Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (929) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4399617 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (926) (927) (928) (929) (930) (931) (932) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
money121:

Hahaha fear to get job of 1.5m I swear ur moniker fit you..

Check that Review about me.. from my Loyal clients.. if you don't like it.

Feel free to deactivate your acct...
1.5m is nothing & u have been posting reviews all over this thread & throwing insults because of the money?

My brother arrogance pays no one...

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 9:14pm On Apr 04, 2018
Rubbiish:

1.5m is nothing & u have been posting reviews all over this thread & throwing insults because of the money?

My brother arrogance pays no one...

Rubbiish Stop all this Rubbiish tongue tongue
That Review is ur headache.... Hahaha E Pain Am

Another Review Below tongue

If you like believe if you like don't believe.

Your Cup of Coffee

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Babs612000(m): 9:28pm On Apr 04, 2018
money121:

Rubbiish Stop all this Rubbiish tongue tongue
That Review is ur headache.... Hahaha E Pain Am

Another Review Below tongue

If you like believe if you like don't believe.

Your Cup of Coffee

Please enough of this issue .

12 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 9:31pm On Apr 04, 2018
Nothing does more damage to a brand than inability to manage one's anger. It only shows how u manage your clients. Pls lets be civil.

Expert in the house pls which have more advantage btw concrete & steel tank stand?
Thanks

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 04, 2018
Barryton:
Nothing does more damage to a brand than inability to manage one's anger. It only shows how u manage your clients. Pls lets be civil.

Expert in the house pls which have more advantage btw concrete & steel tank stand?
Thanks

We recently went over this actually. Maybe 5 to 7 pages ago. Spyder880 chimed in.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 9:45pm On Apr 04, 2018
Babs612000:

Please enough of this issue .

Thanks so much my oga
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 9:49pm On Apr 04, 2018
EgunMogaji:

We recently went over this actually. Maybe 5 to 7 pages ago. Spyder880 chimed in.
I just withdraw a steel tank stand i gave to a welder, because i was sceptical abt his price & proficiency. Up till date we still relate peacefully & he will be visiting my site tomorrow. I believe every client have the right to withdraw a job if he is having double mind and i don't think is enough reason for the contractor to start making obnoxious statements about the client. It is absolutely rude and kills future relationship. People are watching, how we relate with people matters alot. If there is anyone i respect most in this forum is abdulwastecx, i haven't see him make snide remark for once. That is what i call professionalism, it cuts across how u relate with people, it isn't all about doing a good job. Just an advise!

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 10:28pm On Apr 04, 2018
Sprumbabafather:

And so, I am a pagan, living in Akwa Ibom and going about my normal duties in Uyo. I step out on the bus stop and didn't stand on any lines. A bus pulls up and I move and try to enter the bus, then a small boy in khaki and boots rush at me with koboko and flog me till I cry and beg. I am not in a sharia state and not a sharia adherent, and you want me to be happy.?

What is wrong with our brains?

Chai cry
/

The good news is that next time you will stand in line without being prompted.

/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ottersberger(m): 10:40pm On Apr 04, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I think we can.

I remember going to Gotshalcks (sp) in Ibadan when my dad was building a house in the mid 70’s.

It was a warehouse filled with building materials.

Does anybody remember CFAO?

Nigeria did take a nosedive but it can be turned around and I’m getting ready to do my little part.

You forgot these establishments were set up and largely managed by the British Oga. Leventis, Bata, etc.

They died when their owners left them in Nigerian hands.

Even shoprite materialized courtesy of our South African friends.

I'm reluctantly begining to believe in the Nigerian curse.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 10:51pm On Apr 04, 2018
There is a state of emergency, Please Be More Wary than usual.

