 2018
adanny01:

The word adjustable means 2 things to me in this context; wooden doors that millimeters of the top and bottom can be shaved down by planing or steel doors that come from factory with a height adjustable fixture.

The common one i have seen of type 2 is the Isreali Steel door commonly available it Nigeria.

Tried to find pictures that will show it very well but this is what i can find.

Pic 1- note the bottom space, door frame is taller than door
Pic 2- note that frame is still taller than door after installation but a solid colour part of the door protrudes and now covers the bottom space. Also notice both doors in the picture have same protrusion
Pic 3- close up shot of the protruded fixture that seem to hang down from inside the door panel. Also notice an adjustment screw.

Thank you, Sir.

That is surely interesting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 4:37am On Feb 28, 2018
gabbytabby:
Often times people stop themselves with what i call a defeatist attitude. You need to seriously carry out a feasibility study on what is possible and price. Even as we speak there are still plots on the fringes of Lagos state(in Ogun state) of less than 500k that people are using for commercial farming. I personally know one bought 2 plots for 550k about 4 years ago.

Often times people want to jump before they can roll and then choose to do nothing as the alternative. Wherever you are at the moment, make that count. If you choose to bail out then the hardwork mentality will already be there so that its just a location issue and you will always do well. If you lazy for 9ja chances are nothing changes even when you bail oh.

Last year I travelled into 9ja and the foreigner queue was longer(more than double) than that of the indigenous we need to figure out what is really happening under our noses that they are seeing and doing while we are screaming of no jobs.

I apologise Oga Mufutau

Madam Gabby you deserve a very well cooked plate of goat meat pepper soup and a bottle of beer to settle the food properly for this. �

Take out time and visit foreign birth section in passport office in Lagos. You will be shocked at the number of foreigners waiting to obtain Nigeria passport.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeyboy2o15(m): 6:45am On Feb 28, 2018
Any ideas of the current prices of cement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 28, 2018
abbeyboy2o15:
Any ideas of the current prices of cement.

N2,550 Elephant delivered to my site in Ibadan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeyboy2o15(m): 10:35am On Feb 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

N2,550 Elephant delivered to my site in Ibadan.
ok thanks, asking because the price that I was given is more than that. Is there any place to look for current price of building material, my site is in ibadan too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nbg4real: 11:34am On Feb 28, 2018
Good Morning all! please is it necessary to do over head beam after lintel and block work for ONE SLOPE ROOFING \ hidden roof?

CC: egunmogaji.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:56am On Feb 28, 2018
aonag:
i would like ti ask his question... which of these procedures come in the right order? tiling,door frame fixing,pop/pvc,electricity
Door frame fixing
POP/PVC
Tiles
Electrical fixtures
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2018
Hello engineers , my name is Victor - I m based in Ibadan with my office at POWA COMPLEX IYAGANKUN - I’m into office and home furniture of all kinds - secretary chairs , office tables , executive tables , bars , stools , TV consoles e.t.c

I also design stainless steels for homes and offices I.e interior and exterior designs - we calculate by number of meters -
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2018
abbeyboy2o15:
ok thanks, asking because the price that I was given is more than that. Is there any place to look for current price of building material, my site is in ibadan too.

2600 dangote in PHC
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
abbeyboy2o15:

People will milk you for as much as they can.

What I did was make a relationship with a couple of sellers. They even deliver to my site without payment first.

But as with anything Nigeria, you have to have 4 eyes.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeyboy2o15(m): 10:32pm On Feb 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

People will milk you for as much as they can.

What I did was make a relationship with a couple of sellers. They even deliver to my site without payment first.

But as with anything Nigeria, you have to have 4 eyes.
That is exactly the issue now, they have milk me in the past I don't want it to continue, they gave me a bogus fee to complete level before roofing so am trying to get all prices of materials and negotiating the rest. Most of this worker are not straightforward in their dealings.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 28, 2018
abbeyboy2o15:
That is exactly the issue now, they have milk me in the past I don't want it to continue, they gave me a bogus fee to complete level before roofing so am trying to get all prices of materials and negotiating the rest. Most of this worker are not straightforward in their dealings.

Afi ki olorun ko wa yo.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 12:30am On Mar 01, 2018
ice4u999:

Madam Gabby you deserve a very well cooked plate of goat meat pepper soup and a bottle of beer to settle the food properly for this. �

Take out time and visit foreign birth section in passport office in Lagos. You will be shocked at the number of foreigners waiting to obtain Nigeria passport.

As a foreigner with any shade of light complexion, Nigeria is the place to be for life.

In which other country in the world will a foreigner start life from the top? Free house, maids, cooks, security, transportation and no taxes.

They are off the grid. Some locals go as far as having them front for their companies as foreign partners.

/

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:53am On Mar 01, 2018
InvertedHammer:

As a foreigner with any shade of light complexion, Nigeria is the place to be for life.

In which other country in the world will a foreigner start life from the top? Free house, maids, cooks, security, transportation and no taxes.

They are off the grid. Some locals go as far as having them front for their companies as foreign partners.

/

wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MPVGoddess: 5:20am On Mar 01, 2018
Please watch this video especially at 9:10 to 9:25 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZp0oaB1Wqw

Any recommendations for a reliable brand of Concrete and Brick Diamond Circular Saw

How much does it cost to get one? (Purchase)

Assuming the cost is prohibitive and so not cost-effective for a single project, are they available for rent?(rent per day)

In Abuja?