Brand Engraving on the Insulation or sheating is no longer sufficient proof of authenticity for identifying genuine Cables, as a matter of fact that is currently the greatest tool of deception in the hands of counterfeiters now. They have realized that once you are able to achieve this, and successfully bring them into the country, you have landed a goldmine, it'll sell like hot akara.
sellers are making a fortune from rushing these cheap substandard cables and scammming people with full confidence, because the branding is Clearly there for you to see, Nigeria is in a Deeep mess!!!!
This is obviously not new, but the current magnitude is !!... Right now the scale of circulation, the level of Imitation Is unprecedented my people, it has never been this bad! 70 to 80% of the cables in the open market are imported cables!
Please stop buying cables based off of seeing engraved branding alone. You need to take extra measures.

I Visited a shop yesterday and while I was sitting and discussing with an acquaintance, somebody delivered some bags of cables to his neighbour; also an acquaintance, who i know sells imported cables. I playfully asked the guy, " which one is this one again that you people are carrying up and down " the guy laughed and replied " Na COLEMAN be that o" , I smiled thinking he was just being sarcastic and simply said that because he knew I was a strictly COLEMAN person , out of curiousity I casually picked one of the cables in a half open bag and was staring at some funnily coiled cable, it was wound so small that there was almost no space in the centre and also sealed in a nylon ( like kabelmetal & purechem) I checked the branding on the nylon and saw our usual imported cable branding style.. Ezekings Nigeria Wire or something like that I cannot recall. This guy was just teasing me afterall,….or so I thought.But the guy who kept Smilng repeated what he said earlier , "I say na COLEMAN be that" I looked at the Cable again trying to understand what in the world he was talking about,...but this is Ezesomething na, I reiterated looking bewildered , .... they both kept smiling..... and then it hit me!!! .. The branding on the sealed Nylon was just a carmouflage!!!, what was inside that sealed Nylon was infact, substandard trash branded as COLEMAN but sealed and imported under a different brand name.

It turns out The impractical coiling is to maximize container space, and it didn't matter because they would eventually uncoil the cables and recoil them to a shape similar to that of COLEMAN's and then repackage with the proper COLEMAN coiling nylon and label. Easy, stress-free counterfeiting. At the end of the day you get a counterfeit with the correct brand name , correct spelling , correct label, correct everything.
A dirt cheap cable that falls short in both diameter, conductor content, and length.. sold at cheaper than distributor prices with humongous profit margins. I was tempted to take a picture but i didn't want to raise thier suspicions. They also moved the cables out shortly after, headed to God knows where, to be baptised and reborn and bought and used by innocent unsuspecting persons.
The question now becomes, How do you shop for cables or correctly identify a genuine coil, especially as an end user.

1. Buy from a distributor and pickup from the factory. This is marginally cheaper than buying directly frm the factory and also gives a 100% guarantee of genuity. I personally encourage customers to pickup from the factory particularly for large orders as This is a win win situation for everybody; for me it eliminates both stocking and transportation costs, and for the buyer it gives factory guarantee at better than factory price. Even people who reside outside the state can have someone pickup on their behalf. The only challenge with this is in the case of small orders.

2. Buy and pickup from an “Appointed and Approved” (not assumed or self conferred) distributor. This does not give a 100% guarantee of authenticity, but it is your best bet in an open market or in a situation where u cannot access the above alternative. Your risk is minimal . But not every distributor operates with the same level of integrity, so do your own genuity verification nonetheless.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 10:54pm On Apr 04, 2018
3. If you cannot avail yourself of any of the above options, and are stuck with buying from other retailers, you will simply have to be able to Correctly identify a genuine cable otherwise your chances of ending up with the real thing is less than 30%.
Since you cannot rely on engraved branding, How do you correctly identify genuine cable? ‘’
Conductor diameter and coil weight

All substandard cables will possess either of the below characteristics or a combination of two.

- undersized (smaller diameter than the standard) ,
-short length (considerably shorter than the standard 100m length) ,
-made from a cheaper less conductive material like iron or some alloy (which is the most dangerous scenario).