I am interested in putting up a building, but if I had my way, I want to blocks to be sliced this way and not the Nigerian way, if you know what I am talking about.

Two reasons:
1. It is just beautiful due to the symmetry
2. It will reduce/eliminate wastage of cement blocks

If you have one for sale or rent, please add your contact details in your signature and I will get back to you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:55am On Mar 01, 2018
Nbg4real:
Good Morning all! please is it necessary to do over head beam after lintel and block work for ONE SLOPE ROOFING \ hidden roof?

If u already have columns & probably wanna achieve a frame structure, u can do it.
But if your build is block work, i don't really see much need for it, flat roofs don't exert much load.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeyboy2o15(m): 8:29am On Mar 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Afi ki olorun ko wa yo.
Amen.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by meohio7777: 10:21am On Mar 01, 2018
Amin oo.. Osan ti pan aye ti gbon lol
EgunMogaji:

Afi ki olorun ko wa yo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 10:38am On Mar 01, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/
kano state is the second home of Lebanese in Nigeria, they are almost been worshipped in kano, most of the companies in kano in particular belong to them, they even have a road named after them called Beirut road,

l worked with several of them those days in Nigeria and I can say without exaggeration that they are crafty, subtle and are not ready to do things the normal way, they front for their rich brothers in Lebanon and also use some northerners in Nigeria to milk the system, they are not in Nigeria to count the bridges but to milk the system via the backdoor

During the era of the late Abacha, I can mention lots of Lebanese national that Fronted for Abacha in kano, they eat, wear, drive and live the best in Nigeria and they even treat few Nigerians as slaves because they have the police at their Beck and call to their advantage

I, speak especially from my experience in kano during my youth service and also worked with many of them, Nigeria is like US to them and, they will do anything to carry our citizenship not necessarily out of patriotism but to take advantage of a place void of proper regulations, many of them carry Nigeria passport, so you are absolutely correct with your post

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 10:57am On Mar 01, 2018
Set2build is awake!

.....Back from hibernating in the winter grin grin grin

The most updated and comprehensive pricelist of building materials in Lagos is still available and online.

visit www.set2build.com/market-prices

Remember you can also check out building materials by brand and in more detail.
www.set2build.com

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 11:00am On Mar 01, 2018
set2build:
Set2build is awake!

.....Back from hibernating in the winter grin grin grin

The most updated and comprehensive pricelist of building materials in Lagos is still available and online.

visit www.set2build.com/market-prices

Remember you can also check out building materials by brand and in more detail.
www.set2build.com
https://www.set2build.com/featured-vendors
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 11:58am On Mar 01, 2018
hello house,what do you guys think of having two stair cases in a duplex built on half plot of land,and pls which roofing style is better

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 11:58am On Mar 01, 2018
or this

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 01, 2018
Nbg4real:

1) what did the architect/structural engineer specify in the building plans?

2) it depends on the shortcuts that you’re prepared to take on your project. Some don’t do columns, some do columns without baskets, some don’t do a monolithic floor, etc

Good luck on your project.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 01, 2018
asids55:
or this

Please what is the length and breadth of this design?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 01, 2018
MPVGoddess:
Please watch this video especially at 9:10 to 9:25 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZp0oaB1Wqw

Any recommendations for a reliable brand of Concrete and Brick Diamond Circular Saw

How much does it cost to get one? (Purchase)

Assuming the cost is prohibitive and so not cost-effective for a single project, are they available for rent?(rent per day)

In Abuja?

I am interested in putting up a building, but if I had my way, I want to blocks to be sliced this way and not the Nigerian way, if you know what I am talking about.

Two reasons:
1. It is just beautiful due to the symmetry
2. It will reduce/eliminate wastage of cement blocks

If you have one for sale or rent, please add your contact details in your signature and I will get back to you.

In my opinion, you may not get much satisfaction from attempting to saw regular Nigerian blocks. They’ll just break.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MPVGoddess: 2:57pm On Mar 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:

In my opinion, you may not get much satisfaction from attempting to saw regular Nigerian blocks. They’ll just break.

Thank you...does that include those said to be made from stone dust and cement?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 01, 2018
MPVGoddess:

Thank you...does that include those said to be made from stone dust and cement?

It’s the content of cement in the mix. Cement is the “glue” that binds either stone dust or sharp sand together in the blocks.

I don’t think the need to saw is worth the end result. IMHO.

Believe me I tried this fancy block work thing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 3:28pm On Mar 01, 2018
asids55:
hello house,what do you guys think of having two stair cases in a duplex built on half plot of land,and pls which roofing style is better

I'll go with the first (black - Hip) roof - less maintenance cost on the long run........

2 staircases ? - well, what we have are standards or minimum requirements - the minimum requirement is obviously 1 stairs but by choice and for other reasons (including security, functionality, choice) you can have 2, 3, or 4.....

GoodLuck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dremca(m): 4:00pm On Mar 01, 2018
What could be the reason why smart lock is not commonly used in Nigerian homes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 4:16pm On Mar 01, 2018
saydfact:

I'll go with the first (black - Hip) roof - less maintenance cost on the long run........

2 staircases ? - well, what we have are standards or minimum requirements - the minimum requirement is obviously 1 stairs but by choice and for other reasons (including security, functionality, choice) you can have 2, 3, or 4.....

GoodLuck

what kind of cost can one run into in the long run?

(1) (2) (3) ... (882) (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: CELEBRITYSAND, RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.