The conductor diameter and coil weight of an imported substandard cable can NEVERRRR match that of a genuine local brand. If it did, it would cost just as much or more, which defeats the purpose. .
Every standard cable size has a corresponding conductor diameter, for instance a 1.5mmsq single core cable will have a conductor dia of approx 1.38mm while a 2.5mmsq single core cable will have a diameter of approx 1.78mm etc. with the aid of a vernier calliper or micrometer screw guage you can verify these dimensions. Digital gauges and callipers are not too expensive these days, it would do you good to just have them.
In the absence of the above you can employ what is arguably the best Authentication method. The ultimate litmus test for genuity of a cable Is the coil weight. This is because the weight of a given coil of cable is dependent on the three main properties we’re interested in. The length of conductor, diameter of the conductor, and unit mass. So it easlily reveals the shortcomings in any of those areas. es

If the diameter is too small, there is a “very noticeable” reduction in weight
If the length is short there is also a substantial reduction in weight.
If the conductor is iron, it’ll be heavier than it should be, if its made of alloy it’ll be lighter.

So armed with a portable digital scale (the kind you can put in a bag) and information on the approximate weight of a coil of each cable size, you can quickly and correctly ascertain authenticity.

I have come up with an idea. As time permits , I will provide information on the approximate weight of a number of sizes.I will be arriving at the figures for each size by taking the weight of three randomly selected samples from a pool of about 100 coils , to arrive at an average figure or range, as well as see the degree of variation within the pool. I will be opening a thread documenting the weighting process and results. I will be doing this for COLEMAN cables only. It would be nice to have someone else try the same for another brand and post results too.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:56pm On Apr 04, 2018
FOOD FOR THOUGHT

"Those whose palm-kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble." Chinue Achebe ; Things Fall Apart.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
diordaves:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT

"Those whose palm-kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble." Chinue Achebe ; Things Fall Apart.

I also love this astute phrase "Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad" . A phrase spoken by Prometheus in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "The Masque of Pandora" (1875).

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 11:01pm On Apr 04, 2018
I constantly use approximate and range, because things like insulation thickness and length can sometimes vary , but in very minute degree.
coils from the factory can sometimes range between 95m to 105m . its just the reality. no manufacturing process is 100% flawless. But as earlier stated, the occurence is minimal and the impact with regards to weight difference is insignificant aswell.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mike2mike: 11:08pm On Apr 04, 2018
Odibo estate for sale here in Warri.....it consists of four bedroom units (bungalow)

Price::::300M(negotiable)

Interested buyers should contact 08063767655 for inspection and negotiations......

INTERESTED BUYERS ONLY!!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:58pm On Apr 04, 2018
dejavus:
Hi All,

Can I kindly ask for a critique of the proposed floor plan for a project in IB. Its a Twin Semi-Detached Duplex.

*positioning and size of toilets. There's one without a window there
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:18am On Apr 05, 2018
This market of fake wires is a multi-billion naira market and it scares me because I cannot recognise an original cable anymore. These fake wires tick all the boxes. Size, Weight, branding etc

Best bet for everyone, Client and Engineers alike, is to pick up from the factory .

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:43am On Apr 05, 2018
KolaShangOne:
This market of fake wires is a multi-billion naira market and it scares me because I cannot recognise an original cable anymore. These fake wires tick all the boxes. Size, Weight, branding etc

Best bet for everyone, Client and Engineers alike, is to pick up from the factory .

Which manufacturer has the closest factory to Ibadan?

I get physically uncomfortable the closer that I get to Lasgidi.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:04am On Apr 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

grin
Unfortunately you have to get to Aseese. You won't get to Lagos though.. There's a Coleman factory there.. But they won't sell to you directly. You have to order through a big man like @allcopacetic

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by pragmatistm(m): 4:49am On Apr 05, 2018
Good morning house. Please I need enlightenment. If you have wardrobe built into the rooms in a flat but the top is left uncovered, which way is better to cover the top? Is it by using planks when the cabinet is being constructed or by making a concrete slab for the top? Thanks for your response.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:19am On Apr 05, 2018
pragmatistm:
Good morning house. Please I need enlightenment. If you have wardrobe built into the rooms in a flat but the top is left uncovered, which way is better to cover the top? Is it by using planks when the cabinet is being constructed or by making a concrete slab for the top? Thanks for your response.

I have a space demarcated for a wardrobe.

What I did was build a custom size wardrobe, full height floor tile to ceiling pop, that slotted right into the spot.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:35am On Apr 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

You have to get close to my house grin grin or Ishagamu express way
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:42am On Apr 05, 2018
The manufacturers of cable are not really doing enough... Had an issue with one of there supposed distributor last year... The distributor has some fake and some original cable... Up till now the guy is still in the market... Was thinking they will withdrew his license but hell no

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:52am On Apr 05, 2018
twinskenny:
The manufacturers of cable are not really doing enough... Had an issue with one of there supposed distributor last year... The distributor has some fake and some original cable... Up till now the guy is still in the market... Was thinking they will withdrew his license but hell no

And there’s no reason for them not to have factory outlets in major cities.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:27am On Apr 05, 2018
dejavus:
Hi All,

Can I kindly ask for a critique of the proposed floor plan for a project in IB. Its a Twin Semi-Detached Duplex.

For the first floor, you can switch the the master room to the private living room on the right section.
Attached pix is for ground floor.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:50am On Apr 05, 2018
Barryton:

Thanks
Sir i think u should go for the steel tank stand.
Like someone suggested, it is movable & looks lighter than concrete.
Cost difference is what i really don't know.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 7:43am On Apr 05, 2018
KolaShangOne:

You're correct Boss. A factory pickup gives the greatest guarantee.

But I will disagree with you about substandard cables having the same weight and diameter as genuine local options Sir. This is what I do, and i can affirm to you that that is not the case.

If an imported cable is made of copper, has the same diameter and weight as an original Nigeria cable, then that cable cannot be described as substandard. Because it meets the necessary standards.
For a cable to be substandard it MUST fall short of certain standards. Either in composition, conductor diameter or length.

Foreign brands like Doncaster are imported, but they meet the necessary ISO standards, they also cost reasonably more than locally made brands... Which is inevitable, that's just the economics.

You cannot manufacture to standard in China, ship to Nigeria, pay duty & other fees and still compete favourably with local brands... Its Impossible. And No counterfeiter will bring in a counterfeit that'll cost more than the real thing.

Get the best counterfeit cable you can find, take time to actually measure the diameter, measure the length and weight, then compare with any original. You'll see for yourself. your opinion will be based on empirical evidence.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 7:48am On Apr 05, 2018
KolaShangOne:

grin
Unfortunately you have to get to Aseese. You won't get to Lagos though.. There's a Coleman factory there.. But they won't sell to you directly. You have to order through a big man like @allcopacetic
They'll actually sell to just about anybody, so far say you hold your money, albeit at a higher rate, so as to sustain the chain of distribution.

How work, hope that our project is coming along fine.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 8:10am On Apr 05, 2018
bixton:

For the first floor, you can switch the the master room to the private living room on the right section.
Attached pix is for ground floor.

Many thanks for taking the time to attach this sketch, that's some sound advice there. will take this on board also. Will update this thread.

Cheers.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:42am On Apr 05, 2018
dejavus:

Many thanks for taking the time to attach this sketch, that's some sound advice there. will take this on board also. Will update this thread.

Cheers.

If you do your staircase well you can use the space underneath it at the ground floor level.
Goodluck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:56am On Apr 05, 2018
allCopacetic:
There is a state of emergency, Please Be More Wary than usual.

Brand Engraving on the Insulation or sheating is no longer sufficient proof of authenticity for identifying genuine Cables, as a matter of fact that is currently the greatest tool of deception in the hands of counterfeiters now. They have realized that once you are able to achieve this, and successfully bring them into the country, you have landed a goldmine, it'll sell like hot akara.
sellers are making a fortune from rushing these cheap substandard cables and scammming people with full confidence, because the branding is Clearly there for you to see, Nigeria is in a Deeep mess!!!!
This is obviously not new, but the current magnitude is !!... Right now the scale of circulation, the level of Imitation Is unprecedented my people, it has never been this bad! 70 to 80% of the cables in the open market are imported cables!
Please stop buying cables based off of seeing engraved branding alone. You need to take extra measures.

I Visited a shop yesterday and while I was sitting and discussing with an acquaintance, somebody delivered some bags of cables to his neighbour; also an acquaintance, who i know sells imported cables. I playfully asked the guy, " which one is this one again that you people are carrying up and down " the guy laughed and replied " Na COLEMAN be that o" , I smiled thinking he was just being sarcastic and simply said that because he knew I was a strictly COLEMAN person , out of curiousity I casually picked one of the cables in a half open bag and was staring at some funnily coiled cable, it was wound so small that there was almost no space in the centre and also sealed in a nylon ( like kabelmetal & purechem) I checked the branding on the nylon and saw our usual imported cable branding style.. Ezekings Nigeria Wire or something like that I cannot recall. This guy was just teasing me afterall,….or so I thought.But the guy who kept Smilng repeated what he said earlier , "I say na COLEMAN be that" I looked at the Cable again trying to understand what in the world he was talking about,...but this is Ezesomething na, I reiterated looking bewildered , .... they both kept smiling..... and then it hit me!!! .. The branding on the sealed Nylon was just a carmouflage!!!, what was inside that sealed Nylon was infact, substandard trash branded as COLEMAN but sealed and imported under a different brand name.

It turns out The impractical coiling is to maximize container space, and it didn't matter because they would eventually uncoil the cables and recoil them to a shape similar to that of COLEMAN's and then repackage with the proper COLEMAN coiling nylon and label. Easy, stress-free counterfeiting. At the end of the day you get a counterfeit with the correct brand name , correct spelling , correct label, correct everything.
A dirt cheap cable that falls short in both diameter, conductor content, and length.. sold at cheaper than distributor prices with humongous profit margins. I was tempted to take a picture but i didn't want to raise thier suspicions. They also moved the cables out shortly after, headed to God knows where, to be baptised and reborn and bought and used by innocent unsuspecting persons.
The question now becomes, How do you shop for cables or correctly identify a genuine coil, especially as an end user.

1. Buy from a distributor and pickup from the factory. This is marginally cheaper than buying directly frm the factory and also gives a 100% guarantee of genuity. I personally encourage customers to pickup from the factory particularly for large orders as This is a win win situation for everybody; for me it eliminates both stocking and transportation costs, and for the buyer it gives factory guarantee at better than factory price. Even people who reside outside the state can have someone pickup on their behalf. The only challenge with this is in the case of small orders.

2. Buy and pickup from an “Appointed and Approved” (not assumed or self conferred) distributor. This does not give a 100% guarantee of authenticity, but it is your best bet in an open market or in a situation where u cannot access the above alternative. Your risk is minimal . But not every distributor operates with the same level of integrity, so do your own genuity verification nonetheless.

Scary. Very scary scenario. Yet some clients won't care. They just collect the quote with the least cost and pay.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:04am On Apr 05, 2018
spyder880:

Scary. Very scary scenario. Yet some clients won't care. They just collect the quote with the least cost and pay.
baba no be small thing o... We are rewiring a house around ajah house nearly got burnt cause of fake 4mm cable Thank God the owner was at home before the incident... It's better to pay the price than to be sorry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (926) (927) (928) (929) (930) (931) (932) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: zekepio(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.